Blackish
American Horror Story

These are the shows it is about even with
The Originals
That is all I can think of

These are the shows it is better than
Supernatural
Sons of Anarchy

I only listed shows I am currently watching and only comparing it to the current season.
Fair enough. I think I like about even with the other three super hero shows, with Arrow maybe my least favorite now. Like it better than everything else on your list though.
Old 10-31-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Re: Gotham (S1E06) -- "Spirit of the Goat" -- 10/27/14

I'm still liking the show. It's different from the other DC TV shows and I think that's good.
Old 10-31-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm just not feeling this at all.

It might as well be Law & Order: Gotham.
Maybe that's why I like this so much and hate all the other superhero shows. This is the first superhero show we've gotten that doesn't feel like it's playing to the teen crowd. I haven't missed an episode yet. And I was one of the ones before the premiere that thought GOTHAM would be awful.
Old 10-31-14, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Yep. It's like a mature comic book show. Almost Vertigo like.
Old 10-31-14, 06:40 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

This was the first episode of the series that clicked with me. It's still my least favorite comic book show currently airing, but it's closing the gap.
Old 10-31-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Maybe that's why I like this so much and hate all the other superhero shows. This is the first superhero show we've gotten that doesn't feel like it's playing to the teen crowd. I haven't missed an episode yet. And I was one of the ones before the premiere that thought GOTHAM would be awful.
Ditto. I thought it'd be shit but I am hooked.
Old 11-03-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been really enjoying this one. My favorite new show of the season. It has good, interesting, villains week to week and they do just enough to advance the overall arc to keep it from feeling too much like a procedural.

With that said I did get a chuckle out of the whole thing with Gordon getting arrested for murdering Cobblepot. Had Cobblepot not shown up there at the end, It would have be in Gordon's best interest to let the whole thing go to trial. No body, no murder weapon and the arresting officer had an agenda against him? It wouldn't take Johnny Cochran to get him off the hook on that.
Old 11-03-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
And the only witness was that homeless guy who probably wouldn't testify.
Old 11-03-14, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

How the fuck does a 15yr old catwoman just walk into the Wayne Mansion? Do they not have security patrols, guard dogs, etc, etc?
Old 11-03-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I think this was my favorite episode so far. Despite some minor annoyances, I'm into this show.

I don't find it bothersome at all that some characters only show up for one or two scenes in an episode and the action in those scenes isn't self-contained or doesn't resolve by the end. This is a serial drama. Seeds are planted here and there in an episode that will have more significance in later episodes.
Old 11-04-14, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

This show has some good things going for it, despite the elephant in the room of there being no Batman. It's still a predictable procedural at its heart, but they keep adding colorful characters to make up for it. I don't consider it appointment television but Gotham has kept my attention, so far.

Honestly, I was fully prepared to drop this show before it aired. I think it has surpassed my low expectations, I've never been a big fan of Gotham-related stories without Batman/Batgirl/Robin in them.

I will give them some advice. They better start moving toward costumed villains, sooner rather than later. The audience is going to start tuning out if they don't see someone running around in a costume.
Old 11-04-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Eric F
How the fuck does a 15yr old catwoman just walk into the Wayne Mansion? Do they not have security patrols, guard dogs, etc, etc?
That's kind of what I wondered. The two most rich and powerful people in the city were murdered and there was a serial killer on the loose, even if you don't have guards all over the place, you don't lock the window?
Old 11-04-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This show has some good things going for it, despite the elephant in the room of there being no Batman. It's still a predictable procedural at its heart, but they keep adding colorful characters to make up for it. I don't consider it appointment television but Gotham has kept my attention, so far. Honestly, I was fully prepared to drop this show before it aired. I think it has surpassed my low expectations, I've never been a big fan of Gotham-related stories without Batman/Batgirl/Robin in them. I will give them some advice. They better start moving toward costumed villains, sooner rather than later. The audience is going to start tuning out if they don't see someone running around in a costume.
I've heard that Gotham Central comic was one of the best things DC ever put out.
Old 11-04-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I will give them some advice. They better start moving toward costumed villains, sooner rather than later. The audience is going to start tuning out if they don't see someone running around in a costume.
Can't tell if you're serious, but I disagree with this sentiment. The audience will be there if the characters and situations are compelling. And a good portion of Batman's rogues gallery isn't "costumed" anyway.
Old 11-04-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been struggling with this series, and it's been regulated to "get around to watching it when I can" so i'm a week behind and just watched this episode last night. I think the problem i'm having is that half the stuff on the show comes off as really corny and cheesy; the goat stuff for instance in this episode was just hokey, as was the motivation and reasoning from the therapist behind it. Characters like Fish also come off as really cheesy to me, like caricatures. The Nygma stuff was also eye rolling in this episode. It feels like a weird contrast since Gordon is super serious, as well as the stuff around young Bruce and Penguin. Those parts are quite enjoyable.

Nothing about the show has quite grabbed me as a must watch, but it's not bad either.
Old 11-04-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
Can't tell if you're serious, but I disagree with this sentiment. The audience will be there if the characters and situations are compelling. And a good portion of Batman's rogues gallery isn't "costumed" anyway.
You need the costumes to hook younger viewers. Strip out the comic book trappings and this is a predictable police procedural we've seen a million times before on CBS.

The guy playing the Penguin has saved this show for me.
Old 11-04-14, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

You need the costumes to hook younger viewers. Strip out the comic book trappings and this is a predictable police procedural we've seen a million times before on CBS.

The guy playing the Penguin has saved this show for me.
This show is aimed at the upper portion of the 18-49 demographic I think.
Old 11-05-14, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

It's really quite amazing that the Penguin looks to be the breakout character here.

The character is kind of a throwback to the more innocent and sillier comics of the golden age and silver age and doesn't really translate that well to modern times. He had to be turned into a grotesque monster to work in Burton's Batman Returns, and was absent from Miller's Dark Knight Returns.
Old 11-05-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Haven't some comics gone the "evil businessman" route with Penguin? The Bruce Timm series kind of did.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-05-14 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-05-14, 10:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't watched the latest episode so will comment here. Does anyone else think Fish's only purpose in this show is for the inevitable one-liner about how penguins eat fish?
Old 11-05-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they went the costumed hero route, I'm out. That Goatman episode was walking the line.
Old 11-05-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Could not disagree more. This show is clearly going for the older demographic. Costumed villains would ruin the show. If you can compare it to the CBS procedurals (you know, the ones that are the highest rated shows on TV) then it's a big win for FOX.
Old 11-05-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Could not disagree more. This show is clearly going for the older demographic. Costumed villains would ruin the show. If you can compare it to the CBS procedurals (you know, the ones that are the highest rated shows on TV) then it's a big win for FOX.
CBS and Fox really don't have the same kind of audience. Going outside of forums like this one filled with hardcore viewers, there isn't much overlap between the channels except for football.

The Penguin now has his umbrella.