True Detective (HBO) -- Season 2 News, Rumors

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

True Detective (HBO) -- Season 2 News, Rumors

Old 07-10-14, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: True Detective (HBO) -- Season 2 News, Rumors

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...our-leads.html

Season 2 will now have 4 lead actors and is set in California. They have not officially cast anyone either.

Also, there will be more than 1 director.
Old 07-11-14, 12:33 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Colin Farrell in talks: http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/coli...e-detective-2/
Old 07-11-14, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Farrell news is blowing up over all the outlets. If he signs on this is an unexpected but fantastic move imo. Been a fan of his since Tigerland. Pushing him as some action star has been a mistake but acting-wise he's proven he's got chops. Could be a seminal, career-changing role for him.

--
Old 07-11-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

He's an excellent actor that has been overshadowed by weak movies, being a bit of a douche and having a big wang.
Old 07-11-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I am okay with this, at least we know the 'level' of actor we could hope to see.
Old 07-11-14, 01:47 PM

Taylor Kitsch (just got done with HBO's The Normal Heart) and Garrett Hedlund also rumored: http://www.thewrap.com/colin-farrell...sch-also-eyed/
Old 07-11-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kitsch was lined up as the 20's something prototype if I recall, maybe Hedlund also fighting for that role.
Old 07-11-14, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Kitsch was lined up as the 20's something prototype if I recall, maybe Hedlund also fighting for that role.
That's how the article makes it sound.
Old 07-11-14, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So sounds like Farrell, Kitsch, and now who fills the female lead.
Old 07-11-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
He's an excellent actor that has been overshadowed by weak movies, being a bit of a douche and having a big wang.
In Bruges is one of my favorite films and in my opinion, one of the best films of the past 10 years. He was incredible in that role and I hope he signs on for True Detective.
Old 07-11-14, 01:54 PM

I agree with all the positives on Farrell. I think he's a really great actor who's just been in a lot of really not so great movies. I think he has done some solid work. In Bruge is amazing, as all mentioned. I really liked him in Crazy Heart as well. I didn't think much of the Fright Night remake, but he was awesome in it.
Old 07-11-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I even enjoyed what little he had to do in Total Recall. But I generally love Sci-fi films.
Old 07-11-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Farrell has been in some crap but I think his better movies outweigh it (In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths, and Miami Vice).

He'd be great in this.
Old 07-11-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I have yet to witness a Colin Farrell performance I've enjoyed. I've enjoyed some of the movies he's been in, but despite him not because of him.
Old 07-11-14, 03:32 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm still gunning for Brad Pitt to be cast in some capacity. Can't argue with Farrell and Kitsch - both seem like solid choices. Female lead should be interesting. Since Boardwalk Empire is wrapping up its final season in the fall, maybe a nomination for Kelly MacDonald is in order?
Old 08-04-14, 02:19 PM

The True Detective Season 2 rumor mill has churned out another name: Vince Vaughn.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the Swingers actor is in preliminary talks to play one of the three leads in the HBO drama’s upcoming second season.

In mid-July, word spread that Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch are reportedly in serious discussions for two of the season’s lead roles, while series creator Nic Pizzolatto has said that the new season will be set in California and feature “four central roles.”

At the Television Critics Association summer press tour last month, HBO president Michael Lombardo said a Season 2 casting announcement was imminent, adding, “[T]he two scripts we have are…more exciting than the first season.”
http://tvline.com/2014/08/04/vince-v...on-2-cast-hbo/
Old 08-04-14, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

That's an interesting prospective choice. Vaughn can pull off drama. I recall he had a few drama roles earlier in his career like Return to Paradise.
Old 08-04-14, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

I'm hoping they team Vaughn with Owen Wilson. It would be amazing if they could pull off doing drama together. Or just remake the season 1 with them doing it as a comedy.
Old 08-04-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vaughn is a much better dramatic actor than he is in comedies. At least in dramas he's not the same one-note guy in every movie.
Old 08-04-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I actually don't really mind Vaugh. A lot of his stuff is very similar but he's likable enough. I know people hate the film but I actually didn't think he was terrible in Gus Van Sant's remake of Psycho. It would have been hard for anyone to top Anthony Perkins and the remake being done shot for shot essentially wasn't the smartest choice.
Old 08-04-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vince Vaughn huh? He is definitely someone that could use a rebound.
Old 08-04-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

My big problem with this is my wife hates Vince Vaughn (she was just complaining about him the other night to someone), so I worry that it will hurt my attempts to watch it with her.

