Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gang Related (FOX) - S: O'Quinn, Kang, Rodriguez, RZA -- Thursdays

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Gang Related (FOX) - S: O'Quinn, Kang, Rodriguez, RZA -- Thursdays

EVERY VILLAIN HAS A NOBLE CAUSE, EVERY HERO HAS A DARK SIDE ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "GANG RELATED" THURSDAY, MAY 22, ON FOX

Gritty new action-drama GANG RELATED centers on Detective RYAN LOPEZ (Ramon Rodriguez), a rising star in Los Angeles' elite Gang Task Force who long before he became a cop, pledged allegiance to a different band of brothers - a powerful Latino gang called Los Angelicos. When Ryan's best friend and police partner is senselessly killed by a notorious gang member, he teams up with longtime Task Force member CASSIUS GREEN (RZA), who has been at the forefront of the city's war on organized crime. Despite his profession, Ryan is still beholden to the gang's leader, JAVIER ACOSTA (Cliff Curtis), the father figure he has tried to make proud his entire life and the man who masterminded his entry into the police force. It's a secret that has been held for a decade by Ryan, Javier and Javier's sons: cold-blooded gang lieutenant CARLOS (Rey Gallegos); and straight-laced investment banker DANIEL (Jay Hernandez), Ryan's childhood best friend. But Ryan is starting to realize that he might be more dedicated to being a cop than he is to Los Angelicos. He is respected by his team, including TAE KIM (Sung Kang), VERONICA "VEE" DOTSEN (Inbar Lavi) and Task Force leader SAM CHAPEL (Terry O'Quinn), Ryan's other surrogate father figure, whose estranged daughter, JESSICA (Shantel VanSanten), is the city's Assistant District Attorney in the all-new "Pilot" Series Premiere episode of GANG RELATED airing Thursday, May 22 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GAN-101) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Cast: Ramon Rodriguez as Ryan Lopez; RZA as Cassius Green; Terry O'Quinn as Sam Chapel; Cliff Curtis as Javier Acosta; Jay Hernandez as Daniel Acosta; Sung Kang as Tae Kim; Inbar Lavi as Veronica "Vee" Dotsen; Shantel VanSanten as Jessica Chapel; and Rey Gallegos as Carlos Acosta

13 episodes ordered. This was ordered in the 2013 upfronts as a summer 2014 series. Very weird strategy for this series.

Chris Morgan, who wrote Fast and Furious movies (Parts 3 through 7) is the creator of this series. He wrote the Pilot. Allen Hughes, from the Hughes brothers directed it.

Skeet Rosenbaum, who worked with Shawn Ryan on The Shield, is the Executive Producer and showrunner.

Here's an interview with Rosenbaum with Daniel Fienberg from Hitfix.com.

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print...isons-and-more

Fienberg liked it and he is picky as hell just like Sepinwall. Opinions from some TV critics are kind of mixed about this show.

Here's the trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aCz7j1ekE1U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This has been described as a TV version of The Departed with Mexican gangs. It's not a Police procedural. I'm not expecting a mountain of discussion, so I'm doing 1 thread for this season, especially since it's a summer series and not many of you watch network shows in the summer. We'll see what happens.
Old 05-22-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Gang Related (FOX) - S: O'Quinn, Kang, Rodriguez, RZA -- Thursdays

RZA? The RZA???? SOLD.

But yeah the ads don't do much for me so I may hold off a few weeks to see what everyone thinks.
Old 05-22-14, 03:29 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Yea...thos just doesn't look appealing at all for some reason. I get a Chicago Code feeling about this. I'll DVR and let it build up while I wait to hear how it is.
Old 05-22-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I'll watch a few eps but only because I recently did tech work for a live comedy show and one of the performers was Jully Lee, who has a part in this show. Not big enough of a part to make the main character list, apparently. Might have to freeze frame the DVR to see her.
Old 05-22-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I think the Asian guy from the Fast & Furious movies is in this series.

I know Cliff Curtis can't be his real name and he must have changed it when he became a actor.

Old 05-22-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I think the Asian guy from the Fast & Furious movies is in this series.

I know Cliff Curtis can't be his real name and he must have changed it when he became a actor.

Yes, Sung Kang is on this. The creator of this show worked with him on the Fast and Furious movies.

Cliff Curtis is indeed his real name. He's a New Zealand-born actor of Maori descent. He always gets cast as Mexicans or Arab terrorists.
Old 05-23-14, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow
not bad pilot
better than i expected
Old 05-23-14, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Wow, that was actually pretty good. Was pleasantly surprised.

For those of you who watched the trailers and promos and weren't impressed or compelled to watch thinking this was just another cop show, this was more of a Mexican crime family drama. The comparison to The Departed was pretty dead on and I saw a little bit of USA's Graceland in this.

Had some grittiness to it, but being on network TV, they obviously had some limits. I think it set the story up pretty well. Was pretty impressed with Ramon Rodriguez. He's really the lead of the series.

and I did not expect that ending. That was pretty cold blooded. Now Lopez is really playing both sides.

