Reload this Page >

Question about Breaking Bad.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-24-14, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I haven't seen the show before but I'm really wanting to dive into it, problem is the person I'm going to be watching it with is my mother and she doesn't really like shows that are extremely crass with overbearing profanity and sex scenes. It's not like she won't watch something with swearing and sex. But when its gratuitous and the swearing and sex scenes are constant and overbearing she doesn't like that sort of thing. Violence however, short of it being a SAW movie, isn't a problem. Neither is crime of drugs. Just swearing and sex.

So basically I'm looking for your opinion and any info you could pass along. The West Wing and The Newsroom are the back up plans. Also Sons of Anarchy, but I have a feeling that would be even worse than Breaking Bad haha.

Anyhow Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-14, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Question about Breaking Bad.

The first episode has a sort of sex scene but again, you have to remember that this was on AMC. It has about one F bomb each season and maybe a half dozen sexual tension filled scenes.

You should be more concerned about the moral and ethical aspect of having a show you cheer for the bad guy.
Old 11-24-14, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wasn't there a slightly more graphic uncut version which was a little different from what aired on TV?
Old 11-24-14, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Ift
Old 11-24-14, 05:05 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You really have nothing to worry about

Just watch it !
Old 11-24-14, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Wasn't there a slightly more graphic uncut version which was a little different from what aired on TV?
I keep on forgetting if the hand job/ebay bidding scene was ever in the aired episode.

The original did have some boobs as Jesse falls out of the window during the ride along meth bust.
Old 11-24-14, 11:56 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

for Breaking Bad, you'll hear 'bitch'. a lot.

and by your description, i would strongly advise against Sons of Anarchy. your mom might disown you.
Old 11-24-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Where the heck did you get the idea that Breaking Bad may have excessive sex or swearing?

It's is/was a TV-14 show that aired on AMC, not Showtime or HBO.

Drug use and violence were it's main components.
Old 11-24-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Where the heck did you get the idea that Breaking Bad may have excessive sex or swearing?

It's is/was a TV-14 show that aired on AMC, not Showtime or HBO.

Drug use and violence were it's main components.
I can understand his concern. It's about the rise and fall of a crystal meth manufacturer -- we're not talking about some generic hour-long drama.

In his defense, there is a sex scene in the pilot, and what feels like implied spousal rape later on in the series in a scene.

There isn't a whole lot of cussing -- more violence than anything. There are a couple of f-bombs sprinkled throughout the whole series (maybe 3 or 4) and some 'shit' here and there.

There were a few episodes rated TV-MA, too. Not every one was rated TV-14.

Last edited by My Other Self; 11-24-14 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-24-14, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

"Bitch" gets said a lot, there's a little bit of sex stuff with prostitutes, and one small bit of nudity in the pilot where you see tittie nipples. A good chunk of the show is TV-MA.

You'd be amazed at how much sex and nudity they can get on basic cable these days: ref - You're the Worst pilot. Sure it isn't as explicit as what they can get away with on premium cable, but it isn't far off.

In general though, Breaking Bad wasn't overly "extreme" or gratuitous, it was honestly like a graphic novel take on a meth dealer.
Old 11-24-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
You should be more concerned about the moral and ethical aspect of having a show you cheer for the bad guy.
Unless he's been living under a rock since the late '90s, that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-24-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't the flashback episode that shows what happens after Jesse was given money to buy an RV have boobs in the strip club? I think the TV version censored it out, but don't Netflix/DVD/BluRay versions have the boobage?
Old 11-24-14, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

There's quite a bit of graphic violence and blood/gore. Obviously there's also a lot of drug use/paraphernalia throughout given the subject matter of the series. The sex and swearing was overall fairliy tame if you ask me though.
Old 11-27-14, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

sweet. Its a go. Thanks guys. I've been meaning to check this show for some time. I've heard from more than a few different sources independent of each other that its as good as The Wire. Which to me is one of the benchmark shows when you're talking about greatest television drama ever. So I guess you could say my hopes are set pretty high haha.
Old 11-27-14, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
for Breaking Bad, you'll hear 'bitch'. a lot.
According to this video of every "bitch" in BB, he only says it 53 times. Seemed like a lot more to me.

Mild, disjointed, out of context spoilers aplenty.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/q9lmjhQuap8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>