Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - Premieres 4/10/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Re: Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) - Season 1 Thread - Premieres 4/10/15

But Daredevil's radar is 360 and he's hyper aware of everything. Or at least he's supposed to be, as there were more than a few instances in the series where he conveniently didn't have this sensory power. Sorta like when Walking Dead needs their zombies to be stealthy ninjas; cheap contrivance!
Old 04-16-15, 05:29 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
But Daredevil's radar is 360 and he's hyper aware of everything. Or at least he's supposed to be, as there were more than a few instances in the series where he conveniently didn't have this sensory power. Sorta like when Walking Dead needs their zombies to be stealthy ninjas; cheap contrivance!
Also, Spider-Sense is only supposed to warn Spidey of danger. Although some writers have conveniently forgotten that and use the Spider-Sense to warn Spidey of anything in a precog like fashion. That's not how it is suppose to work though. Some enemies are able to bypass the Spider-Sense (most notably Venom since the symbiote used to be bonded with Spidey).

Originally Posted by fumanstan
To be fair, I don't think he was really being a jerk with that response. It's just that you were dismissive of two posts saying that it was explained, even after a link that corroborates the account.
Well to be fair again, the link he posted was a wiki link which like I said is not always accurate because it is user-submitted info.

The two posts saying it was meditation causing him not to age were also by one person, so it was also just one person saying this. Before that there were a few other posters saying they were confused by the lack of aging as well. So I was just playing the odds with the masses being right instead of the one.

His first post was just weirdly stated too, which is why I thought it was all a joke. He said that it was "clearly" explained that meditation kept Stick "so young." There's nothing "clear" about it since other posters were as confused as I was. Also, saying Stick was "so young" is just weird considering he has the body of a 70 year old man both in the flashbacks and the present. So yeah, it just sounded like a joke the way he said it.
Old 04-16-15, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Well to be fair again, the link he posted was a wiki link which like I said is not always accurate because it is user-submitted info.

The two posts saying it was meditation causing him not to age were also by one person, so it was also just one person saying this. Before that there were a few other posters saying they were confused by the lack of aging as well. So I was just playing the odds with the masses being right instead of the one.

His first post was just weirdly stated too, which is why I thought it was all a joke. He said that it was "clearly" explained that meditation kept Stick "so young." There's nothing "clear" about it since other posters were as confused as I was. Also, saying Stick was "so young" is just weird considering he has the body of a 70 year old man both in the flashbacks and the present. So yeah, it just sounded like a joke the way he said it.
Unless there's another scene I missed, the one where he talks about meditation goes :

Stick: Open yourself up to it. Learn it. Make you way stronger, more focused, even heal your wounds faster.
Matt: You can do that?
Stick: How do you think I'm still alive, kid?

He doesn't specifically state it slows aging, although I suppose it could be inferred. Does he have any anti-aging ability in the comics?
Old 04-16-15, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We are two different people. Pay closer attention!
Old 04-16-15, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't get that he was saying he was using the technique to stave off aging/death, but I can see how it may have been meant that way. If he had said a similar line after returning then it would be clearer but it doesn't make sense for him to hint at it that way with young Matt who, as far as we know, doesn't know his age or that he doesn't appear to age.
Old 04-16-15, 08:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nth Power
Unless there's another scene I missed, the one where he talks about meditation goes :

Stick: Open yourself up to it. Learn it. Make you way stronger, more focused, even heal your wounds faster.
Matt: You can do that?
Stick: How do you think I'm still alive, kid?

He doesn't specifically state it slows aging, although I suppose it could be inferred. Does he have any anti-aging ability in the comics?
I remember that dialogue. The idea that Stick was saying meditation slows his aging is really a stretch. I just took it to mean he has survived for a long time because meditation allows him to be stronger and heal faster during/after tough battles. Basically, without meditation he would have been killed in battle long before then is what he is saying. Warriors don't typically have long lifespans after all.

Originally Posted by wmansir
I didn't get that he was saying he was using the technique to stave off aging/death, but I can see how it may have been meant that way. If he had said a similar line after returning then it would be clearer but it doesn't make sense for him to hint at it that way with young Matt who, as far as we know, doesn't know his age or that he doesn't appear to age.
That too. If Stick said that bit of dialogue to an adult Murdock who was questioning why Stick hadn't aged in 20 years, then it would make more sense that he was saying meditation caused him to not age. But kid Murdock has no idea that Stick hasn't aged, so it doesn't work that way.
Old 04-16-15, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of Stick's episode can anyone fill me in on his final scene with his master or whatever. It was kind of a heavy thing to drop on an audience unfamiliar with the DD mythology. I was thinking they might get into it more in later episodes but they didn't. Is it perhaps related to Madame Gao's line her homeland being "much farther away" than China?

