Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

America's Got Talent -- Season Nine Thread -- (Stern, Mandel, Klum, Scary Spice)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent -- Season Nine Thread -- (Stern, Mandel, Klum, Scary Spice)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 08:10 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

With the talent search open to acts of all ages, "America's Got Talent" has brought the variety format back to the forefront of American culture by showcasing performers from across the country. The series is a true celebration of the American spirit, featuring a colorful array of singers, dancers, comedians, contortionists, impressionists, jugglers, magicians, ventriloquists and hopeful stars, all vying for their chance to win America's hearts and the $1 million prize.

Last season, Kenichi Ebina was voted the winner at the conclusion of an exciting live finale packed with special live performances. Kenichi Ebina is a self-taught dancer who infuses illusion, mime and special effects of sound, light and video into each dance performance. Ebina grew up in Japan until he was 20 years old, then moved to Connecticut as a student.

Last year's winner (and rightfully so):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S2edltPdP14" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Season 09 Discussion Thread.

An GO!

Last edited by Matto1020; 05-27-14 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-27-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent -- Season Nine Thread -- (Stern, Mandel, Klum, Scary Spice)

Haven't watched in a few seasons, definitely wanna get back into it.
Old 05-29-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent -- Season Nine Thread -- (Stern, Mandel, Klum, Scary Spice)

Good first ep.

Nick 's little bit was pretty good too.
Old 05-29-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesss! This is the only reality show I watch. I love it. Didn't know it had already started.

I hope Klum and Spice aren't so lame this year. Klum in particular was like a robot last season.
Old 05-29-14, 05:18 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bit that Howard Stern used the golden buzzer was hilarious. Original, simple yet freaking hilarious. I agreed with Howard and Howie, the funnest bit in a long while. I hope they can keep the bit going in the next round.
Old 05-29-14, 07:37 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

I enjoyed the first ep. This was easily the funniest "act" they've ever had on the show:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X-mULtmf-1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-29-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad the header on that gives up the prank.
Old 06-17-14, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

No real comment on the acts(all the usual stuff), but Mel B accidentally unplugging the buzzers to charge her phone was fucking hilarious.
Old 06-18-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

What size did her breasts get implanted to?
Old 07-23-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What is Wendy Liebman doing on this?
She's a legit stand-up and didn't she win another one if these talent shows?
Old 07-30-14, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Quiet thread... Is no one watching this?

Ye gods, the magicians were awful.

First, if your trick involves twitter, it already sucks.

Second, you could see the one guy fumbling around trying to select the right paper scrap.

Third, asked for Howie to give them a word from the paper. No, not that one. Is there a longer one?
Old 07-30-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll be honest - we used to watch this show:

I was a huge Stern fan (radio) and now he turned 60 and he is 'evolving' and wants to be a PR correct personality. Everyone on that show is sooo boring.

This year seems so Dull! Every single act is a singing act or one of those huge Von Trap family acts.
Old 07-30-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Quiet thread... Is no one watching this?

Ye gods, the magicians were awful.

First, if your trick involves twitter, it already sucks.

Second, you could see the one guy fumbling around trying to select the right paper scrap.

Third, asked for Howie to give them a word from the paper. No, not that one. Is there a longer one?
I noticed that when he was counting - he was discarding pieces of paper so that he could get down to his 'planted' piece of paper.
Old 07-30-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I'll be honest - we used to watch this show:

I was a huge Stern fan (radio) and now he turned 60 and he is 'evolving' and wants to be a PR correct personality. Everyone on that show is sooo boring.

This year seems so Dull! Every single act is a singing act or one of those huge Von Trap family acts.
I saw Stern in Manhattan a few weeks ago walking a dog, he appears to be way too happy with his life these days. That gets boring on Radio.

And jesus is he a tall son of a bitch.
Old 07-30-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm an episode or so behind, but they really need to abandon the 'keep the show balanced' crap. Why send 3 crappy dance groups through when you could fill those spots with a magician or musical act that is clearly better?
Old 07-30-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm not sure why they allow singing talents on this show. If you can sing, go to American Idol or X Factor but unless you have ORIGINAL material that kicks ass, you cannot win this show as a singer.
Old 07-30-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stern was pretty funny the other day when they had all the judges on and Howie kept calling Mel a ****.

edit: Stupid cunt filter.
Old 07-30-14, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm not sure why they allow singing talents on this show. If you can sing, go to American Idol or X Factor but unless you have ORIGINAL material that kicks ass, you cannot win this show as a singer.
Singing is talent. AGT has had a decent amount of good singing acts the past few years. Worth $1m? Probably never, but the other vocal talent shows are never going to showcase opera, acapella, coffee house acts, blues, etc. There's way more musical variety on AGT then you'll ever see on the Voice or Idol.
Old 07-30-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I still watch. Mainly for Stern. It's a nice summer diversion to have on in the background.
Old 08-07-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad the swinging animation chick got through. I love those types of acts.

