The Last Ship -- New TNT action series -- Season 1 Thread -- 6/22/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-22-14, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,603 Posts

Series Premiere: The Last Ship

"Phase Six" - Sunday, June 22 at 9 p.m. (ET/PT)

Captain Tom Chandler (Eric Dane) and the crew of the USS Nathan James set out for the Arctic with two civilian virologists, Dr. Rachel Scott (Rhona Mitra) and Dr. Quincy Tophet, who claim to be studying birds. When they come under attack by a renegade team of Russian forces, Chandler learns these virologists are actually collecting samples of the source of a deadly virus that has wiped out over half the human population while they've been at sea. As they head home on the orders of the remaining U.S. government, Chandler and his crew realize that home is a shadow of what they left, and the safest place to develop a vaccine for this deadly disease is out at sea on their ship.

Also starring
Adam Baldwin (Chuck)

Directed by Jonathan Mostow

Teleplay and Television Story by Hank Steinberg & Steven Kane

Based on the novel by William Brinkley

Creator and Showrunner is Hank Steinberg (Without a Trace)

10 episodes ordered for season 1

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2Vng00SYRL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Been excited about this show since it was announced last May. Looks like a weekly summer blockbuster action movie.
Old 06-22-14, 07:02 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: The Last Ship (S1E01) -- New TNT action series -- "Pilot - Phase Six" -- 6/22/14

hopefully it'll be better than that other show... the last Submarine, or whatever the fuck it was called.
Old 06-22-14, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: The Last Ship (S1E01) -- New TNT action series -- "Pilot - Phase Six" -- 6/22/14

Originally Posted by TGM
hopefully it'll be better than that other show... the last Submarine, or whatever the fuck it was called.
Well, it's from Michael Bay so we know they'll be shit blowing up and such.
Old 06-22-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

I'm in for Adam Baldwin.
Old 06-22-14, 08:49 PM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Last Resort. Started off promising, but yeah it sort of lost its way.

This new show looks decent. I'll be recording it.
Old 06-22-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

A decent start. I'm not sure how well the premise will hold up in the long run.

Rhona Mitra is still extremely hot.
Old 06-23-14, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

That is 45 minutes of my life I will never get back. The acting in this one was pretty terrible, even from the bigger names. This felt like a premise conceived for a summer movie and like them the big action sequences were decided on before worrying about things like characterization or tone. They piled on a number of trite clichés into one episode.
Old 06-23-14, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I liked it. The battleship taking out the helicopters was a good scene.

I'm intrigued by the plot.

Hey, it's Rhianna from Battleship in this too
Old 06-23-14, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the first TV show with a main character who's LGBT in the military?
Old 06-23-14, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That is 45 minutes of my life I will never get back. The acting in this one was pretty terrible, even from the bigger names. This felt like a premise conceived for a summer movie and like them the big action sequences were decided on before worrying about things like characterization or tone. They piled on a number of trite clichés into one episode.
Sadly this is 100% accurate. It was horrible. So many story inconsistencies and contradictions, hokey dialog exchanges, ridiculous action sequences, and just plain bad acting. It looked like something that a bunch of people who think they are really smart would put together for people they think are really dumb.
Old 06-23-14, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk God

I didn't see anything horrible about the acting. I guess that's really subjective on what the viewer thinks is "Good acting"

I like Eric Dane. Always thought he was more than capable of being a lead on his own show. He IMO had the presence of a commanding officer. I like having Adam Baldwin as a supporting character.

I liked it. It was like watching a 45 minute summer action movie. The production value is top notch. The attack by the Russians on the ship was pretty badass. Jonathan Mostow directed U-571 & T-3, so IMO he was a good director to handle a big budget action Pilot. I mean It's supposed to be a fun summer action series, not Tora! Tora! Tora!, Midway or Das Boot the series. I heard this is one of the most expensive shows TNT is making. Over $2M per episode.

I read a comment on the Facebook page someone thought the Plot had some similarities to the old movie On the Beach. Never seen that movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053137/

I read that Hank Steinberg (the EP of the show) got the full cooperation from the U.S. Navy and they had a technical adviser on set during filming to try to maintain some accuracy. Steinberg said that he likes the short episode order of 10 episodes.

I did think it was stupid how that one officer got exposed to the virus.

I mean really? Falling down the stairs and landing on a body with his mask falling off & getting in direct contact with the blood on the body? Ok, that was pretty idiotic.

Alot of pressure for Rhona Mitra in the tiny lab to save the world.

This premiere was way better than Falling Skies tonight. Falling Skies was a mess.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-23-14 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 04:15 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I liked it enough to keep watching.
Old 06-23-14, 07:09 AM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I thought it was decent. I don't know if it was the acting that was so bad or the dialogue. The actors can only say what's in the script and some of the exchanges were laughable.

All in all, could turn out to be decent summer fare. I'll stick around for a couple weeks to see where it goes.
Old 06-23-14, 09:08 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was ok, nothing tremendous. You can EASILY see where this whole thing is going to go and everything they will do with it. All the plot lines have been done before and will be very cliche'.

