TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Night Court 30th Anniversary Tribute Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: Night Court 30th Anniversary Tribute Thread

Originally Posted by PatD
Actually, it was Selma, Florence, and Roz. (Just sayin)
Can we keep her?!

I thought the episodes dealing with Bull and death of Selma and Flo was touching as well as Roz and her diabetes.

I hadn't realized it went 9 seasons.
Old 07-29-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Can we keep her?!

I thought the episodes dealing with Bull and death of Selma and Flo was touching as well as Roz and her diabetes.

I hadn't realized it went 9 seasons.
I agree those were great episodes. I just found Selma and Flo hard to take as characters while they were alive. Roz was by far my favorite of those they paired with Bull.
Old 07-29-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
The first female lead on Night Court was Meatloaf's partner in Paradise By the Dashboard Lights, iirc.

Beyond Laroquette, I never loved the show. Thought Harry was always better on Cheers than on his own show. Still it was pretty funny and was a better way to kill the 30 minutes between Cheers and Hill Street Blues (or L.A. Law) than anything else -- ah, life before DVR.
As much as I loved the Fraiser spin-off of Cheers, I always thought the con-artist Harry would have made for a better show.

Back to Night Court, there are a few episodes of this show that stuck with me. The "Ham & cheese on rye" episode took such a dark turn it really punched me in the gut as a kid. The episode where everyone was slowly freezing to death actually made me think some of the cast was about to die.
Old 07-29-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

The greatest Roz episode, for me, was "The Jung and the Restless" where she gets a chance to shine in dealing with a hostage situation created by a young Don Cheadle(!) Like a previous poster noted: there's humor, pathos, and back to humor again. It works.

What makes Night Court stand-out is it would have it's serious moments or take on serious topics, but it avoided being maudlin and there were no "Very Special Episodes". This was a mean feet for a sitcom in the 80s.
Old 07-29-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of sin-offs, how about the The John Larroquette Show! Not as good as Night Court by any means, but I enjoyed most of the episodes.

And of course Gigi Rice made watching quite easy on the eyes.
Old 07-29-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikael79
My wife and I looked after a Parakeet for an older couple who had flood damage back in 2008, and the bird would sometimes talk about wanting to watch Night Court. When the owners were finally able to pick up the birds, I mentioned how we thought that was funny, and she said that they've never once watched the show.

So it's somehow on the Parakeet cutural radar.
They always say that Nielsen misses out on some demos. Who knew it was Parakeets?
Old 07-29-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

It's been so long since I watched it. How did they work-around having the judge carrying on a romantic relationship with the public defender he works with all shift? That would seem to be a bit of an ethical conflict.
Old 07-29-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Speaking of sin-offs, how about the The John Larroquette Show! Not as good as Night Court by any means, but I enjoyed most of the episodes.
The John Larroquette show wasn't actually a spin-off. Different character.

But I agree, I actually enjoyed the episodes I saw. Just looked it up and saw that it went 4 seasons (84 episodes). I didn't think it went that long - I probably only watched between 10-15 episodes.

And of course Gigi Rice made watching quite easy on the eyes.
I remember her being pretty hot too... and I looked it up and she's married to Ted McGinley. No wonder the show was canceled.
Old 07-29-14, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
The John Larroquette show wasn't actually a spin-off. Different character.
Good point. Depsite the character really not being that diffferent, it was technically a different guy rather than Dan Fielding after changing jobs.
Old 07-29-14, 03:47 PM

David E Kelly wrote amazing stuff for John Larroquette on The Practice/Boston Legal. Too bad he never wrote a pilot for him or gave him a full-time role on one of his shows
Old 07-29-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
and I looked it up and she's married to Ted McGinley. No wonder the show was canceled.
Cancellation by association. That's rough.

Was The John Larroquette Show the one where he was a recovering alcoholic working in a bus station or something? I seem to remember thinking it was pretty funny.
Old 07-29-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

David E Kelly wrote amazing stuff for John Larroquette on The Practice/Boston Legal. Too bad he never wrote a pilot for him or gave him a full-time role on one of his shows
Yep. A great match.

