Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What shows have you STOPPED watching?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: Shows you watched religiously but eventually gave up on.

Has any comedy taken such a dive like The Office? The show was virtually unrecognizable by its sixth or seventh season. It happened to a number of shows on NBC in the past decade. I thought 30 Rock got way too goofy and silly by the end as well.
Old 07-27-14, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this handicap where I have to follow shows to its end. Even though I am no longer enjoying them. I guess it's a feeling of investment.given that, I watched then endings in my list but felt more like a reason to just move on:

Heroes (what train wreck with much premise potential)
Lost
Smallville
Entourage
The office
Friends
Had to edit because I forgot about Dexter but should be a given by overall viewer reaction

The one show I literally gave up on was Himym. It turned out to be a bunch of whiny people always moping about thir relationships. Every freaking week. We got that from Friends and they actually made it work (for a while at least).

Last edited by stopgap; 07-27-14 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Forgot one
Old 07-27-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Bones - at some point, what were once interesting characters became trite and annoying (same goes for the story lines)
CSI: Anything
Glee is next
Old 07-27-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

TRUE BLOOD. Went from ridiculously entertaining to awful around Season 5.
Old 07-27-14, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Forgot about this one completely. I tapped after two episodes. Sookie just annoyed me to no end.
Old 07-27-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joliom
Deadwood
Interesting. This one was only three seasons. Is there a big drop in quality, or did you just lose interest? I just started Season 2.
Old 07-27-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
Interesting. This one was only three seasons. Is there a big drop in quality, or did you just lose interest? I just started Season 2.
There is absolutely ZERO loss of quality. Season three is probably the best. I guess the language structure could turn someone off but I thought is was brilliant.
Old 07-27-14, 04:16 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Smallville
Heros
numbers
simpsons
Old 07-27-14, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I had dropped out of "Smallville" early on, and only gave it another shot when HDNet started showing it from the beginning in HD. I actually thought each season improved a little bit on the season before, particularly after they started embracing The Comics rather than saying they were nothing like them, and treating the charters' origins as if they were an embarrassment.

I never thought the show got it completely right, but I think if it had lasted 20 seasons, it might have finally become a damned good show.
Old 07-27-14, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

OZ
Riveting TV that became a massive joke towards the end (Full frontal male nudity seemed to be it's main priority in the final season)

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I think I bailed around season 4.
Old 07-27-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ER
Heroes
Lost
Revenge
Old 07-27-14, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Parks and Rec - I just lost touch with it. 30 Rock ended. Community scheduling is maligned. Their new shows were duds. I just stopped watching Thursday NBC.
Old 07-27-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by stopgap
Forgot about this one completely. I tapped after two episodes. Sookie just annoyed me to no end.
Quitting after just 2 episodes doesn't count as religiously watching before quitting a show.
Old 07-27-14, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac
Quitting after just 2 episodes doesn't count as religiously watching before quitting a show.
You are right. I lost sight of the topic at hand when responding right away.
Old 07-27-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by stopgap
You misspelled "fapped."
Old 07-27-14, 07:06 PM

Deadwood just gets better.
Old 07-27-14, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Forgot about two more:

Castle (watched through season 4 and quit. Show was spinning it's wheels)
Revenge (stopped a few episodes into season 3. Would have made a killer two season show with the premise but they had to drag it out.)
Old 07-27-14, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Forgot about two more:

Castle (watched through season 4 and quit. Show was spinning it's wheels)
I got sick of Beckett(was that her name) being an expert on every subject known to man because she either "dated a guy" or "went through a phase in college".
Old 07-27-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Hell On Wheels. But I think I'll try it again. I really liked the first season.
Old 07-27-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Hell on Wheels for me too. Enjoyed the first season but for some reason didn't feel compelled to watch season two but will probably marathon it.

The Simpsons became godawful about 5-6 seasons ago. That said, I caught an episode earlier this season and it was surprisingly witty so I started DVRing it. Have mostly liked the half dozen or so episodes I watched this year.

Heroes I think I dropped after season two. Show just became a chore to sit through.

New Girl I liked season one but ditched it mainly because my DVR keeps filling and a couple characters on that show annoy me.
Old 07-27-14, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Friends - watched religiously every Thursday but i just got too ridiculous with all the love interest swapping they did. I think by the end each male "friend" and each female "friend" had hooked up or pined for the other. I stopped watching a season or two before it ended. I still don't think I've ever seen the finale in reruns.
Phoebe never hooked up with one of the gang. Putting Rachel and Joey together was an act of desperation to drag the show out another season for the cast's big paydays. Still watched 'til the end, but man between that and Monica & Chandler adopting/looking for a house... the show was a shell of it's former self.

Originally Posted by Mike86
I still liked the series but kind of fell behind on Burn Notice. I still need to get back to it one of these days. I will admit that the season when Jesse was added (I think four or five) I was getting a bit bored with it though.
I got burned out on BN, but hung in there. The rabbit hole just got ridiculous. This guy isn't the bad guy, THIS guy is! No wait, he was a decoy, THIS GUY was behind it all... nope his evil twin was responsible for the burn notice! Nope, this girl was the mastermind... It was fucking stupid for awhile but the final two seasons stepped it up and improved from it's formulaic mediocrity.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
H50 just became unwatchable.
As long as they stay away from Wo-fat, H50 still hits that guilty pleasure point for me. It's dumb, but it's dumb fun.

Originally Posted by DWilson
I had dropped out of "Smallville" early on, and only gave it another shot when HDNet started showing it from the beginning in HD. I actually thought each season improved a little bit on the season before, particularly after they started embracing The Comics rather than saying they were nothing like them, and treating the charters' origins as if they were an embarrassment.

I never thought the show got it completely right, but I think if it had lasted 20 seasons, it might have finally become a damned good show.
Smallville took a dive by season 4, but you're right every season after that improved on the season prior.
Old 07-27-14, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I don't know if it qualifies as 'religiously' but I watched and loved the first couple seasons of Psych and It's Always Sunny before dropping them. They both fell into that "I get it, but I doubt I'll miss much" if I drop 'em kinda vibe. They feel like shows you could drop for multiple seasons, come back and zero character development has happened in the time you were away.
Old 07-28-14, 12:21 AM

Heroes showed me that it is ok to walk away from a show you once loved when the fire dies.

I stopped watching Castle, Grey's Anatomy, CSI & Glee when I didn't like them anymore due to bad writing or cast changes.

I kind of wish I had stopped True Blood, but it's too late now.
Old 07-28-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Add me to the list of those puzzled that Deadwood would be listed. IMHO it never dropped in quality in the slightest, and I was severely disappointed to read that it wasn't coming back.

On my list would be:

Simpsons - I give it a shot now and then, but it only reaffirms my dropping it.
True Blood - I Will eventually watch the rest, but it really went downhill, so no hurry.
Californication - Seemed to turn into "How crudely can we say anything to do with sex in order to shock people?" I'm no prude, it's just that it makes the dialogue sound forced or unnatural. Another one where I'll probably end up watching the last 2 seasons, but sometime down the road.
Old 07-28-14, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I gave up after the first season of Deadwood. Nothing ever seemed to happen. That's why I lost interest. The production design, cinematography, and acting were all first rate, but the plot just seemed to be crawling along. Maybe things picked up in the proceeding seasons...I don't know. At the time I had so many other shows on my plate that my patience for a slow burn type of series probably just wasn't where it should have been. Of all the ones on my list, Deadwood is the one I'm most likely to revisit, however.

Oh, and as of today, you can also add Falling Skies to my list. After last week's episode, I gave up and threw in the towel. It was on tonight and I deleted the series from my DVR.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.