Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrow (S3E09) -- Mid-Season Finale -- "The Climb" -- 12/10/14

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Arrow (S3E09) -- Mid-Season Finale -- "The Climb" -- 12/10/14

"The Climb" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, V) (HDTV)

RA'S AL GHUL GIVES OLIVER AN ULTIMATUM; DINAH LANCE PAYS LAUREL A VISIT - Nyssa (guest star Katrina Law) returns to Starling City and tells Oliver (Stephen Amell) that her father, Ra's al Ghul (guest star Matt Nable) has given Oliver 48 hours to find Sara's killer or the League of Assassins will start killing the citizens of Starling City. Laurel (Katie Cassidy) is stunned when her father (Paul Blackthorne) delivers a very special Christmas gift - her mother, Dinah (guest star Alex Kingston). Meanwhile, Ray (Brandon Routh) tries to make amends with Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) and Oliver sets a meeting with Ra's al Ghul. Thor Freudenthal directed the episode written by Jake Coburn & Keto Shimizu (#309). Original airdate 12/10/2014.

Episode 9 of 23

Returns January 21st
Old 12-10-14, 08:09 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Arrow (S3E09) -- Mid-Season Finale -- "The Climb" -- 12/10/14

Whaaaaaaaat?
Old 12-10-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how the show started with a mantra of "no powers" and now we're probably getting lazarus pits
Old 12-10-14, 09:13 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Texts from Amell's mom:

Old 12-10-14, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I never expected the fight to turn out like that, Oliver got his head handed to him by the Demon's Head. Which I liked a great deal, since in the comics Green Arrow was never considered a world-class hand-to-hand fighter like say Batman.

The reveal of Sarah's killer was interesting but somewhat of a cheat. When they had that scene with Ray Palmer, I thought he was going to suit up. I hope his suit has some kind of crossing circles FX when it shrinks.
Old 12-10-14, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts

Holy flurking schnit!

Pretty cool episode--loved the fight between Ollie and Ra's, even though Ollie got his ass handed to him.

I was all prepared to hate Thea, but then they make it not her fault.
Old 12-10-14, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I never expected the fight to turn out like that, Oliver got his head handed to him by the Demon's Head. Which I liked a great deal, since in the comics Green Arrow was never considered a world-class hand-to-hand fighter like say Batman.
Yup, even Black Canary would have taken him down easily in the comics.
Old 12-11-14, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, what the fuck? That was crazy. I dont know anything about the comics, so what happens now? He can't be dead right? I assume theres no hospital on the side of the mountain.
Old 12-11-14, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep he is dead. Series finale is sometime in January. It was a good 2 and 1/2 years.
Old 12-11-14, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

How old is Ras al Gul? He claims not to have been challenged for 67 years, which would make him about 85 at a minimum. He's looking real good for 85, too good to be naturally that old.
Old 12-11-14, 03:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shirtless fight is a straight rip-off of Batman and Ra's first fight in the comics.

Originally Posted by anomynous
I like how the show started with a mantra of "no powers" and now we're probably getting lazarus pits
I figured we would be getting Lazarus pits as soon as Malcolm came back mysteriously from the dead last season. Plus, the whole Mirakuru thing was pretty much superpowers.

Originally Posted by randian
How old is Ras al Gul? He claims not to have been challenged for 67 years, which would make him about 85 at a minimum. He's looking real good for 85, too good to be naturally that old.
He is 500 years old in the comics. Lazarus pits keep him from physically aging.
Old 12-11-14, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
The shirtless fight is a straight rip-off of Batman and Ra's first fight in the comics.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Batman 244.

Old 12-11-14, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice ending, and the actor playing Ras is really growing on me (although he needs more beard...)

That said, I thought the fight choreography on that last fight was pretty poor regarding Oliver. In the past, he's been shown to be a really good hand-to-hand combatant. In this fight, he was just kind of flailing around. There were numerous times where he left himself wide open to Ras.

Ras even said "you lasted longer than most", but the fight action didn't fit that statement.

I wasn't expecting a different outcome, just for the scene to look better... I guess you could say Ollie was tired after the climb, maybe that's what they're going with.

But damn, Thea. I hope she ends up just being a stone cold killer bitch and not mind-controlled as Merlyn said. Mind control sounds like a copout.

Also, who the hell just hangs out at their house in sequined pants and tight midriff-bearing shirts when they unpack boxes and decorate christmas trees at home? Not that I'm complaining.
Old 12-11-14, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

crazy ending. obviously he's not dead. that fight between him and ra's was pretty bad ass. the fight between arrow and thea, however, was laughable bad. maybe it was just because you could tell they were using a stunt double for thea, but holy shit, it looked terrible.

so how long is it before we get to see atom in action? end of this season? next season?

