Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The X-Files (FOX) -- Season 10 coming January 24, 2016

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The X-Files (FOX) -- Season 10 Rumors, News, Speculation

Between Carter hinting that Doggett and Reyes could be back and acknowledging that bringing CSM back would involve some paranormal element it's apparent that there's no Duffy/shower moment ignoring the misunderstood later seasons or the second movie.

I say good for him. Nobody would want to see 3+ years of their life's work wiped away.

If you think seasons 6 and 7 were great and seasons 8 and 9 were horrible then you weren't paying attention. It's like saying Diamonds are Forever was the last great Bond film before Roger Moore ruined the series when in reality it's exactly like the first couple Moore films.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 04-30-15 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-30-15, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Watched the pilot on Netflix. Looked fucking gorgeous.
Old 05-02-15, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
If you think seasons 6 and 7 were great and seasons 8 and 9 were horrible then you weren't paying attention. It's like saying Diamonds are Forever was the last great Bond film before Roger Moore ruined the series when in reality it's exactly like the first couple Moore films.
No, I think Season 6 was mostly great, Season 7 was good but had signs of the show going downhill, Season 8 was okay and at least had a decent enough ending to the show (that is, if only it ended there), but then Season 9 basically sucked with one of the worst finales imaginable.

So it was more of a gradual decline that then fell off the cliff with Season 9. Which means it was more like James Bond films with Pierce Bosnan: GoldenEye was mostly great, Tomorrow Never Dies was pretty good, The World Is Not Enough was good enough, but Die Another Day was just a steaming pile of shit.
Old 05-03-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Between Carter hinting that Doggett and Reyes could be back and acknowledging that bringing CSM back would involve some paranormal element it's apparent that there's no Duffy/shower moment ignoring the misunderstood later seasons or the second movie.

I say good for him. Nobody would want to see 3+ years of their life's work wiped away.

Season six was still pretty good. Season seven was a hot mess; they were sort of in a holding pattern not knowing whether or not DD would stick around for an eighth season. It also had a really shitty conclusion to Samantha Mulder's storyline and the Mulder/Scully romance. (gag)

Season eight suffers because it lacks direction be cause of season seven not providing much meat and DD basically leaving the show.

The problem with Doggett is that the X-Files was Mulder's story, and the character never got a proper send-off or any kind of closure, and they just dumped a new guy in to take his place. They should have gone into season seven under the assumption that it would be the final season, and given Mulder's arc some proper closure, and then have contingency plans for whatever season eight would have brought.

And the first few Moore Bond films were fucking awesome.
Old 05-10-15, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In addition to the previously mentioned complete Season 1 already being in 16x9 HD on NetFlix streaming, now Season 2 is in 16x9 HD there too.

So it seems NetFlix is rolling out the HD version of The X-Files using a gradual season-by-season method.
Old 05-11-15, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dhmac
In addition to the previously mentioned complete Season 1 already being in 16x9 HD on NetFlix streaming, now Season 2 is in 16x9 HD there too.

So it seems NetFlix is rolling out the HD version of The X-Files using a gradual season-by-season method.
Not all episodes from season 2 are in HD, so I'm not really sure what Netflix is doing.

Don't really want to begin any serious binge watching until I do, because short of a bd release, watching these in widescreen HD on Netflix is still an incredible experience when all we've ever seen before was 4 x 3 SD.
Old 05-11-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Sunday, Jan. 24th - Hopefully they're not scheduling it up against an NFL championship game (I believe they're that weekend, but one of the two will be on FOX). Hopefully they're not airing an episode the night of the SuperBowl, either (CBS has the SuperBowl next year, I believe).
Old 05-11-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Sunday, Jan. 24th - Hopefully they're not scheduling it up against an NFL championship game (I believe they're that weekend, but one of the two will be on FOX). Hopefully they're not airing an episode the night of the SuperBowl, either (CBS has the SuperBowl next year, I believe).
The NFC championship on FOX will be its lead-in. It's bound to have an overrun which will affect DVR viewers.
Old 05-11-15, 09:28 PM

January is so far away, but I can't believe it's actually going to happen.

Not to get ahead of things, but I hope having the NFL lead-in gives it great ratings and we get more episodes after the 6.
Old 05-13-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Gillian Anderson looks so good these days - hotter than ever!

Old 05-19-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk God

More X-traordinary news: Two more X-Files MVPs — writer-producer Frank Spotnitz and writer Darin Morgan — are returning for next January’s six-episode revival on Fox.
http://tvline.com/2015/05/19/greys-a...lie-new-loves/

to Spotnitz coming back. I guess Darin Morgan was just finalized. I recall seeing his name already mentioned.
Old 05-20-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The last time it was May and I was eagerly anticipating an upcoming tv show broadcasting early the next calendar year, it was May 2009 when I was looking forward to the upcoming final season of LOST...

Hopefully, this one goes better than that one did.

Old 05-20-15, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Man, I just cannot get as excited about this as I want to. I love love love the show, but 6 episodes? It'll be over in a flash.
Old 05-24-15, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhmac

How are they re-doing these in 16x9? The show wasn't shot in 16x9 until much later in the show. I normally prefer OAR for this kind of thing. I assume they're just trimming?
Old 05-25-15, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you sure it wasn't always shot in 16x9?

