Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Why is there not anymore good sitcoms??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Why is there not anymore good sitcoms??

Originally Posted by northmoor
I agree and have also wondered why there do not seem to be any current sitcoms that are in the category of some of the ones I really enjoyed through the years: Andy Griffith, Leave It To Beaver, Gomer Pyle, hogan's Heroes, All In The Family, Happy Days, M.A.S.H., Taxi, Cheers, Friends, Seinfeld, .... to name some. Are there any current sitcoms that people would rank with those?
They aren't really current, but from the last decade I loved Arrested Development and Curb Your Enthusiasm. But those aren't family shows.
Old 08-19-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I agree that the quality of sitcoms has gone downhill and what's more, ones which show some promise (e.g. i thought Friends with Better lives) get cancelled very early on

Doesn't help that you have rubbish like Anger Management with a 70 episode season
Happy Endings
Old 08-19-14, 11:16 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

The Middle is a "good" sitcom with no laugh track. Same with The Goldbergs.

I no longer watch shows with laugh tracks so...yeah. Watch those two above.
Old 08-19-14, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
You're not going to find anything like Growing Pains, Who's the Boss, Step by Step or Diff'rent Strokes on TV nowadays. That "family friendly" type comedy has come and gone.

Most nowadays don't seem to enjoy those multi-camera 90's style sitcoms anymore.
All of those except Step by Step are from the 1970s through mid-1980s, not the 1990s.
Originally Posted by j.j. smith
Two and a half men was good with Charlie.
Sorry, but no. Two and a Half Men is and was one if the dumbest shows on TV, and I certainly don't see how it's family friendly.

There are plenty of good sitcoms on if you look around. Off the top of my head: Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, Parks and Rec, Louie, Community, New Girl, It's Always Sunny, Brooklyn Nine- Nine, Mike and Molly, and the recently departed Raising Hope.
Old 08-20-14, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do like some of the family type sitcoms that are on basic cable channels like Disney, Nick, and ABC Family. Those sitcoms aren't extremely great, but they are ok shows to watch if you DVR them.

I grew up in the 90s and I was a fan of the TGIF sitcoms. After watching reruns years later of those shows, the shows that weren't too cheesy were Step by Step and Boy Meets World. Home Improvement wasn't apart of the TGIF lineup, but it was a decent family type sitcom. The same goes for Blossom on NBC.

I think they are a lot of great adult geared sitcoms these days as others have mentioned here. I do find laugh track sitcoms a bit annoying these days. I know some people who can't get into and don't like single camera/non-laugh track sitcoms like Parks and Rec, Community, etc.
Old 08-20-14, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
There are plenty of good sitcoms on if you look around. Off the top of my head: Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, Parks and Rec, Louie, Community, New Girl, It's Always Sunny, Brooklyn Nine- Nine, Mike and Molly, and the recently departed Raising Hope.
These are decent, but none have characters that I would really miss once they are gone.

The last great sitcom for me was That 70's show.
Actually also Scrubs. It's a pity the last season did not do well, I liked the new cast actually.
Old 08-20-14, 08:26 AM

Ive never watched the big bang theory, or any of those liberal shows!! Its time for some one to discover some fresh talent, and doesn't have to be a stand up comedic guy, got to be something out there!!
Old 08-20-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
These are decent, but none have characters that I would really miss once they are gone.

The last great sitcom for me was That 70's show.
Actually also Scrubs. It's a pity the last season did not do well, I liked the new cast actually.
I think Modern Family is pretty great, or has been in the past, but it isn't a traditional sitcom. That 70s Show was and was also excellent.

But when you look at what sells these days (TBBT is #1, and before that Two and a Half Men was.), there's a reason why they aren't trying anymore. Terrible sells.
Old 08-20-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to wander, but not anymore.
Old 08-20-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I agree that the quality of sitcoms has gone downhill and what's more, ones which show some promise (e.g. i thought Friends with Better lives) get cancelled very early on.
Two of the only recent sitcoms I committed to were Friends with Better Lives and Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23 (neither family-friendly and yes, both with the Beek). Both canceled, of course, though at least B got a second season.

Doesn't help that you have rubbish like Anger Management with a 70 episode season
I recall that there were unusual circumstances with that show and the Sheen contract.
Old 08-20-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Not really, it's a 10/90 which is becoming popular. They give the show 10 episodes, and if they want to keep it they do a 90 episode second season.
Old 08-20-14, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Modern family, the goldbergs and the Big Bang theory are all very funny network sitcoms IMHO.

Veep and Silicon Valley are really funny on hbo

Louie, although not a traditional sitcom by any stretch, has some very funny moments

The old school sitcoms can be found on disney channel with shows like good luck charlie and nick at night originals...

