Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

'Supergirl' Ordered to Series at CBS from Greg Berlanti (Producer of Arrow & Flash)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

'Supergirl' Ordered to Series at CBS from Greg Berlanti (Producer of Arrow & Flash)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts
Re: Greg Berlanti (Producer of Arrow & Flash) developing Supergirl TV series

Here is the reported synopsis pitched to CBS:

The report revealed that the Supergirl TV show would be an hour-long drama centering on Kara Zor-El, Superman's cousin, who was born on the planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she has been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.
Old 10-01-14, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
There's no way DC will allow Superman as a character on this, and probably not be able to reference him as an off-screen character. So how can you do this without completely mucking up her origin story?
I don't remember the movie showing us superman at all. Of course given how poorly he movie did maybe it's not the best example...
Old 10-01-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't remember the movie showing us superman at all. Of course given how poorly he movie did maybe it's not the best example...
The Supergirl movie references Superman and shows Kara's poster of the Christopher Reeve Superman. He definitely existed in that continuity. As I've said, they can't do this show without some kind of appearance by Clark Kent at the very least. They would likely get permission for him to be an off-screen character we hear through telephone calls or something.

Supergirl being 24 in this series opens up all sorts of questions, like how they are going to handle her dating life?
Old 10-30-14, 02:06 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Casting is now underway — courtesy of the same folks who populated Arrow and The Flash — for CBS’ Supergirl series, and TVLine has details on exactly what (and who) the DC Comics-based drama is looking for in two of its lead roles.

For Kara Zor-El aka Kara Danvers, the show is eyeing Caucasian females, age 22 to 26, to play 24. As the series’ mythology goes, Kara at age 12 was sent from her dying home planet of Krypton to Earth, where she was taken in by the Danvers, a foster family who taught her to be careful with her extraordinary powers. After repressing said skills for more than a decade, Kara is forced to bust out her super moves in public during an unexpected disaster. Energized by her heroism for the first time in her life, she begins embracing her abilities in the name of helping the people of her city, earning herself a super moniker along the way.

The other lead role currently being cast is that of 26-year-old Alexandra “Alex” Danvers, Kara’s gorgeous, brilliant, science-minded foster sister. Growing up, Alex was partly jealous of her sibling yet also fascinated by her abilities, prompting Alex to learn as much as she could about alien anthropology, sociology and culture. Today, Alex works for a secret government organization and, alongside her heroic sis, will face many challenges, both mundane and super.

The Supergirl pilot was penned by Ali Adler (No Ordinary Family) and Greg Berlanti (Arrow), both of whom will exec-produce alongside Sarah Schechter (of Berlanti Productions) and Warner Bros. TV.
http://tvline.com/2014/10/30/supergi...w-cbs-casting/
Old 10-30-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Yes, let's not confuse Kara Danvers with Carol Danvers.
Old 10-30-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm, so they really are doing this in a world without Superman? And she grew up with a jealous, scientifically minded "Lex"?
Old 10-30-14, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I trust the people behind this pitch since they've worked so well on Flash and Arrow, but that synopsis sounds terrible. A spy sister? Why pick the one civilian identity, Linda Danvers, that the fewest people even liked and had the briefest run?

The fewer elements of Superman's mythos they adhere to, the less I will feel compelled to watch.
Old 10-30-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Yes, let's not confuse Kara Danvers with Carol Danvers.
The Danvers surname has been associated with Supergirl for years now.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Why pick the one civilian identity, Linda Danvers, that the fewest people even liked and had the briefest run?.
Probably because if the show were aimed at the roughly three people who remembered that identity in the first place, it'd never make it past pilot stage.
Old 11-27-14, 10:42 AM

In a recent interview with EW, Berlanti revealed that he's currently working on the show with producer Ali Adler and costume designer Colleen Atwood, and that he's hoping to bring Supergirl into The Flash and Arrow’s world.

In regards to his plans with Supergirl:

“Later in the afternoon at his other office on the Warner Bros. lot, Berlanti meets with fellow producer Ali Adler and Oscar-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood to go over looks for their upcoming revamp of Supergirl. The show will follow 24-year-old Kara Zor-El, Superman’s cousin, and with a twist that that could melt fanboy brains, Berlanti says it’s possible this Supergirl could enter the worlds of Arrow and The Flash.”

There’s that shared universe concept that a lot of us of are divided on; I would say in this case that it might benefit all parties involved to have that female addition. Last month we learned that the Supergirl show will include Kara Zor-El, aka Kara Danvers, and Alexandra “Alex” Danvers, and now Berlanti has hinted about what happens to the title character in the pilot episode:

“The events of the pilot get her to finally emerge as the true hero she was meant to be.”

It should be noted that even though Supergirl is on a different network, the CW is co-owned by CBS, so it wouldn't be as much of a stretch to have Supergirl appear when necessary. They're moving pretty fast by the sounds of things so expect to see something from Supergirl in 2015.
Read more at http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/the-...Vco40uDlkh0.99
Old 11-27-14, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

That would be cool, yet weird to have a character from a different network show cross over to Arrow and Flash. But, I'm guessing The CW and CBS suits would need to approve such a move.

Also, being on CBS, I'm sure they will get a bigger budget than The CW, although The Flash's budget is pretty impressive so far.
Old 11-27-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Crossovers promote the other shows, so I don't see it being an issue. Suits like money.
Old 01-05-15, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Supposedly they are considering some british model named Gemma Atkinson. If you google her, you will get mostly lingerie pics, which is a good thing, but be warned if you look her up at work. She would make a good Power Girl, that's for sure.
Old 01-05-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be tempted to mute the volume if she got casted as Supergirl...

