Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S5E07) -- "The Gift" -- 5/24/15

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-15, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S5E07) -- "The Gift" -- 5/24/15

Cineplex Odeon in Canada will be airing Ep 9 & 10 (the finale will be live) in theatres for free with a voucher code. It sold out within minutes.
Old 05-28-15, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Seinfeld version of Dorne

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m9A_i_TYDXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-28-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Seinfeld version of Dorne

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m9A_i_TYDXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
JAIME: So, how was your time in jail with the Sand Snakes.

BRONN: Interesting...

JAIME: Really?

BRONN: Oh ya.

JAIME: Why what happened?

BRONN: Let's see, how shall I put this...

JAIME: Just put it.

BRONN: Tyene, she took them out.

JAIME: (confused) She what?

BRONN: She took (blows on his sword twice to clean it) them out.

JAIME: She took what out?

BRONN: Them.

JAIME: She took THEM, out?

BRONN: Yessiree Bob.

JAIME: She couldn't.

BRONN: She did.

JAIME: (motions of making out) Well you were involved in some sort of amorous...

BRONN: Noooo.

JAIME: You mean she just

BRONN: Yes.

JAIME: Are you sure?

BRONN: Oh quite.

JAIME: There was no mistaking them?

BRONN: (looks straight into his eyes) Jaime.

JAIME: So you were talking, (Bronn makes an agreement sound "mmm") you're having pleasant conversation, (Bronn makes an agreement sound "mmm") then all of sudden...

BRONN: Yea.

JAIME: Them.

BRONN: Them.

JAIME: Out.

BRONN: Out.

JAIME: Well I, I can't believe this. I know Tyene, she's a good friend of mine. We joust together. How could this be?

BRONN: Oh it be. (sarcastically) You got any other friends you want to set me up with?

(Varys enters)

VARYS: Hey. (to Bronn) Hey how was your date with Tyene Sand?

BRONN: (to Varys) She took them out.

(Shocked, Varys acts like he just got a cold shiver down his back)
Old 05-29-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That song that Bronn was singing in episode 6 - before Jaime stops him from completing it - is the same song that he completes in episode 7 while locked in the cell.
Old 05-29-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

That dialog reminds me that we haven't seen Varys in quite some time.
Old 05-29-15, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Yeah...what happened to him when Tyrion was taken? I don't remember.
Old 05-29-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Embarrassingly, he mistook the Dragon Queen Whore for the real Dany, and is leading her back to Westeros for a revolution.
Old 05-29-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I don't think we saw anything happen to him. Ser Jorah kidnapped Tyrion and that was that.
Old 05-29-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Am I the only one that thought that Lancil Lannister appearing with Sparrow right after Littlefinger & Queen of Thorns was a red herring? (When Littlefinger mentioned a gift for her an 'handsome, young man'.)
Old 05-29-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

I thought so too, maybe. I had assumed Lancil would have already confessed his and Cersei's sins to the High Sparrow.
Old 05-29-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I thought so too, maybe. I had assumed Lancil would have already confessed his and Cersei's sins to the High Sparrow.
Thats what I'm thinking. I think Baelish had someone else in mind.

Does it need spoiler tags, since this is my speculation, and this situation is not in the books (the meeting between littlefinger/Queen of thorns)

I'm going to spoiler tag it..
Spoiler:
I think Littlefinger has Gendry
Old 05-29-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry if this has been asked before, but by the end of this season will the TV show have caught up to the books?
Old 05-29-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
No, that's not how it happened. When someone initially becomes religious, they are inwardly focused and trying to use religion to fix themselves. At this phase, Lancel would have confessed his own sins only and not named any names. Call this "Phase I" of going religious.

"Phase II" is if the religion works for this person, then they may ask other people they know to follow the same path. This is what happened in episode 1 of this season when Lancel asked Cersei to redeem herself in the light of the Seven.

And if they keep going and get into a closed group who reinforce their religious viewpoint, then the person will enter "Phase III" where they are hardcore religious and want to apply their religious rules to everybody with no exceptions. When Lancel got that 7-pointed star carved on his forehand is when he hit this level.

If asked about Cersei while still Phase I or II, Lancel probably would've avoided pointing fingers and said "go ask her yourself" instead. But once Phase III, pointing fingers and applying your religious views to everyone else is what it's all about. So once the High Sparrow asked him about Cersei after he received a message from Lady Olenna informing him about Lancel & Cersei's relationship, Lancel would've told him everything and named her as a sinner who needed to be brought down to repent.

(How do I know all this? I live in the South.)

Last edited by dhmac; 05-29-15 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-29-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by outcastja
Sorry if this has been asked before, but by the end of this season will the TV show have caught up to the books?
Some of the story lines have surpassed the books. Others I think will be caught by the end.
Old 05-29-15, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outcastja
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Some of the story lines have surpassed the books. Others I think will be caught by the end.
Yup, but there's also the possibility (perhaps unlikely) that they are saving a few storylines to use next season just to have a real connection to already-published material. Unlikely since they're already excising characters & plots & combining others, but some events may be delayed if they aren't changed. Or they might do their own riff on those events even if a straight adaptation isn't attempted. Don't expect to see the Iron Islands saga coming into play, though, since there is a lot to do if D&D stick to their avowed plan to finish in 7 seasons.

