TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fargo (S1E10) -- Season Finale -- "Morton's Fork" -- 6/17/14

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-14, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Fargo (S1E10) -- Season Finale -- "Morton's Fork" -- 6/17/14

Episode 10 of 10

Plot: Molly takes the lead, while Gus follows a hunch. Lester takes control of a situation, and Malvo finds a new target.

When E! Online asked him to describe the final episode, Noah Hawley, writer of "Fargo," had only one word to say, "bloody."
-----

Can't wait!
Old 06-17-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Fargo -- Season Finale -- "Morton's Fork" -- 6/17/14

Isn't this the series finale? Or did they decide to do more than one season?

Oh, and official prediction...everyone dies except Molly.
Old 06-17-14, 08:57 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

The original concept was 1 mini series event. But we all know how that works out once things get raitings or acclaim. I'd have no problem if this turned into a limited anthology series, with Coen regulars making appearances. Nothing has been officially announced.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/25820...at-mini-series

Last edited by dex14; 06-17-14 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-17-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981

If it continues it's supposed to be an anthology series like American Horror Story and True Detective. The FX bosses made a comment that they would definitely not count out a second season of the show, and there have been a lot of articles lately about how the show will continue into season 2 (likely with completely different leads). I'd be down for a Lewbowski inspired season.

http://www.eonline.com/news/549488/f...moment-over-it
Old 06-17-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Feel free to change it to "series" finale, but I think there's a solid chance we'll see another story next year.
Old 06-17-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I honestly am more excited for this finale than I was for Game of Thrones, which is saying something.
Old 06-17-14, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Fargo (S1E10) -- Season Finale -- "Morton's Fork" -- 6/17/14

I agree. To me, with GoT, you have some idea of what you're going to get, but this show has kept me off balance throughout. I can't wait to see how it all gets wrapped up, and how Lester the Asshole meets his demise.
Old 06-17-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981

If it's one and done, they did a hell of a job with this.

And I hope you're wrong...
Old 06-17-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
If it continues it's supposed to be an anthology series like American Horror Story and True Detective. The FX bosses made a comment that they would definitely not count out a second season of the show, and there have been a lot of articles lately about how the show will continue into season 2 (likely with completely different leads). I'd be down for a Lewbowski inspired season.

http://www.eonline.com/news/549488/f...moment-over-it
This has been awesome but I do not want a yearly Coen-inspired show based on a different movie. That's too much.
Old 06-17-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no fucking clue what'll happen next in the show. That's why I love it.
Old 06-17-14, 10:17 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gus is the man!
Old 06-17-14, 10:29 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what ever happened to the deaf guy and the grocery store guy?
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty great finale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh
Old 06-17-14, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was hoping Malvo would live. Liked the finale, but wasn't blown away. I will buy this series day one though.
Old 06-18-14, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

It was an ok finale. Malvo's demise was a little too predictable for my liking but overall, I thought this was a great show.
Old 06-18-14, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I thought the ending was perfect. Some will find it anti-climactic but I thought it hit just the right tone.

LOVED Frances McDormand on the phone.
Old 06-18-14, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had girded myself for everyone buying the farm. Glad that didn't happen.
Old 06-18-14, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Not bad. Not as good as the rest of the season, but no real complaints.

Well, one complaint... Gus watching Malvo leave and not warning the cops was a bad idea that could've gotten some of them killed. In fact it pretty much got the FBI agents killed, and likely the car salesman.

Looks like one final nod to the movie with the "I'm proud of you, hon." I believe Margie said that to Norm about his art being selected for a stamp.
Old 06-18-14, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really hope they can bring back Billy Bob in a different role if there is another season, he was fantastic.
Old 06-18-14, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

The DLR plates was a nice touch. I guess the real final throw back to the movie was the actual film theme playing at the end.

Man, that was some great tv.
Old 06-18-14, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Well, one complaint... Gus watching Malvo leave and not warning the cops was a bad idea that could've gotten some of them killed. In fact it pretty much got the FBI agents killed, and likely the car salesman.
Malvo let him live. Both cars were gone when Lester went outside after the shootout.
Old 06-18-14, 03:50 AM

Enjoyed the show for the most part, mainly for Thornton, who I'm a huge fan of in general, but I didn't like Molly or Gus at all and would've preferred the show without them. I thought last week's episode was the best one. I agree that Malvo should have lived.

