Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrow (S3E03) -- "Corto Maltese" -- 10/22/14

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Arrow (S3E03) -- "Corto Maltese" -- 10/22/14

"Corto Maltese" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

OLIVER SEARCHES FOR THEA IN CORTO MALTESE WHILE DIGGLE TRACKS A.R.G.U.S. AGENT MARK SHAW - Oliver (Stephen Amell) decides it's time for Thea (Willa Holland) to come back to Starling City, so he packs for Corto Maltese, where Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) has traced Thea's whereabouts. Lyla (guest star Audrey Marie Anderson) asks Diggle (David Ramsey) to go with Oliver because one of her field operatives, Mark Shaw (guest star David Cubitt), has gone dark in Corto Maltese and she'd like him to look into it. Feeling responsible for Thea's departure, Roy (Colton Haynes) joins Oliver and Diggle on their journey. Shaw double-crosses Diggle, putting numerous A.R.G.U.S. agents, including Lyla, at risk. Meanwhile, Laurel (Katie Cassidy) meets Ted Grant (J.R. Ramirez), and Felicity adjusts to her new job. Stephen Surjik directed the episode written by Erik Oleson & Beth Schwartz (#303). Original airdate 10/22/2014.

Read more: Listings - ARROW on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3GrSFxh4u

Old 10-22-14, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Arrow (S3E03) -- "Corto Maltese" -- 10/22/14

Mark Shaw!
Wildcat!

I am geeking out here.
Old 10-22-14, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Thea is hot as shit now.

Nice to see how Wildcat will come into play. Not sure where they are going to go with the manhunter stuff, though.
Old 10-23-14, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

At Laurel's pathetic attempt at being a vigilante.

Thea was both hot and badass in this episode. Normally I hate girls with super short hair cuts, but that hair works on Willa Holland. I enjoyed the flashbacks with her training from Malcolm.

Good to see Nyssa Al Ghul back. Boy will she be disappointed her girlfriend is dead.
Old 10-23-14, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt guilty for cheering for the guy to beat Laurel up but she sucks
Old 10-23-14, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

At Laurel's pathetic attempt at being a vigilante.
I thought it fit perfectly. You have a Woman, surrounded by 'heroes' and trying to be one herself, knowing she doesn't have it in her, but tries anyway. She got her ass handed to her but what would anyone in her situation try and do. Exactly what she did.
I'm not really bothered by it and if they can build her up through the season and not just within a few episodes, then I think it can work. Though there is no way she's gonna take Sara's place by taking lessons from an MMA coach. At some point she'll need to get some real training if she wants to wear that jacket.
Old 10-23-14, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked the episode but didn't think I would half way through. Loved the ending with Sara's girlfriend demanding where is she. The part with Thea reminded me of Kain from Kung fu with that hot pot he had to move. Kind of dug Laurel trying to be tough lady and getting beat down. I would have hated to see a untrained person just be awesome from the start.

I kind of get the feeling Digs wife is up to no good. I don't think she wanted him to return from that mission possibly on Amanda's orders.

So if Thea is going back home will her training end? I hope not because I want more evil captain Jack. Oh and for trainers I kind of wish they went with a older actor for wildcat but he did a good job.
Old 10-23-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
I felt guilty for cheering for the guy to beat Laurel up but she sucks
Laurel's butt-kicking was an unexpected bonus... (just tired of her character, just kills the show's momentum each week when she gets air-time).
Old 10-23-14, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For real. Killing off her sister and leaving her behind was easily the biggest misstep of this show.
Old 10-23-14, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're really setting up the Thea as Speedy in the future. First with the seemingly throwaway nickname, then the middle name of Dearden, now the training and going by the name Mia in Corto Maltese.

Also, noticed a reference to Gerry Conway in the episode, although I think it would've made more sense to drop his name in an upcoming episode of The Flash because, didn't he
Spoiler:
create Firestorm?

Finally, I didn't notice what all of the plans Ray was looking at were, but the last one definitely said OMAC.
Old 10-23-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think Ted should have been a bit older and bigger. He was a heavy weight in the comics. He should of at least been as big as Crixus.
Old 10-23-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

This is the CW after all, I guess casting an older guy for Ted Grant wasn't possible. This casting looks like a romantic possibility for Laurel. I wasn't particularly charged by the guy they cast for Mark Shaw, but whatever. No man escapes the manhunters.

They always give Felicity some great lines. Even Ollie had one in this episode, when he fired those guns. I can kind of buy Thea coming back with martial art skills since her father is a psycho.

They flipped the script a bit from the comics regarding Laurel's progression. She didn't go to get physical training until after realizing her sonic powers weren't enough in battle. It would be funny if she gets training and then goes out as Black Canary, only to still have her head handed to her.
Old 10-23-14, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
I thought it fit perfectly. You have a Woman, surrounded by 'heroes' and trying to be one herself, knowing she doesn't have it in her, but tries anyway. She got her ass handed to her but what would anyone in her situation try and do. Exactly what she did.
I'm not really bothered by it and if they can build her up through the season and not just within a few episodes, then I think it can work. Though there is no way she's gonna take Sara's place by taking lessons from an MMA coach. At some point she'll need to get some real training if she wants to wear that jacket.
lol, "real" training as in the "real" training that only exists in comic books true though, maybe Raz will apprentice her
Old 10-23-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I kind of get the feeling Digs wife is up to no good. I don't think she wanted him to return from that mission possibly on Amanda's orders. .
Toootaly got that vibe too. She heard him come in, yet when he put his arm around her you could see her pull away. Given everything they have been through I would call BS. I bet Waller threatened their daughter if she didn't do her bidding.

Willa was looking good, but definitely not passing for a high schooler any more. I hope they get some stuff out of the way and allow relationships to progress. The lies are going to get just too boring. Wonder who she'll stay with. Isn't Oliver out of money and homeless?

I'm okay with the Laurel plot, so long as they take their time. Given the long story arcs, I hope that proves to be the case.
Old 10-24-14, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Now that Sara is dead, I don't think they are going to delay Laurel becoming Black Canary that much. I think they know fans were happy with last year's arrangement and will want to get a female hero back on the show, as soon as possible. She could be Black Canary as soon as the winter break.
Old 10-24-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

So, does my car insurance cover costumed vigilantes scratching my paint when they jump on my roof and hood while pursuing a bad guy? Just askin'...
Old 10-27-14, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Now that Sara is dead, I don't think they are going to delay Laurel becoming Black Canary that much. I think they know fans were happy with last year's arrangement and will want to get a female hero back on the show, as soon as possible. She could be Black Canary as soon as the winter break.
she should go back to her day job delivering babies in her beak, and let them resurrect sara already.
Old 10-31-14, 12:58 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Mark Shaw!
Wildcat!

I am geeking out here.
Did you notice that the weapon blueprints Ray Palmer was examining at the end of the episode were labelled

Spoiler:
O.M.A.C.
Old 10-31-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
Did you notice that the weapon blueprints Ray Palmer was examining at the end of the episode were labelled

Spoiler:
O.M.A.C.
No, I didn't catch that.
Old 11-01-14, 03:13 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
No, I didn't catch that.
Spoiler: