Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race (S25E12) -- Season Finale -- "All Or Nothing" -- 12/19/14

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race (S25E12) -- Season Finale -- "All Or Nothing" -- 12/19/14

I actually picked the scientists as "my" team in the first episode, but only because I reflexively support brains over brawn every time. I never thought they'd actually pull it off... but they had a good final day, and they earned it. Plus, Maya was probably my favorite contestant this season, even if she was paired with some kind of hunchback tree sloth.
Old 12-21-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happy the scientists won (but would have been equally as happy for the surfers). Glad the dentists didn't win. Jim's shitty comment about hurting Amy's already injured leg was creepy. Misty seems like a nice person, though. The wrestlers: Robbie seems pretty cool but Brooke is an asshole.
Old 12-21-14, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw...Merry Christmas, Sky!
Old 12-22-14, 11:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I'm wondering if there was a production screwup somewhere (like they did something that accidentally gave one team an unfair advantage) which forced the producers to keep all the teams in for the sake of fairness.
Old 12-22-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm wondering if there was a production screwup somewhere (like they did something that accidentally gave one team an unfair advantage) which forced the producers to keep all the teams in for the sake of fairness.
Like having surfing or biking challenges when some of the teams are professional surfers or bikers?
Old 12-22-14, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
It's possible, but I didn't get that feeling. I think, after 25 seasons, they're desperate for more things they can do for the first time, like having 4 teams in the finale.

Much like this season on Survivor with the first challenge done with no hands, or the first time a challenge wasn't completed and the players chose the winner.
Old 12-22-14, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Most undeserving winners in quite a while.
Yep. Ran the whole race hoping one team would screw up worse than them each leg until they finally ran out of teams to do that for them - but conveniently suffered zero penalty for coming in last. Then finally excel in one challenge, which happens to be for the million. Without bunch ups they might have finished three days behind the eventual winners.
Old 12-22-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Most undeserving winners in quite a while.
I don't know about that. I seem to remember the two gay guys from a couple seasons ago as an incredibly weak team.
Old 12-22-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyes8604
or the first time a challenge wasn't completed and the players chose the winner.
But that wasn't planned, it was something Probst did spontaneously.
Old 12-22-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Yep. Ran the whole race hoping one team would screw up worse than them each leg until they finally ran out of teams to do that for them - but conveniently suffered zero penalty for coming in last. Then finally excel in one challenge, which happens to be for the million. Without bunch ups they might have finished three days behind the eventual winners.
I don't necessairly disagree with you, but TAR has always been a game of simply don't come in last. Unless a team is in it for the first place prizes, there is really nothing good that comes from astrategy that focuses on coming in first. No matter how far you are behind the first place team, you know there will be a bunch up equalizer to even the odds in the next leg.

Teams that run the race trying to come in first, essentially taking big risks to do so, often end up eliminated.

My problem with the show is how often they subject the teams to things they have no control over including taxis. Show would be far better if they just elminatated them from the game. Make people drive everywhere or take other forms of public transportation.
Old 12-22-14, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Make people drive everywhere or take other forms of public transportation.
I vote for mules.
Old 12-22-14, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
But that wasn't planned, it was something Probst did spontaneously.
I'm sure the gears were turning in his head, something new that hasn't been done before.

I don't necessairly disagree with you, but TAR has always been a game of simply don't come in last.
Agreed.

I have no problem with the scientists winning. It's about getting to the end and having a chance, and they did that. It's like a 7-8 seed winning an NBA title or a Wild Card team winning the Super Bowl. Just get in and anything can happen.

My problem with the show is how often they subject the teams to things they have no control over including taxis. Show would be far better if they just elminatated them from the game. Make people drive everywhere or take other forms of public transportation.
That's fair, but I think in some countries traffic and the roads are so hectic it would end up creating more problems having the teams drive themselves around. Much bigger potential for accidents. More public transportation would be a good idea where it is available.
Old 12-23-14, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

My only problem with the scientists was they got no penalty for Amy crashing into that van in the Philippines. And the wrestlers have no one to blame but themselves for failing to drive to their City Hall clue. Can't put that on a taxi fuck up this leg.
Old 12-23-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no problem with the scientists winning. It's about getting to the end and having a chance, and they did that. It's like a 7-8 seed winning an NBA title or a Wild Card team winning the Super Bowl. Just get in and anything can happen.
The other element that has almost always been true is if you can make it to the end, you can count on there being a big challenge at the end that is much mental as physical. This lat season was a return to that, and that's how the scientists won. And unless it was all editing, they still didn't win by much.

That's fair, but I think in some countries traffic and the roads are so hectic it would end up creating more problems having the teams drive themselves around. Much bigger potential for accidents. More public transportation would be a good idea where it is available.
Almost every country, including places and times in U.S. fits the defintion of having ugly traffic and hectic/confusing routes.

The bad taxi element has to go IMO, not matter how it is done. I would even be good with setting them up with drivers (one for every team) that were confirmed as knowing where they were going. They do this often, but usually it's restricted to boats and small airplanes.
Old 12-23-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm sure the gears were turning in his head, something new that hasn't been done before.

Agreed.

