TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The X-Files (FOX) -- Season 10 coming January 24, 2016

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
re: The X-Files (FOX) -- Season 10 Rumors, News, Speculation

Originally Posted by DJariya
Again, nothing has been signed or even greenlit yet. FOX is still in talks. For all we know, this may not even happen.
The biggest key in fueling my hope is that all the major parties want this to happen, that is like half the battle.
Old 01-18-15, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It had been rumored that Duchovny would consider X-Files once Californication ended, which seems to have been proven true. He absolutely hated the grind of working ten months a year as a network lead. I imagine it would come back for a limited 10-12 episodes season/mini-series, which could then spin off a new X-Files cast or get brought back every year for a short run.

I think short seasons, 10-12 eps, is the way to go.

I'm not sure if it should focus on monsters of week or conspiracy arc stuff, though. A lot of this stuff has been played out on cable reality shows... Monsters and bigfoot and UFO and ghost hunters. Not to mention that youtube is flooded with fake ghost and monster videos. Or Art Bell, George Noory, and Alex Jones.

Be interesting too how the X-Files operates in a pop culture landscape it created.
Old 01-18-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I hope they address the alien colonization (or the averting of it) that was supposed to happen at the end of the Mayan calendar. I really didn't like how they handled "The X-Files: I Want to Believe". My memory is fuzzy, but I recall the series finale revealed that undercover aliens had been placed in influential positions within the FBI. The movie made no mention of that greater conspiracy, just that the manhunt would be called off if Mulder helped find some missing agent. Granted, the mythology had become really convoluted by that point and needed to be simplified for a general audience. I also seem to remember Scully implying Mulder wasn't over his sister's death in the film, when they had already made a big deal about him being at peace with it in the episode "Closure".

But what the hell, I'm always down for more X-Files.
I imagine they ignore much of what happened to the X-Files' mythology in those last three seasons if Mulder and Scully come back. Carter has to know the audience hated how those seasons went down, which is one of the reasons the second movie was a standalone story ignoring the mythology.

I would practically reset the timeline to before Mulder walking away from the X-Files.
Old 02-14-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: The X-Files (FOX) -- Season 10 Rumors, News, Speculation

David Duchovny was on the Feb 13, 2015 episode of Real Time with Bill Maher and talked about the new X-Files series being planned during Real Time's "Overtime" segment:

( LINK - the question and his answer start at the 2:09 time mark)
Old 03-22-15, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

http://comicbook.com/2015/03/21/the-...ser-than-ever/

This is not official news, so this should be treated as rumor only.

In January, Fox revealed that they have had conversations about bringing back The X-Files. Not much was known at that time, but Fox did say they were planning on bringing back creator Chris Carter and the show's stars David Duchovny and Gillain Anderson. Since then, Duchovny and Anderson have both expressed interest in reprising their roles as Agents Mulder and Scully.

TV Wise is reporting that Fox is planning to order a shortened season of The X-Files - less than 10 episodes. Which is similar to what the network did with Keifer Sutherland's 24, however, it had 12 episodes. The Daily Mail claims that it will be six episodes, but TV Wise says the number still hasn't be determined at this time.

TV Wise claims that the revival will clear up unresolved plot lines that the original series and the two films that followed never did. They add, Chris Carter will write the scripts and serve as the executive producer.

The reason for the short order? One of the main reasons is said to be scheduling.

The feeling was that it would be easier for the always in demand Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny to schedule a block of time to shoot the revival with a short order. The duo, who were always committed to doing more X-Files, have, sources say, agreed to reprise their roles. It is understood than an offer has also gone out to Mitch Pileggi. Other key cast members will also return.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2015/03/the-...vny-to-return/

According to this source, if FOX gets everyone officially signed on, they hope to announce it in the May upfronts. They would hopefully shoot it this summer.
Old 03-22-15, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Six feels too short but meh, we'll take what we can get I guess.
Old 03-22-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

That doesn't really excite me all that much assuming that it is correct. It seems like they're all saying, "we want to do this but we're not willing to give up much of our time for it." I think at this point, I'd prefer a reboot over bringing the old crew back.
Old 03-22-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fox only wants to bring them back so they can introduce a new generation of FBI agents for the X-Files. They know fans will be far more willing to check out the series if David and Gillian are nominally involved.