I immediately noticed a nod to No Country for Old Men when Molly opens the case containing Malvo's tapes. One of them was labeled Carson Wells, Woody Harrelson's character from the film.
Old 06-18-14, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd

LOVED Frances McDormand on the phone.
I must have missed this. When was it?
Old 06-18-14, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interview with Noah Hawley, writer and creator of the series

What was the most challenging aspect of the finale for you?

Endings are always tough. I sort of think about stories as a pyramid or a triangle. At the beginning or the base you have all these options. The closer you get to the end, the fewer options you have. I love the idea that if you can avoid becoming a slave to the plot, then you're in good shape. If characters drive the story, then you can give a satisfying ending to people.

The ending defied expectations in a few ways — namely that Molly didn't catch Malvo.

We are trained that with good vs. evil battles, we have these high noon faceoffs, but real life rarely works like that. It was about sculpting an ending that felt real. The end of the movie Fargo, when Bill Macy is arrested, Marge (Frances McDormand) isn't there because it's a different jurisdiction so she wouldn't there. It plays like real life. I always knew that Molly wasn't going to be there, just like Marge wasn't there.

The scene with Molly and her new family was mundane, but a happy ending. Did you always know it would be happy?

Yes. I like the moment of her getting the call. It was this huge event in her life, and now it was time to move on. As this huge thing happened, she had basically developed the family that was going to be her life here from out. We shot it as a oner. There is a power of a camera following her in and her sitting down on the sofa and letting them breathe. For the first time, we use the original theme from the movie, which is such a beautiful and powerful piece that I wanted to hold that for the right moment. Jeff's (Russo) score is so amazing, but it is a final connection to the movie.

Where did the scene with Molly's dad sitting on a porch with his gun come from?

In No Country For Old Men, there's a great scene where Tommy Lee Jones goes to visit the old guy in the wheelchair. They talk about his uncle or grandfather who was shot by Native Americans on his porch. That movie talks about how Tommy Lee Jones' dad was a sheriff. I liked the idea that there was a history that connected law-men, and I liked that Lou (Keith Carradine) could tell his daughter "I've seen this before. Once you see it you can't unsee it. As a father I don't want you to see what I've seen."

The show has a decent amount of long monologues. How do you decide when and where to use them?

You have Keith Carradine. He does so much with the material. There are a lot of parables and those moments. I really like that story within a story element. In a melodrama, he would say to her, "You're caught up in something really dangerous." In the Fargo world there's a story. It's for her to interpret.

It felt right that Gus killed Malvo. How did you decide that would be the case?

In the Coen's work, there is coincidence and realism and they accept that dynamic. At the same time, the universe keeps putting Malvo in front of Gus to deal with this cowardice he has.

How did you decide on Lester's fate?

I think there is a sense from Fargo, the movie, that justice was done in the end. If I'd been working all this time, and then people didn't have the same feeling of watching my show as watching the movie, I would be remiss. There was a point after episode 6 when there was a lot of feedback on how dark the show had become and the fear that it would end darkly. That was never my intent. There is this running theme in the Coen Brothers movie that the past will catch up with you if you live long enough.

What was your favorite part to write in the finale?

When I worked on Malvo's endgame, originally I had something more intricate where Billy went through a transformation to make himself look like an FBI agent. The only conversation I had about it with Billy, he said "It feels like a lot of effort just to get close to these guys. It's also the only thing he's done where you see him doing it and you know what he's doing and then he does it." I thought he was right about that. So I changed it to Malvo grabbing the guy from the used car lot and using him. I also decided the guy from the used car lot would be the guy who decided not to buy life insurance from Lester in the pilot. I liked that.

Are you already thinking about a second season?

I basically just wrapped post-production on the finale, so I'm going to try to get a couple weeks off here and try to turn my brain to what's next. I love telling stories in this tone of voice and making a Cohen Brothers movie, you get a lot of leeway you wouldn't get otherwise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.