Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Americans (S3E12) - "I Am Abassin Zadran" - 4/15/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 02:47 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
The Americans (S3E12) - "I Am Abassin Zadran" - 4/15/15

Episode 12 / Production #312 - "I Am Abassin Zadran" (Airs April 15, 10:00 pm e/p) - Martha hosts an unexpected guest. Philip and Elizabeth must work a formidable Mujahideen commander. Paige acts out. Written by Peter Ackerman & Stuart Zicherman; directed by Christopher Misiano.
Old 04-16-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: The Americans (S3E12) - "I Am Abassin Zadran" - 4/15/15

It is about time to just ship Paige off. She is going to ruin everything.
Old 04-17-15, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
It is about time to just ship Paige off. She is going to ruin everything.
She couldn't even keep Henry's secret. Foreshadowing?
Old 04-17-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I'm more than a little worried for poor Martha right now. This looks like the end of the line for her.

They spent an awful lot of time on the Russian Embassy's bugging of the mail robot. If that is supposed to be an important subplot, I sure don't know or remember why.
Old 04-17-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

This show is just fantastic. I still can't figure out why it doesn't get more attention than it does.

I can't wait to see what they do with Martha. Unfortunately I can't imagine any way out of this situation that goes well for her. I really think Phillip does care about her though, so I don't see him be excited with the idea of killing her. I also don't think she'll be willing to buy into another lie at this point, so he may have no choice.

Between Martha and Paige, the Jennings' world is really starting to crumble around them. It makes me wonder if the writers are moving towards an endgame. Obviously the show is coming back next year, but it doesn't get good ratings and (inexplicably) gets little to no awards buzz despite its critical acclaim. I can't imagine it will be around much longer unless it starts collecting Emmys. As much as I love the show, I'd rather it have a definitive end after 4 seasons than have it stretch things out inorganically only to be suddenly canceled.
Old 04-17-15, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We really like the show but agree that, if the meandering, teasing plot lines keep up, seems that 4 seasons would be about right to end things on a high note.

Between the "Kimmie" teasing, newbie spy intern, Nadia diversions, Stan's EST & divorce dilemmas, and the hand-wringing over Paige, there does seem to be a lack of focus this season. Lots of subplots that don't deliver. The mail robot thing better pay off with a big security breach coup.

Even with these criticisms, still like the show much more than some standard-action "spy show" (Nikita, for instance). Actually enjoy subplots as long as they move the show forward.

At least the pen bug was used as a story device to put the mental squeeze on Martha & create another crisis of conscience for Phillip.
Old 04-17-15, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I've been happier with this season on an episode to episode basis, they've definitely tightened up the writing and characterization. Last season did have the very compelling Nina arc of will she or won't she turn traitor. I don't know about others but I really don't care too much about Paige as a character, she was a background character so long it is hard to get emotionally invested in her arc.

I think in reality the KGB wouldn't in their right minds try to turn Paige. Elizabeth and Philip are far too valuable of assets for the KGB to risk losing them for a 14-year-old girl that has no allegiance to the USSR.
Old 04-17-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
This show is just fantastic. I still can't figure out why it doesn't get more attention than it does.
Because nothing fucking happens. Really! Sure, there's a lot of build up and tension that ultimately leads to... nothing. And due to the premise of the show, nothing really can happen until the very end. So everything's pretty much been one tease after another, with every set up ending in a whimper because nothing can happen to the leads without the show changing drastically.

But then they show us Kerri Russell's amazing ass and all is forgiven!
Old 04-17-15, 05:14 PM

Ive heard they're looking at a five season run. That sounds about right, can't keep all these plates spinning forever
I heard an interesting theory on the Andy Greenwald Podcast episode on The Americans : He suggested that the ratings remain low because the show streams exclusively on Amazon Prime which a lot of folks dont have. This is a show that you can't just dive into in Season three and without the abilty to binge watch and catch up on previous seasons, you can't build your audience up.

As far as why doesn't it get more Emmy love, your guess is as good as mine but with four of last year's Best Actor Drama nominees ineligible this year, I hope at least Matthew Rhys gets a nod for this season.
Old 04-17-15, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Because nothing fucking happens. Really! Sure, there's a lot of build up and tension that ultimately leads to... nothing. And due to the premise of the show, nothing really can happen until the very end. So everything's pretty much been one tease after another, with every set up ending in a whimper because nothing can happen to the leads without the show changing drastically.

But then they show us Kerri Russell's amazing ass and all is forgiven!
I guess I just don't see what people would want that's different. I mean this show is never going to be 24. Besides, some pretty big dominoes have fallen this season and every scene (well maybe not the stuff in the Rezidentura) has me glued to my seat. The leads are all so good and sure, there's a lot of storylines that are just simmering in the background, but until we get to the point where something is definitively never paid off, I guess I don't get the complaints.
Old 04-17-15, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Ive heard they're looking at a five season run. That sounds about right, can't keep all these plates spinning forever
I heard an interesting theory on the Andy Greenwald Podcast episode on The Americans : He suggested that the ratings remain low because the show streams exclusively on Amazon Prime which a lot of folks dont have. This is a show that you can't just dive into in Season three and without the abilty to binge watch and catch up on previous seasons, you can't build your audience up.

As far as why doesn't it get more Emmy love, your guess is as good as mine but with four of last year's Best Actor Drama nominees ineligible this year, I hope at least Matthew Rhys gets a nod for this season.
I'm kind of surprised FX didn't renew it for two years. We're in season 3 right now, they could have come out and said there will be season 4 and they'll wrap it up in season 5.
Old 04-17-15, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe they show her in the previews for next week but I thought the wig reveal meant that he would kill her right then, especially with the foreshadowing dialogue on here room never being converted to a sewing room.
Old 04-17-15, 08:00 PM

Well we still have Martha's "Chekov's Gun" in the drawer to deal with.
Old 04-18-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Well we still have Martha's "Chekov's Gun" in the drawer to deal with.
Wasn't that shown a couple of episodes ago? I guess Martha could shoot Philip.
Old 04-19-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Maybe they show her in the previews for next week but I thought the wig reveal meant that he would kill her right then, especially with the foreshadowing dialogue on here room never being converted to a sewing room.
I think she's a goner. Look at Phillip's facial expressions when he is removing his wig. It isn't exactly nice and peachy.
Old 04-19-15, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Philips removing of the wig is basically his last ditch effort to get Martha in line. If she doesnt get on board and tries to leave shes toast. I dont know why she was waiting around for him. She should have booked and maybe called him after the fact.
Old 04-19-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

On a related note, I do think there is something off with the new FBI agent. How are they going to tie up all the dangling threads in the finale, seems like it would need to be 3 hours.
Old 04-19-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great episode.

And yeah, Martha should be gone. Poor Phillip.