So far in season two episodes 1 and 3 have been SD and 2 and 4 have been HD. I've read online that there are some random HD episodes spread throughout the series and all or almost all of season six is, but almost nothing else after season two is. Wonder what the heck Netflix is doing.
Old 05-25-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
How are they re-doing these in 16x9? The show wasn't shot in 16x9 until much later in the show. I normally prefer OAR for this kind of thing. I assume they're just trimming?
Apparently the early seasons of The X-Files were shot using "Super 35" which allows framing for either 4:3 format (by cutting a little off the sides) or for 16:9 (by cutting a little off the top and/or bottom).

There's always something cut off from "Super 35" no matter how it's framed, but it's a lot less picture info than for something filmed in a pure 4:3 format being reframed to 16:9.

For example, the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day was filmed using "Super 35" and here's an image from it showing how it was reframed for different aspect ratios:

Old 05-25-15, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Generally speaking, as with 1.85 movies that were shot on 1.33 film, there is a specific compositional intent. "More" picture is not necessarily better.
Old 05-25-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Outside of some cropping in the first season, the widescreen version of The X-Files looks very good. That show was much more cinematic than anything else on television at the time, and the producers were forward-thinking by protecting it for 16x9. Personally, I don't think opening up the frame jeopardizes the composition in any of these examples:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 05-25-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Gillian Anderson looks so good these days - hotter than ever!
If you watch some of the first season, she barely resembles herself from those days. The Hollywood power treatment has benefited her more than just about any actress I can recall.
Old 05-25-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
If you watch some of the first season, she barely resembles herself from those days. The Hollywood power treatment has benefited her more than just about any actress I can recall.
Is that a euphemism for plastic surgery?
Old 05-26-15, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
That might be a small part of it, but it's typically having things like top of the line stylists, trainers, hair/makeup people and so on that keeps most celebrities looking as good as they can. Enough time with that sort of care, and they learn to do all that stuff on their own.

Here's a (kinda creepy) progression of how much hotter she got as she got older - though I'm afraid the decline will begin any year now...

Old 05-26-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/26...96fee0dd678fd8

David Duchovny says the first page of The X-Files revivial script made him cry—and it’s fantastic.

“I got the first script this morning,” the actor told EW during a recent interview. “I just read it about an hour ago and I started crying reading the first page. It was just so strange to see the names on the page. It had nothing to do with the script itself. It was just like, I’d been talking about this for a long time. We’d been planning it for a long time. It took a long time to get all the people in the same place and get the deal with Fox. So let’s say two years we’ve been talking about doing it. Now it’s the fun part. Now we actually get to do it. That was nice and strangely emotional for me, and I’ll have to figure out how to use that [in the performance].”

But what about the script itself? “I can tell you absolutely nothing—and it’s fantastic,” Duchovny said.

We actually did managed to get a little more out of the actor, who’s reuinting his former co-star Gillian Anderson as they tackle new paranormal mysteries in the return of their iconic series next January. Fox has ordered six episodes, which have been shrouded in mystery. So we asked Duchovny whether he could reveal if the new episodes would feature stand-alone mysteries or have a mythology that weaves through the mini-season. “Even though there’s only six, there will be a mix,” he said. “It’s not really The X-Files without the mythology.”

Other former co-stars, such as Mitch Pileggi (Walter Skinner) and William B. Davis (Cigarette Smoking Man) are back too. On the writing side, series creator Chris Carter is back, along with original writers Glen Morgan and James Wong (Vince Gilligan is not involved, sadly).

That Fox only ordered six episodes have led some to assume X-Files will only be a limited-series return, or a miniseries. Yet Duchovny revealed that he’s interested in more.

“I would be open to doing another cycle,” Duchovny said. “I don’t know that I could do a 20-episode version of this show at this point in my life, and I don’t know that Gillian could. But I think everybody is open ended on what happens after this. Certainly, we didn’t bring it back with the idea of ending it.”

Is there anything about becoming Fox Mulder again that he’s not happy about? “Probably running through the forest at four in the morning.”
Old 05-26-15, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luckily all the forests are dead in Cali now.
Old 05-26-15, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
That's certainly a part of it. You can also tell she's completely cut out carbs in her diet, she has thinned out considerably even from her latter X-Files years.
Old 06-04-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All 9 seasons remastered and released on Netflix:

http://advanced-television.com/2015/...d-for-netflix/

illuminate has completed a digital restoration of the iconic TV series, The X-Files. Retransferred from the camera-original negative, the show’s entire 201 episodes have been reassembled in HD using illuminate’s proprietary iConform technology. All nine seasons of The X-Files have now been released on Netflix.

iConform, illuminate’s proprietary software, was used to automatically edit together scanned camera-original negatives using existing reference material, but without the need for an EDL. With the resulting scans, illuminate then applied color correction and other enhancements to generate a new file ready for distribution in today’s viewing standards. The process also involved recreating the visual effects in all 201 episodes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.