Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Legend of Korra, Book 4: Balance (The Final Season)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Legend of Korra, Book 4: Balance (The Final Season)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: The Legend of Korra, Book 4: Balance (The Final Season)

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
I saw what their Avatar The Last Airbender toy line and they left out half the characters. When I was a kid I always wanted the main sething of characters, not deep sea Batman or fifty variants of the same character.
Apparently, even the Legend of Korra video game omits most of the supporting cast as well.
Old 12-20-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a great finale.

My 8 years old daughter says that the Last Airbender is better, but Korra has the better battles.

The final episode made me misty.

Wait, is everyone here saying that Korra and her lady friend are a couple? I'm not seeing that.
Old 12-20-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

then you're pretty blind.
Old 12-20-14, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Old 12-20-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
It was a great finale.

My 8 years old daughter says that the Last Airbender is better, but Korra has the better battles.

The final episode made me misty.

Wait, is everyone here saying that Korra and her lady friend are a couple? I'm not seeing that.
Its clear for me but it isn't solid. I think the left it up for the viewer to decide. To tell you the truth I think it is kind of sad it matters so much to people. Their sexuality doesn't change who they are.
Old 12-20-14, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

They sure started hinting that Asami had other thoughts in mind awhile back.
Old 12-21-14, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-21-14, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the way they ended it was perfect enough. I don't think we're at a point in society where that wouldn't just make conservatives head's explode and be a little much for a kid's show.

Old 12-21-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
That's awesome! I love the internet.

But yeah, did a little more research yesterday and found out about the shippers, korrasami vs makorra, or something like that. I really don't care either way.

But it would have been sadder if the ending was with Mako. I mean, we have a really strong heroin, that grew a lot in four seasons, a lot of character development, etc. and the final shot is her with a man?
And I guess you could say the same, does Korra really needs finish the show with a love interest? Isn't that too traditional, even if it's with another woman?

But yeah, people were really excited, a lot of "confirmed by the creators" posts, when they were just reposting links.

Finally, although TLA was the better show, I think TLOK will have the bigger impact in the future. I already see people quoting the show in all kind of sites. I mean, not fan sites, for example, the other day in The Verge, in one article about Microsoft or something, one poster quoted the show.
Old 12-21-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I mean, I would have been annoyed if it was going back to Mako as well since, well, this past season has been a complete female empowerment movement that I'm really glad that late teen female viewers can look up to.

Look at how the male characters took a backseat this season. It was all about having powerful female characters and that, for a cartoon, is far more awesome of an achievement.
Old 12-21-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Their attitude was horrible. Someone else should get the rights that will not toss it aside.
They must've considered it an big enough franchise to greenlight new seasons of it, I guess they lost faith in it very quickly.

How bad was the quality on nick.com?
VHS blurry. Though to be fair, even my wired Internet connection is horrid, my wifi barley runs at 3.5 Mbps, so other stations' like ABC and FOX players have similar quality for me . I can't run the Nick app on my Sony BD player or my Samsung Smart TV . And watching on my iPhone isn't very edifying.

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Nick no longer cared about the franchise when it wasn't selling toys to little 9 year olds. Little did they realize that those 9 year olds that grew up with Avatar: TLA are now in the late teens and early 20's and this is the perfect market to continue the franchise with.

Oh well, theirs and our loss.
Well, unfortunately, 20-somethings probably don't buy enough merchandise to make Nick happy. I assume ratings weren't very good either, or else they wouldn't have yanked it from TV.

I saw what their Avatar The Last Airbender toy line and they left out half the characters. When I was a kid I always wanted the main set of characters, not deep sea Batman or fifty variants of the same character.
That drove me nuts when I was a kid. Why the hell would a want a toy of a character who wasn't on the show with which I was then obsessed? I like the toys I had precisely because they resembled the characters on the show.

I think the way they ended it was perfect enough. I don't think we're at a point in society where that wouldn't just make conservatives head's explode and be a little much for a kid's show.
Haven't seen it yet, but if they even implied that, pretty ballsy, IMO, and good on them .

I mean, I would have been annoyed if it was going back to Mako as well since, well, this past season has been a complete female empowerment movement that I'm really glad that late teen female viewers can look up to.

Look at how the male characters took a backseat this season. It was all about having powerful female characters and that, for a cartoon, is far more awesome of an achievement.
Great for them to have had a powerful, layered female character as the lead and never have to question it or make it a major plot point. It's well-past time.
Old 12-21-14, 10:16 PM

i guess when Korra goes home to the southern water tribe, she will introduce Asami as her "really good friend" from college.

i think it's a phase and Korra is a LUBF (lesbian until book five)
Old 12-22-14, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138

That drove me nuts when I was a kid. Why the hell would a want a toy of a character who wasn't on the show with which I was then obsessed? I like the toys I had precisely because they resembled the characters on the show.
Ninja Turtles is a perfect example. I wanted the basic normal looking set and there was a time that got hard to find. I just wanted all the characters, surprised they even made an April.

I never wanted Clown Costume Turtles

It was HARD to find the Rogue action figure.
Old 12-22-14, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And I guess you could say the same, does Korra really needs finish the show with a love interest? Isn't that too traditional, even if it's with another woman?.
That's how I see it. If the argument is that the ending is empowering to homosexuals and bisexuals in that it shows that it's perfectly natural and beautiful for two people of the same sex to be in a healthy, romantic relationship, I am 100% in agreement. But to say that it is empowering to women in general simply because the final love interest was not a man is silly. That she needs a love interest at all is antiquated and unintentionally enforces the notion that all her accomplishments are meaningless unless she ends up with someone.
Old 12-22-14, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome! I love the internet.

