Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Newsroom (S3E06) -- Series Finale -- "What Kind of Day Has It Been" -- 12/14/14

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Newsroom (S3E06) -- Series Finale -- "What Kind of Day Has It Been" -- 12/14/14

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: The Newsroom (S3E06) -- Series Finale -- "What Kind of Day Has It Been" -- 12/14/

A few more thoughts:

Speaking of Don and late night, we didn't even see that anchor the whole season, despite him being a part of their "family" and having some story lines last year. Also, Gary Cooper's only contribution this season was some crappy drumming on the side of his seat during the performance.

And of course we had to have the stale as fuck "all the girls figure out somebody's pregnant and start celebrating while the dude is clueless" scene.
Old 12-16-14, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Re: The Newsroom (S3E06) -- Series Finale -- "What Kind of Day Has It Been" -- 12/14/

Originally Posted by Fandango
What was the significance of the tie?
I was wondering that as well.
Old 12-16-14, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Also, Gary Cooper's only contribution this season was some crappy drumming on the side of his seat during the performance.
He also go to come in during the FBI raid unaware it was happening and singing a song
Old 12-16-14, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
I was wondering that as well.
It was a bowtie, part of his signature look; people on other sites were also likening it to Don Quixote's armor or some bullshit like that, which tied into that book which was in the flashback and mentioned in the previous episode.

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
He also go to come in during the FBI raid unaware it was happening and singing a song
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Huge downgrade from last year though.
Old 12-16-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Thanks. I knew it was one of his ties but Don and Sloane both seemed to act like that specific tie had meaning. Wasn't sure if there was a previous season call-back that I wasn't remembering.
Old 12-16-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh gotcha. I thought people thought 'tie' rather than bowtie, but yeah I think a lot of it was the Don Quixote thing.
Old 12-16-14, 12:06 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I thought it was the tie he was wearing when he died. Have to go back and look at the penultimate episode to confirm.
Old 12-16-14, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Yeah Neal's treatment was...weird. Almost like they forgot to include him in the finale and shoehorned him in at the last minute.
My guess is Dev filmed his scenes back during Episode 2, right before he left.
Old 12-16-14, 04:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

This was a really good episode and fitting finale, although I really do wish the show kept going.
Old 12-16-14, 10:00 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
we didn't even see that anchor the whole season, despite him being a part of their "family" and having some story lines last year.
He had that allergy that allowed Maggie to anchor on camera.
Old 12-17-14, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
In the end, it wound up being more about characters than the news, and the point that it takes character in order to bring proper news.
This is the one area where I actually was a bit let down. Early on, the show felt like it staked out ground telling us how the news should be. It also showed us why it often isn't. The "problem" is it provided no answers. That's fine, as far as it goes, because sometimes you can ask questions without providing answers. It is, however, a fine line between "asking questions" and kvetching. One of the characteristics of that line is providing enlightened suggestions.

We often can't get the news the way we should because of viewership and (ultimately) financial issues. Fine. But those things are realities. So what should we do about that? If we can't do anything about it, the impact of asking the questions is ultimately lessened. I'd like to eliminate hunger and homelessness, but we can't. So after awhile, any social commentary that starts with elimination (as opposed to mitigating) starts to wear thin for me.

I didn't watch Sports Night. I don't worship at the altar of Sorkin. But I did watch The West Wing, and that show often provided suggestions. In fact, it may have even provided answers. They may not have been answers everyone agreed with, but they were answers.

I'm aware that we got the feel-good of Leona's speech, and Pruitt coming around, but it's just feel-good without realistically addressing the issues. The truth is, viewership and money concerns overwhelmingly win out in the real world. The owners, after all, are in the business of making money.

That said, I'm still sorry to see the show (or at least the show it could have been) go for a multitude of reasons. There was some magic there.
Old 12-17-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dek
He had that allergy that allowed Maggie to anchor on camera.
Shiiiit. Yeah that's right. Damn they just dropped him after that.
Old 12-18-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great finale. Sad it's gone and this season was very strong. Way for Sorkin to go out with a bang.
Old 12-21-14, 02:02 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA

Originally Posted by Fandango
What was the significance of the tie?
I took it meaning as the passing of the torch. Don wouldn't do the story, which is what Charlie really wanted.
Old 12-28-14, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
Bastards!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I wonder what the other two movies were
Old 05-11-16, 09:47 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

He already answered what makes America the greatest country in the world. Here, Jeff Daniels reprises his role as ACN's "Will McAvoy" from HBO's "The Newsroom" to answer another question that sets him off. By Matt Negrin and Griffin Hammond.