"I'll be in my bunk..."
Old 01-05-15, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Supposedly they are considering some british model named Gemma Atkinson. If you google her, you will get mostly lingerie pics, which is a good thing, but be warned if you look her up at work. She would make a good Power Girl, that's for sure.
She was in a teen soap in the UK called Hollyoaks about 10 years ago. I hope her acting skills have improved since then as she was terrible. Although given some of the images you see these days a lot of people may not care about that.
Old 01-05-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Maxflier
She's insanely popular in the UK, she is like their version of Pamela Anderson. That would be an interesting casting. The producers certainly aren't taking any chances, it looks like they are consciously aiming for an international actress to assure Supergirl's spot on foreign television.
Old 01-05-15, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I'm, uh, familiar with Ms. Atkinson's work, ahem, work. I can get behind this casting.
Old 01-05-15, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
She's insanely popular in the UK, she is like their version of Pamela Anderson.
I personally wouldn't go that far. She did well for herself in the mid to late 2000s but has been pretty quiet since then.
Old 01-05-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they're trying for some controversy, considering that she's 30 with a 34E? There're probably those who might think her not the best fit for Supergirl.

The Powergirl suggestion would seem a much better fit, and might make more sense considering how much of the Superman mythos they seem to want to include.
Old 01-12-15, 12:55 PM

CBS has yet to cast its Supergirl, but the network gave some tantalizing details about what the network’s entry into the super-hero genre will be like.

Appearing at the Television Critics Association’s semi-annual press tour in Pasadena on Monday, CBS entertainment chairman Nina Tassler was pressed for details about Supergirl, while critics also wondered why the network swooped in and grabbed the show rather than putting the series on its sister network, the super-hero-stuffed The CW.

First, since Supergirl is on CBS, you can definitely expect the show to be a crime procedural. Yet Tassler emphasized the show will have serialized elements as well. “There will be cases, but what [executive producers] Ali Adler and Greg Berlanti pitched was a real series arc for her,” she said. “The beauty of it is now with shows like Good Wife and Madam Secretary, you can have serialized story elements woven into a case of the week. She’s a crime solver, so she’s going to have to solve a crime. She’s going to get a bad guy.”

Tassler described the CBS version of the DC Comics icon as “a very strong, independent young woman. She’s coming into her own. She’s dealing with family issues. She’s dealing with work issues. It’s a female empowerment story. If you look at the strong female characters we have on the air, it really is resonant of that … We’re big feminists. It’s her intellect, it’s her skill, it’s her smarts. It’s all of those elements. It’s not just her strength, which she does have.”

CBS has been searching for the perfect actress for several weeks and sources say the network is leaning toward a lesser-known performer for the role. Tassler emphasized the actress has to carry the series. “She’s got to be an every woman,” she said. “She’s got to be specific. She’s got to be a terrific actor. I think back to having had the good fortune of being at Warner Bros. when we were doing Lois & Clark, the chemistry between Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher was really wonderful. So I think in this case, it’s looking for someone who embodies both the freshness and the exuberance of being a young woman in today’s challenging climate and being someone who can carry this kind of series on her shoulders. It’s a big, big show.”

Though there’s no actress announced yet, CBS has a costume design ready to go — one that Tassler was most definitely excited about. “We have seen the costume,” she said. “Awesome costume.” Tassler added that the costume was being made by Oscar winner Colleen Atwood, who also did the costumes for Arrow and The Flash.

And speaking of which, reporters also wanted to know what made the young-ish super-powered character a good fit for CBS — especially when sister-network The CW has made youthful DC heroes a major part of its brand. “I think we’re watching an evolution with regard to the way that superhero characters are portrayed,” Tassler said. “There’s a humanity. They’re flawed. There’s a relatability. For our network right now, what we did respond to was the character’s humanity, the other characters in the show as well — the story trajectory and the character’s arc and growth. These are all things that made her just imminently relatable, and made the story exciting. We made a decision based on the pitch that we heard.”

Earlier during the press tour, The CW’s president Mark Pedowitz was asked if he was dismayed that CBS landed the big title instead of his own network. Not surprisingly, the executive said he was fine with it. “I’m happy for [Warner Bros.] that they were able to sell it to CBS. We were aware of it. We knew about it … You don’t want to become just one thing to everybody. So it’s good to have some diversity, and I’m very happy that they sold it to another network.”

Pedowitz added that he wouldn’t rule out the possibility of a crossover between his DC titles like Arrow and The Flash.

Supergirl has a series commitment but no premiere date yet, but next fall is a good bet.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/12/supergirl/
Old 01-12-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If they want to do a crime procedural, why not just do Batgirl instead of Supergirl? Or something like Martian Manhunter, where his alter ego is a detective. Heck, it seems like at least half of DC have some kind of police background in their alter ego, but Supergirl?
Old 01-12-15, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's harder to have a Batgirl show without Batman around, than it is to have a Supergirl show without Superman around. Batman is strictly verboten on television, the film division won't even allow his name mentioned on television.
Old 01-22-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/22/su...lissa-benoist/

Supergirl has been cast

Melissa Benoist

She recently guest starred in Glee.
Old 01-22-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

She looks nice. Don't know anything about the actress or her acting chops, but she looks nice.

She was in Whiplash; I'm watching that this weekend, so let's see how that turns out.
Old 01-22-15, 01:19 PM

Hmmm. I liked her in her brief role in Whiplash. Don't really know about her for this? I trust the producers of the show, so we'll see. Bust out the hair dye.
Old 01-22-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was wondering where I heard that name before, and then I remembered there may have been some leaks...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.