I will DVR it and put it on when I have nothing else to watch and I am in the middle of doing 100 other things as there definitely won't be anything in this show that I needs my undivided critical attention.
Old 06-23-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GCS
It was ok, nothing tremendous. You can EASILY see where this whole thing is going to go and everything they will do with it. All the plot lines have been done before and will be very cliche'.

I will DVR it and put it on when I have nothing else to watch and I am in the middle of doing 100 other things as there definitely won't be anything in this show that I needs my undivided critical attention.
Last Resort sort of took on a similar premise, but with nuclear war involved and their crew being labeled as rogue.

But, how many Naval destroyer action shows have been done in say the last 10 years? I don't think the show is as low end, unmemorable background noise as you think it is. Production value is top notch and the cast is decent. Yeah they can work on the dialogue and character development more, but that comes with time. But sure the post apocalyptic element has been done before, but I think there is enough here to make this feel different. Looks like TNT really spent some money here to make this more than their typical dramas like more of an event show.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-23-14 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 11:46 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not denying that. The parts I like are the warship action scenes by far.

What I am getting at is they clearly have a "double agent" storyline planned, a mutiny planned (i.e. the XO), the desperate search for fuel/food since we don't have enough planned etc. I have 0 issue with them working/finding the cure being rogue (or not depending on how you look at it) etc but the whole double agent and mutiny angles are so overused its not funny. Perhaps I will be proven wrong that they won't go down those roads but in the first ep alone they have already laid all the ground work for it.

Stick with the fight to find the cure, exploring, defending etc. No need to manufacture old tired plot lines that have been used more times than I can count, that's all I am saying.
Old 06-23-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GCS
Not denying that. The parts I like are the warship action scenes by far.

What I am getting at is they clearly have a "double agent" storyline planned, a mutiny planned (i.e. the XO), the desperate search for fuel/food since we don't have enough planned etc. I have 0 issue with them working/finding the cure being rogue (or not depending on how you look at it) etc but the whole double agent and mutiny angles are so overused its not funny. Perhaps I will be proven wrong that they won't go down those roads but in the first ep alone they have already laid all the ground work for it.

Stick with the fight to find the cure, exploring, defending etc. No need to manufacture old tired plot lines that have been used more times than I can count, that's all I am saying.
Gotcha. Fair enough argument.
Old 06-23-14, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We enjoyed it. Liked the use of the destroyer (though not sure you could hit a helicopter w the 5" (3"?) main gun). The cruise "ship of the dead" was creepy but would you want to pick up cans of food w airborne virus? (Unless they planned to jump it in alcohol first ... )

So who was nuking whom?
Old 06-23-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...on-tnt/276051/

Huge ratings. 7.4M viewers...5.3M in the first airing. With DVR playback factored in, could be close to 10M viewers. Perfect escapism entertainment.
Old 06-23-14, 02:27 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
We enjoyed it. Liked the use of the destroyer (though not sure you could hit a helicopter w the 5" (3"?) main gun).
I assume this is laser guided but who knows and yes I would have thought a 5" gun taking out a chopper was a bit "lucky". The sea whizz seems to be the best way to do it once its locked on and unloading a ridiculous amount of lead. I am not a gun person or naval warship person so who knows.

The cruise "ship of the dead" was creepy but would you want to pick up cans of food w airborne virus? (Unless they planned to jump it in alcohol first ... )
Agreed but seemed appropriate. It did strike me as being put in to try and get that "zombie/walking dead/world war z" vibe even though they weren't walking around of course.

So who was nuking whom?
I think it was France that got nuked ... by whom I am not sure we know that yeah but I am going to guess someone in the Russian faction which they are leading us to believe is behind the weaponizing of the virus (of course that is probably incorrect).
Old 06-23-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I thought it was decent. I don't know if it was the acting that was so bad or the dialogue. The actors can only say what's in the script and some of the exchanges were laughable.
I can allow that I may have been overly harsh on the acting due to the supremely stupid and cliché infested dialog the actors were fed.
Old 06-23-14, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I enjoyed it enough to keep watching. Yeah there may have been some parts that were but in all it was fun.
It's the first episode and time and time again we all see shows get bashed after only the first episode and a show actually turns out to be good after a not so good start.
I'll bet this gets going soon with some action on land and sea just as long as they dont drag things out too much like finding out that lab guy is shady.
Stuff like that can only go so far in such close quarters.
Old 06-23-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

It was at least entertaining. Wife and I laughed that both Norfolk and Mayport were shown with mountains in the distance.
Old 06-23-14, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Definitely entertaining but I agree -- they are setting up some tired concepts.
Old 06-23-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
The cruise "ship of the dead" was creepy but would you want to pick up cans of food w airborne virus?
I've always found the idea of ghost ships fascinating. Basically, I enjoy anything maritime related - especially cruises.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.