Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Americans (S3E13) - Season Finale - "March 8, 1983" - 4/22/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts
Re: The Americans (S3E13) - Season Finale - "March 8, 1983" - 4/22/15

Alright, as someone who thinks this show is the best thing on tv and hasn't been afraid to say it, I will admit that I was a little disappointed with the finale. It was still a good episode of tv, but after last week I expected a bit more. Unless they have something really big cooking for the Martha storyline, to just sort of brush off the reveal from last episode and not even say Martha's name until 5 minutes left in the ep felt like a pretty big FU. I mean what could Philip have possibly told her that got him out of that situation?

The resolution to the double agent subplot was a bit underwhelming as well, but that story was always more about Stan and where he is in life right now. I know he ultimately came out of it alright, but I was glad to see Gaad dress him down and point out how stupid he was to think that anyone would give a darn about getting Nina back.

I really love the way the Paige story has played out. It makes perfect sense that she would just meltdown after everything she has learned. And you know her cries of "I just can't do this" (or whatever it was) is echoing what Philip is feeling right now.

One last thought, does anyone else think something big will happen with Henry at some point? His story has played out mostly in the background, but I sense something big percolating and I don't just mean that he feels alone and starts seeing Stan as his de facto new dad. Obviously that's where they are headed, but I can't help but think it's going to lead to something bigger than that.
Old 04-24-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Now that Paige is in on the secret, it's only a matter of time until Henry finds out. I imagine his reaction would be far different.
Old 04-24-15, 03:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought the finale was ho hum until the end with Paige, Reagan, etc. Looking forward to S4.

One thing that has always stuck out to me was why the Russians usually refer to another via first and last name. While I'm sure many of you know this, I learned something new today about patronymics :-)

For size...
Spoiler:
Why do the Russian characters always refer to eachother by first and "last" name??

The Russian characters on the show(mainly the characters in the Rezidentura) are actually not referring to each other by first and last name, rather, they are referring to each other by a first name and patronymic. Russian names are comprise of 3 parts, a first name, a patronymic(which is derived from the father's first name), and a last name/surname.

For an example, there is a Russian guy named Pavel and his father's name is Ivan, therefore his first name and patronymic would be Pavel Ivanovich. His full name could look like Pavel Ivanovich Mishkin. Or quite literally, Pavel son of Ivan Mishkin.

For women, the same rules apply, but the ending is feminine for the patronymic. If there is a woman named Anastasia, and her father's name is Sergei, then her name and patronymic would be Anastasia Sergeevna.Anastasia daughter of Sergei. Her full name could be Anastasia Sergeevna Mishkina. Notice the feminine ending with "a".

-ovich and -evich are attached to the ending of first names for males to form a male patronymic, whereas -ovna and -evna are attached to the ending of first names for a female's patronymic.
Old 04-24-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I completely expect Philip to turn at some point. In fact, I think that ultimately he will kill Elizabeth. The way they framed them watching Regan's Evil Empire speech, clearly mirrored their difference in viewpoints: Philip LIKES America, like EST because he needs self actualization and freedom (from Russia) whereas Elizabeth might even be more anti American and hard line Russian than she was in season 1.

Also this is not 24. I think the minister is a minister.

Philip's problem is he has a conscious. You can see hes getting more and more disillusioned. He couldn't even bullshit that Arab guy about how what he doing isn't wrong. He wants a better life for his children like most normal humans. Elizabeth on the other hand is basically a robot. Unable to stray in the slightest from her programming. She would eat Paige and Henry if the Center ordered her too.
Old 04-25-15, 04:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thrush
Philip's problem is he has a conscious. You can see hes getting more and more disillusioned. He couldn't even bullshit that Arab guy about how what he doing isn't wrong. He wants a better life for his children like most normal humans. Elizabeth on the other hand is basically a robot. Unable to stray in the slightest from her programming. She would eat Paige and Henry if the Center ordered her too.
Interesting to see if they'll eventually pit Liz vs. Phil in an ultimate showdown over the kids.

Last edited by creekdipper; 04-25-15 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-25-15, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

I also agree that it's probably the best show on TV (though I still like Game of Thrones more and will love Mad Men until my dying day), and I too was a little disappointed in the ending -- especially ignoring the Martha storyline after last week. It didn't feel fair or earned that they could just dance around her fate like that. I wonder if the show runners were aware of how invested fans are in her character. I did like the tension of the final scene. Paige doesn't strike me as secret agent material (though I think Holly Taylor has had anamazing season and should be on the Supporting Actress short list this year). I also liked the agency bringing Elizabeth's mother to West Berlin in that scene. Wasn't really sure what Nina and the scientist ended up agreeing to in that final scene there or where her story goes from here.

