Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Manhattan (WGN America) -- S: William Petersen -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Manhattan (WGN America) -- S: William Petersen -- Series Thread

I just watched the first 5 episodes. This show is great. It started a little slow, but it has gotten really good. If you still have it on your DVR or have Hulu+ I highly recommend giving it another shot.
Old 10-04-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is probably my most anticipated show to watch each week right now. I can't believe it's only getting 350K viewers per episode. I really hope it has enough critical acclaim or clout or whatever for them to bring it back for another season, since the story definitely won't wrap up in the next couple episodes.
Old 10-05-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I was hoping it would find its way to Netflix or prime, to binge.. I've missed the last few eps...
Old 10-14-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was renewed for a second season. I hope they plan to wrap up the story next year though. I doubt the ratings will go up and they really don't need more than two seasons to tell this story.
Old 10-14-14, 12:08 PM

Great news on the renewal.
Old 10-14-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I was hoping it would find its way to Netflix or prime, to binge.. I've missed the last few eps...
It's on Hulu Plus. They have an exclusive deal for this show.

I only watched the first 2 episodes and this fell off my watch list due to the glut off shows on right now. Same goes for the other WGN America show Salem which I only caught 3 episodes.

If I have some time when things start slowing down, I may try to re-visit this, especially since it got renewed.
Old 10-20-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, really great finale! Hope this finds more of an audience next year.
Old 01-27-15, 07:26 AM

Finally got through this!

Pretty slow and deliberate, but I will tune in to Season 2. Hope they start getting into more testing, those were my favorite bits.
Old 03-26-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I know this show never caught on here, but some interesting news.

William Petersen is joining the cast for season 2 as a series regular.

WILLIAM PETERSEN RETURNS TO TELEVISION IN WGN AMERICA’S CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED SERIES ‘MANHATTAN,’ PRODUCED BY LIONSGATE,

SKYDANCE AND TRIBUNE STUDIOS

John Benjamin Hickey, Olivia Williams, Ashley Zuckerman and Rachel Brosnahan

Return for Second Season to Begin Production in April

LOS ANGELES, March 26, 2015 – WGN America announced today that William Petersen (“CSI: Crime Scene Investigation”) has joined the cast of its critically acclaimed drama “Manhattan,” marking his return to television after his celebrated Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated 10-year run as Dr. Gilbert ‘Gil’ Grissom in the hit series “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.” Produced by Lionsgate Television, Skydance Television and Tribune Studios, “Manhattan” will begin production on its second season in New Mexico in April for a 2015 debut on WGN America.

Petersen will play Colonel Emmett Darrow, the enigmatic new ranking military officer at Los Alamos, as a series regular for season two. A deeply religious and patriotic man, Darrow feels called by God to usher in the atomic future, and to spread American values across the globe.

The ensemble cast of “Manhattan” includes Emmy®-nominated actor John Benjamin Hickey (“The Big C,” “The Good Wife”) as Frank Winter; Olivia Williams (“Rushmore,” “The Ghost Writer”) as Liza Winter; Daniel Stern (“Home Alone,” “Home Alone 2”) as Glen Babbit; Ashley Zukerman (“Rush”) as Charlie Isaacs; Rachel Brosnahan (“House of Cards”) as Abby Isaacs; Katja Herbers (“De Storm”) as Helen Prins; Alexia Fast (“Jack Reacher”) as Callie Winter; Christopher Denham (“Argo,” “Shutter Island”) as Jim Meeks; Harry Lloyd (“Game of Thrones”) as Paul Crosley; and Michael Chernus (“The Big C,” “Orange Is The New Black”) as Louis “Fritz” Fedowitz.

Created and written by Sam Shaw and directed by Emmy® Award-winning director Thomas Schlamme, "Manhattan" is set against the backdrop of the greatest race against time in the history of science -- the mission to build the world's first atomic bomb. The series follows the brilliant but flawed scientists and their families in Los Alamos as they attempt to coexist in a world where secrets and lies infiltrate every aspect of their lives.

“Manhattan” recently won the 2015 SXSW Jury Award for Excellence in Title Design, besting 22 other film and television finalists. Dan Gregoras, Creative Director at Imaginary Forces, illustrated the winning title design. Additionally, the series’ Director of Photography, John Lindley, won the American Society of Cinematographers’ Outstanding Achievement Award in a Television Movie, Miniseries, or Pilot for his work on the premiere episode of the series, “You Always Hurt the One You Love.”

