Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mr. Robot (USA) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/24/15

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Mr. Robot (USA) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - premieres 6/24/15

Hainvg hot seen the finale, I would go as far as they broke their own rules if they are going for the Fight Club idea. There are times where it would be really difficult to believe Elliot was in every scenario where we were shown the dad interacting with others. The idea of this split personality things doesn't bother me as long as it all works within what was shown to the viewer. But seems like there are too many cases in this show where it couldn't work.
Old 08-27-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Hainvg hot seen the finale, I would go as far as they broke their own rules if they are going for the Fight Club idea. There are times where it would be really difficult to believe Elliot was in every scenario where we were shown the dad interacting with others. The idea of this split personality things doesn't bother me as long as it all works within what was shown to the viewer. But seems like there are too many cases in this show where it couldn't work.
That's why FC works in retrospect - Both Tyler and the Narrator were always seen together.

I think the explanation here will be that the other tangential characters (like Romeo) are probably also figments. I think that the proof of that comes in the fact at the end of the last episode, there was no one at FSociety but Tyrell and Elliot.
Old 08-27-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I think the explanation here will be that the other tangential characters (like Romeo) are probably also figments. I think that the proof of that comes in the fact at the end of the last episode, there was no one at FSociety but Tyrell and Elliot.
That could explain it, but they should make that more clear if that is the official explanation.

But was there any scenes with any Fsociety members talking to each other that were no Elliot and the dad? I thought there was at least one only between the sister and one of the others.
Old 08-27-15, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are going to have your hands full figuring this all out because the show doesn't make clear when we're seeing things as bird-in-the-sky viewers (which means we should trust our eyes) vs when we're seeing things from Elliott's point of view. Not only can't we trust anything we've seen from Elliott's point of view, but we can't even be sure most of the time which point of view we're getting.

The onion is still unraveling.
Old 08-29-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MikahC
You guys are going to have your hands full figuring this all out because the show doesn't make clear when we're seeing things as bird-in-the-sky viewers (which means we should trust our eyes) vs when we're seeing things from Elliott's point of view. Not only can't we trust anything we've seen from Elliott's point of view, but we can't even be sure most of the time which point of view we're getting.

The onion is still unraveling.
Food for thought. Maybe it's all like the fourth season of Til Death.
Old 08-30-15, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean, if you couldn't tell this was basically fight club from the first episode, then you haven't seen fight club enough and shouldn't be bitching about a "remake" or "homage" or more to the point, a blended bastard child of the social network and fight club.

Even with it pretty damn clear that this was taking every page out of fight club and running with it, I enjoyed all the episodes up till now. Fight Club? Pretty much. But it has been 15 years already. I think there's ample amount of time between the two that a new generation could vocalize their sort of rebel yell like Fight Club did for the folks of the time then.
Old 08-30-15, 10:28 AM

All that may be true but I don't know that I'll be around for the 2nd season.
Old 08-30-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I haven't thought that Mr. Robot's worth has hinged on its Fight Club motifs. They are in the show but there is a lot going on to enjoy that has nothing to do with Fincher's movie.
Old 08-31-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I mean, if you couldn't tell this was basically fight club from the first episode, then you haven't seen fight club enough and shouldn't be bitching about a "remake" or "homage" or more to the point, a blended bastard child of the social network and fight club.

Even with it pretty damn clear that this was taking every page out of fight club and running with it, I enjoyed all the episodes up till now. Fight Club? Pretty much. But it has been 15 years already. I think there's ample amount of time between the two that a new generation could vocalize their sort of rebel yell like Fight Club did for the folks of the time then.
The themes were similar, but that didn't necessarily make me jump to thinking they'd use the same gimmick.
Old 08-31-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope my DVR records the finale since it thinks it actually did already. I had to do a search and manually set it to record. The episode listing last week said it was 1 hour 9 minutes and now it says it is an hour, unless it just hasn't updated in the guide yet.
Old 08-31-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I hope my DVR records the finale since it thinks it actually did already. I had to do a search and manually set it to record. The episode listing last week said it was 1 hour 9 minutes and now it says it is an hour, unless it just hasn't updated in the guide yet.
My dvr was set to record for an hour a couple days ago, but updated to 75 minutes yesterday. Just manually set yours to record for 90 minutes just to be safe.
Old 08-31-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I haven't thought that Mr. Robot's worth has hinged on its Fight Club motifs. They are in the show but there is a lot going on to enjoy that has nothing to do with Fincher's movie.
I agree. There is a lot more to it than just the Fight Club aspect, sure that's a big part of it, but it's a surprisingly solid show regardless.
Old 08-31-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I agree. There is a lot more to it than just the Fight Club aspect, sure that's a big part of it, but it's a surprisingly solid show regardless.
Same here.

