Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Big Bang Theory (S8E24) - Season Finale - "The Commitment Determination" - 5/7/15

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Big Bang Theory (S8E24) - Season Finale - "The Commitment Determination" - 5/7/15

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 10:59 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

SHELDON PUSHES LEONARD AND PENNY TO CHOOSE A DATE FOR THEIR WEDDING, ON THE EIGHTH SEASON FINALE OF "THE BIG BANG THEORY," THURSDAY, MAY 7

"The Commitment Determination" - Sheldon pushes Leonard and Penny to choose a date for their wedding and deals with dramatic changes in his own relationship with Amy, on the eighth season finale of THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, May 7 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network.
Season finale. Already renewed for Season 9 and 10.
Old 05-07-15, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Big Bang Theory (S8E24) - Season Finale - "The Commitment Determination" - 5/

So rather than space out any type of relationship growth, they throw everything together in the same episode - Sheldon and Amy are on a break and/or he was going to possibly propose, Raj and his girlfriend are breaking up, and Penny/Leonard are eloping...maybe? Plus the tired plot of Howard and Bernadette trying to kick Stuart out. A hugely disappointing and laugh free finale.
Old 05-07-15, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory (S8E24) - Season Finale - "The Commitment Determination" - 5/

I really don't think Leonard/Penny would elope without their friends there. Its not like all of the people they always hang out with aren't just a few miles away and could meet up with them to go to Vegas.
Old 05-07-15, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When a woman has her tongue down your throat and you're thinking about watching TV, you need to reassess your life.

Sheldon CAN'T be that oblivious to why Amy is mad.

That said, I want to watch The Flash and Hulu's archive only goes back a few episodes, so I'm hoping that Netflix will put it up.

While the "Emily is creepy shtick" is laid on a little thick, it is kind of funny. A little one note, but I am amused by the variations. You know, there's kind of something existential about graveyard sex. An act which creates life in a place surrounded by death?

Bernadette is kind of a bitch...

Most cemeteries around me lock up so people can't do stupid shit in them at night. I like walking in cemeteries, I find it peaceful, kind of tranquil. But I suppose I have issues.

I have that Gollum, it came with my TT EE DVD.

That was kind of a sad finale. I kept hoping that they'd hook Sheldon and Amy up, not break them up! That was a nice one-two punch, at first I was glad that she was calling him out on his crap, then I felt really sorry for him once I found out.

The Raj-Emily storyline is kind of weak, I don't think that they're quite sure what they want to do with either character.

Stuart is growing irritating.

The sabotage of Leonard and Penny was particularly odd, I was surprised to find out that he was running around her.

At the very least, it was a fairly eventful finale with a script built around an actual theme.
Old 05-07-15, 09:25 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

This whole episode just felt odd.
Old 05-07-15, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the amount of Flash themed items Sheldon has, is it really believable he hasn't been watching the Flash show from the beginning?
Old 05-07-15, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrX
Yeah, it felt like they'd tried to crowbar TBBT into another separate dramatic show. It was very peculiar. It's like they wanted to make the finale as daring as possible, so they pull a few stunts.
Old 05-07-15, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely a lot sadder of an episode then we're used to on this show. I liked it though, I hope next season doesn't just reset everything back to normal for all the couples.
Old 05-08-15, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
With the amount of Flash themed items Sheldon has, is it really believable he hasn't been watching the Flash show from the beginning?
As someone who watched, or should I say endured, all ten years of Smallville, I can sympathize with Sheldon's dilemma.
Old 05-08-15, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Smallville was a big syndication piece for TNT for a while, but they seem to have unceremoniously dropped the reruns. The bits of it I've seen tell me that it isn't my kind of thing, though I did like the Geoff Johns episodes I saw.
Old 05-08-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was a good finale, if we consider the Sheldon part the main story. Penny/Leonard zzzzz we have watched variations of that here and in other shows. Raj/Emily it doesn't work for me in general, a few chuckles here and there. Bernie/Howard reminds me too much of my wife and me, LOL, but they are good.

