Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Killjoys (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Killjoys (SyFy) -- Series Discussion Thread

This show lost steam about the same rate Dark Matter gained it. I think Dark Matter has a lot more serial storytelling elements which eventually gave it the nod in my book. Anyone know off-hand how the ratings look for both shows or if they've gotten a 2nd season pick up?
Old 08-24-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
This show lost steam about the same rate Dark Matter gained it. I think Dark Matter has a lot more serial storytelling elements which eventually gave it the nod in my book. Anyone know off-hand how the ratings look for both shows or if they've gotten a 2nd season pick up?
Nothing yet.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ichelle-816593

According to this interview with the creator, a decision can come any day now from SyFy and the Space network.
Old 08-24-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, I think I'm opposite of most here. I thought Killjoys was pretty weak to start but got a lot better as the season went on. I enjoy Dark Matter more, but I'm hoping Killjoys gets a renewal, too.
Old 08-26-15, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

100% agreed. When I first sat down to watch Dark Matter I was not impressed and slightly bored. By episode 5 though I was definitely interested. Which I think is the same number I started to NOT care for Killjoys.
Old 08-30-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I really enjoyed Killjoy's first season, though the finale was a tad disappointing and felt more like a mid-season finale.

I guess level 6 agents have superpowers of some kind with the ability to take far more damage. I am not sure what people see in Dark Matter. The bigger cast of characters must be attractive to some people.
Old 08-31-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I really enjoyed Killjoy's first season, though the finale was a tad disappointing and felt more like a mid-season finale.

I guess level 6 agents have superpowers of some kind with the ability to take far more damage. I am not sure what people see in Dark Matter. The bigger cast of characters must be attractive to some people.
The writing is just sharper. Characters have several layers, episodes have strong continuity, cliff-hanger endings, and risks actually feel real and you think that the characters are in jeopardy. It doesn't have the wit of Firefly, but it's the closest I've seen a show get so far.

Killjoys is more like Kevin Sorbo's Andromeda quality to me.
Old 08-31-15, 06:08 PM

The writing is just sharper. Characters have several layers, episodes have strong continuity, cliff-hanger endings, and risks actually feel real and you think that the characters are in jeopardy. It doesn't have the wit of Firefly, but it's the closest I've seen a show get so far.

Killjoys is more like Kevin Sorbo's Andromeda quality to me.
^^^this. The large cast of Dark Matter is not appealling (actually its a bit of turn off for me) however the writing/editing/pacing is so much better then killjoys. I love the smaller cast of killjoys and the way the characters interact with each other but the writing and pacing is annoying as hell. Example, the episode where they are looking for the dr jager (and find the fake one) what happened to the guy they busted out? Why were they able to break someone out of a mental facility and still keep their badges? Why were they shocked when they were caught? What was the span time for this whole little much ado about nothing escapade? Each episode tries to touch on so many points at once nothing feels like it has any consequence.
Old 09-03-15, 09:28 PM

Renewed Yay.
Old 09-04-15, 09:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 45shooter
Renewed Yay.
Great news!
Old 07-01-16, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Killjoys (SyFy) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 7/1/16

FRIDAY, JULY 1

KILLJOYS - "Dutch and the Real Girl" - 9/8c *SEASON 2 PREMIERE*

After failing to rescue D'avin (Luke Macfarlane) from Arkyn, Dutch (Hannah John-Kamen) and Johnny (Aaron Ashmore) head to Eulogy, an outlaw-only barter town, in the hopes of stealing a mysterious, high tech shield from the infamous Connaver gang.

10 episode 2nd season

Liked, but didn't love the 1st season. Preferred Dark Matter.

Old 07-01-16, 06:05 PM

Re: Killjoys (SyFy) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 7/1/16

Looking forward to both.
Old 07-02-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

I thought the first episode was kind of 'meh.' I think I'm back on the fence about this show. I just don't find the larger story arc very interesting.