Here is the hour long Americans Season Three recap podcast that Andy Greenwald recorded with the show-runner Joel Field. I haven't listened to it yet but will soon :

Last edited by Decker; 04-25-15 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-25-15, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 0073735963
Thought the finale was ho hum until the end with Paige, Reagan, etc. Looking forward to S4.

One thing that has always stuck out to me was why the Russians usually refer to another via first and last name. While I'm sure many of you know this, I learned something new today about patronymics :-)

For size...
Spoiler:
Why do the Russian characters always refer to eachother by first and "last" name??

The Russian characters on the show(mainly the characters in the Rezidentura) are actually not referring to each other by first and last name, rather, they are referring to each other by a first name and patronymic. Russian names are comprise of 3 parts, a first name, a patronymic(which is derived from the father's first name), and a last name/surname.

For an example, there is a Russian guy named Pavel and his father's name is Ivan, therefore his first name and patronymic would be Pavel Ivanovich. His full name could look like Pavel Ivanovich Mishkin. Or quite literally, Pavel son of Ivan Mishkin.

For women, the same rules apply, but the ending is feminine for the patronymic. If there is a woman named Anastasia, and her father's name is Sergei, then her name and patronymic would be Anastasia Sergeevna.Anastasia daughter of Sergei. Her full name could be Anastasia Sergeevna Mishkina. Notice the feminine ending with "a".

-ovich and -evich are attached to the ending of first names for males to form a male patronymic, whereas -ovna and -evna are attached to the ending of first names for a female's patronymic.
Also ichna for women was well
Old 04-25-15, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
I also agree that it's probably the best show on TV (though I still like Game of Thrones more and will love Mad Men until my dying day), and I too was a little disappointed in the ending -- especially ignoring the Martha storyline after last week. It didn't feel fair or earned that they could just dance around her fate like that. I wonder if the show runners were aware of how invested fans are in her character. I did like the tension of the final scene. Paige doesn't strike me as secret agent material (though I think Holly Taylor has had anamazing season and should be on the Supporting Actress short list this year). I also liked the agency bringing Elizabeth's mother to West Berlin in that scene. Wasn't really sure what Nina and the scientist ended up agreeing to in that final scene there or where her story goes from here.

Here is the hour long Americans Season Three recap podcast that Andy Greenwald recorded with the show-runner Joel Field. I haven't listened to it yet but will soon :
I think the interesting thing is how similar Paige and Elizabeth are (blind devotion to a cause), and how instead of making her more suitable to become an agent it puts her in an ultimately adversarial relationship with her mother. I have no doubt the ultimate end game will be Philip vs. Elizabeth. If this final episode foreshadowed the ending, only the son is likely to survive.
Old 04-25-15, 10:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I can see Phillip and Paige taking the brother and escaping
Leaving Elizabeth to her own devices....

Living under cover for the rest of there lives....

I would hate to see anyone get killed in a finale, but that's a very likely scenario...
Old 04-25-15, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I can see Phillip and Paige taking the brother and escaping
Leaving Elizabeth to her own devices....

Living under cover for the rest of there lives....
Maybe they can take along Stan's ex since she's getting cozy with Phillip.

Henry would be a happy kid.
Old 04-25-15, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Maybe they can take along Stan's ex since she's getting cozy with Phillip.

Henry would be a happy kid.
Stan's wife would be cleaning a bunch of stuck together socks I think.
Old 04-26-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mnementh
Nerd nitpicks: the Commodore 64 went straight to a word processor editing screen without a splash screen and the program loaded in a split second but I can understand the director not wanting to display how annoyingly slow the floppy drive was. The word processor is WordStar, which wasn't released for the C64. It's also in 80-column mode although the C64 didn't appear to have an 80-column expansion cartridge plugged in and that wouldn't have been available in 1983 anyway. Lastly, C64s in a home probably would've been connected to a TV or a color monitor to take advantage of their 16-color output.
The Fender guitar was a late model American Standard not released until 1986. It would have been either a Smith strat or an elite at that time. Ruined the whole scene!
Old 04-26-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Could Pastor Tim be part of the KGB? If the Center knows that Paige knows, I'd have to believe that they'd be monitoring all calls in and out of the Jenning's household. And if the phone calls are monitored, there were plenty of times when that phone call could have been disconnected.
I came here to post this. I think that the Centre found a way to get to Paige through religion and Pastor Tim. But there really are only two possibilities:

1) Pastor Tim and his wife are KGB agents; or

2) Pastor Tim and his wife are dead.
Old 04-26-15, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I came here to post this. I think that the Centre found a way to get to Paige through religion and Pastor Tim. But there really are only two possibilities:

I would be willing to bet every penny in my bank account that Pastor Tim and his wife are nothing more than a pastor and his wife.
Old 04-26-15, 10:59 AM

...and soon to be dead.
Old 04-26-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Yes, the lack of a payoff for the Martha was really frustrating to me. I did find the Sandra-Phil scenes interesting and am looking forward to see what comes of it.