Since Skeet Rosenbaum is the showrunner, it was cool to see him bring in Jay Karnes from The Shield in this as the IA guy. He already sees Lopez as being shady. I liked O'Quinn as the leader of the task force.

at the Latina cop zapping the Korean gang members nuts.

The Pilot sold me. I'm in the remaining 12 episodes.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-23-14 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-23-14, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Interesting thing to mention about Shantel VanSanten, who played the ADA/Chapel's daughter.

Spoiling it because it could impact a later storyline.

Spoiler:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...nsanten-687439

She signed on as the lead of the CW series "The Messengers." It's in 1st position to Gang Related. Whether or not Gang Related gets a 2nd season, she's done after 1 season.

Old 05-24-14, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I really enjoyed the pilot to this. It had some good drama and some good action.
Old 05-25-14, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It was a decent pilot with a very strong cast, aside from the Rza. A musical genius that is still touch and go as an actor. The strong lineup of actors covered up for the somewhat generic storylines, ripped from a bunch of movies and older shows.

I'll stick around, though I agree that Fox's strategy for this show is very strange. I hope it doesn't indicate they think it's a weak show and needs light competition to succeed.
Old 05-30-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

2nd episode that aired on Thursday was pretty good too.

Very slickly produced show with good action and a good score.

9 times out of 10, someone with that many gunshot wounds would be dead. But, I guess keeping Carlos alive brings alot of tension for Ryan since he was responsible.

at the old black lady who gave Chapel the bird and it was actually blurred out. at all the neighbors throwing thrash at the GTF.

Sucks that Vee got stuck with the HIV infected needle.
Old 05-30-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I hate most cop shows but I might just check this out because of Bobby Digital. doodoodoodoo!
Old 06-01-14, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

The 2nd episode was really, really good. Wasn't expecting this for a summer show.

In for the long haul (well, hopefully it doesn't get cancelled)
Old 06-02-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

The first time I saw him was in Once Were Warriors back in '94. He's been in a lot of movies. OWW is worth a look if you've never seen it.
Old 06-02-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This show is fucking great. Which of course means it will be cancelled. I'll watch whatever they air.
Old 06-06-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The colostomy bag was one of those Scared Straight moments.
Old 06-07-14, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk God

3rd episode was pretty good too.

Shame that FOX didn't give this show a shot during the regular season when more people would be watching. But, it's nice to have an action serial during the summer in addition to 24.

The shootout against the assault team was pretty intense. I don't consider myself a RZA fan, but he's been good on this show and has chemistry with Rodriguez in their scenes together. Judging by that ending, I guess they are leading us to believe that Lopez gave Acosta Diaz's alias and those guards were paid off by the drug dealer. Cliff Curtis has been good as Acosta.

The Colostomy bag scene was interesting. I actually kind of felt bad for Carlos.
Old 06-07-14, 09:58 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, this show is turning out better than I expected. Not prefect, but so far I'm finding it really interesting.
Old 06-20-14, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Some crazy stuff tonight.

The Asian guy yanking his eye balls out after getting high on that drug butter.

Then at the end if the episode, Acosta's henchman slitting the throat of Carlos' friend to teach him a lesson. Especially after Ryan ratted him out. That was pretty hardcore.

Really don't know how long can Ryan keep up this charade playing both sides, but so far this has been pretty entertaining every week.
Old 06-20-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Yea, I am impressed caught last nights show by chance and wow...sucked me right in. Even though I haven't seen the first few.
Old 06-20-14, 03:40 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I had my DVR set to record the series...for some reason new episodes havent been showing up as NEW so they weren't recording. Oh well... will catch on demand or Netflix, depending if this gets another season.
Old 06-20-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14
I had my DVR set to record the series...for some reason new episodes havent been showing up as NEW so they weren't recording. Oh well... will catch on demand or Netflix, depending if this gets another season.
http://www.fox.com/watch/279523907855

All 5 episodes that have aired on available on FOX.com, Hulu Plus and FOX on Demand. Unless, you don't have time to watch.

Outside of 24, this is pretty much the only other scripted network action series right now.
Old 07-09-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder if I am the only one still watching. I also wonder if they are playing it up such that Terry O'Quinn's character has known all along who the mole was.

And given that last episode, I can see them playing this out such that the mole arrests the competing Don just before being publicly revealed as the mole. And then they both mysteriously disappear.
Old 07-09-14, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Wonder if I am the only one still watching. I also wonder if they are playing it up such that Terry O'Quinn's character has known all along who the mole was.

And given that last episode, I can see them playing this out such that the mole arrests the competing Don just before being publicly revealed as the mole. And then they both mysteriously disappear.

Yes, I'm one of the few watching this show as well. I don't know how this season finishes, but I hope Lopez gets caught and jailed at the end of the season even though they are playing up the divided loyalties angle.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.