“Manhattan” is executive produced by Sam Shaw, Thomas Schlamme, David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, Marcy Ross and Dustin Thomason. Follow “Manhattan” on Twitter @ManhattanWGNA. “Like” the series on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ManhattanWGNA, and join the discussion with #manhattanwgna and #Fanhattans. See photos on Instagram by following @ManhattanWGNA and videos at www.youtube.com/ManhattanWGNA.

William Peterson is represented by CAA, manager Cindy Chvatal and attorney Clifford Gilbert-Lurie.
Old 03-26-15, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I know this show never caught on here, but some interesting news.

William Petersen is joining the cast for season 2 as a series regular.

Nice addition.

I watched the first couple eps and then sort of lost track but I might try to get back into this after I finish Salem S1. I
Old 03-26-15, 08:26 PM

Re: Manhattan (WGN America) -- S: William Petersen -- Series Thread

That is great news, can only help this show be more on the upswing...
Old 03-26-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

This is an extremely slow paced drama, so it has little to no mass appeal. That being said, I personally enjoyed the first season and look forward to the continuation of the story.

As previously mentioned though, there is really only another season's worth (or two at most) of materials left, unless it somehow goes beyond the end of WWII.
Old 03-27-15, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Its sister show Salem starts its second season next week.
Old 06-12-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Just binge-watched this season. I was a bit apprehensive, due to the "alternate history" nature of it. (see my avatar) I really enjoyed it, but you just have to accept that it bears only a resemblance to the real events. Maybe a parallel universe where things are similar but not quite the same as ours. Different people (though they couldn't completely leave Oppenheimer out of it)--same results. The interpersonal conflicts are amplified up to soap opera levels. All of the intrigue and double-crossing gets a bit ridiculous. The paranoia over spying is interesting--I'm sure it was a big concern, but it still seems way over-emphasized here.

That said, there is a lot to like. The acting, especially, is really great. Olivia Williams is always terrific, and the actor who plays Frank is excellent, as are most of the others. The period setting seems to be pretty well done, though I am sure one can find anachronisms if you look hard enough. The direction is very good and the cinematography is beautiful.

Looking forward to season 2.
Old 10-13-15, 06:41 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Season 2 begins tonight, 10/13/15.
Old 10-13-15, 08:28 AM

I'm in for season 2, even with a packed tv watch list!
Old 10-13-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Me, too!
Old 10-24-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two episodes into season 2...

Man, I hope there wasn't half this much crazy shit going on around the real Manhattan Project!

I really missed Frank in the first episode, but that set us up for lots of Frank in ep 2.

They got rid of the daughter pretty fast--seems odd since they spent a fair amount of time on her is season 1.

The other character they got rid of was surprising, too. But I guess Peterson's character can kind of fill that antagonist role now. He's a real son-of-a-bitch so far.

I liked Abby telling Charlie what she would do about the Nazi bomb project--go after the German scientists and their families.

Neve Campbell joining the show next week.
Old 11-01-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Episode 3

I believe that was one of Meryl Streep's daughters as the spy--the one who gave Jim the blowjob.

I liked the little tease at the beginning, but I didn't think we'd actually see Einstein in the end. I hope that isn't all we see of him. I also hope Frank eventually winds up back on the Hill. It's more interesting when he's mixing it up with the other characters.

I liked Neve Campbell (as Mrs. Oppenheimer) putting Abby in her place. Looks like we'll be seeing a bit more of the Oppenheimers next week.
Old 12-09-15, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charlie's speech to the target committee was incredible. Real thought provoking stuff.
Old 12-10-15, 07:44 AM

Im struggling through season 2.. just seems to not be grabbing me like 1.. will work my way through it tho, 4 eps in....
Old 12-10-15, 11:44 AM

I made it through 30 minutes of season 1 episode 1. I just didn't like following almost all fictitious characters. I didn't even know it was still on.

The best look at this was the 1980's mini-series Oppenheimer with Sam Waterston. Unfortunately I think it's unobtainable.
Old 12-10-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I found the time skip to be a little jarring, it seems like they want to wrap it all up in 2 seasons or so. I mean, where can they really go with this come a Third when you're already so close to testing.
Old 12-10-15, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I found the time skip to be a little jarring, it seems like they want to wrap it all up in 2 seasons or so. I mean, where can they really go with this come a Third when you're already so close to testing.
Little man, the anxiety of waiting to drop the bomb, reacting to the 1st and 2nd bombs would make for compelling and fast paced season 3, and this show isn't fast paced
Old 02-03-16, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

WGN America canceled Manhattan today after two seasons.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.