Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Backstrom (FOX) -- S: Rainn Wilson, Dennis Haysbert -- Season 1 Thread -- 1/22/15

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Backstrom (FOX) -- S: Rainn Wilson, Dennis Haysbert -- Season 1 Thread -- 1/22/15

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

RAINN WILSON STARS AS DETECTIVE EVERETT BACKSTROM ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "BACKSTROM" THURSDAY, JANUARY 22, ON FOX

From the Creator/Executive Producer of BONES

Emmy Award nominee Rainn Willson stars as EVERETT BACKSTROM, an unhealthy, offensive, irascible - albeit brilliant - detective who sees the worst in everyone, and he's usually right. After a five-year banishment to the traffic division for offensive behavior, he has returned from disgrace to lead Portland's newly minted Special Crimes Unit (S.C.U.). Tasked with navigating the city's most sensitive and serious cases, he must solve each crime as he tries, and fails, to change his own self-destructive behavior. In the series premiere, the S.C.U. investigates the death of a college student. Initially deemed a suicide, the team discovers the boy's death was in fact a drug-fueled homicide. With Backstrom's unorthodox investigative techniques, the team must utilize all of their individual skills and work together to catch the killer. Meanwhile, Backstrom's doctor DEB CHAMAN (guest star Rizwan Manji) threatens to fail him on his physical if he doesn't start making healthy choices, and prescribes him to make one new friend in the all-new "Dragon Slayer" Series Premiere episode of BACKSTROM airing Thursday, Jan. 22 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (BAC-101) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Cast: Rainn Wilson as Det. Lt. Everett Backstrom; Genevieve Angelson as Det. Nicole Gravely; Dennis Haysbert as Det. Sgt. John Almond; Kristoffer Polaha as Sgt. Peter Niedermayer; Page Kennedy as Officer Frank Moto; Beatrice Rosen as Nadia Paquet; Thomas Dekker as Gregory Valentine.

Guest Cast: Inga Cadranel as Chief Anna Cervantes; Rizwan Manji as Dr. Deb Chaman; Evan Jones as Gene Visser; Tiffany Hines as Cassandra; Jarod Joseph as Charles Turner; Keenan Tracey as Toby Percival; Kyle Secor as Senator Tobias Percival; Gerard Plunkett as Leyland Eaton; Samantha Ferris as Rebecca Forrester.

13 episode order

This is from Hart Hanson, the creator and showrunner of Bones. He left Bones to work on this series. This is essentially a comedy-detective procedural for those curious.

Also worth mentioning, Backstrom was originally produced for CBS 2-3 years ago, but they passed on it and then FOX picked it up.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BgPUO2XlcA8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-22-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Re: Backstrom (FOX) -- S: Rainn Wilson, Dennis Haysbert -- Season 1 Thread -- 1/22/15

This looks horrible. Looks like a redux of House and Rake (which FOX butchered), but with a detective.
Old 01-22-15, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Backstrom (FOX) -- S: Rainn Wilson, Dennis Haysbert -- Season 1 Thread -- 1/22/15

I am interested in seeing this.
Old 01-22-15, 05:37 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I like the cast, but I'm not excited about the premise. Early reviews have been decidedly mixed. I'll probably pass.
Old 01-22-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Semi-serious question : I wonder if you were a moderately famous TV actor like Rainn Willson and you were presented with a script for a new show that was kind of shitty but you're given the lead part if you want it, would you go ahead and take it since it's really good money and steady income or would you pass and wait for something you thought was better? I'd probably go with the crap, especially if it's a procedural because those are insanely popular with the mouth-breathing public and steady income is nothing to sneeze at. I'm sure Mark Harmon is making a fortune on NCIS since it's apparently the #1 TV show even though I've never heard a single person ever talk about it. I say roll the dice; Emmys are over-rated.
Old 01-22-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

This first ep is a struggle to get through.
Old 01-23-15, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Semi-serious question : I wonder if you were a moderately famous TV actor like Rainn Willson and you were presented with a script for a new show that was kind of shitty but you're given the lead part if you want it, would you go ahead and take it since it's really good money and steady income or would you pass and wait for something you thought was better? I'd probably go with the crap, especially if it's a procedural because those are insanely popular with the mouth-breathing public and steady income is nothing to sneeze at. I'm sure Mark Harmon is making a fortune on NCIS since it's apparently the #1 TV show even though I've never heard a single person ever talk about it. I say roll the dice; Emmys are over-rated.
Television is such a crapshoot, most veteran actors go with proven producers more than anything else. I don't think Wilson is in a position to pick and choose his projects. The nature of television is that you keep filming pilots until eventually a projects hits it big and becomes a smash.
Old 01-23-15, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was expecting a kind of House, NYPD (or Portland PD in this case) but it wasn't quite that. Backstrom is acerbic without House's wit. The supporting cast seems overly eccentric, as only bad TV can do.
Old 01-23-15, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The nature of television is that you keep filming pilots until eventually a projects hits it big and becomes a smash.
well sure.. one has to be a vampire PI and a doctor before they get to play super-McGarrett on Hawaii Five-o..

