Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Utopia (FOX) -- New Reality Social Experiment Series -- Premieres 9/7/14

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: Utopia (FOX) -- New Reality Social Experiment Series -- Premieres 9/7/14

The second episode is pure comedy gold, people should give it a second chance. It also features the first sexual encounter on the show.
Old 09-10-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Geez, I wonder if they regret cancelling X-Factor now. As crappy as that show's ratings got by last season, it was still doing much better than Utopia and was probably cheaper to make, too.
I was wondering the same thing. You shouldn't cancel shows these days that 6 million people tune in to watch.
Old 09-10-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

This show is a train wreck. I have got to believe they seeded it with some plants as I cannot believe the convict or the red neck would act like that and people don't kick them out already. Then again, there isn't much survival if they can dial out for food and most of the women are more concerned about their right to be naked instead of food/shelter/comforts.
They need to turn this into adult nation "Lord of the Flies" show with factions and raids.
Old 09-10-14, 08:57 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I was wondering the same thing. You shouldn't cancel shows these days that 6 million people tune in to watch.
No regret. It's ratings would be even lower this year had Fox renewed it.
Old 09-10-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://deadline.com/2014/09/dana-wa...hollow-832179/

Dana Walden and Gary Newman, the new CEOs at FOX, claim they like it & are at least in the press supporting it. But then again, this show wasn't developed by them. They probably just have to say that since FOX is paying a $50M bill for it and it's looking like an expensive reality disaster.

DEADLINE: The first new series of the fall season just premiered, Fox’s Utopia. What do you think of the launch and the show’s future?

WALDEN: We really like the show a lot. (Producer) Talpa and (Fox head of reality) Simon Andreae and his team have done really a fantastic job. Having not been exposed much to it before we got to the company we now have been immersed in the world of Utopia. It’s a fantastic idea to take the storytelling form in reality that is familiar and yet give it a very unique twist. The notion of creating Utopia, of creating a new society, populating a world of pioneers who all have different points of view in terms of politics, civil liberties, sexual identity, you name it. The conversation, the debate has been so interesting on the show.

It’s really hard to evaluate the performance (of Utopia) without looking at the three-day numbers because we are learning very quickly that that is the story, along with the seven-day and ultimately how all of this rolls up in 30 days. That’s the full story. Our viewers are watching our programming in a very different manner, and the metrics — as everyone very well knows — they haven’t really caught up to how viewers are consuming television right now. So Gary and I would call (the Sunday premiere) a solid start, and we are excited about the show.
Old 09-11-14, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRG
Geez, I wonder if they regret cancelling X-Factor now. As crappy as that show's ratings got by last season, it was still doing much better than Utopia and was probably cheaper to make, too.
They should have bought the rights to air the UK version here. I have been watching it on the AXS channel and it's way more watchable than the US version ever was.
Old 09-11-14, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should have done more of a Naked and Afraid type of thing. Put a group of survivalists together with limited supplies and gear and see if they can survive a year in a remote, isolated location without any outside assistance. If they are successful, then they win a bunch of money. The setup for Utopia is stupid. They have money and a phone and can call out for groceries and takeout whenever they like. Seriously? What exactly is their objective anyway? Right now the whole show is just watching a bunch of unbalanced morons argue with one another and throw the occasional temper tantrum while they meander about on Utopia farm.
Old 09-11-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joliom
They should have done more of a Naked and Afraid type of thing. Put a group of survivalists together with limited supplies and gear and see if they can survive a year in a remote, isolated location without any outside assistance. If they are successful, then they win a bunch of money. The setup for Utopia is stupid. They have money and a phone and can call out for groceries and takeout whenever they like. Seriously? What exactly is their objective anyway? Right now the whole show is just watching a bunch of unbalanced morons argue with one another and throw the occasional temper tantrum while they meander about on Utopia farm.
They had that show, it was called The Colony. It was pretty good for a reality show, though it was more concerned with building things than managing society.
Old 09-11-14, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Colony was great.

I'll watch this. Just sit back and enjoy the cast of extremely stereotypical people shout at each other for a couple hours a week. I definitely enjoyed it more than I ever enjoyed the X Factor.
Old 09-12-14, 12:23 AM

I mentioned The Colony in one of my previous posts. That was a great show. The only thing I didn't like was the pretend battles with the raiders. They could have done without that bit. Incidentally, for anyone who might be interested, Netflix Streaming currently has both seasons of The Colony available to watch.
Old 09-12-14, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I watched both seasons of The Colony and enjoyed them both.

The first season was made up almost entirely of people with know-how both theoretical and practical. It was interesting to see how they got everything to work.

The second season had a greater cross-section with a lot of regular people as well as those with special skills. There were more arguments, but everyone was still making a serious effort at surviving a pandemic viral outbreak. Neither group tolerated slackers.
Old 09-12-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Most reality shows tend to screen out psychotically unstable people.............. I think this show is the opposite
yeah after poking around and watching parts of the first few eps I really think FOX was rolling the dice on a conflict angle. The opening part of the show mentions 5000+ people applied to be on the show and you figure they had to personality test everyone that made it to the final "maybe" pool of people.

sooooo out of 5,000+ people they just happen to get a ton of "I snap to anger and act out" personality on the show? For a show based around around people all working together.

