Reload this Page >

Sleepy Hollow (S2E05) -- "The Weeping Lady" -- 10/20/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-20-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,547 Likes on 2,541 Posts

A WOMAN FROM CRANE'S PAST CAUSES CHAOS IN SLEEPY HOLLOW ON AN ALL-NEW "SLEEPY HOLLOW" MONDAY, OCTOBER 20, ON FOX

A woman from Ichabod Crane's past comes to Sleepy Hollow in the form of an un-dead Weeping Lady, aiming to harm anyone in her path. Meanwhile, Katrina and Crane learn unsettling things about each other's pasts, and Abbie has some unexpected flirtatious encounters in the all-new "The Weeping Lady" episode of SLEEPY HOLLOW airing Monday, October 20 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SLH-205) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Cast: Tom Mison as Ichabod Crane; Nicole Beharie as Lt. Abbie Mills; Orlando Jones as Captain Frank Irving; Katia Winter as Katrina Crane; John Noble as Henry Parish, Lyndie Greenwood as Jenny Mills.

Read more: Listings - SLEEPY HOLLOW on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3GjBbm5xb

Episode 5 of 18
Old 10-21-14, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Sleepy Hollow (S2E05) -- "The Weeping Lady" -- 10/20/14

I liked how they were able to tie a monster of the week episode into the overall mythology of the show. I'm still not sure what purpose the artifacts guy serves and his presence in Sleepy Hollow stretches my incredulity more than a headless horseman or a John Noble sin-eating man-baby.
Old 10-21-14, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So scaring the shit out of a woman is a good way to get into her pants ? They look like the make out couple who wandered in from Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Crane apologizing to the girl was kind of sweet. I wonder if the high school I see in every movie and TV show actually exists anywhere? Either I missed out on a lot, or these fantasy worlds have been throughly codified.

Hawley is kind of annoying, to be honest. And I find it very hard to believe that he's been collecting all of this supernatural stuff and wasn't a believer. I'm sure it's been mined elsewhere in genre fiction, but on a conceptual level, the guy who knows about the supernatural stuff and is a privateer rather than a monster hunter is kind of cool, but the character is kind of dull. Did no one else at the library notice the hole full of water and the evil woman? Or hear the gunshot? For some reason, the design reminds me vaguely of Ringu, isn't there a similar Japanese legend? The design looks vaguely familiar? It's actually a little reminiscent of Mama.

How the hell do you drop a piece of paper like that? Don't his pockets fold shut? That goodbye sequence was a little melodramatically played. She had on a lot of makeup too, looked remarkably pale. Maybe foreshadowing? It Katrina is with two of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse, how the hell can the Weeping Lady get to her? Surely she's be safe from other demons there, if nothing else. And where the hell was the horseman going?

The underwater sequences must've been difficult on a TV budget, though the one with Katrina with a little murky, it was difficult to see what she did. The makeup, some of it probably digital, and the moody and smoky blue digital cinematography looked really good though, the production values on this show are top notch. Between having Kurtzman and Orci and the success last season, Fox must be sinking more money into it. The big reveal was a actually a bit surprising. Not "she killed Mary" surprising, but still, nice to know that even for magical 200-year old people with powers, relationships aren't easy.

So why did Jenny go to Hawley? What was she taking from him? I assume they've been hooking up in the past?
Old 10-21-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138

It Katrina is with two of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse, how the hell can the Weeping Lady get to her? Surely she's be safe from other demons there, if nothing else. And where the hell was the horseman going?
You must not have been paying attention. Henry was looking for a "sin" to try and turn Katrina. Once he found it, he summoned the Weeping Lady to drive a wedge between Ichabod and Katrina. Abraham had no idea this was being done. I'm assuming that Henry summoned him and then told him about what was going on which is why the Horseman showed up at the end. The way Moloch was scolding Henry at the end makes me think that Katrina might be the third Horseman.
Old 10-21-14, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Is the relationship between Abbie's sister and the blond dude new? I can't remember if we had seen them together in previous episodes.
Old 10-22-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil M.
You must not have been paying attention. Henry was looking for a "sin" to try and turn Katrina. Once he found it, he summoned the Weeping Lady to drive a wedge between Ichabod and Katrina. Abraham had no idea this was being done. I'm assuming that Henry summoned him and then told him about what was going on which is why the Horseman showed up at the end. The way Moloch was scolding Henry at the end makes me think that Katrina might be the third Horseman.
No, I wasn't paying attention . Thanks :embarrassed:.
Old 10-22-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mugwump
I liked how they were able to tie a monster of the week episode into the overall mythology of the show. I'm still not sure what purpose the artifacts guy serves and his presence in Sleepy Hollow stretches my incredulity more than a headless horseman or a John Noble sin-eating man-baby.
My co-worker says is because they didn't have a blond on the show. only brunettes and the red hair and minorities so they needed the "hollywood" factor. I work with crazy people.
Old 10-22-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Hawley was someone that Jenny knew. She put Abbie and Ichabod in touch with him in the episode with the evil coin. One detail that might be forgotten about Jenny was that she was doing work for Sheriff Corbin so it's likely that she knew Hawley for quite a while.
Old 10-22-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

With Hawley being thrown into the mix, I started wondering if he's going to be the next Horseman.

There are still two Horsemen, Famine and Pestilence, who have yet to be revealed.

I'd say that since Ichabod and Abbie are witnesses, that probably lets them out of the running.

Hawley? Since he's a recurring character it seems he has some kind of purpose.

Jenny? Two of the Horsemen are already connected with Witness Ichabod. Maybe the next two are connected to the other Witness Abbie.

Irving? Another connection to Abbie, and he's already sold his soul.

Katrina? The two known Horsemen already share a connection with her. Maybe they will be from the 18th century, which would also put Ichabod in play.
Old 10-22-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
My co-worker says is because they didn't have a blond on the show. only brunettes and the red hair and minorities so they needed the "hollywood" factor. I work with crazy people.
I wouldn't be surprised if that is the real reason he is on the show. I can picture the board meeting in my head, 65 year old white guys sitting around a big conference table making that decision.
Old 10-23-14, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Almost all Hollywood casting decisions are still made like that, and few of them are white guys in their 60s.

It used to be axiomatic that a show wanted some combination of blond, brunette, and redhead leads. Race and age are more important factors now.

Watching this episode, I kept thinking Nicole Beharie would be a dynamite choice to play Catwoman.
Old 10-23-14, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I thought this was Mison's best bit of acting so far. He almost had me choking up when he saw that first victim.

And I guess we're gonna be seeing more and more of Hawley? He seems to be taking Irving's spot by now.
Old 10-24-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Almost all Hollywood casting decisions are still made like that, and few of them are white guys in their 60s.

It used to be axiomatic that a show wanted some combination of blond, brunette, and redhead leads. Race and age are more important factors now.

Watching this episode, I kept thinking Nicole Beharie would be a dynamite choice to play Catwoman.
This show is probably the one with the most diversed cast racially. But Hawley's character is annoying. But him being amoral or a mercenary probably means that he will be a good guy. Isn't that how many adventures stories and movies go now?