Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

America's Got Talent -- Season Nine Thread -- (Stern, Mandel, Klum, Scary Spice)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent -- Season Nine Thread -- (Stern, Mandel, Klum, Scary Spice)

Old 08-27-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent -- Season Nine Thread -- (Stern, Mandel, Klum, Scary Spice)

over the last few episodes two of the magician acts did a trick that was done on Penn and Teller fool us.
Shamdini did a gold fish trick with one fish that was the same as Teller' s trick he did with about a hundred goldfish.

Then last night the two coffee cookers did the nail in the bag trick that was also on Penn and Teller last week.
Old 09-17-14, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent -- Season Nine Thread -- (Stern, Mandel, Klum, Scary Spice)

Finally, a magician won. Right choice. Franco was on every week. Glad a singing act didn't win. Emily West looks like a cat with her weird face.
Old 09-18-14, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Weak season.

Slightly better then averagesingers and 2 bit magic acts.

Including the guy who won.

His card tricks are barely good enough for parties and be actually did the ball and cup trick on the last performance episode.

Weak.
Old 09-18-14, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Yep... hard to believe he won with those two old hats.

"Out of this World" Card Trick

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/quLItiWEKro" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8osRaFTtgHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 09-18-14 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-18-14, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm assuming the people who voted for the magician have never seen a magic act in their life. Not only should he not have won, but he should have been voted off long ago. He is not a good magician. The only positive I can say about him is that he was at least better than Smoothini.
Old 09-18-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
and be actually did the ball and cup trick on the last performance episode.

To be fair, he ridiculously had to redo a past trick which is pretty dumb for non-singers. Have, at most, a week to figure out how to do that and make it somewhat fresh and bring out a new trick was pretty impressive.
Old 09-18-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

I would have been really bummed if a singer won... I liked that Acrobat Army or whatever they were called... that was real talent.
Old 09-18-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

How many people are in AcroArmy? If they had won, each person would have gotten around $1000 a year for 40 years.

A single winner gets $25K a year for 40 years.
Old 09-18-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad Emily West didn't win, she was a damn ringer. Not that I don't think she's talented. Anyway she pretty much won by just getting into the top 6. I'm sure she'll have a record contract shortly if she didn't already months ago.
Old 09-19-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by windom
How many people are in AcroArmy? If they had won, each person would have gotten around $1000 a year for 40 years.

A single winner gets $25K a year for 40 years.
Is that really true? What a bunch of a---holes. They pay Howard Stern all t his money and can't award the winner a lump sum? Very, very lame.
Old 09-19-14, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Is that really true? What a bunch of a---holes. They pay Howard Stern all t his money and can't award the winner a lump sum? Very, very lame.
Yep says it right in the disclaimer at the end of the show.
1m spread over 40 years.
Old 09-19-14, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Every single award show that pays out large sums of money does that long annuity thing.
Old 09-19-14, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Or an optional lump sum payout of about $15,000 each, or about $10K after taxes.

So the winner's optional lump sum payout was probably just over $200,000 after taxes.
Old 09-21-14, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Despite Howie and Howard's constant "greatest season evar!!!0101011!" hyperbole, I do think overall voters got the top 12 mostly right. The only two I disagreed with were Miguel (who should have been gone weeks ago) and the stupid balance guy with the dog. The two cellists should have made the top 6. So outside of Miguel I was fine with any of the other 5 winning.

That being said, Emily was easily the best singer, but kinda shady since she had a career in music. Quintavious was pretty fucking awesome. I also loved Sons of Serendip but I could see their mellow style not being for everyone. Matt had done some cool tricks and some shit we've seen before, he had charisma though which counts for some. I can't hold that against him though since singers do the same thing every week.

That leaves Acro Army. I wasn't too impressed early on but they lit it up the past few weeks. I think out of the 5, I'd give them the edge for the $1m. Very polished stage show ready for Vegas.

I get the gripes about singers being on the show, but how many have actually won? This is my third season and no singer has won in the last 3 years.
Old 09-21-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5 out of 6 in the other 6 seasons. And the 1 I'm not calling a singer is Terry Fator who does sing but he's a ventriloquist.
Old 09-22-14, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh, wow. That is a bit much.
Old 09-22-14, 07:50 AM
Banned

Yep, it's sad that voters either just vote for the cutest or actually think that singing requires so much more talent than other skills...which is bizarre considering how many good singers one encounters in everyday life in even the smallest towns. I've heard middle school kids from a tiny community flawlessly cover Celine Dion, for instance. Not saying that it's easy to make it in the music industry these days or become a star...but just being able to sing well is not that rare.

On the other hand, you don't often see acrobatics done at the level of Acro Army. I was kinda lukewarm toward them at first since I've seen a lot of tumbling/cheerleading stuff and put them in that category, but they kept upping the ante throughout the season. And I was blown away by the finale performances...didn't think there was any way that they could do two distinct performances in the same night without appearing repetitive and a bit boring. Stern was right...the singers just pick a new song, different genre, different tempo or arrangement, etc...but they don't have to change their actual skill set. The acrobats, on the other hand, have to come up with different presentations to avoid being a one-trick pony.

Also keep in mind the pressure the acrobats are under. If they mess up, the entire routine falls apart...and someone might get seriously injured. Singers can fit a flat note now & then but recover.

I was hoping AA would win. Liked all of the finalists but the other five all stumbled in some way during the finale). Quintavious sounds the same every song, West oversang the quiet "First Time Ever....", Franco's patter was distracting (supposed to be, I know, but it interfered with the act), Serendip (my favorite singing act) was too mellow & a little off vocally, and Dakota was average (like "Billy Jean" but immediately forgot the other performance). AA held my attention through both performances.

And, yeah, it's cheap to string out the prize money over 40 years given the revenue the show produces.
Old 09-22-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Good point about acts versus singers. Its easy to see when a dance/acrobat group makes a mistake. It's much harder to hear a missed note or a singer being off key to most. My wife sings and said Serendip was flat at one point during their final performance but I couldn't tell.
Old 09-22-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Acro Army should have won.