TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Wars: Rebels (Disney XD) - Season 1 Thread - premieres 10/3/14

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Disney, Lucasfilm Animation Prep ‘Star Wars Rebels’ Series For 2014 Launch

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I've heard a bunch of episodes are actually complete, but they're just sitting around. Hopefully, Disney will eventually let them see the light of day.
The previews of Detours were online for a little while. After seeing the footage, hopefully Disney will never let it see the light of day.
Old 10-02-14, 10:15 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Star Wars: Rebels (Disney XD) - Season 1 Thread - premieres 10/3/14

Continuing the epic tradition of the legendary Star Wars saga, an exciting animated one-hour movie "Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion" will be available first to verified users on WATCHDisneyXD.com and the WATCH Disney XD app, beginning MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 29. WATCH Disney XD allows consumers to watch on tablets, phones, computers and set-top boxes. The global television debut of "Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion" is set for FRIDAY, OCTOBER 3 (9:00 p.m. ET/PT in the U.S.) on Disney Channels around the world, ushering in the series "Star Wars Rebels," beginning MONDAY, OCTOBER 13 (9:00 p.m. ET/PT) on Disney XD. The series will air in 34 languages across 163 countries in over 400 million households. The television movie garnered rave reviews at last month's San Diego Comic-Con fan event for its story (set between the events of Star Wars Episodes III and IV) and its look - akin to the classic Star Wars trilogy. The series designs are influenced by the work of original Star Wars concept artist Ralph McQuarrie. The story unfolds during a dark time when the evil Galactic Empire is tightening its grip of power on the galaxy. Imperial forces have occupied a remote planet and are ruining the lives of its people. The motley but clever crew of the starship Ghost - cowboy Jedi Kanan, ace pilot Hera, street-smart teenager Ezra, the "muscle" Zeb, warrior firebrand Sabine, and cantankerous old astromech droid Chopper - is among a select few who are brave enough to stand against the Empire. Together, they will face threatening new villains, encounter colorful adversaries, embark on thrilling adventures and become heroes with the power to ignite a rebellion.

CREW INFORMATION:
· Carrie Beck as EP
· Dave Filoni as EP
· Greg Weisman as EP
· Simon Kinberg as EP
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xg5YN3LAGw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Getting this started a day early due to the news that it has been renewed already for second season: http://deadline.com/2014/10/disney-r...rebels-844725/

So the 1 hour premiere will be this Friday on Disney Channel. Then it will be on Mondays starting 10/13 on Disney XD.

Last edited by dex14; 10-03-14 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-02-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Rebels (Disney XD) - Season 1 Thread - premieres 10/3/14

Saw this already on the DisneyXD app. I thought it was pretty good, looking forward to more.
Old 10-02-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Based off of the preview a couple of months ago I think I'm going to absolutely love this show.
Old 10-02-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I never watched The Clone Wars but think I'll check this out. Should be interesting to see the gap between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope filled in.
Old 10-02-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It's practically identical in feel to Clone Wars, though it appears they've refined the formula somewhat to eliminate stuff pandering to children under 10. I've liked what I've seen in the small little webisodes DisneyXD has been airing over the last month.
Old 10-02-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm checking it out but I'm not a fan of the CG style. Looks too smooth(?) kiddy-ified(?) or something. The clone Wars was grittier.
Old 10-02-14, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm checking it out but I'm not a fan of the CG style. Looks too smooth(?) kiddy-ified(?) or something. The clone Wars was grittier.
The characters look like puppets.
Old 10-03-14, 01:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's practically identical in feel to Clone Wars, though it appears they've refined the formula somewhat to eliminate stuff pandering to children under 10. I've liked what I've seen in the small little webisodes DisneyXD has been airing over the last month.
The Clone Wars animated series had some adult stuff like the Rookies episode and then followed up with a Jar Jar episode. I expect Rebels to do the same. I bet you there will be an ewok episode before the season is over.
Old 10-03-14, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The characters look like puppets.
Yeah, they're too polished. No textures of any kind. Looks like something that belongs on a cereal box... which is no doubt, the end game with the SW franchise anymore.
Old 10-03-14, 08:43 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Monday 10/13

Fixed. Thanks
Old 10-03-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just finished watching with the wife. We were both in high school when the original Star Wars came out, so we've been fans since the beginning. That being said, as soon as it was over, she turned to me and said, "Okay, I want to watch this every week, but can we figure out a way to get rid of the commercials?" Man, were the promos for all those other Disney shows obnoxious!

SW Rebels was fun, but with enough "something" in the set up and story to make us want to keep coming back.
Old 10-03-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I wasn't a big fan of the Clone Wars mainly because it's part of the crappy prequels and I wanted something that went past that.

