Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Librarians (TNT) - S: Wyle, Romijn, Kane, Booth -- Series Thread -- 12/7/14

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-14, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Librarians (TNT) - S: Wyle, Romijn, Kane, Booth -- Series Thread -- 12/7/14

never even heard of the films.
Old 12-07-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The TV films were apparently something of a franchise for TNT. I mostly know about them because TNG alum Jonathan Frakes directed a couple of them.
Old 12-07-14, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Librarians (TNT) - S: Wyle, Romijn, Kane, Booth -- Series Thread -- 12/7/14

Holy crap does Larroquette look old in that promo photo. I can only hope they're playing up the age thing for the character by accentuating his looks, but I'm sure/afraid that isn't the case. Guess it's been a long time since I've seen him in anything, but wow.
Old 12-07-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I think he's aged quite a bit lately. He looked good in Chuck a few years back, but then popped up on Almost Human last year looking like the above picture.
Old 12-07-14, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The TV films were apparently something of a franchise for TNT. I mostly know about them because TNG alum Jonathan Frakes directed a couple of them.
Yes, the 3 movies were big hits for TNT. Noah Wyle was the lead actor in all 3, but he couldn't do this series full-time because of his commitment to Falling Skies. He supposedly shot 2 episodes during the summer.

Happy to see this is from the makers of Leverage. Glad they brought Christian Kane here.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-07-14 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-08-14, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Its enjoyable, predictable, breezy, light television... especially compared to TNT's new "Boom" promotion line up of hard edged dramas. I know Major Crimes and Rizzoli & isles have light moments but these are still serious dramas. This feels like dessert after a thick porterhouse.

And for me personally, I never saw the Librarian films but the moment Romijn walked into the library, I said its the warehouse. So it fills the void left by Syfy's greedy cancellation of Warehouse 13.
Old 12-08-14, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The first Librarian film is great, one of the best light adventure television movies of this century. The second film was pretty bad and forgettable, I would skip it entirely. The third film is pretty good, albeit a rehash of the formula from the first two. They are available on Blu-ray from Europe.
Old 12-08-14, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by emachine12
Its enjoyable, predictable, breezy, light television... especially compared to TNT's new "Boom" promotion line up of hard edged dramas. I know Major Crimes and Rizzoli & isles have light moments but these are still serious dramas. This feels like dessert after a thick porterhouse.

And for me personally, I never saw the Librarian films but the moment Romijn walked into the library, I said its the warehouse. So it fills the void left by Syfy's greedy cancellation of Warehouse 13.
My sentiments exactly. I watched all 124 minutes tonight. It was fun, light, but also goofy as hell. I think the whimsical tone may not appeal to some. This could have also worked as The Librarian 4 as well since Bob Newhart and Jane Curtain returned from the movies. It reminded me a lot of Warehouse 13 with some elements of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It looks like Wyle will return in a future episode judging by the trailer. I'm not a huge Rebecca Romijn fan, but I do think her acting style worked well here as the lead. They did a good job casting actors who can play well off each other in a light and breezy adventure show like this. Kane was always awesome at that on Leverage.
Old 12-08-14, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm a librarian by trade, so this should appeal to me. Those two chicks are hot but the stereotypical "librarian" clothing has got to go. If only you were to see what the librarians of today really wear?!?!?! You'd get a hard on. If you're a guy.
Old 12-08-14, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Warehouse 13 meets Scorpion. Some of the imagery reminds me of Sanctuary.
Old 12-09-14, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too hokey. The fight scenes looked terrible. I'm gonna bail but i'll return if I hear nice things.
Old 12-09-14, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely a Warehouse 13 meets Leverage vibe. The first episode was really fun, the second one a little less so.

Like the above-mentioned shows, I think this needs a strong anchor (e.g. Artie, Nate). I'm not sure this show will work without that. We'll see.
Old 12-09-14, 07:41 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

is Wyle expected to join full time now that Falling Skies is on its last legs?
Old 12-09-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TGM
is Wyle expected to join full time now that Falling Skies is on its last legs?
I doubt it. My guess is that he continues to make the occasional guest appearance.
Old 12-09-14, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Dean Devlin, the EP for the show, said on his Facebook page that there is a longer director's cut available exclusively on Itunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-seaso...-1/id941940612

The extended cut for both episodes combined runs about 24 minutes longer.
Old 12-09-14, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I didn't expect to like it but I thought it was really fun.
Old 12-09-14, 10:32 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA

Boatdrinks.
Old 12-12-14, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Too hokey. The fight scenes looked terrible. I'm gonna bail but i'll return if I hear nice things.
This - although I didn't think it hokey - just terrible. The fight scenes were laughably bad, especially Romijn's. Couldn't they afford a decent stunt double for her? She looked especially bad since she's supposed to be the chief badass. She can't even run gracefully. And what about her character? Isn't she a active duty Colonel in the army running an elite counter terrorism unit? Did she resign off screen or did she just desert? And, boy, did everybody give the traitor girl an easy pass for her betrayal!
Old 12-13-14, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Dean Devlin, the EP for the show, said on his Facebook page that there is a longer director's cut available exclusively on Itunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-seaso...-1/id941940612

The extended cut for both episodes combined runs about 24 minutes longer.
Awesome sauce...thanks for the heads-up. To those who are on the fence, it is FREE, so it makes it a no brainier as far as giving it a shot.

Edited to add: only the first episode is free, but it is 58 minutes, and not a huge chunk of your day if it turns out that you are not a fan.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 12-13-14 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-14-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
My sentiments exactly. I watched all 124 minutes tonight. It was fun, light, but also goofy as hell. I think the whimsical tone may not appeal to some. This could have also worked as The Librarian 4 as well since Bob Newhart and Jane Curtain returned from the movies. It reminded me a lot of Warehouse 13 with some elements of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
My guess is that this project was originally intended to be The Librarian 4 and TNT instead decided to turn it into a short series. The opening two episodes feature Noah Wyle's character far more than you'd expect from the pilot of a series that won't include him as anything more than an occasional guest. The tone and style are very similar in feel to the three movies. Bob Newhart looked very old, I guess they were afraid of losing him over the course of this show if it became successful.

I don't know what to make of this series. The first two episodes were entertaining, especially if you've seen the prior movies in some form. I don't know what to think of the younger characters, we barely got a glimpse of their personalities except very surface impressions. John Larroquette is the main reason I am sticking around.

Watching this premiere, I kept thinking Rebecca Romijn would have made a great Wonder Woman or Supergirl fifteen years ago. Why she ended up under all that make-up as Mystique is a mystery that will never be solved.
Old 12-14-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Episode 3 is tonight

"And the Horns of a Dilemma" - Sunday, Dec. 14, at 8 p.m. (ET/PT) - TV-PG-LV

The Librarians' first solo mission hits a snag when Baird loses the others in a mysterious Labyrinth that magically exists below the skyscraper of a modern corporation.

Directed by Marc Roskin

Written by Jeremy Bernstein

Old 12-15-14, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So this is essentially the American version of Doctor Who with a more jumbled cast.
Old 12-15-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Librarians became the first television show in history to mention Mersenne primes.

The first episode with the main crew on their own felt very similar to Warehouse 13. I like the concept in general but I get the distinct impression this is going to end up being a bad show.
Old 12-22-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess this series has been modeled after Dr. Who. Which isn't a bad thing, but the movies were closer to Indiana Jones.

It was fun seeing Bruce Campbell play Santa Claus as a guest spot.
Old 12-23-14, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts

I just watched all the episodes up to this point. Fun show and a decent cast. I'm not a big fan of the female lead but the rest all do well in their roles. I'll keep watching.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.