And any info on the "Black Sky" thing. At first I thought Stick was bluffing about taking care of it because it really seemed like something that shouldn't be done off screen, but I was wrong and the storyline was pretty much dropped after that.

For the benefit of others please spoiler tag any DD canon that hasn't been revealed in the series.
Old 04-16-15, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir

And any info on the "Black Sky" thing. At first I thought Stick was bluffing about taking care of it because it really seemed like something that shouldn't be done off screen, but I was wrong and the storyline was pretty much dropped after that.

For the benefit of others please spoiler tag any DD canon that hasn't been revealed in the series.
I didn't really get that part either. I'm not sure if I missed something or if they were just setting something up for the future. Did they explain what was up with that kid in chains?
Old 04-16-15, 09:14 AM
Banned

Episode 7 spoilers and also comic book spoilers

Spoiler:
The guy Stick was talking to at the end is named Stone. In the comics, Stone was another pupil of Stick, although in the TV series it looks like the roles might be reversed. Who knows.

In the DD comics, there is an evil ninja clan called The Hand. Stick and Stone are members of the ninja clan called The Chaste, which fights against The Hand.

Madam Gao is a character made up for the TV series, I think, but not entirely sure about that.

Nobu appears to be a member of The Hand, which is hinted at by his ninja garb when he fights Murdock. I don't think Nobu was in the comics though. I think he was created for the TV series like Madam Gao.

The Black Sky thing I also don't think is from the comics. I would assume that the whole Stone, Hand, Black Sky story is going to be continued in season 2. That whole episode seemed like setup for next season.
Old 04-16-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

No need to be that detailed, I didn't need a break down of your reasoning. I'm just saying it wasn't really a jerk response to me based off your disbelief.

Anyway, back to the show. I thought the Black Sky thing and the Stick episode was poorly executed with too much stuff left for another season, which other episodes on the show never do. Didn't care for the questions it left.
Old 04-16-15, 10:40 AM
Banned

No need to be that detailed, I didn't need a break down of your reasoning. I'm just saying it wasn't really a jerk response to me based off your disbelief.
I was correct to not blindly believe it. Someone posted the dialogue in a post above. It's really stretching to say that dialogue implies Stick uses meditation to prevent aging.

Anyway, back to the show. I thought the Black Sky thing and the Stick episode was poorly executed with too much stuff left for another season, which other episodes on the show never do. Didn't care for the questions it left.
The whole Madam Gao storyline seemed to be setting up the Iron Fist series, especially since Gao escaped in the end. I bet she will be back in that series.
Spoiler:
The logo on Gao's drugs is the same logo used by an Iron Fist enemy named Steel Serpent.
Old 04-16-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did anyone have a problem with...

Spoiler:
In the final episode, Daredevil being able to pick up a conversation in a distant truck who knows how far away when there's literally tens of thousands of conversations going on all over the city. Understand the hypersensitivity. Don't get how he can pick up sound waves that don't even travel far enough for him to hear or the ability to distinguish the conversation he wants to hear out of thousands.
Old 04-16-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The whole Madam Gao storyline seemed to be setting up the Iron Fist series, especially since Gao escaped in the end. I bet she will be back in that series.
Spoiler:
The logo on Gao's drugs is the same logo used by an Iron Fist enemy named Steel Serpent.
Not sure why this is a reply to my comment about Stick and Black Sky, but yeah I'm aware of the Iron Fist link.

Everyone who finished watching should go back and read the link I posted earlier about various references and easter eggs

http://screenrant.com/daredevil-netf...eggs-spoilers/

Easter Eggs and comic references. Spoilers in there for those who haven't finished watching yet.
Old 04-16-15, 10:47 AM
Banned

Not sure why this is a reply to my comment about Stick and Black Sky, but yeah I'm aware of the Iron Fist link.

Everyone who finished watching should go back and read the link I posted earlier about various references and easter eggs
I mentioned the Gao storyline because you said nothing else besides the Stick episode was setting up future seasons or shows. Maybe it was just an easter egg, but I doubt it. I bet dollars to donuts that Gao's storyline will be continued in the Iron Fist series.

