TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sons of Anarchy (S7E13) - Series Finale - "Papa's Goods" - 12/9/14

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sons of Anarchy (S7E13) - Series Finale - "Papa's Goods" - 12/9/14

Originally Posted by slop101
Subtle Sutter...

None other than Vanity Fair has a very good writeup on the ending and Jesus is right.
Old 12-16-14, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I half expected Jax to fly into the sky at the end like Neo in The Matrix.
Old 12-16-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess that explains all the Jesus Christs through the years. foreshadowing.
Old 12-17-14, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
i guess that explains all the Jesus Christs through the years. foreshadowing.
I rewatched it last night, and it was better the second time, knowing exactly what was going on. The bread/wine/Jax-as-Jesus at the end still felt WAY too heavy handed and was totally unnecessary.
Old 12-18-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Well my prediction came true...while as a whole, the show was C+ with two excellent seasons. Shame it could have been a much better show.
Old 12-22-14, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

So here's a question that has been bugging me. They keep constantly harping on how the MC is anti-black (the whole Juice story line for one, patching over TO, etc.) but the have a 30 year relationship with the 19ers and the Grim Bastards are their closest allies. Is this just an inconsistency or is there something more I missed?
Old 12-22-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
So here's a question that has been bugging me. They keep constantly harping on how the MC is anti-black (the whole Juice story line for one, patching over TO, etc.) but the have a 30 year relationship with the 19ers and the Grim Bastards are their closest allies. Is this just an inconsistency or is there something more I missed?
Not really an inconsistency. As an organized criminal organization, there's no way they could generate a steady stream of cash running through the club solely based off of white / Nazi business. Having black members join versus being associates of theirs are two different things.

I will say that it does seem that they toned it down a bit as the show went on. I've never watched any episode of the show more than one time, so it's been awhile but I seem to remember Clay and other members of the club tossing the n-word around quite a bit more often in the early seasons of the show.
Old 12-22-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They did tone it down. They toned it down so much I thought it made the show more unbelievable.
Old 12-24-14, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Movie? Is this for real?

http://empirenews.net/kurt-sutter-an...nam-brad-pitt/
Old 12-24-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by dave94
It's 100% fake
Old 12-24-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dave94
Did you read the other stories from that site?

http://empirenews.net/epa-president-...n-automobiles/

http://empirenews.net/breaking-north...ited-states-2/

http://empirenews.net/man-with-disor...fe-is-amazing/
Old 12-25-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I liked about SoA at the start was the sense of camaraderie and honor that I have only experienced in the military. I think that so many clubs start from military sources exactly for that reason. It is something that civilians, non-military or non-MC, really do not understand. For me that is why the later seasons really started to piss me off. It seems that Kurt went full Hollywood and the MC had to pay for their "crimes" and be punished. The betrayal of so many members for flimsy reasons, the stuff with Juice and Jax becoming a barely functioning retard really soured me on the show. Clubs like The Angels have existed and flourished because they maintain that honor and brotherhood. The show should have shown that rather than the typical Hollywood cliche crap that ended the show.
Old 12-25-14, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
What I liked about SoA at the start was the sense of camaraderie and honor that I have only experienced in the military.
What!? Right at the fucking start, they tired to kill Opie for a bullshit reason and mistakenly killed his wife and blamed it on someone else. Not to mention Clay/Gemma complicit in Teller's death. These guys were shit to each other from the get go.
Old 12-25-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
What!? Right at the fucking start, they tired to kill Opie for a bullshit reason and mistakenly killed his wife and blamed it on someone else. Not to mention Clay/Gemma complicit in Teller's death. These guys were shit to each other from the get go.
I know. That's like what, the first episode of the series?
Old 01-05-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL at him running into Chiklis's truck
Old 01-05-15, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I crammed this season in the last few days. I wish I had written down all my thoughts, I didn't want to bump each episode thread since I was so far behind and now I've forgotten some of what I wanted to post
this last season I didn't really care about any of them. I kind of wanted Unser to live but he was making stupid choices. Early on even though they were murdering criminals they had enough charisma to still like them as characters even if you'd never condone them in real life. But as each season went on that got less and less.

One thing I really couldn't stand was Katey "singing"
I know she's banging Sutter but come on, they had two actual professional musicians as regular guest stars (even if you hate their stuff they've at least been successful at it) and you have katey sing instead of one of them? She must be a lot better in bed than she looks
Old 04-27-15, 06:28 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Finally caught up !

