Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Ninja Warrior -- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-17, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts
Re: American Ninja Warrior (2016) -- NBC

According to "Reality Blurred", The Esquire Network is shutting down; Dish and U-Verse apparently dropped it in December, leaving only Charter. Programming will move to the website, which certainly means no new episodes of much of anything. I watched the channel for "Team Ninja Warrior" (I ended up enjoying the 5-week "College" version) and as my back-up for catching "American Ninja Warrior". I would hope NBC (I assuming it'd one of their off-shoots) will find another slot for the "Ninja Warrior" shows.

And it's been announced that "Team Ninja Warrior" will return in April on the USA Network. I wonder if they'll have the replays of the regular show (which made things handier for me, DVR-wise).

Last edited by DWilson; 03-20-17 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-19-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I still get Esquire on Verizon. So G4's legacy on cable is finally over.

I loved their All-star team ninja warrior series. It was the proverbially better mousetrap to NBC's bloated American Ninja Warrior. I wasn't as enthusiastic about the college team ninja warrior show. It was much tougher getting interested in less competitive athletes I had never heard of before.
Old 02-22-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if people missed it but NBC aired the All-Star Ninja Warrior special on Monday. I forgot to plug it here before airing.

Probably the most shocking thing from it was the upset in the 35-rung salmon ladder challenge. They also shaved two skills contests down to highlights, shoving them off to YouTube.
Old 02-22-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed it and probably should have DVR'd it. But I really was disappointed in last season. Basically an unfunny version of Wipeout.
Old 04-05-17, 05:33 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
re: American Ninja Warrior -- Discussion Thread

It's finally happening:

Arrow is targeting the Warped Wall.

Stephen Amell, the well-trained, well-sculpted star of the CW superhero series, is among the nine famous faces who will brave the American Ninja Warrior course in the series’ first-ever celebrity edition, airing Thursday, May 25 at 8/7c as part of NBC’s annual Red Nose Day programming.

Also set to navigate the Floating Steps and up to five other obstacles in Celebrity Ninja Warrior for Red Nose Day, and in the name of charity, are Erika Christensen (Parenthood), Derek Hough (Dancing With the Stars alum-turned-host of NBC’s upcoming World of Dance), Today cohost Natalie Morales, two-time Olympic gold medalist Ashton Eaton, comedian/TV host Nikki Glaser, former Yankees slugger Nick Swisher, comedian Jeff Dye and actress Mena Suvari.

“Elite ninjas” will be paired as follows with the celebs, serving as both coach and cheerleader: Kevin Bull/Eaton, Kacy Catanzaro/Amell, Drew Drechsel/Swisher, Natalie Duran/Suvari, Daniel Gil/Hough, Jessie Graff/Glaser), Grant McCartney/Morales, Meagan Martin/Dye and Flip Rodriguez/Christensen.

This celeb edition of American Ninja Warrior will kick off NBC’s third annual night of Red Nose Day programming, which raises money and awareness to help children living in poverty in America and around the world.
http://tvline.com/2017/04/05/america...stephem-amell/
Old 04-05-17, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that I'll watch. I only know Hough, Morales and Suvari but it should be interesting. Maybe because it's celebs for charity they'll actually give them a fucking chance.
Old 04-06-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It will be very interesting to see Ashton Eaton, current world record holder in the decathlon, tackle a ninja course.

Since the Esquire network is folding, Team Ninja Warrior is moving to USA network. They are already showing repeats as filler on their schedule.
Old 04-19-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Team Ninja Warrior's second season premiered last night on USA Network. I think this was already in the can before Esquire folded, so I am not sure if USA will continue it past this season.

It's the same all-star format used as last year.
Old 06-01-17, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else watch the celeb version? The best athlete in the world who completed the course was done while on commercial break. Wtf?

Love me some Natalie though.
Old 06-01-17, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

I did. Haven't watched the 2 hour All Stars which came after it yet. Yeah, the editing was strange. I'm surprised they cut short any of the celebs. The whole idea was to see them run, unlike randoms at qualifying rounds.
Old 06-01-17, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Team NW is amazing. IMO its better than regular, with the breakneck speed they go.
Old 06-01-17, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Team NW is amazing. IMO its better than regular, with the breakneck speed they go.
I enjoy "Team" so much more than the regular show, since it has so little padding, and this season I think they've stopped running legs during the commercial breaks. It's thoroughly unpredictable, with many "favorites" not making it past one episode. Of course, next week is a "wild card" round, so maybe they'll get a "name" back in play. I hope this isn't the last we see of this show.
Old 06-01-17, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