I hope Chris Carter really has a way to satisfactorily tie-up the mess he's created with the mythology. If I were him I would ignore almost all of the events from season 9 and pretend they didn't happen.
Old 03-22-15, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm FOR new episodes of The X-Files if the intent is to finally wrap up all the hanging storylines, once and for all.

But I'm AGAINST new episodes of The X-Files if the intent is just to relaunch it and then add new junk (like the Super-Soldiers from the latter seasons) on top of it all and still not resolve anything.
Old 03-23-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dhmac
I'm FOR new episodes of The X-Files if the intent is to finally wrap up all the hanging storylines, once and for all.

But I'm AGAINST new episodes of The X-Files if the intent is just to relaunch it and then add new junk (like the Super-Soldiers from the latter seasons) on top of it all and still not resolve anything.
Fox definitely wants X-Files: The Next Generation. They might wrap up Mulder and Scully's story but I would expect new characters in it intended to be spun off.
Old 03-23-15, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Here are some alleged spoilers from the script for the first episode, titles for the first three episodes, and some of the characters who are returning.

Found this on IMDB, so take with the appropriate amount of sodium chloride...

http://xfilesrevival.altervista.org

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-23-15 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-23-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
After fourteen years off the air, does anyone but the most ardent fans even remember what the hanging storyline threads are any more?
Old 03-23-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

No. They closed out Mulder's sister's abduction (clumsily), and the alien invasion was supposed to happen in 2012, right? That needs to be addressed but other than those two things the rest is long forgotten and falls into 'who cares' territory, IMO. After 14 years, I think they need to start mostly fresh. I don't want to waste time retreading ground.

I can't complain but six episodes is pretty fucking weak. Why bother? 10-12 is the sweet spot, IMO. Gives enough breathing room to catch people up, cover a decent mytharc (new?) and have a few MOTW episodes.
Old 03-23-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah 6 episodes leaves no room for MOTW episodes, which is where the series really shined. A little underwhelming.
Old 03-24-15, 11:52 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Official:
“The X-Files” gang is getting back together for a six-episode limited series that has formally been given a series order by Fox.

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson will be back as FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. Series creator Chris Carter will be at the helm for 20th Century Fox TV and Ten Thirteen Productions. Production is set to begin this summer although Fox has not yet set an air date

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” Carter said. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

The “X-Files” revival follows last spring’s return of “24,” as a 13-episode limited series. NBC has joined the mania for resurrecting series with built-in audience awareness with its plans for the “Heroes Reborn” miniseries next season.

“X-Files” is a natural, as the show about FBI sleuths investigating instances of paranormal activity is tailor-made for social media obsession — even if it hails from an earlier TV era. “X-Files” had a nine-season run on Fox from 1993-2002. It spawned two feature films, 1998’s “The X-Files: Fight the Future” and 2008’s “The X-Files: I Want to Believe.”

Fox Television Group chairmen Gary Newman and Dana Walden shepherded the show on the studio side during its network run. The pair have made no secret of their interest in bringing it back. The new episodes may well spark renewed interest in the show from SVOD platforms, just as the “24: Die Another Day” episodes spurred Fox to cut a rich pact for the entire series library with Amazon Prime.

Earlier this year, Newman and Walden confirmed early plans for “The X-Files” revival at the Television Critics Assn. press tour.

Now official, the duo commented: “We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of ‘The X-Files’ — one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers — and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again.”