I always assumed there are countries with local rules regarding who can drive and cannot drive with a valid license/ foreign license etc. Getting a bad taxi drive or breaking down has always been part of the game. It is up to the racers to navigate with the drivers with a map or stop and ask for directions.
Old 12-23-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't get why, as soon as they hop in a taxi, racers will say 'Please hurry, this is for a million dollars!' Why would the cabbie care? Is he getting a cut? Why should he risk an accident/ticket to help some Americans get even richer?

D
Old 12-23-14, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Derrich
I don't get why, as soon as they hop in a taxi, racers will say 'Please hurry, this is for a million dollars!' Why would the cabbie care? Is he getting a cut? Why should he risk an accident/ticket to help some Americans get even richer?
Bigger tip? (Assuming the racers are not screwing the drivers out of tips)
Old 12-23-14, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by creekdipper
btw...Merry Christmas, Sky!
You too, Creek!
Old 12-24-14, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bralph
I don't know about that. I seem to remember the two gay guys from a couple seasons ago as an incredibly weak team.
it was the goat farmers that won the whole thing a few seasons back.
Old 12-25-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

D

I always notice they have to be vague about it. In other words, they can't say: "we're on the Amazing Race!!!" (which is internationally well known)

Even when Bethany was talking to the firefighters, she had to be vague and say she has to hurry and go, but couldn't say they were on the Amazing Race. Of course, the firefighters probably figured that out already. It's pretty obvious. Just probably something they can't announce to people they interact with (taxi drivers, travel agents, etc).
Old 12-25-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

D
I just saw a cabbie in one of the early seasons tell someone he didn't give a shit because he wasn't getting any of that money. Though it wasn't them telling him to hurry. It was them trying to hop to the front of the line for taxi's outside an airport and him having none of it.
Old 03-14-19, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

‘Amazing Race’ Contestant Jim Raman Dies at 42
By JORDAN MOREAU

Jim Raman, an orthodontist who competed on the 25th season of “The Amazing Race,” died on Tuesday morning in South Carolina, according to the TV station WIS TV. He was 42.

Raman participated on the CBS reality competition show with his wife, Misti, in 2014. The duo, nicknamed the Married Dentists, finished in second place. Throughout the course of the season, they finished in first place for five of the 12 legs of the globe-trotting race against other pairs.

After the show, the couple returned to their home in Irmo, S.C., and continued working at their dental office, Irmo Smiles.

“Irmo Smiles has suffered a tragic loss this week. It is with deep sadness that we share the news of the passing for Dr. Jim Raman. As our staff and the family prepare for Dr. Raman’s celebration of life, please join us in praying for peace and comfort during this difficult time,” the company said in a statement on Thursday. “Your patience is greatly appreciated as we give Dr. Misti Raman time to grieve the loss of her loving husband.”

“Nothing suspicious or criminal is involved with the case and out of compassion and respect for family, my office will not comment on it,” Lexington County Coroner Margaret Fisher said in a statement obtained by WIS TV.
Old 03-15-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Oh wow. I remember them; they tore up the first 2/3 of the race. Any indication as to the cause?
Old 03-15-19, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.fitsnews.com/2019/03/14/...-as-a-suicide/

The death of popular Irmo, South Carolina dentist Jim Raman is being investigated as a suicide, multiple sources familiar with the ongoing law enforcement inquiry told this news outlet.

Specifically, detectives believe Raman shot himself in the garage of his Lexington County home sometime earlier this week.

It is not immediately clear what may have prompted the 42-year-old dentist to take his life.

Irmo Smiles, the dental practice Raman ran with his wife – Misti Raman – issued a statement this week in response to news of his passing.

Irmo Smiles has suffered a tragic loss this week. It is with deep sadness that we share the news of the passing of Dr. Jim Raman. As our staff and the family prepare for Dr. Raman’s celebration of life, please join us in praying for peace and comfort during this difficult time. We will be working to reschedule Dr. Misti Raman’s patients and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Your patience is greatly appreciated as we give Dr. Misti Raman time to grieve the loss of her loving husband.

The Ramans have two young children. They achieved a degree of national fame five years ago when they appeared together as contestants on the twenty-fifth season of CBS’ Amazing Race, finishing in second place.

Lexington County sheriff’s deputies and the office of Lexington County coroner Margaret Fisher have declined to provide details of the investigation into Jim Raman’s death – except to say nothing “suspicious or criminal” is associated with the case.

“Out of compassion and respect for family my office will not comment on it,” Fisher told local television station WIS-TV 10 (NBC – Columbia, S.C.).

No arrests have been made, and no suspects are being sought in connection with the incident.

Obviously stories like this are very difficult to cover. On the one hand people close to the situation are grieving and do not want to see details of their loss plastered all over the internet. On the other hand, the public does have a right to be informed as to the result of taxpayer-funded investigations.

Also, public officials need to be consistent in the information they provide. The same standards need to be applied to all cases.

It is a difficult line to walk, in other words.

This news outlet extends our prayers to Misti Raman, her children and all of the friends and family of Jim Raman. Also, we would encourage anyone who is considering taking their own life to call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline by clicking 1-800-273-TALK.
Old 03-17-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I remember these two, mostly because Jim reminded me of the alien bounty hunter on The X-Files.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.