Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Red Band Society (FOX) - Season 1 Thread - Wednesday starting 9/17/14

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 08:29 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Red Band Society (FOX) - Season 1 Thread - Wednesday starting 9/17/14

What if a hospital was your high school, boarding school and summer camp rolled into one? What if it was the place where you fell in love for the first time and made friendships that lasted a lifetime? And what if it was all weirdly hilarious and the most fun you ever had in your entire life? This is the world of RED BAND SOCIETY. From Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television, starring Academy Award-winning actress Octavia Spencer ("The Help," "Fruitvale Station") and based on the award-winning Spanish series, "Polseres Vermelles," RED BAND SOCIETY is a provocative, unconventional and, at times, comic high school drama told through the eyes of a group of teenagers who meet as patients in the pediatric ward of Ocean Park Hospital in Los Angeles. The series is part comedy, part drama, with a tone that's unique unto itself. Twelve-year-old narrator CHARLIE (Griffin Gluck, "Back in the Game," "Private Practice") is in a coma in the hospital. Charlie's friends and fellow patients include JORDI PALACIOS (Nolan Sotillo, "Prom"), a 16-year-old who illegally crosses the Mexican border into California to seek out treatment at the renowned hospital. What he soon discovers is that it's not his illness that's going to change his life, but his new friends. Also at the hospital is LEO ROTH (Charlie Rowe, "Neverland," "Pirate Radio"). At 16, Leo is charismatic and independent. But after living at the hospital for a year, he's starting to lose his way. When he's forced to room with Jordi, he's angry and resentful, until he realizes they are more alike than he could imagine. The pediatric ward is run by NURSE JACKSON (Spencer), a caregiver with a take-no-prisoners approach to getting these kids through the most difficult part of their lives. Overseeing much of the treatment in the ward is DR. JACK McANDREW (Dave Annable, "Brothers & Sisters," "666 Park Avenue"), the country's top pediatric surgeon. Also attending to the patients is the naïve and gullible Nurse BRITTANY DOBLER (newcomer Rebecca Rittenhouse), who allows the kids to get away with things they probably shouldn't. Among those taking advantage of Nurse Dobler is Leo's best friend, DASH HOSNEY (Brian Bradley, aka Astro, "The X Factor"). Suffering from cystic fibrosis, 16-year-old Dash is determined to live every day as if it's his last. Also on the ward is 15-year-old EMMA CHOTA (Ciara Bravo, "Big Time Rush"), Leo's on-again-off-again girlfriend, who suffers from an eating disorder. Rounding out this group of patients is "mean girl" KARA SOUDERS (Zoe Levin, "Arrested Development," "The Way Way Back"), a 16-year-old cheerleader who is brought in with heart failure and shares a room with Charlie. Daring everyone to up their game, she also goes head-to-head with Nurse Jackson. Although many young patients who are seriously ill make complete recoveries, that day seems a long way off for these teens. And as they confront questions of life and death which no one at that age should have to face, a kinship based on these shared experiences is created - a bond represented by the red hospital bands issued to them upon admittance. This is the story of the RED BAND SOCIETY. RED BAND SOCIETY is produced by ABC Studios in association with Amblin Television. The series is executive-produced by Steven Spielberg, Margaret Nagle ("Boardwalk Empire," "The Good Lie"), Justin Falvey ("The Americans," "Falling Skies"), Darryl Frank ("The Americans," "Falling Skies") and Sergio Aguero ("No Reservations," "Y Tu Mama Tambien"). Nagle wrote the pilot and developed the project for American television. Alfonso Gomez-Rejon (GLEE, "American Horror Story") directed the pilot.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Brian Bradley as Dash
· Charlie Rowe as Leo
· Ciara Bravo as Emma
· Dave Annable as Dr. McAndrew
· Griffin Gluck as Charlie
· Nolan Sotillo as Jordi
· Octavia Spencer as Nurse Jackson
· Rebecca Rittenhouse as Nurse Dobler
· Zoe Levin as Kara

CREW INFORMATION:
· Albert Espinosa as CRTR (Original)
· Alfonso Gomez-Rejon as DIR (Pilot)
· Carlos Fernandez as CO-EP
· Darryl Frank as EP
· Julio Fernandez as CO-EP
· Justin Falvey as EP
· Margaret Nagle as CRTR/EP
· Sergio Aguero as EP
· Steven Spielberg as EP
Read more: Listings - RED BAND SOCIETY on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz3DZyfpO2h

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JPEI4CnAC4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Currently scheduled for 13 episode first season
Old 09-17-14, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Red Band Society (FOX) - Season 1 Thread - Wednesday starting 9/17/14