But yeah, did a little more research yesterday and found out about the shippers, korrasami vs makorra, or something like that. I really don't care either way.

But it would have been sadder if the ending was with Mako. I mean, we have a really strong heroin, that grew a lot in four seasons, a lot of character development, etc. and the final shot is her with a man?
And I guess you could say the same, does Korra really needs finish the show with a love interest? Isn't that too traditional, even if it's with another woman?

But yeah, people were really excited, a lot of "confirmed by the creators" posts, when they were just reposting links.

Finally, although TLA was the better show, I think TLOK will have the bigger impact in the future. I already see people quoting the show in all kind of sites. I mean, not fan sites, for example, the other day in The Verge, in one article about Microsoft or something, one poster quoted the show.
Yeah, The Last Airbender was better and more consistent. It was lighthearted and used comedy a lot more. Korra was darker and more adult toned, especially in this last season.

Ang also seemed to have a better grip on being an avatar. He was virtually unstoppable in the Avatar state. Korra not so much.
Old 12-22-14, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When Aang was in the Avatar State, it always seemed like it wasn't even him, like it was a Jean Grey-Phoenix-type thing.
Old 12-27-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched the finale. It seems to have a lot of fans here, but I have to say I found the series disappointing over all. Like Nickelodeon I only continued with it out of an sense of obligation to the original.
Old 12-27-14, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
I just watched the finale. It seems to have a lot of fans here, but I have to say I found the series disappointing over all. Like Nickelodeon I only continued with it out of an sense of obligation to the original.
is there anything that specifically didn't work for you?

i am only starting to watch the original now, so Korra is my introduction to this world. i saw the second season the same way i viewed the 2nd of The Wire. it expanded the show in a different direction and wasn't nearly as bad as people think (IMO).

i wonder if the creators can put out some straight to vid material or Nick owns the rights and can continue to piss on it.
Old 12-27-14, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
is there anything that specifically didn't work for you?

i am only starting to watch the original now, so Korra is my introduction to this world. i saw the second season the same way i viewed the 2nd of The Wire. it expanded the show in a different direction and wasn't nearly as bad as people think (IMO).

i wonder if the creators can put out some straight to vid material or Nick owns the rights and can continue to piss on it.
There are graphic novels that follow the Aang series. They've put out 3 so far I'm not sure if they'll continue or if they'll do Korra at some point.
Old 12-28-14, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Truthfully, looking back at it as a whole, the second season wasn't bad at all aside from the inconsistent animation styles between the two studios.

It did give us Avatar Wan's story and that alone is worth every mover side story possible or Mako/Korra relationship drama that could be tossed at all.

It also filled in the whole religious zealot angle in this series since the first season was about communism and the third being about anarchy. Having the fourth be called balance and facing fascism was just awesome to round out the whole story of our hero vs. these ideas of what makes a balanced world.
Old 03-15-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got my BD copy of this season and am three episodes in but it's not clicking for me at all. Kuvira is a pretty lame villain (I'm hoping there's more to her than a generic power-hungry twit), the Earth Kingdom prince is annoying in an unfunny way, and I'm not particularly invested in Korra's plight. Usually I can binge through this show with no problem (even when I revisited the problematic second season) but the first three episodes have been a chore to watch and I keep having to force myself to not lose interest.

But then I think the villainous and epic threats peaked in season 2 (which is a shame since that season was very uneven). Even the villains in the excellent third season were only a threat due to artificial conflicts and, after having defeated a being as powerful as Vaatu, should have posed little threat to Korra. Something tells me that when this season is over, I'll have wished they had saved the Raava & Vaatu conflict for the final season instead.
Old 03-16-15, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I am now halfway through the season and thus far it is still not engaging me. About the only sequence I found exciting was Bolin and Varrick getting through the checkpoint. Everything else has been rather meh.

Also, despite my looking forward to the reappearance of Toph, turning her into Yoda was cute until they went overboard with the Dagobah references, (I would have preferred they kept it short and sweet like they did with the Kill Bill: Vol. 1 reference). And I was completely taken out of the episode when they had Toph list out the themes of the previous seasons. That was very hokey.

As for Kuvira versus Korra, that fight went on too long given the lack of tension. You knew Korra was going to lose because she is still as stubborn as a mule and now we have the added mental block BS. All this in an effort to artificially turn Kuvira into more of a threat than she really is. In fact, any of the characters could easily take her out if not for their insistence on hand wringing.

I dunno. For a show called The Legend of Korra, I was expecting her to actually do something legendary. Thus far, the only thing she's done like that was reuniting the Spirit World and the Physical World. Everything else has been filler.
Old 03-16-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There doesn't seem to have been a huge impetus for Varick suddenly growing a conscience. It sort of just happened.
Old 03-17-15, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Varrick's conscience came out of nowhere but since it was established in his humorous soliloquy, I laughed at it and accepted it as the writers acknowledging they pulled it out of thin air.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-17-15 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-17-15, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Whoever first came up with the concept of a clip show episode deserves to be beaten in a public square. Episode 8, Remembrances, has to be the most obnoxious episode in what thus far has been a dreadfully dull season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.