Tbs has been trying its hand at that sitcom factory as well, but can't evaluate it as I have not watched any of them..,
Old 08-20-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The grammar in this thread title... I can't even...
Old 08-20-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The grammar in this thread title... I can't even...
I'm an English-lit major Grammar Nazi, imagine how I feel .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 08-20-14 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-20-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Ive never watched the big bang theory, or any of those liberal shows!!
You do realize BBT is by the same guy that made Two and a Half Men, which you praised...right?

I'll probably regret this but what does politics have to do with it?
Old 08-20-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I guess im use to the taxi's, cheers', happy days and wings!!
Take me through the process. Why would you use an apostrophe on "taxi's" and "cheers'" but not on "happy day's" or "wing's"? Or not on "im" for that matter?
Old 08-20-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
Not really, it's a 10/90 which is becoming popular. They give the show 10 episodes, and if they want to keep it they do a 90 episode second season.
Clearly I'm not keeping up on cable sitcoms.

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'm an English-lot major Grammar Nazi, imagine how I feel .
Especially after typo-ing in your own response?
Old 08-20-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'll probably regret this but what does politics have to do with it?
And down the rabbit hole we go. I'm strapping in.
Old 08-20-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never watched the big bang theory, or any of those liberal shows!!
What, specifically, makes "The Big Bang Theory" a "liberal" show in your mind? Or any of the other shows I listed?

Let me guess: The title "The Big Bang Theory" implies God did not create the universe, plus the show features [i[scientists![/i] And, of course, "Modern Family" has two gay characters.

Now please explain how Parks and Rec, Louie, Community, New Girl, It's Always Sunny, Brooklyn Nine-Nine or Mike and Molly are too "liberal" for you.
Old 08-20-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Can I be the first to welcome wmlopez's newest incarnation ?
Old 08-20-14, 11:46 AM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Yesterday I decided to start watching through my Happy Days dvd sets. (I have seasons 1 and 4).

(When I was younger, I only really watched it in daily reruns and some of the first-run episodes of the latter seasons in the early 1980's).

Watching through some season 4 episodes, it looks familiar. (IIRC, season 4 covered the main characters' senior year in high school). Back in the day, I really liked watching the Fonz's antics.

When I watched through a few season 1 episodes, it seemed like a very different tv show. At first, I thought it looked like a tv version of "American Graffiti". It didn't really have much of the Fonz's crazy antics. (I don't remember seeing any of these early episodes in reruns back in the day).

Now that I think about it, the "Happy Days" that I remember fondly of, were the seasons/episodes AFTER the characters were finished high school. (ie. After the "jump the shark" episode). I remember the reruns being essentially like the "Fonz show" except in name.
Old 08-20-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I just think Comedy in general hasn't gotten worse in the past 10-15 years. Whether it is movies, sitcoms, SNL, LateNight TV, very few things these days make me REALLY laugh. So in effect when you have less talented people in the industry, you have less comedic things that are on TV.

Just think 20-25 years ago, you had Carson & Letterman(when he was still funny at NBC) on LateNight, compared to today's LateNight comedians.

Just think 20-25 years ago, you had people like Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Dennis Miller, Chris Farley, David Spade, and Adam Sandler (along with alot of good writers like Robert Smigel and Al Franken) on SNL, and then look at the SNL cast & writers today.

Just think 20-25 years ago, I used to watch Family Ties, Cosby, Growing Pains, Who's the Boss, Roseanne, Coach, Cheers, The Wonder Years, Newhart. The only sitcom I watched in the past 5 years was Two and Half Men when Sheen was on.

Comedy started to go bad in the late 90's in the whole industry, and I don't think it ever recovered. You just have alot of medicore comedians and writers out there, IMO. On the flip side, TV Drama's have never been better since the rise of Cable TV as we are in a golden age, IMO.
Old 08-20-14, 12:06 PM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

How much of the humor/comedy is demographic dependent?

These days I'm not really into much of the current comedy/sitcom type of shows. (Occasionally I'll watch an episode of "The Big Bang theory").

Watching season 4 of Happy Days, the "humor" is more familiar to me. (This might be due to nostalgia).
Old 08-20-14, 02:24 PM

Just the whole country is becoming liberal and look how bad of shape are country is!! Lets not go there about the gays!! Back to the topic, someone could create a good sitcom, that attracts all ages, colors, and even sexual orientation!
Old 08-20-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just the whole country is becoming liberal and look how bad of shape are country is!! Lets not go there about the gays!! Back to the topic, someone could create a good sitcom, that attracts all ages, colors, and even sexual orientation!
Wait, do we want the gays or not?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.