Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (premieres Sept. 8, 2015)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (premieres Sept. 8, 2015)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts
Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (premieres Sept. 8, 2015)

It was about what I expected. A slightly looser, wilder version of his persona from the Colbert Report. I think bringing a political guest on the show was a big mistake in his first episode.

The Oreo bit started out funny but ran way too long. I bet that was something that felt a lot funnier in the audience than watching at home.
Old 09-09-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
It was okay. It was clear that Colbert was trying to bridge the gap between younger audiences who watched "The Colbert Report" and older audiences who watched Letterman...and it didn't quite work.

You know, after thinking it over this morning and struggling with my thoughts on this, you nailed it. This was... alright. But it did feel like it really struggled in trying to balance the two.

The guest were... meh. I'll stick around for the first two segments to see how it goes, I guess.
Old 09-09-15, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Looks like he killed in the ratings last night, more than doubling Fallon's ratings and triple Kimmel's. I'm sure he'll go down and things will eventually level out, but pretty good start.
Old 09-09-15, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

It took about 5 minutes for Colbert to show just how much more talented he is than Jimmy Fallon. But then again, Letterman was way more talented than Leno too, and that didn't mean he won the ratings war.
Old 09-09-15, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I thought the Jeb Bush segment should have been longer. There was real potential there, but it wasn't edited poorly.

The Oreo thing was pretty damn funny.
Old 09-09-15, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
It was okay. It was clear that Colbert was trying to bridge the gap between younger audiences who watched "The Colbert Report" and older audiences who watched Letterman...and it didn't quite work.
I highly doubt that entered their minds at all. I don't even know what that means in this specific context. What jokes or bits felt like that?

For the record, I liked it, but didn't love it. But the show is trying to look and feel a bit different than a standard late night show, so I'm sure it'll find its voice. I didn't think The Colbert Report was that great early on, either.
Old 09-09-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

One thing I don't think I care for is Colbert doing his own announcing during the opening theme. Not a huge fan of the opening in general to be honest, the montage and theme song don't do much for me.

I agree that aspects of the show feel a bit like it's just a longer version of The Colbert Report only with him as himself rather than acting as a character. It feels like it's trying to be hip and appeal to the Comedy Central crowd but also trying to bring in some things for fans of former hosts like Letterman. It was sort of an odd balance but I didn't mind it. I think his humor is going to take some getting used to for casual viewers.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-09-15 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-09-15, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Interesting that two of the late night hosts who became famous for doing comedic news are choosing to sit at their desk doing the WU/Colbert Report format instead of a stand-up monologue. I don't have a problem with it.
Old 09-09-15, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A bit off topic but I've tried to give Corden a chance after The Late Show the past couple of nights and the guy is painfully unfunny. Compared with Craig Ferguson who is such a comedy master and probably the best host in late night before he stepped down. The current version of The Late Late Show is a pale imitation. Ferguson was so much more original and genuinely hilarious whereas Corden just feels like any other generic flavor of the month host.
Old 09-10-15, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Seriously, I'm sad that Ferguson didn't get that other show green lit. His fucking game show is better than Corden is...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A_0qohmfQAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-10-15, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish Comedy Central would put The Colbert Report back on the air but cast someone new, without any physical resemblance, to play "Stephen Colbert" as long as he/she could nail the character.
Old 09-10-15, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Two shows and I'm done. It's not bad but, it's just standard broadcast late night. Colbert was never better than he was on The Colbert Report and I can't get behind this watered down version.
Old 09-10-15, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks like Colbert lost half of his audience among 18-49 in his 2nd episode last night:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...lon-tie-821697

I tried to watch Colbert and Fallon and neither appealed to me so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I bet within a few weeks Fallon will be way ahead of Colbert in the ratings.
Old 09-10-15, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, Colbert needs to make his show more weird, not less. I know he's got it in him, but maybe the whole CBS/Network thing is holding him back.
Old 09-10-15, 11:41 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Gonna have to agree with most of everyone here... the first two shows have been VERY underwhelming. And this is coming from a person who hasn't seen one episode of The Colbert Report. Everything about this show seems awkward and forced.