Originally Posted by cungar

Spoiler:
In the final episode, Daredevil being able to pick up a conversation in a distant truck who knows how far away when there's literally tens of thousands of conversations going on all over the city. Understand the hypersensitivity. Don't get how he can pick up sound waves that don't even travel far enough for him to hear or the ability to distinguish the conversation he wants to hear out of thousands.
Superman can be in outer space and yet he can still somehow hear sounds in Metropolis. It's just comic book science. You just have to roll with it because it never makes sense.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 04-16-15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-16-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I mentioned the Gao storyline because you said nothing else besides the Stick episode was setting up future seasons or shows. Maybe it was just an easter egg, but I doubt it. I bet dollars to donuts that Gao's storyline will be continued in the Iron Fist series.
Gao's storyline isn't really the same as introducing a mysterious character at the end of an episode or introducing a mysterious child with unexplained power or importance.

And I didn't infer that the logo on Gao's drugs was just an easter egg and nothing more. I have no doubt there will be some link to Iron Fist and was certainly deliberate.
Old 04-16-15, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It probably would have been better just dropped from the storyline. Personally, I would have preferred to have Stick just shown in flashback. It ended up OK, but felt like he was being shoehorned into a team up with the Black Sky stuff.

Originally Posted by cungar

Spoiler:
It didn't bother me too much, but it would be nice for the writers to be consistent on what he can and can't do. As long as stretching his powers doesn't become a habit for lazy writing, I'm willing to give the writers a little leeway.
Old 04-16-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

How far does Daredevil's hearing sense reach in the comics? Just out of curiosity, I always thought it was more localized so seeing him up high being able to hear what seems to be miles away was new to me.
Old 04-16-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to be a jerk about it. I pay attention, but I just missed it. I'm not the only one in this thread who missed it. I'm sure there are things you miss too.
Technically, you were sorta jerky about it first to me. But I'm happy to let it slide so lets drop it and move on.
Old 04-16-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Eric F
Radar sense enables Daredevil to see, Spider-Sense gives Spider-Man precog abilities, so Spidey probably has the edge here. He'd be able to know what's coming beforehand.
I give Daredevil the nod. Spidey's sixth sense provides no actually information other then "Look out" and is basically useless in a fight since danger is ongoing. Daredevil gets constant feedback so he knows things that help him in the actual fight, as well as proved useful info on his surroundings. Spidey will get a warning in a crowd of people that "danger" is imminent, but won't know where it is coming from. Daredevil will pinpoint a random goon from a crowd from the smell of gun oil from a concealed handgun and hearing his rapid breathing.
Old 04-16-15, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

His hearing? Ehhhhh. It varies. Some writers extend it pretty far. That kind of irked me too. Again, this is me coming from my DD love of Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker. They seemed to make it more

DD's rader is sight pretty much. His smell and touch is insanely heightened. Awwww fuck it. Here's a general overall of DD's powers and such.

via Wikipedia:

Powers and abilities[edit]
Although the character is blind, his remaining four senses function with high levels of superhuman accuracy and sensitivity, giving him abilities far beyond the limits of a sighted person; few know that the hero cannot see. Daredevil developed a radar sense,[83] which is similar to echolocation.

When Frank Miller expanded most of Daredevil's abilities, he attempted to make them "extraordinary enough to be exciting, but not on par with Superman", noting Superman's distinctly unbelievable powers. When Miller joined the title in 1979, the first thing he did to the character was "revamp" his radar sense and made it less distinct and more believable; he wanted Daredevil to have the "proximity" sense that some martial artists claim to have. Due to the character's sensitive sense of touch, Daredevil can read by passing his fingers over the letters on a page. Though laminated pages prevent him from reading the ink. Daredevil has commonly used his superhuman hearing to serve as a lie detector for interrogation by listening for changes in a person's heartbeat. This ability can be fooled if the other person's heart is not beating at a natural rate, such as if they have a pacemaker.

