63.40%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Cheers or Seinfeld?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 04:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
Cheers or Seinfeld?

so i regard these as my most favorite comedies of all time. while Seinfeld has so much rewatchability, Cheers had so much depth and heart from time to time. i loved it so much.

so if you grew up on these 2 like i did which do you regard as the more preferable show?
Old 01-03-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Cheers or Seinfeld?

Cheers was great for its time but Seinfeld had far smarter writing to its comedy. Cheers does have the better theme song.
Old 01-03-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v2TSqcQxvM8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-03-15, 04:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I find Cheers completely unwatchable now. I have to file it under shows that looking back, I can't believe I ever watched and enjoyed.
Seinfeld still holds up well I feel and I can still watch most but not all of the eps.
Old 01-03-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm always up for Cheers. Just a simple story about a boy & a girl.

I absolutely LOVE Seinfeld, but Cheers edges it out for me. Seinfeld did have better stories and concepts, pushed the envelope and tying an episode together at the end was pure genius, but joke for joke it just can't compare to Cheers. I mean watch an episode of Cheers with this in mind; it was setup...punchline...setup... punchline...setup, setup...punchline...punchline, etc. The sheer volume of jokes just puts any modern show to shame. It's simply amazing how the Burrows' pulled that off. Not to mention it's one of the last shows to not rely on pop culture for it's humor.

Just running down the casts, Sam Malone is far more likable than Jerry. Both alpha males with a different female each week. Elaine easily edges out Rebecca and probably Diane but the chemistry between Danson and Long is unmistakable and unmatched on Seinfeld. For the slapstick characters, Coach had more depth in one episode (about his daughter getting married) than Kramer had in 9 years. Not sure who would be comparable to George, but rounding out the cast with Frasier, Woody, Norm & Cliff makes it seem pretty lopsided.

Either way both shows are my two favorites of all time. Can't go wrong with a marathon of either.
Old 01-03-15, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

You can like the show you like, but it is weird that you compare the characters likability and depth when Seinfeld purposefully avoided making the characters likable or giving them emotional depth.

I like Seinfeld more because the characters are way more realistic. Compared to Seinfeld, the Cheers crowd never eats or uses the bathroom or goes shopping.

And you can't figure out to compare Cliff to Newman?
Old 01-03-15, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Cheers all the way for me. Seinfeld has never brought more than a smile to my face (and that was pushing it) but I will laugh out loud during nearly any episode of Cheers.
Old 01-03-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Seinfeld and it's not even remotely close.
Old 01-03-15, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

This poll may be the toughest vote ever. It feels like being asked which of your 2 kids do you love the most?

I think I get more laughs out of Seinfeld. But Cheers has so much sentimental value. Both are shows I can watch at any time. I lean towards voting Seinfeld, but can't bring myself to vote for it at the moment, in case I change my mind as I think more about it.
Old 01-03-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
You can like the show you like, but it is weird that you compare the characters likability and depth when Seinfeld purposefully avoided making the characters likable or giving them emotional depth.
Right, it doesn't matter that it was intentional, it just makes it easier to go with Cheers for me. Cheers was exactly what the intro song was about, a place where everyone knows your name. Warm and welcoming... unless you were Gary.

I like Seinfeld more because the characters are way more realistic. Compared to Seinfeld, the Cheers crowd never eats or uses the bathroom or goes shopping.
Sarcasm? What is this, 24?

And you can't figure out to compare Cliff to Newman?
Forgot about Newman.

Like I said before, both great, just give the edge to Cheers.
Old 01-03-15, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have to travel a lot for work. I'd check into a hotel, tired and missing home and I would reach for the remote, flick through the channels and almost always find an episode of Cheers on and I felt warm, safe and less at alone. It would put me at ease and make me forget I wasn't with my family. No other show could do that.

I voted for Seinfeld.
Old 01-03-15, 11:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

When's the last time you heard somebody quote a Cheers episode in casual conversation?

Seinfeld, game set and match.
Old 01-04-15, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Cheers (and Frasier, for that matter), but Seinfeld wins by a mile. I pretty much watch the entire series at least once a year.
Old 01-04-15, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Loved both, don't need to run one down to enjoy the other.
Old 01-04-15, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
When's the last time you heard somebody quote a Cheers episode in casual conversation?

Probably more than Cheers, yes, but I don't really hear either much anymore.

Old Simpsons quotes still seem to be going strong, however.
Old 01-04-15, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Well, the jerk store called, and they're running out of you.
Old 01-04-15, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan
Loved both, don't need to run one down to enjoy the other.
What he said.
Old 01-04-15, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Tough choice as I love both but Seinfeld for me. It's overall a more memorable show to me. Cheers had a lot of great heartfelt moments to it and was obviously a more traditional sitcom. Nothing wrong with that at all though.
Old 01-04-15, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by pbrstreetgang
I find Cheers completely unwatchable now. I have to file it under shows that looking back, I can't believe I ever watched and enjoyed.
Seinfeld still holds up well I feel and I can still watch most but not all of the eps.
Mostly agree with this, though I would be a little kinder to Cheers. As far as holding up over time, my kids are wearing out the Seinfeld DVD season sets. They will sit and watch hours of it in a row sometimes. The show is older than them and they love it.
Old 01-04-15, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No contest, Seinfeld. I could never really get into Cheers, I didn't find it especially funny, and it was a little before my time so I never watched it when it originally aired. As mentioned before, there are just so many situations where I quote Seinfeld or am like "This reminds me of what happened in that one episode...", but at least Cheers gave us Fraiser, so i'll give it that.
Old 01-04-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Seinfeld...most ep. don't feel dated.
Old 01-04-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Seinfeld and it's not even remotely close.
Pretty much this.
Old 01-04-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Cheers for me. Seinfeld wasn't as funny its last couple of seasons. Not only did Cheers remain funny, it got better as it went. The last season is one of the best. Cheers also ran longer...Seinfeld was out of gas when it ended.
Old 01-08-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not even close for me. Seinfeld.

In fact, my 2nd favorite comedy of all time is Frasier. I am astounded how many situations in which Frasier could've taken the low road in comedy, but almost always remained sophisticated and smart. Cheers on the other hand, often took the the low road, and while I like it a lot, doesn't compare to the other 2.
Old 01-08-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
This poll may be the toughest vote ever. It feels like being asked which of your 2 kids do you love the most?

I think I get more laughs out of Seinfeld. But Cheers has so much sentimental value. Both are shows I can watch at any time. I lean towards voting Seinfeld, but can't bring myself to vote for it at the moment, in case I change my mind as I think more about it.
Originally Posted by Mike86
Tough choice as I love both but Seinfeld for me. It's overall a more memorable show to me. Cheers had a lot of great heartfelt moments to it and was obviously a more traditional sitcom. Nothing wrong with that at all though.
This is pretty much how I feel. Intellectually I'd say Seinfeld, but Cheers has a lot of sentimental value, and Seinfeld went out on such a stinker.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.