TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Orphan Black (BBC America) - Season 3 Discussion Thread - Premieres 4/18/15

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Orphan Black (BBC America) - Season 3 Discussion Thread - Premieres 4/18/15

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I'm finding this show to be pretty much unwatchable lately, which makes me kind of sad.
I enjoyed Season 1 but started to feel that way during Season 2 and I don't think I am going to start season 3. Its a shame because its a great premise and the she pulls off all of the different roles she plays. But the show is just one big 'which character will turn on another character' show week to week.
Old 05-19-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember the last show I went from loving to hating it like this. Maybe Heroes?
Old 05-19-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I can't remember the last show I went from loving to hating it like this. Maybe Heroes?
dammmmmmnnnnnnnnn
Old 05-19-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
But the show is just one big 'which character will turn on another character' show week to week.
That and "what character will get kidnapped this week?" as well.

All they did the last couple weeks was switch a kidnapped Helena for a kidnapped Sarah (with a bit of overlap)

And the constant questioning whether Paul is a good guy or bad guy is annoying. I also don't care about Cosima's love life.

The Allison character is great, but in the midst of the stuff that's going on - I don't find her running for election and how she's doing it all that interesting.

I'll give the show the full season before I make my decision. If nothing really changes then I'll bail - even if the last episode is fantastic with a great cliff-hanger... it won't be enough to get me on board with S4.
Old 05-19-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, this season has become boring and incoherent. The Allison stuff is all that really feels like classic Orphan Black anymore. This most recent episode was terrible, with a boring, drawn out "escape" scene from probably the most horrible set I've seen on a TV show in years. Only for Helena to turn back at the end as a cliffhanger. Glad they spent so much time showing her wander through anonymous hallways. The actor who plays the male clone is no match for Tatiana and doesn't have half the range, so all of the clones are kind of the same and have no character. I'm not sure how Dyad even fits in anymore or what's happening with this new villain and the military, but it just feels like the conspiracy has gone one step too far and they should have kept it dialed back so the cast and story didn't become so bloated.
Old 05-19-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't hate the show but I'm kind of lost. No idea what the eye thing is about. I'm not sure if the clones have what they need to save them or not. Was the date just a date or something more. If it was just a date why would they put that in the show. The show just seems like a mess at the moment.
Old 05-19-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I gave up on Orphan Black a week ago. I just didn't have a lot of interest in the storylines anymore. The drug-dealing stuff with Allison was funny but the various factions fighting over the clones has become an unwieldy mess.

I think the big mistake was leaving so many of the female clones alive at the end of last season. There are simply too many different characters to follow in a ten-episode season. I have zero interest in seeing the further adventures of the crazy clone.
Old 05-27-15, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add another to the list who's having trouble staying with this. Far too much going on with all the different story threads going on. Will stick out the rest of the season but not sure I'll come back next year.
Old 05-28-15, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Much of the "fun" of the series has been to watch Tatiana play so many rich, varied characters (after three seasons she still amazes me) and to watch them interact with the main cast and each other. This season seems to be keeping everyone apart, and that's not as much fun. This season feels more like just your average Canadian SF show, particularly with the focus being on the extremely one-dimensional male clones (I don't know whether to blame the actor or the writing). I'm sticking with the show but its a bit of a drag this year.
Old 05-28-15, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson
particularly with the focus being on the extremely one-dimensional male clones (I don't know whether to blame the actor or the writing).
This is exactly the issue. It seems like including the male clones has meant there's less time for the female clones, which is impacting the quality of the show. I'm at the point where where I don't really care which clone is which to be honest. They're that similar they could be the same character.
Old 05-28-15, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm just about ready to give up on this show. It's painful
Old 05-30-15, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

Still love it. Last week's episode was great, and so was tonight's.
Old 05-31-15, 04:40 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Considering the Castor clones were brought up together, it's understandable that they don't display the distinct personalities the female clones developed. I think the actor playing them is doing fine.