And isn't there also the possibility that they have access to whatever GRRM has written for Book 6, meaning that they can be adapting the unedited drafts although those may change before publication? In other words, they may be caught up to the published books, but they obviously know a lot more about GRRM's planned endgame & outlines along with having his input. It's not like they're just striking out totally in the dark or that GRRM hasn't produced a lot of narrative for Book 6 (especially since some chapters have evidently been published online).

Now, Season 7 will be an entirely different animal unless GRRM is writing it simultaneously since he does a lot of chapters out of the published sequence (I think he said that he put off writing the RW chapter, for instance, because it pained him even though he had written many following chapters).

Since many think GRRM will end up going beyond the planned seven books, it seems inevitable that, at some point, the show will be operating pretty much solely upon a streamlined outline, leaving Martin to continue his saga as long as he wants a la Robert Jordan.
Old 05-29-15, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I know they have access to GRRM's plans and whatnot, but are they really going to spoil main plots from the books next season? I'm sure the book series is popular enough that it wouldn't take that much of a hit if stuff was spoiled, but as a writer I'm sure that's a tough sell for GRRM, to see someone get to the same endpoint he's trying to get to but faster and in a different way.

Or are we going to get what usually happens in Japan, when the anime catches up to the manga series before it's over and the anime writers just make up their own ending (or put in a ton of filler)?
Old 05-29-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I suppose the concept of taking a year off is alien to HBO, even though several of their original shows did this years ago (not counting True Detective since that's a separate cast), and Breaking Bad and Mad Men did this repeatedly. These days climate is different and this show has child actors, but that's still an outside possibility.
Old 05-29-15, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I know they have access to GRRM's plans and whatnot, but are they really going to spoil main plots from the books next season?
Yes.
Old 05-29-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I suppose the concept of taking a year off is alien to HBO, even though several of their original shows did this years ago (not counting True Detective since that's a separate cast), and Breaking Bad and Mad Men did this repeatedly. These days climate is different and this show has child actors, but that's still an outside possibility.
They could take a year off and do a Robert's Rebellion prequel, or something to that effect.

But at rate Martin is writing, it's going to take more than a year. TWoW won't be out this year; maybe next year, maybe not. I just don't see any way that the seventh book comes out before 2020 when Martin is taking five years+ to do each book.
Old 05-29-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I suppose the concept of taking a year off is alien to HBO, even though several of their original shows did this years ago
There's no fucking way this show is taking a year off. It just ain't going to happen.

This show will be passing GRRM soon and nothing is stopping that. (And given how his last 2 books in the series came out, that may be a good thing.)
Old 05-29-15, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I bet we do get prequels, though, but it'll be after the main story is done. Maybe Robert's Rebellion, but there'd be a lot of re-casts going that route. I'd like to see (or read) stories of the First Men and their interactions with The Children. Like Tolkien, there's a lot of "history" that could be used for future stories.

Edit to say: none of us ultimately know how this will all end, though. It could eventually turn out to be a big clusterfuck and kill any willingness to see future stories in this world.
Old 05-29-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also agree there is no way they are taking a year off. Frankly at recent pace, it's more likely the fat man dies before finishes the books. Too many cast members also to risk a big delay.
Old 05-29-15, 11:58 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I know they have access to GRRM's plans and whatnot, but are they really going to spoil main plots from the books next season? I'm sure the book series is popular enough that it wouldn't take that much of a hit if stuff was spoiled, but as a writer I'm sure that's a tough sell for GRRM, to see someone get to the same endpoint he's trying to get to but faster and in a different way.

Or are we going to get what usually happens in Japan, when the anime catches up to the manga series before it's over and the anime writers just make up their own ending (or put in a ton of filler)?
They have already spoiled some major plot points already this season. And had a MAJOR future spoiler from the books last year.

Time and alignment of events in ASOIAF is ephemeral in both the books and the series. By the end of this season they will be caught up, way ahead and holding some storylines in reserve all at the same time. And except for one storylines collide it does not really matter.
Old 05-30-15, 12:02 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

There is just no way that HBO skips a year of GOT. I suspect that end in the end they will do this:

Season 6

Extended Season 7 (maybe 16-20 episodes to contain costs)

One of two theatrical movies to finish the series. The IMAX showings earlier this year was a very successful test balloon. Movies may only use B&W as executive producer support.
Old 05-30-15, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I bet we do get prequels, though, but it'll be after the main story is done. Maybe Robert's Rebellion, but there'd be a lot of re-casts going that route. I'd like to see (or read) stories of the First Men and their interactions with The Children. Like Tolkien, there's a lot of "history" that could be used for future stories.
A season covering Robert's Rebellion would introduce a number of new characters like Rhaegar Targaryen, Aerys "The Mad King" Targaryen, Lyssa Stark, Rickard Stark, Brandon Stark, Hoster Tully, Howland Reed, Jon Arryn, and Elia Martell.

Most of the established characters who would appear like Ned Stark, Robert Baratheon, and Jaime Lannister would need to be recast since they were teenagers at the time. The two actors I could see reprising his role would be Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister and the fellow who plays Barriston Selmay. And possibly Howland Reed if we've already seen him and don't yet know it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.