Just as Daredevil's other senses are stronger, they are also sensitive; his main weakness is his vulnerability to powerful sounds or odors that can be used to temporarily weaken his radar sense. This weakness is often used to immobilize Daredevil if he is bombarded by too much sound, which will cause him great pain and disorient him. Since Daredevil's means of sight is based on what his radar sense and enhanced senses are able to detect, if anybody or anything around him does not exhibit any of these factors, then Daredevil would be unable to sense it. In one instance the hallucinogenic drug that Mysterio created was designed with no taste or smell so Daredevil could not tell he was drugged until he consulted Doctor Strange who was able to discover it from the small cross that Mysterio gave to Daredevil in disguise which contained the drug and Strange magically cured him.

His senses are highly acute; he has even been shown to be capable of sensing the minor atmospheric disturbance created when Nightcrawler is about to appear moments before the mutant in question actually arrives at his destination. When Daredevil fought Psylocke during the war between the Avengers and the X-Men, he briefly gained an advantage when she tried to read his mind and found herself overwhelmed by the sensory input she received from his enhanced senses, reflecting the scale of psychological training required for Daredevil to operate as he does.

While his radar sense mostly compensates for his blindness, it has certain limitations (explored most strongly during Mark Waid's run on the title). He can't perceive color without touch, and he can only read printed matter if the ink is raised enough for his sense of touch.[volume & issue needed] Most photographs, televisions, and computer screens are blank to him. He has also been shown to have difficulty perceiving a person's race (without cues other than skin color).

Though he has no superhuman physical attributes beyond an enhanced sense of balance, Daredevil is a master of martial arts. Having been trained by Stick, Daredevil is a master hand-to-hand combatant. His typical moves are unique blends of the martial arts of ninjutsu, aiki jujutsu, jujitsu, kung fu, capoeira, judo, aikido, wrestling, and stick fighting combined with American-style boxing while making full use of his gymnastics capabilities.

Daredevil's signature weapon is his specially-designed billy club, which he created. Disguised as a blind man's cane in civilian garb, it is a multi-purpose weapon and tool that contains thirty feet of aircraft control cable connected to a case-hardened steel grapnel. Internal mechanisms allow the cable to be neatly wound and unwound, while a powerful spring launches the grapnel. The handle can be straightened for use when throwing. The club can be split into two parts, one of which is a fighting baton, the other of which ends in a curved hook.

In his civilian identity, Murdock is a skilled and respected attorney with an encyclopedic knowledge of law,[citation needed] especially New York statutes. He is a skilled detective, tracker, and interrogation expert, as well as being an expert marksman
Old 04-16-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Just watched the first episode with Fisk. It's really refreshing to see my awkwardness around women portrayed on screen.
Old 04-16-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How far does Daredevil's hearing sense reach in the comics? Just out of curiosity, I always thought it was more localized so seeing him up high being able to hear what seems to be miles away was new to me.
It depends on the writer. But in the comics, he can tract someone's breathing or heartbeat from several city blocks away, or through a soundproof wall. They explain his convenient missing of things with his senses by saying that he constantly has to focus to weed out all the sensory information around him.
Old 04-16-15, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Navinabob
It depends on the writer. But in the comics, he can tract someone's breathing or heartbeat from several city blocks away, or through a soundproof wall. They explain his convenient missing of things with his senses by saying that he constantly has to focus to weed out all the sensory information around him.
Cool, I last read a handful of Daredevil trades years ago so I don't recall the extent of his powers. Sounds like the show covered exactly that, with Matt saying he had to focus.
Old 04-16-15, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't have a problem with him hearing the truck conversation because I just figured when he's doing that rooftop monitoring thing he's putting all his concentration into listening to the city. Of course it's unrealistic for him to be able to filter thousands of simultaneous conversations and other noises but I just put that down as another aspect of his supernatural ability.

One supersense moment I thought they messed up was that he apparently didn't smell the gunpowder residue on Karen. I know she showered, but if he's telling Foggy what he had for lunch 2 days ago I would think he could still detect gunpowder residue after a shower. Maybe he did detect it and just kept quiet, but he knows something is wrong and if he suspected it involved gunfire around her then it's difficult to imagine he wouldn't push harder on the issue.
Old 04-18-15, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
They explain it later. He's been apparently meditating/healing. It does not appear to be Wolvie-like, but he can at least heal a bruise overnight (Maybe 3 or 4 times as fast as normal?).
To follow up this meditation conversation a few pages ago regarding Murdock;

They do indeed specifically show him meditating in the middle of his living room (and if I recall, he is flashing back in his mind to his fight with nobu), and he specifically tells claire that meditation helps his healing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.