Rebels was okay, but I feel that it's really targeted for little kids like other DXD shows. I'll give it a few more episodes.
Old 10-04-14, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a fan of the animation but I thought the 1st episode was excellent. From the character designs I thought this was going to geared toward young children but if the pilot is any indication that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 10-04-14, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I didn't love the animation either but the pilot movie was really damn good if you ask me. I'm in for the season.
Old 10-04-14, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Great start and this show paces much better than Clone Wars did when it started. While I did not hate Clone Wars I enjoyed the later seasons more than the first two.
Old 10-04-14, 06:21 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Isn't the Ezra character essentially Disney's Aladdin in space?

Also not a fan of the CG animation style... or the voice work -- especially Freddie Prinze Jr. The story was decent for a kid's show and the action was fairly exciting, but (canon or not) stuff like this will never be true Star Wars to me.
Old 10-04-14, 06:30 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

not bad... but feels like a rehash of characters we already know.
Old 10-04-14, 07:22 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ This. Not to mention they beat the die-hard fans over the head with so many callbacks to the OT in the first episode alone: Twi'lek, Mandalorians (who now come in pink! ), Wookiees, Ugnaughts, cantina devil man, speeder bikes, Spice Mines of Kessel, AA-23... I could go on.

This may be a positive thing for some viewers, but at least all six films offered inventive new tech/aliens/locales in each episode. Other then Zeb (who was based on Ralph McQuarrie's abandoned concept art for Chewbacca), very little feels fresh in the world of this series. Their major mission statement is to stir up OT nostalgia, but hopefully the new films will aspire to do something more with the property. There's a limitless galaxy out there to explore.

Last edited by joe_b; 10-04-14 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-04-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was only the first episode, it seems a bit harsh to start picking it apart. The callbacks to the original trilogy I didn't have a problem with at all and frankly I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with them. I'm sure as the show goes on we'll be introduced to new planets/locales, alien species, and etc. Plus this is more or less aimed at kids and probably the original trilogy callbacks are for fans old enough to have kids to draw them in a bit and use the show to get their kids interested in the original trilogy.
Old 10-04-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

People want a connection to the OT. If this was just set in a galaxy far far away with no connection to what we've already seen on the screen it wouldn't be "Star Wars" in my opinion. Even things like Knight of the Old Republic have a connection to the OT.
Old 10-04-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I completely skipped over The Clone Wars, but I think I am in on this series, because the pilot was a lot of fun.
Old 10-04-14, 03:12 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I think the reason a lot of people (unfortunately) skipped Clone Wars was because, outside of Asoka and the Clone troopers, a lot of stories all tended to focus on Anakin, Yoda, Obi-Wan, etc., characters that, by the end of Revenge of the Sith, we were ready to move on from. Oh, and all the heavily political stuff that was done to death in the prequels. While there were some good plots and overall arcs in place, at some points, it felt like 'been there, done that, no surprises' in store for the viewers. I mean, we knew how it was going to end for all those familiar characters. One thing I am hoping for with Rebels is that we are going to see the Empire and the rise of the Rebellion from a fresh perspective. I was GLAD that none of the Wookies last night were Chewbacca (even though they looked, as my wife put it, like tall Lego toys...)
Old 10-04-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm guessing from the framing of many of the shots that, -like "Clone Wars", -the OAR is 2:35:1 and cropped to 1:78 for broadcast. On Netflix or Blu-Ray down the line, I imagine it will be shown in a "wide-screen" ratio.
Old 10-04-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by N2DVD
I think the reason a lot of people (unfortunately) skipped Clone Wars was because, outside of Asoka and the Clone troopers, a lot of stories all tended to focus on Anakin, Yoda, Obi-Wan, etc., characters that, by the end of Revenge of the Sith, we were ready to move on from. Oh, and all the heavily political stuff that was done to death in the prequels. While there were some good plots and overall arcs in place, at some points, it felt like 'been there, done that, no surprises' in store for the viewers. I mean, we knew how it was going to end for all those familiar characters. One thing I am hoping for with Rebels is that we are going to see the Empire and the rise of the Rebellion from a fresh perspective. I was GLAD that none of the Wookies last night were Chewbacca (even though they looked, as my wife put it, like tall Lego toys...)
I mostly didn't watch The Clone Wars because I didn't care for the prequels and didn't feel like I needed to see more stories from that period of Star Wars history. I've heard a lot of good things about the series though so maybe eventually I'll give it a try. I like that Rebels is piecing together some of the timeframe between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope plus it feels more like the original trilogy so far which is a good thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.