And Stern was definitely correct about that rollerblading dancer guy. He was even right about the phony loud guffaws from Howie and Mel B.

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 08-07-14 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-07-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah I'm still watching as well. Not a great show, but at least there is variety and this is the only reality/contest show I enjoy.

This year has been pretty bad though. Lots of boring acts and the hyperbole from the judges (best talent ever this season!) is even more ridiculous as a result. A couple of the bands are really good, and that's about it. I also like the animation/acrobatics woman.

The magician last night was stupid. I hate tricks like that so much. The card's in Howie's pocket! OMG!!! Illusions are one thing, but like Colin's Key last season, when your tricks escalate like that with multiple reveals and have these seemingly impossible feats, you don't think, how did he do that? You just assume it was staged somehow and don't care. Howie's reaction seemed fake.
Old 08-21-14, 09:42 AM
Banned

Seems that DVDTalkers have pretty much abandoned this show. Like other posters, I have it on as background while doing computer work or sorting files & DVDs or going through papers to recycle.

As predicted, the 20 finalists includes mostly singers (9) including some really lame ones chosen only for their backstory or because they're "cute." Meanwhile, a lot of good acts that take far more talent...and were far more entertaining...got cut.

Once again the voting public shows little imagination. Magicians were next (3)...tied with the "acrobatic dance" acts (3), balancing acts (2), and then musicians, comic, and pure dance acts with one each.

Along with song truly bad singers, two of the magic acts were weak. The two guys' last tricks were horribly transparent, and Smoothini only proved that (as Stern pointed out) he needs to home his stagecraft for a large audience.

Will never happen, but I'd like to see singers, comedians, and "pure dance acts" eliminated from participating. I might allow the dancers since they are mostly team acts with multiple dancers (aside from the occasional pair), but all of those types of talent already have shows (multiple shows, in some categories) devoted to that genre.

And it seems to me to be unfair that singers...who only have to pick a new song, different arrangement, different song genre, or different backing instruments/backing vocals in order to be distinctive from previous performances. Meanwhile, some of the other acts have to keep upping the ante with more elaborate, imaginative, or dangerous techniques/routines; otherwise, they get criticized for being "repetitive." Really? Most of the singers just "sing" each week...sometimes in the same style (belting, over-the top, emo, etc.) as the previous performances.

The best most of the unusual acts can hope for is national exposure that will further their careers. To have a real chance of winning, they have to have a staggering display (like last year's Kimichi) that stands waaaay apart in quality from everyone else.
Old 08-21-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Seems that DVDTalkers have pretty much abandoned this show. Like other posters, I have it on as background while doing computer work or sorting files & DVDs or going through papers to recycle.

As predicted, the 20 finalists includes mostly singers (9) including some really lame ones chosen only for their backstory or because they're "cute." Meanwhile, a lot of good acts that take far more talent...and were far more entertaining...got cut.

Once again the voting public shows little imagination. Magicians were next (3)...tied with the "acrobatic dance" acts (3), balancing acts (2), and then musicians, comic, and pure dance acts with one each.

Along with song truly bad singers, two of the magic acts were weak. The two guys' last tricks were horribly transparent, and Smoothini only proved that (as Stern pointed out) he needs to home his stagecraft for a large audience.

Will never happen, but I'd like to see singers, comedians, and "pure dance acts" eliminated from participating. I might allow the dancers since they are mostly team acts with multiple dancers (aside from the occasional pair), but all of those types of talent already have shows (multiple shows, in some categories) devoted to that genre.

And it seems to me to be unfair that singers...who only have to pick a new song, different arrangement, different song genre, or different backing instruments/backing vocals in order to be distinctive from previous performances. Meanwhile, some of the other acts have to keep upping the ante with more elaborate, imaginative, or dangerous techniques/routines; otherwise, they get criticized for being "repetitive." Really? Most of the singers just "sing" each week...sometimes in the same style (belting, over-the top, emo, etc.) as the previous performances.

The best most of the unusual acts can hope for is national exposure that will further their careers. To have a real chance of winning, they have to have a staggering display (like last year's Kimichi) that stands waaaay apart in quality from everyone else.
Totally agree about the singing and dancing acts... there are SPECIFIC shows for that type of talent. Unless you're bringing an ability to write your own music and songs you shouldn't be on AGT.

Also - Nick Cannon is a chore to watch, IMO. From his ridiculous "suits" to his predictable schtick, it gets old quick.
Old 08-21-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, I think Nick is great at his "schtick." He gets along with the contestants great and is pretty solid at consoling people that get sent packing. His banter with the judges is solid as well.

Of course my only comparison is Carson Daly on the Voice. I think they could swap him out with a wooden 2x4 with a mic and most people wouldn't notice.

:shug: I'm digging the magicians this year but I do agree, Smoothini dropped the ball this week. His first trick on the show was fantastic but he hasn't matched it yet.
Old 08-21-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still watching.
Smoothdini is more like Shamdini.
He's awful.
Amateurish and completely transparent.
Him and the kids throwing cards made it this far is a joke.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.