I saw a preview for Team during the celeb show. I didn't know it existed before. Worth giving a season pass? My DVR would have picked it up if it weren't on USA...
Old 06-01-17, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
I saw a preview for Team during the celeb show. I didn't know it existed before. Worth giving a season pass? My DVR would have picked it up if it weren't on USA...
If you enjoy the original, you should be pleased with "Team". It's fast-paced, -the original is almost leisurely in comparison with all the heart-tugging profiles. Also, I just think it's more exciting to watch two people run the course at the same time, competing with each other. The teams are led by a "name" (Flip Rodriguez, for example) and two teammates of their choosing (two men, one woman). The downside is your team is only as strong as your weakest link. And let's face it, the course, -and the contest, -is pretty unforgiving and it's often surprising which of the four teams featured in each episode is going to win and go on the finals.
Old 06-01-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Team show is a lot more entertaining than the regular Ninja Warrior show. It's an actual athletic competition where the fastest athlete wins. That makes it harder for NW's maudlin editing practices to ruin the drama. We've seen several very surprising results during the team format.

The preponderance of ninja "stars" on the team show doesn't hurt, either.
Old 06-01-17, 02:45 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My only real criticism of Team is that it gets sort of repetitive by the end of the episode, seeing the same 12 people run the same part of the course over and over. I actually wish they would change it up in the second round somewhat... like maybe them running the second half of the course instead.
Old 06-05-17, 10:10 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else watch the USA vs the World special on Sunday? It's interesting that Japan didn't take part this year... I know they've done rather poorly on the US courses the last few times so I wonder if that had something to do with it?

I'm glad they allowed Jessie to do stage 2 after her stage 1 slip-up. She probably needs to work on her time to get that run done in the regular season finals, but it was still impressive she completed a stage 2 that only 2 competitors finished in the regular season.

I think they should perhaps change up the scoring a bit next time they do this. Instead of just "winner gets 1 point per heat", have 1 point for 2nd place and 3 points for first. In addition, everyone get at least one point if they actually finish the course. That way there is still a reason to compete among the lower teams, and there is a reason to try harder to actually complete the course even if you know you've won.
Old 06-05-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I glad Jessie had a chance to overcome her mis-fire in such a triumphant fashion. NBC may over-hype the women competitors, but with Jessie it paid off last night
Old 06-06-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Dammit!! I didn't even know this was on!! Hopefully I can catch it on demand. I really enjoy it as well.
Old 06-06-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Latin America team looked overmatched in the contest. I think everyone was shocked how round 3 unfolded. Brian Arnold, probably one of the two or three best American climbers, choked on a simple landing after crossing the toughest part of the cliffhanger.
Old 06-12-17, 07:01 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

06/12/2017 (08:00PM - 10:00PM) (Monday) : PREMIERE- 'AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR' RETURNS FOR SEASON 9 WITH ACTION-PACKED PREMIERE FEATURING THE QUALIFYING ROUND FROM UNIVERSAL STUDIOS IN LOS ANGELES, CA - MATT ISEMAN AND AKBAR GBAJABIAMILA HOST WHILE KRISTINE LEAHY CO-HOSTS - The heart-racing obstacle course competition series "American Ninja Warrior" premieres its ninth season this summer. The action-packed series follows competitors as they tackle the world's most difficult obstacle courses in qualifying and finals rounds across the country. Those that successfully complete the courses in each city will move onto the national finals round in Las Vegas and compete for a $1,000,000 prize. In the first Qualifying Round from Los Angeles competitors must tackle six obstacles, including Cannonball Drop and Battering Ram, which are new this season. "American Ninja Warrior" veterans Kevin Bull and Grant McCartney return for another shot at completing the course. TV-PG
Old 06-14-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate to say it but the early rounds of American Ninja Warrior are quickly becoming unwatchable. They used to be my favorite part of the show. David Campbell is getting old, he's failing earlier and earlier these days.

The season premiere's obstacle course was poorly designed and not built for speed at all.

The team contest on USA last night was infinitely more entertaining as there were at least two thrilling finishes.
Old 06-14-17, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Just like any athlete skills diminish. Pretty sure they feel obligated to have Campbell on every year. He is a well known name. He has been doing really well in Team Ninja Warrior however.

The women are doing better and better and keeping up with the men.
Old 06-15-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Campbell is still one of the better ninjas but he doesn't have the "compelling" story needed to make NBC's broadcast. So he decided running the course as quickly as possible was the only way he was going to make it on air.

He's been great on Team Ninja Warrior.
Old 06-15-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Just like any athlete skills diminish. Pretty sure they feel obligated to have Campbell on every year. He is a well known name. He has been doing really well in Team Ninja Warrior however.

The women are doing better and better and keeping up with the men.
And NBC is making sure the women stay in the race by guaranteeing the TOP 5 in each city get to the next stage. I don't have a problem with that, as the women continue to impress both on the regular and team editions. Kacy Catanzaro, -who kind of opened the door, and NBC continually hyped -has been left in the dust by the new competitors.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.