I think they were hoping for some juicy viral hype over some in show conflicts so they stacked up the deck to make sure it happened. Yet rather then ending up with a bunch of tiny rabble rabble issues they ended up with a train wreck..

and IMO a pretty boring one to watch.. Hey look the angry person can't get along with the other angry person and the now drunk jerk is acting like a drunk jerk. Oh shock the tiny dude with a chip on his shoulder is trying to yell down the dunk guy.. yawn..
Old 09-13-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This show is dead to me. In a bewildering group of scenes edited together by a hamster, the convict walked off the show and then was permanently banished. The remaining group wouldn't let him back in, except to have a baptism for twenty minutes. Considering he was the only source of entertainment, this show is teetering on the edge.

They got a couple of new cast members already, though both women seemed like cast members that wouldn't stick out too much.

I find it so funny they list that one woman on the show as "polyamorous" whenever she appears, like it's her job. Apparently the lawyer and her are becoming romantic.
Old 09-13-14, 08:20 PM

It's almost always a mistake to stunt cast a show like this. Half the time the conflicts they shoot for don't materialize. And even when they do, it's not enough to sustain the audience's interest for very long. There are too many other options if you just want to watch a bunch of moronic borderlines yell and scream at one another and have histrionic meltdowns. A show like this only works if the audience identifies with a bunch of the cast members and gets invested in their challenge/struggle. If they had cast 10 normal people with useful skill sets, they could have filled out the rest of the cast with the usual volatile idiots. At least then there would be people to root for amongst all the contrived reality show chaos and conflict. Right now, I find them all annoying, just some more so than others.
Old 09-14-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lawyer-I am better suited to be in government rather than working like everyone else.

Too true. He would be one of the first to be put up against the wall and shot when the revolution comes.

Actually, they should combine this show with Under the Dome. Idiocy cubed.
Old 09-14-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The lawyer being in it makes no sense, because anyone with a law degree can make a more reliable income from their profession than hoping to hit it rich as a reality celebrity. I wonder what his real story is? The others obviously are reality wannabes, with lots of free time on their hands.
Old 09-14-14, 07:11 PM

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

The lawyer being in it makes no sense, because anyone with a law degree can make a more reliable income from their profession than hoping to hit it rich as a reality celebrity. I wonder what his real story is? The others obviously are reality wannabes, with lots of free time on their hands.
You haven't been playing attention to the current job market for lawyers. It's not pretty unless you like document reviews for near minimum wage.
Old 09-14-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kdogg
You haven't been playing attention to the current job market for lawyers. It's not pretty unless you like document reviews for near minimum wage.
I think this guy had a law degree from one of the Ivy schools, he wasn't some piker from a state school. He did mention politics, it's possible he intends to use this publicity as a platform for his political career.
Old 09-14-14, 08:01 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe he just woke up one day and realized that he was a lawyer and that his life sucked ass.
Old 09-14-14, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I find it so funny they list that one woman on the show as "polyamorous" whenever she appears, like it's her job.
Good point.

Dedeker
Trollop
Old 09-14-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Utopia's executive producer picked four pioneers to watch in an interview with TV Guide (yes, it still exists).

Two of his picks were Dave and Bella... you won't believe how he described them...

Excerpts:

Dave - "He's very charismatic and I think he'll be ingenious when it comes to being an entrepreneur."

Bella - she's listed as a former beauty queen and head of a marketing company - now for the quotes about her...

"She's got an incredibly diverse set of skills, and one of her hobbies is prepping. She knows how to survive in the wild, has a real tough side to her, but is utterly charming, funny, engaging and warm. She's got a lot more resources than just her looks."

What planet was he on when he interviewed these people??

The other two "to watch" were Mike (the lawyer) and the pregnant woman.
Old 09-14-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bella is the hippie survivalist infatuated with the carpenter. I don't even know who Dave is by name alone.
Old 09-14-14, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bella is the hippie survivalist infatuated with the carpenter. I don't even know who Dave is by name alone.
Dave was the charismatic and ingenious ex-con.
Old 09-14-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Dave is the ex-con (and ex-Utopian) who likes "soups".
Old 09-15-14, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by leeta
Utopia's executive producer picked four pioneers to watch in an interview with TV Guide (yes, it still exists).

Two of his picks were Dave and Bella... you won't believe how he described them...

Excerpts:

Dave - "He's very charismatic and I think he'll be ingenious when it comes to being an entrepreneur."

Bella - she's listed as a former beauty queen and head of a marketing company - now for the quotes about her...

"She's got an incredibly diverse set of skills, and one of her hobbies is prepping. She knows how to survive in the wild, has a real tough side to her, but is utterly charming, funny, engaging and warm. She's got a lot more resources than just her looks."

What planet was he on when he interviewed these people??

The other two "to watch" were Mike (the lawyer) and the pregnant woman.
So out of a group of emotionally unstable obnoxious morons, he picks the two most unstable, obnoxious and moronic cast members as his "two to watch"? That just lends more credence to my speculation about the way they went about casting this mess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.