Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sons of Liberty- History Channel Mini-Series-1/25/15

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Sons of Liberty- History Channel Mini-Series-1/25/15

Looks interesting. Tried a search for a thread but found nothing.

http://www.history.com/shows/sons-of-liberty/videos
Old 01-23-15, 12:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Sons of Liberty- History Channel Mini-Series-1/25/15

Here's a summary taken from the site above. Decent casting.

SONS OF LIBERTY, the three-night, six-hour event, follows a defiant and radical group of young men–Sam Adams, John Adams, Paul Revere, John Hancock and Dr. Joseph Warren–as they band together in secrecy to change the course of history and make America a nation.

The Sons of Liberty sparked a revolution, the cast depicting them includes: Ben Barnes (The Chronicles of Narnia) as Sam Adams, a natural born leader with charisma and a penchant for mischief; Ryan Eggold (The Black List) as Dr. Joseph Warren, a doctor and man of conscience and integrity; Michael Raymond-James (Jack Reacher, Terriers, True Blood) as Paul Revere, a veteran who wholeheartedly joins forces with Sam Adams; Rafe Spall (Prometheus, Life of Pi) as John Hancock, the wealthiest man in Boston at the time; and Henry Thomas (E.T. The Extraterrestrial, Gangs of New York, Legends of the Fall) as John Adams, a lawyer and the conservative, smart cousin of Sam Adams. Additionally, Marton Csokas (Equalizer, The Lord of the Rings, Rogue) plays the ferocious General Thomas Gage who is sent to handle the colonial unrest in Boston; Emily Berrington (24: Live Another Day) as Margaret Gage; Jason O’Mara (The Good Wife, Terra Nova, Life on Mars) as General George Washington and Dean Norris (Breaking Bad, Under the Dome, Men, Women & Children) as the brilliant yet mischievous diplomat Benjamin Franklin.

Calling themselves the Sons of Liberty, they light the spark that ignited our revolution. While many of their names have become legendary, this group of young rebels didn’t start off as noble patriots. They were a new generation of young American men from varied backgrounds, struggling to find purpose in their lives. They were looking for equality, but they found something greater: Independence.

SONS OF LIBERTY is a dramatic interpretation of events that sparked a revolution. It is historical fiction, not a documentary. The goal of our miniseries is to capture the spirit of the time, convey the personalities of the main characters, and focus on real events that have shaped our past. For historical information about the Sons of Liberty and the dawning of the American Revolution, please read the Historian’s View section on history.com/sons.
Old 01-25-15, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Here's the trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IfMW2icxVlo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It airs Sunday through Tuesday at 9pm ET and is 2 hours per part. Looks good based on the footage. I set the DVR to record all 3 parts, but I'm not sure if I will be able to watch them right away. There is so much on this week. I don't forsee this being must see TV for many here. Historical period dramas like this just aren't big draws here, especially the Revolutionary War, which this miniseries appears to be covering. Look at Turn: Washington's Spies on AMC. Nobody here watched it last Spring.
Old 01-25-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If it's like typical History fare it'll be 50% commercials so you're better off DVRing it to watch later anyway.
Old 01-25-15, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mugwump
If it's like typical History fare it'll be 50% commercials so you're better off DVRing it to watch later anyway.
I'll take that as long as it is as good as some of the recent History Channel shows.
Old 01-25-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't forsee this being must see TV for many here. Historical period dramas like this just aren't big draws here, especially the Revolutionary War, which this miniseries appears to be covering. Look at Turn: Washington's Spies on AMC. Nobody here watched it last Spring.
I was talking about this with someone not long ago. I find it disappointing that Revolutionary War period presentations are so much less popular than other periods. Is it merely because they didn't use automatic weapons and copious quantities of high explosives?

Full disclaimer: I didn't care for Turn and quit after the first episode, but that's because of reasons unrelated to it being a Revolutionary War period piece.
Old 01-25-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I think it's more about the grounded action of historical period shows that hurt them in the ratings. Kids today are so used to see bodies flying everywhere with big hardware in battles. You can't credibly pull that off in the Revolutionary or Civil War periods.
Old 01-25-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I was talking about this with someone not long ago. I find it disappointing that Revolutionary War period presentations are so much less popular than other periods. Is it merely because they didn't use automatic weapons and copious quantities of high explosives?