So we have Sheldon. They can evolve his relationship with Amy the traditional way. They need to find a catalyst. But they still are a sitcom. So it may or may not work, we will find out next season, but although a downer, I think the finale was good, and it was the right choice in this case.
Old 05-08-15, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seemed like a whole bunch of developments created for the sole purpose of having a story to work through next season. I just hope they let at least one of the couples move to the next step before the end of next season.
Old 05-08-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I'm not understanding why Howard has a hard time kicking Stuart out. When Stuart was living with Howard's mom, didn't he Howard tell him to take a hike a few times? Why is he worried about his feelings now?
Old 05-08-15, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Yep. Something about the whole thing was 'off.' It felt like a new director was at the helm.

One of the things right off the bat:
Originally Posted by resinrats
Exactly. Sheldon is in a Flash shirt every other episode and the gang has all cosplayed as The Flash. There's no way they haven't been watching all season.

Then there were:
- What's with Stuart's comic shop? It looked like the old shop in this episode. The counter even looked like it was on the wrong side of the store.

- Stuart was semi-out of character. He was more like the Stuart from a few years ago, not the mopey depressed guy from the past two years.

- Raj's girlfriend's sudden fixation on death. Where the hell did that come from? She didn't have any weird death themed items(or Walking Dead) in her apartment previously.

- Camera work. Back to the director thing, we had a camera pan from behind Sheldon's desk to Penny & Leonard on the couch. That's always seemed to be a static camera shot. It felt out of place. Then they took the camera behind the kitchen counter. Don't think they've done that before. They've shown a first person perspective from there, but I don't recall ever seeing behind the counter itself.

- Penny & Leonard are good together, have been good together. They decide to elope and the audience is with and happy for them. Then they throw in the kiss, for what? Totally unnecessary.

The jokes themselves were solid, but the whole episode felt like a different show. They spent an entire season not advancing any relationships and then decide to tackle them all in the finale? What a misguided approach. The only upside is Amy finally dumping Sheldon's ass. I don't care if he just happened to have a ring to propose. He's a terrible boyfriend.
Old 05-08-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
- Raj's girlfriend's sudden fixation on death. Where the hell did that come from? She didn't have any weird death themed items(or Walking Dead) in her apartment previously.
No, they've been indicating that she has a morbid sense of humor for a while
Old 05-10-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Paff
No, they've been indicating that she has a morbid sense of humor for a while
Yeah, although it's a bit one-note, since that's basically her only character trait. That said, there's something kind of existential about sex in a cemetery. An act of creating life in a place surrounded by death, you know?

I think I might need some help.

It's a little odd, but I don't know why it bothers Raj as much as it does. It's not like she has lampshades made of human skin or something, she just likes horror movie models and stuff. Hell, so do it. Having a plastic Godzilla doesn't make me kinky or anything, it's just stuff, like a sports team hat to me. I mean, maybe she makes him a little uncomfortable, but it's not like she's malicious.

Though Raj is kind of a coward for not talking to her about it just because he's glad to be getting laid.
Old 05-10-15, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'll really piss me off if they break up Leonard and Penny, AGAIN! Especially with such a stupid, contrived bullshit reason. One of my biggest pet peeves is that modern comedy writers can't seem to write a funny romantic relationship without making both participants immature emotional retards always deathly afraid of any type of commitment.
Old 05-10-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Did they Penny and Leonard, break up. I don't remember that.
Old 05-10-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They didn't technically, but after what Leonard confessed, their relationship is going to be pretty damaged.
Old 05-10-15, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

He just kissed someone. That was it. They break up over that? I doubt it.
Old 05-11-15, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Penny fucked Raj. I think that would be harder to get over.
Old 05-11-15, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't he finish prematurely before anything really happened?
Old 05-11-15, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The didn't sleep together, Raj was too drunk to start anything. Once they were nekkid, they fell asleep.
Old 05-11-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
As someone who watched, or should I say endured, all ten years of Smallville, I can sympathize with Sheldon's dilemma.
Right there with ya...

I prefer episodes where there's more interaction between the guys. This one left me feeling... weird.
Old 05-11-15, 01:22 PM

All that wasted time on Smallville... so true Sheldon.. waited 10 years just to see a guy wear a cape and fly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.