I really really hated the Indian hills/jury/mayhem storyline. Regardless of what they were arguing about, fact is Jax PUNCHED Jury and Jury drew his gun so Jax shot him. no way that was a mayhem vote

Way way too much Gemma, Sutter shot himself in the foot with his nepatism. Gemma's storyline should have wrapped up by episode 5

No big showdown, Barosky and Marks went down way too easy.

too many of the Sons lived, wanted to see Hap and Rat make it, but more should have died
Old 05-08-15, 03:12 AM
Banned

I finally caught up on Netflix and thought this season was a total cluster. I knew some people would die but the amount of deaths was crazy. I honestly thought he was going to let Gemma go. I was naive as I thought Unser and Juice would have survived as well.

I had it nailed. Lol. Assumed he would take off with Wendy and the boys. Wow I was wrong.

And to make me look like a bigger pussy. As a father of small children it was hard to watch them in the car knowing they wouldn't have a dad after just losing mom. I know it's only TV but I couldn't imagine my kids going through that. Like I said I'm a pussy. 7 fun seasons but the last several up until Tara's death seemed the same. They always managed to never get shot, caught or anything like that....

Oh one more thing. Again I'm probably clueless. His speech to his dad at the end. Did he realize his dad committed suicide so his kids would not see him as a criminal. As Jax did with his kids or clay really killed him?

Last edited by Sgtsnake; 05-08-15 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-25-15, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I just watched some episodes of the series. It started off entertaining and I liked the premise of how it was based on MC's in California and what John Teller wrote in "The Life and Death of Sam Crow" was a great hook to keep watching. It ended up turning into the typical anti-hero nonsense like the Godfather. Jax, like Michael Corleone wants to do good but he keeps getting sucked into the life of doing worse and worse things.
The show also tried too hard to make the SOA look like the "good guys" or socially progressive in order for audiences to identify with them. All the MCs in the show look like their restricted by race. Mayans are Mexican, Grim Bastards black, SOA white...but they have hispanic members.
They get along with the Nords and the AB only because of politics and they have no problem having Hispanic members in their club. It seemed strange that Juice being half Black would be such a big deal when they already have Hispanic and Asian members. And in the end they have a Black member anyways.

I liked the first few episodes but the romanticizing of the whole thing was kind of cliche in my opinion.
Old 05-26-15, 09:24 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Sutter feared too much backlash if jax had lived, so knowing he had to die, he went overboard with the amount of damage Jax did in the last season

still it was an entertaining season
Old 05-26-15, 11:17 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I think the female fanbase would have been just fine if Jax lived. I don't sense there would have been any real backlash there. I would have been fine with it too.
Old 05-26-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

There aren't a lot of shows that I look forward to the ending, but this was one. I'm fine with the distorted reality they lived in, getting away with everything and whatnot, but Gemma and Tara made me want everyone to just blow up and call the show to an end. I didn't care either way if Jax lived or if he just rode on into obscurity, but what a heavy handed way to end the show.

Tig and Happy should have a spinoff buddy show for a season or so. Toss in Chucky, those three were the only ones I enjoyed seeing for the final season or two.
Old 05-27-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the sutter/sagal roadshow is coming to an end. I doubt the next show he is working on will go anywhere. It's really ashamed how well SOA started and how bad it became. He needs someone to reign him in. And use the real music, having gemma sing Gimme Shelter is embarrassing.
Old 07-15-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I started watching SOA with my wife a month or so ago. She was already about halfway through season 2 when i started watching so i kind of missed most of the "good episodes".

Did they ever say what happened to Jax brother, Thomas?

in my opinion, overall the series is pretty terrible but watchable
Old 07-15-15, 12:21 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I started watching SOA with my wife a month or so ago. She was already about halfway through season 2 when i started watching so i kind of missed most of the "good episodes".

Did they ever say what happened to Jax brother, Thomas?

in my opinion, overall the series is pretty terrible but watchable
Google...

Thomas Wayne "Tommy" Teller (January 8, 1984 – April 4, 1990), was the brother of Jackson 'Jax' Teller and the son of John Teller and Gemma Teller/Morrow. He died from a congenital heart defect at only six years old. Jax's youngest son, Thomas Teller II, is named after him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.