And going back to someone's earlier comment about how they hate Fallon and the games he plays with his guests. I'm in the exact opposite camp. These late night shows are always so scripted, and the interviews rarely feel natural and more of a setup from the host followed by punchline from the guest. At least with the games Fallon plays, the reactions and dialogue feel much less scripted and more off the cuff and natural.
Old 09-10-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I have mostly moved on from these late-night talk shows. With the rise of cable there are too many of them competing for the same small pool of guests. Carson perfected the genre and unfortunately we keep getting lesser imitations of his work since his retirement.

Conan was our last hope and NBC blew that chance.
Old 09-10-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I thoroughly enjoy Fallon and watch it nearly every night. I always enjoyed the Colbert Report, but largely because of the political side of it. Not sure I'll enjoy this as much. But I'll tune in once in a while.
Old 09-10-15, 02:51 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I thought the second episode was pretty lousy. And who in the hell decided to get that band leader and band? Awful choice.

Put a band leader that talks a little bit and at least has some chemistry with the host. I have a feeling we'll see changes there before too long.

Also, did it seem like Colbert kinda got pissed off at Elon Musk, or vice versa?

Nowhere to go but up from here.
Old 09-10-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the band sort of just feels like they're there but they (specifically the band leader) haven't had any real interaction with Colbert or anyone yet. It's early but I agree that it seems like there might be a change up in the band eventually.
Old 09-11-15, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I love New Orleans music, but John Baptiste is doing nothing for me. I loved Colbert, but they just need to cut those STEPHEN chants, because it's like, I'm hearing Colbert Report, but not getting it and instead getting some watered down late late show version that isn't what I'm used to in Colbert. Which is sad. Don't think I'm going to keep up with this unless I download the show and just watch the first few minutes to see how it goes and depending on which guest is on.

But yeah, I'm sort of done with late show program sort of soft shoeing.

And yeah, he needs an announcer to bounce off. Cause him being his own announcer is not good. Or anyone for that matter. John Baptiste not having any sort of interaction with him... yeah, that needs to change.

It also feels like the colbert report writers are desperately trying to get their stuff in there when it's clearly not that type of show anymore. Sadly.
Old 09-11-15, 03:42 AM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I liked Colbert. I think he will improve over time. For me I will alternate between Kimmel and him depending on the guests. Fallon is too sleep inducing for me.
Old 09-11-15, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Two shows and I'm done. It's not bad but, it's just standard broadcast late night. Colbert was never better than he was on The Colbert Report and I can't get behind this watered down version.

My exact feelings as well. I have never really been one to watch these late shows. I decided to give this show a try since I really like Colbert Report, but I could smell the stench of the network controlling this watered down show right away.
Old 09-11-15, 08:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know what people expect in a host, he's a smart, funny dude, who's getting comfortable in the big chair with some new surroundings.

He is the only host I will watch the interviews for, the others are just a love fest to me. I hope he stays clear of that trap, which he did not with Biden.
Old 09-11-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Two shows and I'm done. It's not bad but, it's just standard broadcast late night.
Last night's interview with Joe Biden was far from standard-issue TV.

In 2015, the idea that an interview on a late night talk show would be moving and important seems crazy, but that was what Colbert delivered last night, and he seems like the only host willing and capable to go there.

So far, Colbert has not delivered the laughs that he did with The Report, but he is offering something.

Tonight, Fallon has Trump on. Colbert will have him on in a couple weeks.
I will be very interested in comparing those two interviews.

"Stephen Colbert" is gone. And if you want to watch someone jump around like an organ grinder's monkey, Fallon awaits.

Tonight, Stephen has Amy Schumer. How much do you want to bet the interview is hilarious?
Old 09-11-15, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Last night's interview with Joe Biden was far from standard-issue TV.

In 2015, the idea that an interview on a late night talk show would be moving and important seems crazy, but that was what Colbert delivered last night, and he seems like the only host willing and capable to go there.
I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but that is my hope for Colbert. Letterman and Ferguson leaving in the same calendar year has left a void that needs to be filled.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.