Who is the one that saves Ollie by throwing him into the Lazarus Pit? Guesses?

Last edited by Deftones; 12-11-14 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I honestly thought Ollie was playing Ra's and trying to get him towards the edge, so when Ollie sort of came back strong right at the end, I thought he would get the upper hand. Nope.

That kind of sucks, actually. Ollie is a better fighter than they showed. I'm okay with him losing but he was doing things he would never do in a fight on the streets. I would have preferred a more even match where Ra's just ended up being better.

And of course he's not dead, but it's lame when shows do things like this as a cliffhanger. All people are wondering is what they are going to do to bring him back from something that should have killed him.
Old 12-11-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Who is the one that saves Ollie by throwing him into the Lazarus Pit? Guesses?
I'll guess his old Hong Kong handler, Maseo, who was there on the mountain and tried to get Ollie to plead for mercy before the fight.
Old 12-11-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk God

That was my thought, as well.
Old 12-11-14, 11:16 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
And of course he's not dead, but it's lame when shows do things like this as a cliffhanger. All people are wondering is what they are going to do to bring him back from something that should have killed him.
Wow. Dude, that is literally the definition of a "cliffhanger". And in this case, we even got the cliff.
Old 12-11-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk God

I think he means it's lame that they "kill" off the main character as we all know he's not really dead.
Old 12-11-14, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
I think he means it's lame that they "kill" off the main character as we all know he's not really dead.
Again, that's literally the definition of a classic cliffhanger. No one ever really believes the character is dead unless it's the final episode. Even then...

A cliffhanger is designed to leave you thinking a character has died and left to wonder how they will get out of it. No one is naive enough to believe you would think the lead is actually dead. It's a classic adventure series storytelling device.

The definition from Wikipedia is as good as any:
A cliffhanger or cliffhanger ending is a plot device in fiction which features a main character in a precarious or difficult dilemma, or confronted with a shocking revelation at the end of an episode of serialized fiction. A cliffhanger is hoped to ensure the audience will return to see how the characters resolve the dilemma.
Old 12-11-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Toonview
Again, that's literally the definition of a classic cliffhanger. No one ever really believes the character is dead unless it's the final episode. Even then...

A cliffhanger is designed to leave you thinking a character has died and left to wonder how they will get out of it. No one is naive enough to believe you would think the lead is actually dead. It's a classic adventure series storytelling device.

The definition from Wikipedia is as good as any:
There is a difference between leaving the character in a dire situation (like cutting away right before he's run through) and running him through and throwing him off a cliff. There is not one thing about that that makes me want to come back because "did he die?" is already answered.

I'll be back because I'm a fan of the show but there was no dramatic impact for that episode. I was literally like "Huh...ok" when he was stabbed. Now if the same thing had happened to Thea or Felicity or any other character, I'd be way more shocked. It's zero stakes when it happens to Ollie.
Old 12-11-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a good ep. It's a no brainer they're going to toss him in the Lazarus pit. I hope he's all insane the second he comes out.
Old 12-11-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

There is a difference between leaving the character in a dire situation (like cutting away right before he's run through) and running him through and throwing him off a cliff. There is not one thing about that that makes me want to come back because "did he die?" is already answered.

I'll be back because I'm a fan of the show but there was no dramatic impact for that episode. I was literally like "Huh...ok" when he was stabbed. Now if the same thing had happened to Thea or Felicity or any other character, I'd be way more shocked. It's zero stakes when it happens to Ollie.
exactly. it's cheap. we know he's coming back. he's not dead. so now the only cliffhanger is how he is "resurrected" so to speak.
Old 12-11-14, 02:02 PM

I think that you reaction to it says more about you and your expectations and experience than it does about the drama of the moment, to be honest. I don't think they were trying to hit the same target you seem to feel they missed.

It's zero stakes when it happens to Ollie
That's a given and they know that. That circumstance prevents it from having the same kind of dramatic heft that doing it to the non-title characters would have, doesn't invalidate doing it as a narrative device. Appearing to kill Ollie isn't lame, it's storytelling.

I love being surprised by stories, even when I hate the surprise (i.e. killing Sara), but I also recognize that with main characters that's less likely to happen and try not to hold it against storytellers when they choose a situation whose resolution only the truly naive in the audience would not be able to predict.
Old 12-11-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Ollie was fighting angry and stupid. Too much aggression. That's why he lost so quickly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.