Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Flash (S1E06) -- "The Flash is Born" -- 11/18/14

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: The Flash (S1E06) -- "The Flash is Born" -- 11/18/14

The physics problems mentioned above are hand-waved away in the comics by citing the Speed Force. I won't go into much detail, since I believe we will almost certainly see it eventually on the show.

I think people are conflating Wells' true identity with someone else many suspect. I laid a clue to his identity in my comments from the pilot's thread.
Old 11-19-14, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Like the show quite a bit. Yet they need a good reason why he can't avoid things he should be able to. He's too fast to be hot by someone with regular speed. That would be like us being hit by someone that was fifty times slower.

Berry still should have some level of enhanced strength and durability to handle such speeds.

I wonder how much grabbing on to metal man and vibrating really fast would have hurt. Can't imagine that feeling too good and direct force is not always going to work.

Wondered the same thing. No normal person could handle that. Maybe they can explain it at some point.
Just in case someone whines about it.

Spoiler:
His speed force aura protects him. Here is a short explanation
http://www.comicvine.com/flash/4005-...e-aura-672767/
Old 11-20-14, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Spoiler Allert! I'm the reverse flash. I can run so slow it takes me a day or more to travel a inch. I use my powers only for evil.
Old 11-20-14, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Just in case someone whines about it.

Spoiler:
His speed force aura protects him. Here is a short explanation
http://www.comicvine.com/flash/4005-...e-aura-672767/
That's what I normally would have thought, that can also be a reason why stuff does not break when it runs really fast past it however it's currently not working and he would be much faster with the speed force.

Could just say it's still there to some extent to protect him and no one knows what to call it yet. Not sure if they want him going TOO fast on this show. Even now little would really be a threat to him.
Old 11-20-14, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Spoiler Allert! I'm the reverse flash. I can run so slow it takes me a day or more to travel a inch. I use my powers only for evil.
Sounds more like Turtle Boy to me.
Old 11-20-14, 12:42 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Actually, it's just The Turtle. He was the first villain the Silver Age Flash fought. #I'mAHugeNerd
Old 11-20-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
You're thinking of the Legion of Superheroes. That is another 1000 years in the future.

Originally Posted by Sigh
Can you give the hint again? Maybe spoilerize it?
The names really don't mean much if you haven't read Flash comics. The common assumption for Wells' true identity is...

Spoiler:
Hunter Zolomon aka Zoom aka the third Reverse-Flash. I think there might be a chance he's another speedster from Flash lore, named after the Roman God of speed.
Old 11-20-14, 03:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
You're thinking of the Legion of Superheroes. That is another 1000 years in the future.

The names really don't mean much if you haven't read Flash comics. The common assumption for Wells' true identity is...

Spoiler:
Hunter Zolomon aka Zoom aka the third Reverse-Flash. I think there might be a chance he's another speedster from Flash lore, named after the Roman God of speed.
Comic nerd talk ahead:

Spoiler:
I don't think he's Max Mercury because Max Mercury wouldn't kill. He's probably Reverse Flash, but an amalgam of the Professor Zoom version and the Hunter Zolomon version. That seems too predictable to me, but maybe just because I'm a comic book reader -- if it turns out that he is the Reverse Flash, I'll be curious to see if non-readers find it shocking. I'm also curious to see whether Eddie Thawne is anybody.

Personally, I hope Wells is Abra Kadabra, though I doubt he is.
Old 11-20-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think Wells is a red haring. I think Well's is kind of A-moral, but does a lot for Barry. There were so many times he could have let him die, but didn't. Geoff Johns is too good of a writer to make him a villain. He's just misleading the audience away from:
Spoiler:
Zoom is

I think Wells is from the future, but there to help Barry.
A few reasons, other then the name, and I think Johns is a good writer.
A) Wells and Eddie Thawne have never met. They're the only two characters that haven't seen each other.
B)Look at the picture of reverse flash, the body is not the thin Wells, but someone who is built. Someone who looks like Thawne.
C) Thawne is the only character that doesn't have some backstory. Every other character, even the lab assistance have some personal history. Thawne is a mystery.
I hope this is what happens and think it would be awesome if it does.
Old 11-21-14, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Without reading spoilers and just going from what the show has depicted, Wells is from the future and is working to make sure that Barry does what he is supposed to do or what will save the future or whatever.
Old 11-21-14, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoiler:
Just For Fun Insane Theory Time: Wells is an agent of the Monitor to ensure the Crisis is averted in the future.