But she also wasn't a McConaughey fan and was won over by him in season 1. So maybe it will work.
Old 08-04-14, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson to Colin Farrel, Taylor Kitsch, and Vince Vaughn? That kind of bums me out. They'll need to really knock that final spot out of the park to get me excited about season 2. It isn't that any of those actors are terrible, but they don't remotely draw me to a series, whereas McConaughey and Harrelson was an instant, 100% sale for the wife and I. The early Brad Pitt rumors were OMGWTF, we have a TV show that could be pulling mega talent every year for single seasons, and that's super cool, conceptually.
Old 08-04-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

I thought Colin Farrel was out of this project?
Old 08-04-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk God

The Wrap has more details. Farrell is reportedly close to signing on. Kitsch is still being courted as the young male lead.

Elisabeth Moss is being considered for the female lead. Michelle Forbes from The Killing and Orphan Black is also being courted for a part.

Vaughn is also mentioned as previously noted earlier.

Here's the details:

http://www.thewrap.com/true-detectiv...moss-circling/

According to a breakdown obtained by TheWrap, the second season of “True Detective” will follow the death of Ben Caspar, the corrupt city manager of a fictional California city who's found brutally murdered amid a potentially groundbreaking transportation deal that would forever change freeway gridlock in the state. Three law enforcement officers from different cities and branches of the government are tasked with finding out who did it. They soon discover their investigation has much broader and darker implications than they initially thought.

Caspar's 52-year-old corpse is found on a lonely stretch of Pacific Coast Highway near Big Sur — his eye burned out, genitals cut off and satanic symbols etched on his chest. It turns out he had a penchant for rough sex and may have been involved in the occult.

Vaughn is in talks to play Frank Semyon, a former thug-turned-businessman who's working with a local mayor and his political cohorts to spearhead the construction of a high-speed railway system that links Southern California to Northern California in order to reap financial gains from federal grants and land purchases.

Moss, who recently played a small-town cop in the similarly themed, “Top of the Lake,” is being eyed to play Ani Bezzerides, a tough, no-nonsense Monterey sheriff whose troubled upbringing has driven her to gambling and alcohol. She reports to Sheriff James O'Neil and Deputy Sheriff Marla Simenon, and her partner, Elvis Ilinca, may have a crush on her. Ani also has both a hippie-type father who was absent when she was growing up, as well as a younger sister who isn't afraid to show off her body. She's also looking into the disappearance of a former classmate's sister.

Farrell is nearing a deal to play Ray Velcoro, who has been damaged by years of turmoil in both his personal and professional lives. A barely functioning coke-head with anger issues, he's on Frank's payroll and is battling his ex-wife for custody of their only son, Chad.

Kitsch is angling for the role of Paul Woodrugh, a handsome, 28-year-old military veteran who has seen his own share of violence and destruction. He's a motorcycle California Highway Patrol officer who's put on leave after soliciting oral sex from a beautiful girl he pulls over for drunk driving. He reports to Commander Floyd Heschmeyer and has a Latino girlfriend he breaks up with when he's assigned to the Caspar investigation.

Forbes, who starred on the first season of “The Killing,” has been rumored for a part on “True Detective,” and it's possible she could play either Farrell's ex-wife (a survivor of sexual assault) or Vaughn's charming but mercurial wife.

TheWrap previously reported that the second season of “True Detective” would feature three leads — two men and one woman — while series creator Nic Pizzolatto has said there will be four leads. While the three investigators are clearly the leads, it's understandable why Pizzolatto often referred to the season's primary antagonist as a fourth lead — he was writing the role with movie star Vaughn in mind, which explains the discrepancy in semantics.

Pizzolatto is still fine-tuning the script as HBO searches for multiple directors to tackle the second season. Cary Fukunaga directed every episode of the first season, but HBO does not expect a filmmaker to commit to the entire second season, and is looking to hire several directors for multiple episodes — possibly two or three apiece.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.