as for this show.. I thought it was ok.. Seems like one of those shows that tries a little too hard in the pilot and maybe will hit it's stride in later eps.. I will say they did go and pick up a whole lot of "oh that guy.. from that other show" sort of tv actors.. The whole cast seem to click well in their given roles..

but of course as always with an new fox show I tend to think the network will cancel almost anything..
Old 01-23-15, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

That was bad. The gimmick is that he says cruel things to the girlfriend of the murder victim, and he's always right? That's not edgy, that's crass.
Old 01-23-15, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I now have yet another reason to not like Rainn Wilson. I've never liked him in anything, and I can't see this show lasting long at all.

It doesn't help that every time I hear Haysbert's voice I think it's an insurance commercial.
Old 01-23-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

This was a dud. I liked Rainn Wilson in "The Rocker" and The Office, so I might give it one more look next week. Sometimes the pilot episode is awkward with all the exposition of back stories.
Old 01-23-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
It doesn't help that every time I hear Haysbert's voice I think it's an insurance commercial.
Funny, I think both President Palmer and Jonas. Loved that guy on both 24 and The Unit, but this was a little rough. I guess I'll give it 1 or 2 more, but if it's pretty close to the same I'm out.
Old 01-23-15, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

trying too hard to be the anti-hero.
I will give it a few more episodes ... maybe they will tone it down.
Old 01-23-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Wilson, but this was really, really bad. I had a hard time getting through it. I'm going to keep watching, but it better get better soon.
Old 01-23-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

This is the first time I have seen Rain Wilson in any project since the Office finale.

Did he have some personal issues or was busy taking care of his family?
Old 01-23-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Unpleasant show. Turned it off halfway through.
Old 01-23-15, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was actually looking forward to this but it was awful. I turned it off halfway through. I deleted the season recording schedule.
Old 01-24-15, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Unpleasant show. Turned it off halfway through.
Same here, I don't know what they were going for but yowsers they missed the mark.
Old 01-24-15, 07:30 AM

I was irritated at myself for forgetting to set my DVR for this. Thanks for making me feel better guys.
Old 01-24-15, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a Wilson fan, but I figured that I would give it a try, but bailed after probably 10 or 15 minutes. Definitely not for me.
Old 01-24-15, 05:12 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelWill
I was irritated at myself for forgetting to set my DVR for this. Thanks for making me feel better guys.
The first episode is free on Amazon Video if you're still interested.

I was intrigued by the trailer, but think I'll pass now.
Old 01-25-15, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I watched the 1st episode tonight.

I didn't think it was horrible, but I can see why a few of you hated it. Backstrom is very unlikeable and kind of a dick. And it was a really depressing atmosphere with the gloomy weather and rain. And then Backstrom has all kinds of health issues as well. I did like Dennis Haysbert and Backstrom's partner is kind of cute.

I watched House for 8 seasons and I got used to a dick anti-hero like Backstrom.

Wasn't too hard to figure out that the stripper was behind it all.
Old 01-25-15, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I watched the 1st episode tonight.

I didn't think it was horrible, but I can see why a few of you hated it. Backstrom is very unlikeable and kind of a dick. And it was a really depressing atmosphere with the gloomy weather and rain. And then Backstrom has all kinds of health issues as well. I did like Dennis Haysbert and Backstrom's partner is kind of cute.

I watched House for 8 seasons and I got used to a dick anti-hero like Backstrom.

Wasn't too hard to figure out that the stripper was behind it all.
I was a big House fan and I have no problem with dick main characters. This was awful for a whole lot of other reasons.
Old 01-25-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Wilson and wanted to like this but like others thought it seems like House without the charm of Laurie. Someone else mentioned but pilots can be tricky. I have 9 or 10 friends that are "Bones" fanatics and every one of them hated the Pilot. If i remember when i got on here after the pilot of Big Bang Theory aired 90% of the posts responded to it negatively, same thing with How I met your mother. Not saying any of those are masterpieces but they all got better and gained a pretty big audience so maybe there is hope with this or it gets pulled after 6 episodes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.