I marathoned the entire season this weekend. I even decided to buy the season in Amazon Prime to avoid all the commercials. And support the show.

Hopefully we don't have a Heroes S1 finale
Old 09-01-15, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I banged out the entire 9 episode lot in the last two days as well. Not only is it exactly like Fight Club but Tyrell is clearly modeled after Patrick Bateman.

Fight Club and American Psycho are two of my favorite movies so it's not a surprise that I've really enjoyed this as well. Looking forward to the finale.

And great use of The Cure in the episode after Shayla dies.
Old 09-02-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

TSN? WTF?

You seem to be the one not getting it.

And BTW - NO ONE is saying that they couldn't tell it wasn't FC from the start. You are misreading that as well.
Old 09-02-15, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

You don't see the social network.. or just fincher's touch all along this? Come on now.
Old 09-02-15, 10:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

I had a chuckle at the shot of Elliot choking himself in the cafe.

I enjoyed it and will be back next season.

Watching Law & Order pays off as I'm not sure I would have caught that was Whiterose talking to Price in the scene after the credits if I didn't recognize B.D. Wong.
Old 09-02-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

wasn't the wrist watch beeping suppose to be the tip off there?

Good season finale. Looking forward to where this goes next.
Old 09-03-15, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

That was DB Wong in the post-credits scene, right? They kept not wanting to show his face.

Anyhoo, a bit of a disappointing season finale for me. Even with the thing going off, it felt strangely unsatisfying. What I'm not looking forward to is how next season they'll inevitably get to those missing two days - I hate going back like that - I'd rather shows keep moving forward. I just hope they don't stretch it out.
Old 09-03-15, 01:32 AM

Well that finale fell a little flat. Still a worthy show IMO.

Elliot said something in his thoughts about Robot killing Tyrell. Are we to think Elliot offed him?

It was that mundane I found myself being distracted by other things. So correct me if I missed something
Old 09-03-15, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It seems pretty inevitable that the first episode or two next season will be completely going over those missing days.
Old 09-03-15, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought the finale was pretty damn good and thought this season was great overall.

While the whole thing felt like it's been done before that didn't stop the show from being very enjoyable.

I guess next season will focus on if or how Elliot killed Tyrell. We know we have Chekhov's Gun in the popcorn machine. After that it seems that White Rose and the Evil Corp guy will try to track down Fsociety. And of course, who knocked on Elliot's door? Good set up for next season. Hopefully they can keep up the good work.

You don't see the social network.. or just fincher's touch all along this? Come on now.
I definitely saw some Fincher in the shows tone but that seems to be an offshoot of the whole Fight Club "homage" thing the show had going on. I didn't see anything that was specific to Social Network or any of Fincher's other movies outside of Fight Club.

"Homage" doesn't feel like the right word but at the same time I don't want to use the term "rip off". Either way, I hope Chuck Palahniuk is getting royalties from this show.
Old 09-03-15, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Tyrell is alive. I think that was him on the TV for f society.
Old 09-03-15, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I thought the finale was pretty damn good and thought this season was great overall.

While the whole thing felt like it's been done before that didn't stop the show from being very enjoyable.

I guess next season will focus on if or how Elliot killed Tyrell. We know we have Chekhov's Gun in the popcorn machine. After that it seems that White Rose and the Evil Corp guy will try to track down Fsociety. And of course, who knocked on Elliot's door? Good set up for next season. Hopefully they can keep up the good work.

I definitely saw some Fincher in the shows tone but that seems to be an offshoot of the whole Fight Club "homage" thing the show had going on. I didn't see anything that was specific to Social Network or any of Fincher's other movies outside of Fight Club.

"Homage" doesn't feel like the right word but at the same time I don't want to use the term "rip off". Either way, I hope Chuck Palahniuk is getting royalties from this show.
I think the mid section between Homage and Rip Off is a "Geeky Riff on Fight Club".
Old 09-03-15, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I think the FC element is such a minor element of this show. It is there but there is so much more happening here. So many viewpoints and narrative focuses. It is kind of unsettling and bizarre. In fact i think it is the least important element of the show and the one that has been broadcast from day one. but this show is just out there. It is pretty awesome and very twisted. It was brilliant I think, and the finale just made me uncomfortable. If you all you see is FC you are not watching.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.