Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

'Supergirl' Ordered to Series at CBS from Greg Berlanti (Producer of Arrow & Flash)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

'Supergirl' Ordered to Series at CBS from Greg Berlanti (Producer of Arrow & Flash)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Greg Berlanti (Producer of Arrow & Flash) developing Supergirl TV series

However, a Batgirl series doesn't make much sense when there is already a Gotham tv show.
Old 09-05-14, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Audiences won't accept any actress except Helen Slater. Period.
Old 09-05-14, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Audiences won't accept any actress except Helen Slater. Period.
I bet nobody under the age of 30 has even heard of that movie, let alone actually seen it.
Old 09-05-14, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'll one up you and say I bet nobody under the age of 30 has a fucking clue who Helen Slater even is.
Old 09-05-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
However, a Batgirl series doesn't make much sense when there is already a Gotham tv show.
Eh I don't necessarily agree with that. Gotham is going to be a prequel series with Batman characters but is really more of a serialized crime drama than a true Batman series. I think it has potential to be okay for what it is, but I get the feeling it may not live up to the hype and might be lost on casual fans. I'm honestly curious as to whether or not it'll last more than a couple seasons as I think it may underperform after the pilot or a few episodes air but Fox may try and make it work at least a couple seasons.

If they did a Batgirl series it would have to establish that Batman and Robin are around but she's on her own fighting crime. I think it'd work well because they could potentially use Batman villains and maybe even throw members of the Bat Family in now and again.
Old 09-05-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
I bet nobody under the age of 30 has even heard of that movie, let alone actually seen it.
I'll one up you and say I bet nobody under the age of 30 has a fucking clue who Helen Slater even is.
Millennials have adopted Helen Slater as a cultural icon, much like Generation X took to Karen Black and Baby Boomers flocked to Mary Wickes.
Old 09-05-14, 08:05 PM
Banned

Millennials have adopted Helen Slater as a cultural icon, much like Generation X took to Karen Black and Baby Boomers flocked to Mary Wickes.
You have a citation to back that up? I have never once heard any young person mention Helen Slater.

Old 09-05-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair, her endearing popularity would have been much better publicized had the Helen Slater Appreciation Society not been sued out of existence by Sammy Hagar and Neil Schon

Talk about a reference no one under 30 would get...
Old 09-05-14, 08:25 PM
Banned

To be fair, her endearing popularity would have been much better publicized had the Helen Slater Appreciation Society not been sued out of existence by Sammy Hagar and Neil Schon

I'm over 30, and I don't get it.
Old 09-05-14, 10:03 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Great, another superhero show I won't watch.
Old 09-05-14, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Old 09-06-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a surprisingly decent album. "Missin' You" was a killer tune.
Old 09-06-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've always thought Amber Heard would make a perfect Supergirl, though I imagine it would be tough for a network to get her on a television show unless they threw serious money at her.
I would watch it.
Spoiler:
Old 09-19-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Variety
CBS Gives Series Commitment to Greg Berlanti and Ali Adler’s ‘Supergirl’
September 19, 2014 | 09:00AM PT Whitney Friedlander

CBS has donned its cape and is ready to conquer the superhero market, giving a series commitment to scribes Greg Berlanti and Ali Adler’s “Supergirl.”

“Supergirl,” which is based on characters from DC Comics, comes from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television and is exec produced by Berlanti, Adler and Sarah Schechter. It’s based on the story of Kara Zor-El, who, like her famous cousin, escaped Krypton amid its destruction. She’s been keeping her powers a secret since arriving on Earth, but now — at age 24 — she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.

The project gained much fanfare when news broke of its development earlier this month. Berlanti, who has seen success with the superhero genre with his CW show “Arrow” and, presumably also with its upcoming spinoff “The Flash,” has stated that he understands there’s a dearth of female-led shows of this genre, telling Variety “we’re well past due for those kind of characters in film and TV.”

With this purchase, CBS has ensured that all the broadcast channels are either airing or developing a show based on comicbook characters. Aside from Berlanti’s CW properties, ABC has “Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD” and its upcoming female-led spinoff “Agent Carter.” Fox and NBC are unspooling “Gotham” and “Constantine” this season, respectively — both of which are based on DC characters. This winter, the CW will also unveil “iZombie,” a procedural based on a title from DC’s Vertigo imprint. Fox also recently gave a put pilot commitment to “Lucifer,” which also sources material from Vertigo.

Cable and digital markets are also getting into the act, with TNT offering a pilot production order for “Titans,” which is based on younger characters in DC’s universe, and Netflix partnering with Marvel on a hefty package that includes four shows based on different characters from that universe and a crossover miniseries. Still, the most successful current show of the genre is AMC’s “The Walking Dead,” which is based on an Image Comics series and continues to break ratings records for the channel.
Old 09-19-14, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

So how many superhero shows do we need? Is this going to be like the reality/game show boom of the 00s?
Old 09-19-14, 12:22 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Cbs?
Old 09-19-14, 12:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Match
I would watch it.
Spoiler:
hell yeah. love Amber!
Old 09-19-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
I'm 29 and I saw that Supergirl movie as a kid and I remember The Legend of Billie Jean another Helen Slater movie which was aired a lot on cable channels in the 90s for some reason.
Old 09-19-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Gizmo
So how many superhero shows do we need? Is this going to be like the reality/game show boom of the 00s?
The boom will last a few more years and then interest will dip off a bit like how interest and demand for vampire shows is lessening right now.
Old 09-19-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

There's no way DC will allow Superman as a character on this, and probably not be able to reference him as an off-screen character. So how can you do this without completely mucking up her origin story?
Old 09-19-14, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Really surprised that CBS gave this a series commitment with no pilot and no one cast yet. I read the episode order is bigger than Gotham (which got 16 episodes)

I'm willing to bet WB and CBS will hire David Nutter to direct this. He directed the Pilots for Smallville, Arrow and Flash. He also directed a bunch of episodes of Superboy. He is money for getting a quality Pilot on air.
Old 09-19-14, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

If this thread just becomes posts of sexy women photo-shopped into Supergirl costumes, you will hear no complaints from Count Dooku.
Old 09-19-14, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
There's no way DC will allow Superman as a character on this, and probably not be able to reference him as an off-screen character. So how can you do this without completely mucking up her origin story?
CBS would not have signed on if they couldn't use Superman's IP. This won't be Powergirl, the sole survivor of Xenon or something. It wouldn't surprise me if they do something creative, like have her frequently talk with her more famous cousin over the phone.

Lazy network executives out there, if you can't at least match a costume and casting like this one, the show will fail:

It had to be doctored since Smallville had a distinct aversion to the real Superman insignia. If Smallville was getting made today, Clark would have become Superboy by season three with an actual costume. He would have flown by episode ten.
Old 09-20-14, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, it's like the 90's. AOL and MSPaint all over again.
Old 09-22-14, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I hope that today's leak of many nude pics does not prevent CBS from considering Amber Heard for the role.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.