They added, “‘The X-Files’ was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture — yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as ‘The X-Files’ and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-...on-1201459006/
Old 03-24-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Agreed with others in here that a six episode return feels fairly worthless. I thought by shortened season we'd at least get ten or possibly twelve. I'll probably watch it still just to see how it is. I wonder if Fox ever plans to release the series on Blu-ray. I know it was rumored at one point but it never seemed to go anywhere.
Old 03-24-15, 12:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Fans may be interested in a sale on the X-Files comics at Comixology.
https://www.comixology.com/The-X-Files-Sale/page/5843
Old 03-24-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Agreed with others in here that a six episode return feels fairly worthless. I thought by shortened season we'd at least get ten or possibly twelve. I'll probably watch it still just to see how it is. I wonder if Fox ever plans to release the series on Blu-ray. I know it was rumored at one point but it never seemed to go anywhere.
You can get a lot done in six episodes...that's basically three feature-length movies. They'll have plenty of time to resolve some of the mythology and still have one or two-stand alone cases. The first season of THE WALKING DEAD was only six episodes and plenty got covered there.

Plus, if the show is a hit, you'd better believe FOX will sign up for more. This is basically a test to see if the fan base is still there (it WASN'T for the last movie, which is why FOX probably didn't want to invest in more than six at this time).

So many series feel padded these days (even 24 did when it came back). Six seems like a great number.
Old 03-24-15, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I agree that a lot of shows now days feel padded and don't need to have twenty-some odd episodes a season, but I just feel like six episodes is almost too little in some ways. I just feel like the first episode or two will probably be the series getting back into its groove plus introducing new characters most likely. So that basically leaves four episodes to tell the story they're wanting to tell which really isn't that much. I guess I just feel like a bit more would be beneficial.
Old 03-24-15, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first heard the rumor of six episodes the other day I was pretty meh about the idea.

Now that it's official I'M PUMPED. I'll never get tired of seeing Mulder and Scully together onscreen.

I'll take what I can get!
Old 03-24-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

FOX might not be able to get a few of the staff writers and producers that worked on the show.

Vince Gilligan is on Better Call Saul

Howard Gordon is tied up with Tyrant, Homeland and a new pilot for FOX

Frank Spotnitz signed on as showrunner for Crossing Lines and that shoots in Europe.

Those guys were big parts of Carter's writing staff. I doubt Carter will write all 6 scripts by himself. He will need help. I hope they can work out the logistics.

They could try to get Glen Morgan and James Wong who worked with Carter on Millenium. I think Morgan is at least available.
Old 03-24-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd prefer a full series but I guess this is better than making another film.
Old 03-24-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

FOX might not be able to get a few of the staff writers and producers that worked on the show.

Vince Gilligan is on Better Call Saul

Howard Gordon is tied up with Tyrant, Homeland and a new pilot for FOX

Frank Spotnitz signed on as showrunner for Crossing Lines and that shoots in Europe.

Those guys were big parts of Carter's writing staff. I doubt Carter will write all 6 scripts by himself. He will need help. I hope they can work out the logistics.

They could try to get Glen Morgan and James Wong who worked with Carter on Millenium. I think Morgan is at least available.
I'm pretty sure Frank will be involved - he and Chris are pretty close - but I suspect the others might not be. It's quite possible Carter will direct all six installments.

Hopefully Chris understands what fans want to see with these characters. I've said it before, but the biggest problem with I WANT TO BELIEVE (aside from Fox only giving Carter $30 million to film it) was the fact that it was a story Carter wanted to tell, but it had very little to do with the paranormal or being an actual "X-File".

There's a lot to explore, given the fact that we now live in a world where everything Mulder thought about the government (hiding secrets, wire tapping citizens, etc.) turned out to be true. He was considered an outcast before...he should be much more trusted now.
Old 03-24-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They could try to get Glen Morgan and James Wong who worked with Carter on Millennium. I think Morgan is at least available.
I hope they can get Darin Morgan to come back and write.
Old 03-24-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm excited and bummed at the same time. My favorite show of all time will be back, but only for the most fleeting of moments just a cocktease by Fox.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.