Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Agent Carter (S1E08) -- Season Finale -- "Valediction" -- 2/24/15

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Re: Marvel's Agent Carter (S1E08) -- Season Finale -- "Valediction" -- 2/24/15

Historical accuracy being important in a Marvel show. Suuuure...
Old 07-06-15, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't get the notion that because it's a fictional show, it's not allowed to have some sort of historical accuracy for the time period it's trying to depict. The Marvel Universe is still based on our real world, so whether or not there's a super soldier running around has nothing to do with them establishing that a woman's place during that era was the same as it was in real life. That's a pretty silly argument to take.

Now, complaining that they didn't need to beat the audience over the head with that stuff is a much easier and simpler argument.
Old 07-07-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasn't that that bothered me, it was the ham fisted fight scenes where she was fuckin' up dudes three times her size with her fists.
Old 07-07-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

The whole point of this show is that it is about a woman in the 1940's/50's doing things that a woman would never do back then. I'm not saying that the writers couldn't be a bit more deft in how they convey that message, but take that aspect away and what exactly are we left with?
Old 07-07-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't get the notion that because it's a fictional show, it's not allowed to have some sort of historical accuracy for the time period it's trying to depict. The Marvel Universe is still based on our real world, so whether or not there's a super soldier running around has nothing to do with them establishing that a woman's place during that era was the same as it was in real life. That's a pretty silly argument to take.

Now, complaining that they didn't need to beat the audience over the head with that stuff is a much easier and simpler argument.
Actually, The Marvel Cinematic Universe is a distinct universe (Earth 199999) as opposed to the main continuity (Earth 616).

Our "reality" is Earth 1218.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Multiverse/Universe_Listing
Old 07-07-15, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Not only did they beat us over the head with it, I didn't really understand why she put up with it. The Howling Commandos certainly didn't treat her that way, why stay there?

I was also a little disappointed that they didn't reveal anything out of the ordinary with Fonseca's character too.
Old 07-07-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did apreciate the scenery though. Damn.
Old 07-07-15, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Actually, The Marvel Cinematic Universe is a distinct universe (Earth 199999) as opposed to the main continuity (Earth 616).

Draxing it up taffer-style in here.
Old 07-07-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jason

None of this is relevant to my point, and the part of my post you bolded isn't wrong. I said "based on" for a reason. Agent Carter or Captain America's origin is still based on a similar timeline to our own where Nazi's and Hitler existed, and there's absolutely zero reason to question that Carter takes place in an era that looks down upon women much like our own did.

All the examples you give regarding a fictional universe is still completely irrelevant to the time period and social norms the show still depicts and takes place in.

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Draxing it up taffer-style in here.
It's funny because you're taffer.
Old 07-08-15, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. That's something Taffer would do. Blame the Taffer-ing on someone else and even using the Draxing for another too.

Oh, taffer.
Old 07-12-15, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On the lighter side of things, I may sometime hate the writing of this show but I do like Hayley Atwell as an actress and the shenanigans at SDCC 2015 proves that. Hayley and James D'Arcy against Agents of Shield cast had a #Dubsmash war and you should seek it out on Twitter.
Old 07-15-15, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
On the lighter side of things, I may sometime hate the writing of this show but I do like Hayley Atwell as an actress and the shenanigans at SDCC 2015 proves that. Hayley and James D'Arcy against Agents of Shield cast had a #Dubsmash war and you should seek it out on Twitter.
Here is a recap of what went on...

http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity...well-dubsmash/

Edit - One more link...

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/15...hield-dubsmash

Last edited by LorenzoL; 07-19-15 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-16-15, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I have no idea what dubsmash is, or even that marie claire has a website, but them dubbing Chloe Wang/Bennet's song was pretty inspired.
Old 11-18-15, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qeea6Xr6W2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-13-16, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/13/107...doctor-strange

Agent Carter is going to continue linking Marvel's TV world to its cinematic universe by bringing parts of Doctor Strange to the show's second season.

Showrunners Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas told Comic Book Resources that the concept of "Darkforce" will be used as a narrative arc in the second season to tie the series into both Doctor Strange and Agents of SHIELD.

In the comics, the "Darkforce" is an unidentifiable entity that played a part in the creation of various superheroes and villains.

Essentially, Carter will travel to Los Angeles to investigate a company called Isodyne Energy and the weapons of mass destruction it's working on. Through her investigation, she stumbles upon the "Darkforce" and spends quite some time trying to figure out what the mysterious extra-dimensional energy is.

"That's our tie-in to the Doctor Strange universe, and also to SHIELD because you've seen it in SHIELD as well," Fazekas told the website.

In the first season of Agents of SHIELD, the energy force was used to power one of the show's more memorable villains, Blackout. Although, Fazekas was quick to point out that because the "Darkforce" affects every character differently, the way it presents itself in Agent Carter will be much different than how people first saw it work in Agents of SHIELD.

"The cool thing about what we learned as we researched Darkforce over the course of Marvel comic book history is, it affects people in different ways," Fazekas said. "We were able to select what we liked and sort of make our own rules as to what it does, how it operates, and who it affects in our world."

Neither Fazekas nor Butters alluded to whether characters from the upcoming Doctor Strange would find themselves in the show's second season, but it seems pretty unlikely.

The two-hour premiere for Agent Carter's second season happens Jan. 19 at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.