Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chasing Life: Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Re: Chasing Life: Season One thread

I think I saw a preview for this through "First Look" at the movies last year. Something must have struck a cord because I kept my eye out for it on streaming services. Finally showed up through Netflix and I've slowly worked through the first season.

I agree the subject matter is dense and not always the most uplifting, however I think that helps give the show a unique edge. I really enjoyed the characters and storylines through the first season.
I did feel there was a bit of a stumble when the back half picked up, but I think that was the show trying to find a new voice for itself after the mid-season change. I think as the season wrapped up things hit their grove again.

One thing I particularly like is how the show devotes time to the other characters and fleshes out their lives. The writers also tweaked things as they went along. Brenna became much less annoying, and Natalie softened up the longer she was around.
Also at season finale
Spoiler:
I've never even heard of Sandpiper air!

Looking forward to season 2, although at this point I'll probably have to wait for Netflix to pick it up next summer.
Old 08-19-15, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Chasing Life: Series Thread

The last episode absolutely gutted me. Wow.
Old 08-19-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Goodbye Leo, we'll miss you. I didn't think that actor was going to hang around, which made the quick wedding all the more surprising. That is what happens kiddies when the producers go cheap and don't sign critical cast members to full deals. You lose a hot actor to better paying shows and opportunities.
Old 08-19-15, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't totally surprised by what happened. I haven't checked other sites, but I do wonder if some viewers are raging.
Old 08-19-15, 11:24 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Goodbye Leo, we'll miss you. I didn't think that actor was going to hang around, which made the quick wedding all the more surprising. That is what happens kiddies when the producers go cheap and don't sign critical cast members to full deals. You lose a hot actor to better paying shows and opportunities.
That guy has bounced around so many shows in recent memory.

Zero hour, The River, Once Upon a Time, Quarterlife, Halt and Catch Fire etc.
Old 08-20-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dominic is no Leo, which is where I guess the direction this show will take.

Poor cancer boy, getting slammed like that right in front of his face.
Old 08-26-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was a nice send-off for Leo, though I expected to see more of him as an imaginary conversation partner with April in it.

I thought it was funny they had April grieve for one episode and then suddenly everything seemed okay by that final scene. I guess they want to quickly move on from Leo.
Old 10-02-15, 03:43 PM

Bad news, ABC Family canned it. Article contains spoilers.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-family-828994
Old 10-02-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by writer106
Bad news, ABC Family canned it. Article contains spoilers.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-family-828994
Just watched the finale today. That's a bummer. No way that could work as a decent series finale with any kind of closure.

April's still in Italy and her fate is uncertain and George may be in trouble with the law for his involvement in his brother's death.

I follow Italia Ricci's Facebook page and she's not happy either. She asked fans to fight for it. The audience for this show is kind of niche, so I'm not certain any other network else would be interested. It doesn't fit the audiences for most other basic cable networks. Maybe Hallmark channel?

I know they shot part of the finale in Italy, but I was disappointed that it was only in the last 10 minutes of the show.
Old 10-02-15, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just watched the finale today. That's a bummer. No way that could work as a decent series finale with any kind of closure.

April's still in Italy and her fate is uncertain and George may be in trouble with the law for his involvement in his brother's death.

I follow Italia Ricci's Facebook page and she's not happy either. She asked fans to fight for it. The audience for this show is kind of niche, so I'm not certain any other network else would be interested. It doesn't fit the audiences for most other basic cable networks. Maybe Hallmark channel?

I know they shot part of the finale in Italy, but I was disappointed that it was only in the last 10 minutes of the show.
I fell behind on this show for a bit and watched the last three episodes yesterday. I agree, that finale can't work as a series finale.

I think maybe a few years back, Chasing Life would have worked well on USA. It would fit ok on Hallmark Channel. But I could see Hallmark Channel passing on a show like Chasing Life because of the bisexual sister storylines and the storylines that involved April's dad.

I like Italia Ricci and hope she gets other roles.
Old 10-03-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's no chance that Hallmark would touch Chasing Life. I watched this episode unaware it was going to be the final episode and thought it worked as a series finale for the most part. It did end on a very sad note with April seemingly accepting her fate and Finn looking in terrible shape.

I am not sure how much more they could have gotten out of April's cancer story-line in a season three. The show would have to have taken a different direction. ABC Family likely made the decision to cancel when Leo left.
Old 10-03-15, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

So never watched the show outside the trailers that showed during Switched at Birth or Pretty Little Liars, glad Leo got to marry April. I always wanted to watch this, but knowing ABC Family, I didn't think it would carry on. Glad to hear the actor of Leo got another role as I loved him on Greek.
Old 10-03-15, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There's no chance that Hallmark would touch Chasing Life. I watched this episode unaware it was going to be the final episode and thought it worked as a series finale for the most part. It did end on a very sad note with April seemingly accepting her fate and Finn looking in terrible shape.

I am not sure how much more they could have gotten out of April's cancer story-line in a season three. The show would have to have taken a different direction. ABC Family likely made the decision to cancel when Leo left.
Sadly you're probably right. A season 3 storyline would have been difficult to pull off. There is only so much crying and setbacks that April could experience in her life that would be compelling to viewers. They would have had to revamp it and make it more of a relationship/family drama than a show about a young woman fighting to stay alive.
Old 10-03-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Sadly you're probably right. A season 3 storyline would have been difficult to pull off. There is only so much crying and setbacks that April could experience in her life that would be compelling to viewers. They would have had to revamp it and make it more of a relationship/family drama than a show about a young woman fighting to stay alive.
So, kind of like Switched at Birth revamped their storyline, right?