Again, this show probably just works better if you're binge watching it. You can argue that the plot is becoming too muddled, but I don't find it to be incoherent in the slightest. It's certainly a slow burn and takes it's time doling out information, but there's usually a payoff of some kind. I certainly felt more jerked around while watching Lost than I do Orphan Black.
Old 05-31-15, 10:49 AM

This is becoming a show I passively watch. Last week's episode was almost a 'If you've given up on Orphan Black, this episode will bring you back' type of redemption. However, when the Allison storyline's Three's Company-like antics began, I tuned out. I'm starting to think we're watching the final season of this show.
Old 05-31-15, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This weeks episode was better than the last few - even with the whole clone switching antics, which is getting tiring. Although it continues to showcase Maslani's talent in making the clones act differently - even when they're playing each other.
Old 06-01-15, 09:06 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

It did feel like a retread of the episode where Sarah pretends to be Alison at the neighborhood potluck and wacky shenanigans ensue.

I found it odd that Cosima would be reckless enough to show up at a function full of Alison's acquaintances just to collect a urine sample (which she didn't even get). Still, these switcheroo scenarios are always fun to watch thanks to Maslany's performance.
Old 06-01-15, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Coral
This weeks episode was better than the last few - even with the whole clone switching antics, which is getting tiring. Although it continues to showcase Maslani's talent in making the clones act differently - even when they're playing each other.
I actually enjoyed it a lot, seemed like a return to form for the show. I admit I love all the clone switching antics though, that sort of thing is what made the first season so good IMO and has been sorely lacking this season with everyone so split up. Allison is the best clone, so I always enjoy an episode focused on her anyway.

I'm enjoying the Rachel story as well. I think the season is picking up a bit from a slow start.
Old 06-01-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, these past two episodes have been a return to form. Especially the Rachel and Alison storylines. Thank goodness for them cause this one was about to be dropped from my season pass list.
Old 06-07-15, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

I thought last night's episode was pretty good. I especially loved the scene with Donny and Helena--that cracked me up. Allison wanting to fool around with her ex is kind of annoying though. I would love to see Helena put that guy in his place.

The new manicurist clone was okay, though a bit shallow. She's sidelined for now, but we could certainly see her again sooner or later. And Rachel's a player again...

Looks like next week we get Mrs. S singing. Shout out to fans of The Commitments?
Old 06-08-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Season 1 was good, season 2 was okay (I mostly watched it in the background), and I thought season 3 would be less of a background viewing season and more of a pay closer attention to what is on the tube one, but nope...still background viewing for me. I think Tatiana Maslany is stunning, so her characters still hold my attention, but the show is not appointment television (I always thought she was an actress with the ability to hold ones attention from her Heartland days).
Old 06-09-15, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I would love to see Helena put that guy in his place.
Well...

Spoiler:

A clip from the next episode seems to indicate that Helena kills him.
Old 06-10-15, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another good episode. Helena and Donnie was priceless. Too bad we won't get to see more of Crystal though....

All in all I think we've turned the page from the first half of this season. The story still isn't where I'd like it to be but it's back to being very entertaining IMHO.
Old 06-10-15, 04:39 PM

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

1) I am tried of seeing Cosima sick all the time. Since she's the only one with a science background I don't think they would kill her so cure her already.

2) In the first season didn't they give a specific number of female clones. I thought I remembered 9 or 10. We are passed that number with: Sarah, Cosima, Allison, Helen, Rachel, Crystal, Beth, Tony, the teacher clone that died plus at least two killed by Helen.

Last edited by Kdogg; 06-10-15 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg

2) In the first season didn't they give a specific number of female clones. I thought I remembered 9 or 10. We are passed that number with: Sarah, Cosima, Allison, Helen, Rachel, Crystal, Beth, Tony, the teacher clone that died plus at least two killed by Helen.
I don't think they ever put an actual number on the clones. The closest was the list Beth had.

And, on top of that, Sarah and Helena were operating off-theg-grid (or in the black, as the title suggests).
Old 06-10-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else getting annoyed with the music playing constantly throughout the episodes? It doesn't let up for a conversation or the length of a scene - there's just always something playing in the background.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.