Is the Sassy Gay Friend a regular part of the team now?

Did you recognize the bionic girl, Clara, as Stephanie Leonidas? She played Irisa on Defiance, under a lot of alien makeup. I liked seeing her, and they left things open for her to appear again, but her role in this episode was pretty pointless.
Old 07-02-16, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I am not on the fence with this one. I kind of expected to win up on the fence, because like a previous poster I liked Killjoys but didnt love it, but I thought the first episode was pretty strong and I think this show is poised for a big jump in quality.
Old 07-03-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Watched the premiere last night and honestly I felt lost most of it. I felt like I missed an episode.

They just threw in that Sassy gay character like he's been there all along. And I don't even remember D'avin being captured.

Yeah it was good to see Stephanie Leonidas without all that makeup from Defiance.
Old 07-03-16, 01:03 PM

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Watched the premiere last night and honestly I felt lost most of it. I felt like I missed an episode.

They just threw in that Sassy gay character like he's been there all along. And I don't even remember D'avin being captured.

Yeah it was good to see Stephanie Leonidas without all that makeup from Defiance.
It took me I while to remember the end of last season. I still don't remember all the political stuff. Surprised that they didn't do any recap of the kidnappings, Cline, the conflict with the priests, etc.

The gay character was there last season as a semi regular. He was the barkeep. He left with them when the bombing started.
Old 07-03-16, 06:38 PM

OK to good episode - interesting semi-legal twist about cyborgs not being "persons" under corporate law.

Btw, hate the new credits.
Old 07-04-16, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They should have done a recap but by the end I was up to speed on the situation. I thought it was a really good start to the new season.
Old 07-04-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Skipping a recap at the beginning was a poor idea. I liked Killjoys last season but found this somewhat ho-hum as a season opener. I had no idea that actress was Irisa.

Some of it was obviously a soft reboot of the characters like adding the flamboyantly gay bartender as a crew member and suggesting that Kline was really trying to save Dutch.
Old 07-04-16, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The only thing the bartender seems to add to the team is being gay, which I suppose is a feature if you're a Hollywood writer looking to tick some boxes but does nothing for me.
Old 07-05-16, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by randian
The only thing the bartender seems to add to the team is being gay, which I suppose is a feature if you're a Hollywood writer looking to tick some boxes...
Or maybe the writers have been watching a lot of Banshee lately. That character was a knockoff of Job with heavier-handed writing.
Old 08-16-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Caught up with the first 5 episodes. I liked season 1 but I am really liking season two. Seems like they found their footing.

If you are still wondering, after the second (maybe third) episode the bartender guy goes back to a semi-regular and not part of the crew.
Old 08-17-16, 06:51 PM

Zoiks - some mayhem in the most recent episode.

Glad they also had travel to other star systems outside of The Quad. Ancient-alien-fungi-tech? Hmm...
Old 08-29-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I wasn't expecting that turn of events. I liked Pawter.
Old 08-29-16, 07:40 PM

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
I wasn't expecting that turn of events. I liked Pawter.
I liked her too. I guess she was starting to becoming a too powerful ally for the group. I'll miss her (unless they turn her into a 6.)
Old 08-29-16, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kdogg
I liked her too. I guess she was starting to becoming a too powerful ally for the group. I'll miss her (unless they turn her into a 6.)
A show like Killjoys can't have too many permanent cast members. These smaller Syfy productions have to keep a tight budget. Important supporting characters are offed with little remorse. Killing her off now gives the character a fitting end. If they can somehow find the budget for the actress next season, she can be brought back as a 6.

This is why I suspect we've seen so little of Kline in season two. They've used stand-in emissaries of Kline to advance his storyline while he never appears.

Knowing these limitations in advance is why I rarely get fully invested in these smaller cable productions.

After a rocky start to season two, Killjoys has rounded into fine form. It's still not as entertaining as season one, which seemed to be more creative episode to episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.