Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix) - Season 1 Thread - S: Kemper, Creator: Tina Fey

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix) - Season 1 Thread - S: Kemper, Creator: Tina Fey

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix) S: Kemper, Burgess (created by Tina Fey)

Originally Posted by windom
People take things too seriously, for my money, that subplot simply doesn't work and strikes an odd note. I can't really see it being offensive though, just a misfire of a subplot.
Old 03-11-15, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix) S: Kemper, Burgess (created by Tina Fey)

I love the show and I only have the 13th episode left to see at this point.

The Jacqueline backstory is really not all that funny anyway, I agree, but the native-american actors don't seem to have a problem with the scene, and Krakowski just looks like she went with less makeup to play the character as a younger woman. Honestly, I thought very little of it, maybe because I'm mainly interested in Kimmy and her stuff.
Old 03-11-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finished the season off today and thought it was great overall.

The only thing I didn't care for was the character of Randy. He's like a less funny version of Kenneth from 30 Rock, and Kenneth was always hit and miss for me.
Old 03-11-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Randy wasn't as endearing as Ken. He was just stupid.
Old 03-12-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I enjoyed the show overall, the last third of the season really dipped in laughs for me. The last two episodes with the trial were terrible. I would check out a second season, but it needs to get back to what worked early in the first season.
Old 03-13-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Burgess embarrassing himself on live news was great.
Old 03-14-15, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the series but hated Randy & the lawyers at the end - just too stupid. They were like Randy from My Name Is Earl, who killed that show for me anytime he was on screen.

As I mentioned previously, I had my doubts about Titus but he ended up being a great character. Note to Modern Family - this is how you do a "stereotypical" gay character and not make him insufferable.
Old 03-14-15, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't like it for the first few episodes but stuck with it as it definitely got better. Loved the lawyers and the audition fail.
Old 03-14-15, 11:16 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

same cadence and feel of 30 Rock, but just not quite as good. The gay black friend annoys me to no end. Everything else is pretty good, and Kemper is sexy as hell. I'd give it a B-, with flashes of A+ here and there.
Old 03-14-15, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Started binge watching this yesterday. Didn't take too long to get through it since each episode is only about 22-23 minutes long.

I agree with pretty much everything said here. Love Ellie, loved the start of the series, but it has started to wane a little on laughs toward the end. However, there are little gems here and there. I liked Carol Kane's line when Titus mistook her for Satan, and in correcting him she said "That smell of sulfur is just my hard-boiled egg cleanse."
Old 03-14-15, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryW
Didn't like it for the first few episodes but stuck with it as it definitely got better.
Did it? Because I gave it three episodes, and I could not get into it, if anything, I got less into it as it went on. I loved 30 Rock, but while this has some funny parts, it feels really forced to me. If it does get better I'll watch more, but I don't see how it could get any better.

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I agree with pretty much everything said here. Love Ellie, loved the start of the series, but it has started to wane a little on laughs toward the end.
See, if that's the case, I'm not going back since I don't think it even started out all that funny.
Old 03-15-15, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Did it? Because I gave it three episodes, and I could not get into it, if anything, I got less into it as it went on. I loved 30 Rock, but while this has some funny parts, it feels really forced to me. If it does get better I'll watch more, but I don't see how it could get any better.
I'd say if you gave it three episodes and didn't like it, you probably won't like the rest.
I thought the episodes were pretty consistent until the last few episodes, mainly because the court scenes weren't that great and there was more of Randy who is weak.
Old 03-15-15, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know, I thought episodes 5 - 11 were great, 12 and 13 had some strong parts but got a little too stupid.

I would just let the episodes run in the background and see what you think, there are some really funny episodes between 5 and 11. The plot centric episodes are a bit hit or miss (the first few and the last couple).
Old 03-15-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm with you. I'm 3 episodes in and not all that into it. I don't find Ellie Kemper's schtick to be as charming as others do.

I'll probably keep watching though. It's good enough for a lazy Sunday.
Old 03-16-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nth Power
I'd say if you gave it three episodes and didn't like it, you probably won't like the rest.
I thought the episodes were pretty consistent until the last few episodes, mainly because the court scenes weren't that great and there was more of Randy who is weak.
Randy is the only unfunny part of the show.
Old 03-16-15, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't get to Randy, but Titus was really fucking annoying - he was the main reason I stopped watching.
Old 03-18-15, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I finished the season yesterday. I didn't like certain things in the last couple of episodes. I liked the certain parodies that were used in the trial. The Lillian and Jacqueline scenes were funny. I agree with a few other posters on Randy. I didn't care for him or the subplot of Kimmy's unseen mother marrying an idiot cop and having a child named Kymmi.
Old 03-24-15, 09:11 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Wife and I have been watching this show on and off for the last couple of weeks. Not exactly the funniest show out there, but has just enough to keep us interested for some reason that I cant explain.

I do have a couple of questions though....for some reason on random episodes subtitles appear for some of the foreign language at random parts of the episode but not others. I also noticed that after the main end credits have finished then other credits for different shows appear for Germany and Spain at least.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 03-24-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I wish NBC picked this up

Miss the Thurs night comedy block
Old 03-24-15, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I wish NBC picked this up

Miss the Thurs night comedy block
NBC purposely annihilated the Thursday night comedy block. So if they did grab this it'd probably be on Wednesdays. Silly shit.
Old 03-24-15, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I'm still watching this. I like this show. It's got some funny stuff.

Taht said...Tina Fey's comedy is interesting because some of it is just silly and over the top even though she is considered to be an intelligent writer. It was like that on 30 Rock and it's like that here. That's not a bad thing...But I feel like Amy Poehler's humor is funnier and less cartoonish.
Old 03-24-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
... Amy Poehler's humor is funnier and less cartoonish.
How do you compare the two? The humor/writing of P&R isn't necessarily that of Poehler, as she only wrote 5 or 6 episodes and wasn't the show-runner, whereas Fey wrote many 30R eps and was the show runner.
Old 03-24-15, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a valid point, it's like pointing to Broad City and saying that's Amy Poehler since she's Exec Producer on it.

But even on SNL, Tina Fey tended to go for more outlandish jokes than Poehler. But I find both of them pretty funny.
Old 03-24-15, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Ok, maybe you're right. It's not a fair comparison. However, CLEARLY Fey's humors is at least cartoonish and silly based on this:

Fey wrote many 30R eps and was the show runner.
Old 04-03-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've watched nine episodes and like it a lot. Funny some people think it got better after a few episodes and others think it got worse. I'm in the second camp. I laughed out loud a lot the first few episodes but less as it's gone on. But I think it may just be because they're doing the same jokes and I've already seen them. Still in for season two for sure.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.