They gave the Nina storyline more time that I would have thought.

The funniest part of the episode was when Gaad pointed out how stupid Stan's proposed exchange of Zenaida for Nina was.
Old 04-27-15, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh

Agreed.

Here's what I expect/hope for S4:

- Pastor Tim was just a pastor
- Paige's phone is tapped in case she reacted this way, Elisabeth will learn what she did and kill Pastor Tim & wife.
- Paige and Elisabeth will feud and that will mess up Philip and Elisabeth's relationship further
- Philip will grow further appart from Elisabeth while getting closer to either Martha or Stan's ex
- Philip will consider switching sides, maybe talk to Stan about it, leading up to a Philip vs. Elisabeth thing ending the series
Old 04-28-15, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was finally to able to watch it last night. While not as climatic as one would expect, it was still good and sets up the next season.

I think the writers will do something more creative with Paige. Realistically, for her to convert, she needs to become disillusioned with the church and that form of faith. I don't think simply killing the pastor will do that. It would have the opposite effect.

The last shot during the Evil Empire speech was great (and chilling).
Old 04-28-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by albert_m
I think the writers will do something more creative with Paige. Realistically, for her to convert, she needs to become disillusioned with the church and that form of faith. .
It seemed to me that the pastor and his wife shared an odd look/glance when Phillip and Elizabeth came to pick up Paige from her attempted sleepover. I wonder if they may yet do something that sends Paige back to her parents.
Old 04-29-15, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by bralph
It seemed to me that the pastor and his wife shared an odd look/glance when Phillip and Elizabeth came to pick up Paige from her attempted sleepover. I wonder if they may yet do something that sends Paige back to her parents.
Could be, and Paige would be happy that Mom pops a bullet in them afterwards...
Old 07-05-15, 03:06 PM

the season finale was little disappointing
but still can't wait for next season

http://www.vulture.com/2015/06/vultu...est-drama.html

vulture just gave this show best drama award
Old 07-06-15, 02:55 AM

Crazy as it sounds for a show that has miniscle ratings and zero major nominations in the first two seasons, I think it's the front-runner for the Best Drama Emmy come September.
Old 07-06-15, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Crazy as it sounds for a show that has miniscle ratings and zero major nominations in the first two seasons, I think it's the front-runner for the Best Drama Emmy come September.
I can't say I follow the tv landscape too closely, but I think that will be a tough nut to crack. All of the incumbents, aside from Breaking Bad, will be back this year. Or did True Detective not make the cutoff? Either way, they are adding another nominee slot, but the comedy and mini-series rules have become stricter, so something like Orange is the New Black would now be eligible for the drama award. Throw in new shows like The Affair, The Leftovers, Empire, Better Call Saul, as well as previous nominees like The Good Wife and Homeland and you have one packed category. Even if it got a nomination, there's pretty much no chance it's going to win. My guess is Game of Thrones or House of Cards (which by the way is inferior to The Americans in just about every conceivable way) gets the win.
Old 07-06-15, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't seen The Affair or The Leftovers, but this season of The Americans was better than Homeland and just as good as Better Call Saul. The trouble with Game of Thrones is that they've had better seasons and people might feel it doesn't deserve it this year. I would have no problem with The Americans winning it this year, but I do recognize it is not a buzzworthy show and would be surprised if it did actually win.

I think the best show last year was Fargo (True Detective a close 2nd). Too bad Fargo is going to be on later this year, and I'm not sure if True Detective's 2nd season is going to make the cutoff for the Emmys this year.
Old 07-06-15, 09:37 PM

True Detective does not make the cut as it premiered after June 1st. In addition, thanks to the new rules, it would be ineligible since it has a stand-alone story. It would only be eligible for Best Limited Series. Ditto Fargo.

Definition of “Series” and “Limited Series”: “Mini-Series” will be changed to “Limited Series” and defined as programs of two or more episodes with a total running time of at least 150 program minutes that tell a complete, non-recurring story, and do not have an ongoing storyline and/or main characters in subsequent seasons. “Comedy” and “Drama” Series will continue to be defined as programs with a minimum of six episodes which have an ongoing storyline, theme and main characters presented under the same title and with continuity of production supervision.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.