Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Wizard Wars (SyFy) - Series Discussion Thread - Magician Competition

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-14, 08:43 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Wizard Wars (SyFy) - Series Discussion Thread - Magician Competition

Syfy debuts an exciting new six-episode competition series, Wizard Wars, on Tuesday, August 19 at 10 p.m. ET/PT, introducing bright and innovative young magicians who must impress judges Penn & Teller with mind-blowing, original magic using only a random assortment of everyday objects. Innovation takes center stage as the magicians transform objects such as dog treats, leaf blowers, a pirate's costume and garden gnomes into engaging magic performances before a live audience. Each episode begins with two teams of magicians going head-to-head with a limited amount of time to create an original routine. The winning team will then enter "The Wizard War" and compete against the expert "home team" of world-renowned "Wizards" to battle it out for bragging rights, and a $10,000 prize. Two-time World Championship of Magic winner Gregory Wilson, Wynn Resort resident magician Shimshi, YouTube sensation and contemporary street illusionist Justin Flom, and internationally renowned mentalist Angela Funovits will compete as the home team. These masterful performers and magic creators cover every discipline in magic from sleight of hand to large-scale stage illusion. Joining the legendary Penn & Teller on the judging panel is the 2012 winner of BBC's The Magicians, Jason Latimer, and popular web host Christen Gerhart .

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Angela Funovits as Expert
· Christen Gerhart as Judge
· Gregory Wilson as Expert
· Jason Latimer as Judge
· Justin Flom as Expert
· Penn & Teller as Judge
· Shimshi as Expert

CREW INFORMATION:
· Arthur Smith as EP
· Frank Sinton as EP
· Kent Weed as EP
· Penn & Teller as EP
· Tim Eagan as EP

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TGhxlAZ0qrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-20-14, 02:40 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Wizard Wars (SyFy) - Series Discussion Thread - Magician Competition

The behind the scenes brainstorming bits are sort of pointless since they can't show anything interesting (that would give away how the tricks are done).
Old 08-20-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

A couple of criticisms with the format. The judges were uniformly too positive. There was some stuff that could have been criticized but it felt like the judges were told to keep it positive. There is a reason why most talent shows have one nasty judge everyone loves to hate.

The second complaint is that I don't like the judges making the final call between acts. The choices seemed arbitrary for the most part and at least when audience voting determines it, you have a more objective feel.

I gave it one shot but talent reality shows are not my thing, I doubt I will watch another episode.
Old 08-21-14, 05:33 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

magic on TV is.... underwhelming to say the least.
Old 01-24-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Anyone know if there will be more episodes or did Syfy cancel this? I've been slowly watching these and only have 1 more episode left on my DVR.
Old 01-24-16, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Anyone know if there will be more episodes or did Syfy cancel this? I've been slowly watching these and only have 1 more episode left on my DVR.
I think it was a one-off show. Syfy often runs these reality shows as filler programming.
Old 01-24-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
The behind the scenes brainstorming bits are sort of pointless since they can't show anything interesting (that would give away how the tricks are done).
There were two "seasons" of the show, with some slight rule changes for the second season. The episodes were shot back-to-back over three days, and the contestants were given information in advance of the competition so that they could prepare their acts. The magicians were provided help from magic consultants and builders.

I preferred this show to the Penn and Teller show on the CW.

Last edited by DWilson; 01-24-16 at 09:45 PM.