Gonna give it a try....
Old 09-17-14, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm not going to go out of my way to watch this when it airs, but I'll probably watch it on Hulu, mainly because I want to see if the show itself is as horrible as the promo they've been airing. I'm so sick of that nauseating "cut into your soul" line.
Old 09-17-14, 08:40 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like a sad version of Glee. No thanks.
Old 09-17-14, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the pilot. It was ok for the most part. The three male teen characters were fleshed out well enough to make you like and care about them. The mean girl and the other girl weren't too interesting and the mean girl was over the top. I will keep watching to see how things turn out for the characters. Octavia Spencer was well cast as hard but caring nurse.
Old 09-18-14, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Assuming it is not cancelled by the third ep, I am in. The hokey coma kid scene with the mean girl could have made me groan, but ultimately I accepted that this type of scene will show up again on the show.
Old 09-18-14, 08:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A decent start. I'm curious how it will work week-to-work since the premiere seemed to work as a self-contained story. There were elements of "Breakfast Club in a hospital" that I liked. If the show becomes a hit, I'm curious what the long term strategy will be... some of these kids are either going to die or eventually be well enough to leave the hospital. Like how long would a girl with an eating disorder realistically be living in a hospital like that?

Will the producers have the courage to continuously rotate out the cast (except for the adults, of course)? Or will they do what all the other high school shows do and find ways to stretch it out longer than realistically possible?
Old 09-18-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I went to college with the Hot Doc.

Definitely want to check it out though.
Old 09-18-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Your college mate has a hot wife. That's all I have to add.
Old 09-18-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
A decent start. I'm curious how it will work week-to-work since the premiere seemed to work as a self-contained story. There were elements of "Breakfast Club in a hospital" that I liked. If the show becomes a hit, I'm curious what the long term strategy will be... some of these kids are either going to die or eventually be well enough to leave the hospital. Like how long would a girl with an eating disorder realistically be living in a hospital like that?

Will the producers have the courage to continuously rotate out the cast (except for the adults, of course)? Or will they do what all the other high school shows do and find ways to stretch it out longer than realistically possible?
started off with a 1.3 in demos and 4 million viewers. The subject matter just doesn't scream growth potential. It's also an ABC produced show so I don't think Fox will stick with it if the ratings are terrible. We probably won't find out how they will stretch through multiple seasons. FOX is in DEEP trouble because of its own making. Gotham better be a hit and not a genre show.
Old 09-18-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I gave it twenty minutes. I kept thinking it was desperately trying to capture Glee's audience. Feels like something possibly developed for ABC Family and then pitched to other networks.
Old 09-18-14, 02:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I watched it and will probably tune in next week to see how it progresses.
Old 09-18-14, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I gave it twenty minutes. I kept thinking it was desperately trying to capture Glee's audience. Feels like something possibly developed for ABC Family and then pitched to other networks.

I got an ABC Family vibe too. This show is remake of a Spanish show. I think FOX is maybe hoping to reel the teens who liked The Fault In Our Stars book and movie.
Old 09-18-14, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by DRG

Yeah that seemed pretty unrealistic. There are rehab centers for eating disorders. Also coma patients are often moved out of hospitals and into nursing homes. If the show lasts at least season, I can maybe see a storyline in which the girl with the eating disorder is moved out of the hospital.
Old 09-19-14, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I kind of liked it. Surprised the Pilot episode was self contained. It didn't really set up the season. One drawback is the casting of Astro from X Factor. Couldn't stand him and he was annoying here. I didn't really care for the story being told from the perspective of the coma kid. I hope that isn't a permanent element.

I like the comparison of The Breakfast Club in a hospital. Quirky kids with different medical issues who bond. Octavia Spencer is the hardass nurse with a heart of gold. And what is up with Dave Annable being aged to look a lot older?

I saw FOX is running into issues with the poster ads. Some buses pulled them because the text refers to Octavia Spencer as a scary bitch.
Old 09-19-14, 03:49 PM

I looked info on the original Spanish show. On that show, the narrator is a comatose kid and there is only teen girl character on that show and she has an eating disorder. The mean girl character isn't in the original. The Spanish show is supposed to run for four seasons. If this does ok and continues past a season, maybe the American show runner will sort of follow the plans from the original.

Dave Annable's hair is greying quite a bit over the past few years.
Old 09-27-14, 08:05 PM

I watched the second episode, it was solid, but the some of the storylines didn't move too much.
Old 10-02-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I enjoyed the third episode. The show isn't very funny but I like the characters so I'll keep watching. I like that the writers the in a My So-Called Life shout out in this episode. I can't figure out where I've seen the mom before though.
Old 10-05-14, 05:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Just watched the third episode and am enjoying it.

Catalina Sandino Moreno looked fantastic
Old 01-14-15, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Canceled: http://www.eonline.com/news/614638/t...ially-canceled

The remaining three episodes are set to air on Saturdays, starting Saturday, Jan. 31 with a two-hour finale on Saturday, Feb. 7 on Fox.
Old 01-14-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RIP. I like Astro, as I'm not about to hold his petulant behavior as a 14-year-old on The X Factor against him for life. I noticed he was also in A Walk Among The Tombstones (2014) with Liam Neeson (as Brian 'Astro' Bradley). Not bad.

As for the show, it wasn't great, but it was OK. The premise was never going to last long. Hopefully my HTPC will pick up the 3 Saturday episodes.