Markie Post was one of my early TV crushes
Same here between NC and Fall Guy. She kind of got lost on Fall Guy behind Heather Thomas, which speaks to how hot Heather was.
Old 07-29-14, 05:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Dang, upon seeing this thread I looked up Markie Post ion IMDB. Appears she hasn't stopped working since Night Court. Good to see she hasn't disappeared....
Old 07-29-14, 07:18 PM

The most surreal scene in the history of the series:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zh1pZqmxvmM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-29-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I need to see this 30 Rock reunion!

Originally Posted by rduncan
Dang, upon seeing this thread I looked up Markie Post ion IMDB. Appears she hasn't stopped working since Night Court. Good to see she hasn't disappeared....
I feel like I saw her in something recently but don't recognize it in the IMDb credits. Though I see she's in a new series called Rack and Ruin. I hope she's the first one.
Old 07-29-14, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zh1pZqmxvmM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Out of the few cameos he ever did, I was glad that Johnny Carson did this show.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kZjEx8ClvsA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-30-14, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The John Larroquette show was VERY good, especially in the first season. It was a very dark show. Dan Harmon became the show runner I believe in the second season when the network wanted them to lighten things up. It was still decent, but that first season is really great.
Old 07-30-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
Loved Night Court. Wish it were on Netflix.
Seriously.
Old 07-30-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Loved Night Court. Wish it were on Netflix.
Originally Posted by B.A.
Seriously.
Sorry, I can't help reading this as "I love this show. Wish I could watch it for free." (And yes, I know Netflix has a subscription fee but it doesn't sound like you'd be basing your subscription on whether or not they have Night Court.)
Old 07-30-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Sorry, I can't help reading this as "I love this show. Wish I could watch it for free." (And yes, I know Netflix has a subscription fee but it doesn't sound like you'd be basing your subscription on whether or not they have Night Court.)
And? I want everything for free.
Old 07-30-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Oh, my subscription is fucking cancelled.

Right the fuck now.
Old 07-30-14, 02:56 PM

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gJhqJKT8XH4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-30-14, 04:03 PM

This reminds me of one of my biggest pet peeves about laugh-track on sitcoms (and Night Court, along with Full House, was probably the worst offender of this) : I really hate when there's a joke that has the set up of a tight shot, then a wider shot that reveals the joke which was previously hidden off-frame -- then the studio audience laughs. You see, the studio audience wasn't watching on a screen; they were watching on a studio set and could see the punchline the whole time (okay, not in this particular case, but every other time). Why did they wait to laugh? That always bothered me, even as a kid. Laugh tracks always feel dishonest, but so much more so in that case.
I've only been in a sitcom's studio audience once (Cheers, Season 6), but nobody ever told me "Wait to laugh until.....now!" Only instructions we got was to not yell out "Norm!" or it'll sound like there are 500 people in the bar.
Old 07-30-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And? I want everything for free.
Right, what the heck was I thinking anyway?
Old 07-31-14, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This reminds me of one of my biggest pet peeves about laugh-track on sitcoms (and Night Court, along with Full House, was probably the worst offender of this) : I really hate when there's a joke that has the set up of a tight shot, then a wider shot that reveals the joke which was previously hidden off-frame -- then the studio audience laughs. You see, the studio audience wasn't watching on a screen; they were watching on a studio set and could see the punchline the whole time (okay, not in this particular case, but every other time). Why did they wait to laugh? That always bothered me, even as a kid. Laugh tracks always feel dishonest, but so much more so in that case.
I've only been in a sitcom's studio audience once (Cheers, Season 6), but nobody ever told me "Wait to laugh until.....now!" Only instructions we got was to not yell out "Norm!" or it'll sound like there are 500 people in the bar.
In some shows they would actually show the audience video of the entire episode and record their laughs, instead of them watching it "live".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.