Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sinatra: All or Nothing at All (HBO) - Two Part Documentary Event - Premieres 4/5/15

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sinatra: All or Nothing at All (HBO) - Two Part Documentary Event - Premieres 4/5/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-15, 02:39 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

SINATRA: ALL OR NOTHING AT ALL is an up-close and personal examination of the life, music and career of the legendary entertainer. Told in his own words from hours of archived interviews, along with commentary from those closest to him, the documentary weaves the music and images from Sinatra’s life together with rarely seen footage of Sinatra’s famous 1971 “Retirement Concert” in Los Angeles. The film’s narrative is shaped by Sinatra’s song choices for that concert, which Gibney interprets as the singer’s personal guide through his own life.

Focusing on Sinatra’s first 60 years – beginning with his birth in Hoboken, New Jersey and meteoric rise in his 20s – and drawing on comments from friends and family, as well as never-before-seen footage from home movies and concert performances, this unprecedented tribute to the beloved showman follows Sinatra’s growth from roadhouse performer to global singing sensation.

With the participation of the Frank Sinatra Estate, family members and archivists, SINATRA: ALL OR NOTHING AT ALL is an intimate portrait of the singer, actor, father, husband and philanthropist.

Alex Gibney’s other HBO documentaries include “Mr. Dynamite: The Rise of James Brown,” the Oscar®-winning “Taxi to the Dark Side,” the Emmy®-winning “Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God,” “My Trip to Al-Qaeda” and the upcoming “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief.”

SINATRA: ALL OR NOTHING AT ALL is an HBO Documentary Films presentation of a Jigsaw Production in association with Alcon Television Group and The Kennedy-Marshall Company; executive producers, Charles Pignone, Frank Marshall, Alex Gibney and Blair Foster; executive producers for Alcon Television, Andrew Kosove, Broderick Johnson and Sharon Hall; producers, Jeff Pollack, Erin Edeiken and Sam Pollard; editors, Sam Pollard, Ben Sozanski and Anoosh Tertzakian.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J9Ph1ap_AhE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sinatra: All or Nothing at All, a two-part documentary event, premieres April 5 and 6 at 8PM, only on HBO.
Old 04-05-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Sinatra: All or Nothing at All (HBO) - Two Part Documentary Event - Premieres 4/5

I just heard about this documentary from a colleague. Will definitely record it. Always been interested in Sinatra's life and career.
Old 04-05-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Sinatra: All or Nothing at All (HBO) - Two Part Documentary Event - Premieres 4/5

I set my DVR last week

HBO has a preview weekend next weekend on Directv so maybe that might be a chance for some people to catch it.
Old 04-06-15, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

DVR'd it last night and tonight as I will probably watch it over the weekend. Really looking forward to it as Sinatra is up there with Elvis and The Beatles as someone who was bigger then life.
Old 04-06-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

I just watched Part 1. It's a very long & detailed 2 hours.

My suggestion: Only watch this if you're a Sinatra fan. It's told from the perspective of old footage, black and white stills and audio recordings. The recordings feature interviews with him and his family.

Part 1 goes into pretty heavy detail of his young life, singing career and personal life.

I assume part 2 will go more into his acting career and the Rat Pack.
Old 04-07-15, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Ok, so if this is approved by the family I'm guessing it won't have any juicy stuff in it?

Kinda disappointed if that's the case. I recorded it just in case.
Old 04-07-15, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Ok, so if this is approved by the family I'm guessing it won't have any juicy stuff in it?

Kinda disappointed if that's the case. I recorded it just in case.
What do you mean by juicy? They pretty much leave no stone unturned. It is very detailed but not micro detailed. It doesn't go into the recording of every track of every album or making of every movie.
I believe the audio interviews of those still alive are new. The Ava Gardner stuff is read by someone else.
It's interesting to hear and see Sinatra himself talk about everything from audio interviews and extensive use of interview with Cronkite. These interviews seem to be pre JFK assassination. From that point on we don't hear from Frank himself.
Old 04-07-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2015/04/frank-si...bo-1201405878/

This doesn't surprise me one bit. The Sinatra documentary was mostly watched by people 50 or older.
Old 04-10-15, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it but they spent too much time on his love life and not a lot of time on his music.

Zoned out during the Mia Farrow segment.

I liked the part where he said the F word to some government official who accused him of being a Communist.

Maybe I am in the minority but I liked his voice better when he got older in the 70's when he did the Main Event.
Old 12-05-15, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CBS has a Sinatra 100 special tomorrow

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JfQGM7qV4mc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>