Full disclaimer: I didn't care for Turn and quit after the first episode, but that's because of reasons unrelated to it being a Revolutionary War period piece.
Turn got much better as the season went on, IMO. Give it another shot.

The Revolutionary War period is my favorite historical era in American history behind the Civil War. Having been to Boston and seen a lot of the places that I had read about growing up may have had a larger impact on me, but I can't wait for this tonight. I hope it's good.
Old 01-25-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as i am a fan of Reign and hot Nostradamus, i will tune into this for sexy sam adams, the lusty silversmith paul revere, and a more attractive john adams than paul giamatti.

if i recall doesn't Turn have/will have the hottest Canadian export since crown royal, Ksenia Solo?
Old 01-26-15, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gave it a chance but turned it off after 10 minutes. Was already skeptical due to the pretty-boy, WB-type casting, but the extended Sam Adams being chased through taverns, streets, alleys, amorously-occupied bedrooms, and across rooftops...looking more like Zorro (kicking lobsterbacks down stairs, etc.)...along with the slow-mo & CGI-Spartacus-style blood...had me reaching for the remote.

And then they began with the "ripped from today's cable profanity" dialogue, and the reaching became a scramble.

I think I'll just get my further RW enlightenment from Hob Tub Time Machine 2, which appears to be more accurate if the trailers are an indication. Or dig out my old Tomahawk & his Rip-Roarin' Rangers DC comics.

We actually enjoyed Turn, but this was more like an Arrow or Smallville actioner. Maybe it got better...if someone who made it through part 1 gives it a glowing review, I might try it again with the free On Demand service. I have similar problems with the dialogue in Black Sails...it just totally takes me out of the era being portrayed & into Mel Brooks territory.

Maybe this should have aired on the "Alternate History" channel.

Last edited by creekdipper; 01-26-15 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-26-15, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it wasn't the worst thing i have spent time watching.

i liked lascivious ben Franklin and rub a dub dub come hop in my tub.

i will say this, i would take great pleasure in inspiring abigail adams to shout "the redheads are coming". to heck with paul revere's ride.

john hancock = a gay john ritter.

i will stick with the next two episodes.
Old 01-26-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

It's obvious this version is trying to be "hip and cool." I'm enjoying it for what it is.
Old 01-30-15, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
It's obvious this version is trying to be "hip and cool." I'm enjoying it for what it is.
Yeah, Sam Adams was in his mid 50s when he signed the Declaration of Independence. He was not heading to a J.Crew shoot afterwards.
Old 01-31-15, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Yeah, Sam Adams was in his mid 50s when he signed the Declaration of Independence. He was not heading to a J.Crew shoot afterwards.
Old 01-31-15, 09:27 AM
Banned

I was looking over the On Demand offerings that come with our cable sub & decided to follow the good Dr.'s advice given above & just enjoy it for what it is, so I recorded all 3 episodes on one disc to watch later. Hey, I enjoyed Daniel Boone episodes where he was doing stuff like helping Ben Frankin steal the Liberty Bell (as well as the "hip" shows such as The Young Rebels, which is along the lines of SOL), so why not just dump the history books & follow the flow?

If they'd throw in a few zombies, vampires, or werewolves along with an axe-twirling future POTUS, I'd really be cool with it. Maybe add a hip-hop soundtrack, too.

Of course, I can keep my that they'll go full Harry Turtledove mode & have some aliens drop in the plans for a primitive AK-47.
Old 01-31-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've yet to watch it, but the visual I have now is hilarious.
Old 01-31-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I gave up after one hour. I thought the castings were mostly uninspired while the writing was dull and slow.
Old 01-31-15, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just plain terrible. Whoever was responsible for this miniseries should hung from the Liberty Tree. It's pretty damn insulting to history.

Watch HBO's John Adams instead.
Old 01-31-15, 05:57 PM
Banned

Maybe for the DVD release they'll do one of those "Unrated" deals in which they digitally insert gratuitous nudity parading across the screen every thirty minutes.
Old 02-02-15, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched it. I made the mistake of not extending DVR and missed the end of all episodes. Also, for some reason they scheduled them as only one hour episodes the first airing, so the first episode I missed the second hour.
Old 04-04-15, 07:13 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

finally getting around to cleaning out the DVR, and watching this. It's not bad, but it's not good either. Oh, and whomever is playing John Hancock sure is doing a wonderful Tom Hulce Amadeus impression.