PS Im super stoked they didnt go all Smallville-baby talk with calling him "the Streak" forever.
Old 11-21-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Spoiler:
Just For Fun Insane Theory Time: Wells is an agent of the Monitor to ensure the Crisis is averted in the future.

....but if you look at his face in the first ep. while he is looking at the screen at the end it looks like he is helping to make it happen.
Old 11-21-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
Comic nerd talk ahead:

Spoiler:
I don't think he's Max Mercury because Max Mercury wouldn't kill. He's probably Reverse Flash, but an amalgam of the Professor Zoom version and the Hunter Zolomon version. That seems too predictable to me, but maybe just because I'm a comic book reader -- if it turns out that he is the Reverse Flash, I'll be curious to see if non-readers find it shocking. I'm also curious to see whether Eddie Thawne is anybody.

Personally, I hope Wells is Abra Kadabra, though I doubt he is.
Serious speculation that might kill the suspense of a big twist...
Spoiler:
I've thought of Abra Kadabra, but he's a flashy villain to waste as a series regular. I don't think Max Mercury would kill either, but maybe he's from a different timeline or something attempting to prevent the Crisis. We know that Wells is a time traveler of some sort. I will be disappointed if he is simply Professor Zoom.

There is one other strong possibility that I haven't seen mentioned. This show has shown they are willing to pull directly from the comics. Crisis is the most pivotal event in Barry Allen's life, since he saves the entire universe. Could Professor Wells be this man?
Spoiler:

Pariah, the scientist that was forced to see one world after another get destroyed by the Anti-Monitor?

Old 11-21-14, 03:27 PM
Suspended

Serious speculation that might kill the suspense of a big twist...
Spoiler:
I've thought of Abra Kadabra, but he's a flashy villain to waste as a series regular. I don't think Max Mercury would kill either, but maybe he's from a different timeline or something attempting to prevent the Crisis. We know that Wells is a time traveler of some sort. I will be disappointed if he is simply Professor Zoom.

There is one other strong possibility that I haven't seen mentioned. This show has shown they are willing to pull directly from the comics. Crisis is the most pivotal event in Barry Allen's life, since he saves the entire universe. Could Professor Wells be this man?
Spoiler:

Pariah, the scientist that was forced to see one world after another get destroyed by the Anti-Monitor?

Spoilery comic book talk.

Spoiler:
Pariah would be interesting. I've seen speculation that he could be the Monitor, but I hadn't thought of Pariah. Either way, a tie-in to Crisis makes sense, but Wells would represent a major rewrite of either Pariah or the Monitor compared to how they are depicted in the comics.

Then there's this guy:
Old 11-21-14, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Something I haven't seen mentioned.

What was Reverse Flash doing that causes all the streaks in the cops house?
Wouldn't it take him a matter of a second or two to take all the stuff out of the room?

Also it looks Like the color of the streaks are reversed. flash has yellow streaks and RF has red.

Alright so because, well just because, I frame by framed the scene.

Looks like he's running around looking for more things. He's flying around all over the place.
When he seems to stop for a moment in Front of the cop he opens his mouth wide and says or screams something at him.
In real time it sounds like a shriek.

Last edited by whotony; 11-21-14 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-21-14, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

He was show boating.
Old 11-22-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
He was show boating.
Basically. It was nothing more than his way of saying "Your right I'm real, now back off or you'll regret it."
Old 11-22-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had to make it clear he was real in order for the threat to have meaning. Isn't that obvious?

The last ten minutes or so saved the episode. Not a good sign if they continue with the villain of the week stuff.
Old 11-22-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iris signs her name to her blog and it directly leads to her being kidnapped by a psycho within a month...and nobody even said I told you!. It's not even discussed.

I'm kind of curious what she wrote about the incident and also what she told the police. After all her protection detail had their squad car flipped and she was apparently kidnapped. Even with a cop dad questions are going to be asked. Did she tell all, or did she cover it up? Did she mention that the Flash took custody of a wanted fugitive and did God knows what with him?
Old 11-22-14, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah, but like you said he is only forced to watch events. He doesn't have the power to influence or change anything; at least that's what I remember.
Old 11-22-14, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well they have said Well's first name and it started with H. I'm guessing his middle name starts with G. HG Wells, the Time Machine.

There was an HG Wells way back in the Lois and Clark show. Maybe the same character?
Old 11-22-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Since the theories about Wells are flying I'm going to throw out

Spoiler:
Metron. The guy is a genius and morally flexible. Plus he rides in a hover chair.
Old 11-23-14, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A poll on Wells' true identity.

http://twtsurvey.com/b9yxeczni7c7d3l