Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore (Comedy Central) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore (Comedy Central) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
I don't think I can take watching a show that's solely based on race. It's just tiring anymore.
No one has ever said the show is going to focus on race. From the show's website:

"The Nightly Show will provide viewers with Larry Wilmore's distinct point of view and comedic take on current events and pop culture."
Old 01-22-15, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore (Comedy Central) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
No one has ever said the show is going to focus on race. From the show's website:

"The Nightly Show will provide viewers with Larry Wilmore's distinct point of view and comedic take on current events and pop culture."
I was thinking that the "distinct point of view" was going to be about race relations and what not. Maybe I got confused because it was originally going to be called Minority Report.

And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that angle on stories, but I just didn't want to commit to watching that night after night.
Old 01-22-15, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Trust me, I'm in the minority out there who doesn't want a partisan point of view on every network/show
Sadly.
Old 01-22-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Carson's jabs were apolitical, just like the rest of the major network late night hosts. The jokes are based on general characteristics of a politician (Dan Quale is dumb, Clinton was overweight), or about specific scandals (Monica Lewinsky, Watergate, etc). No jokes about actual policy or legislation.

I expect Colbert's jokes on Late Show to be similarly apolitical.
Yeah I feel like his jokes were a more us vs. them scenario in regards to politicians in general and the rest of the population.
Old 01-22-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't watched the most recent episode, but Larry Wilmore did poke fun at Al Sharpton on the first episode. I don't really see him as "partisan".

He seems much more reasonable and nuanced for his side, especially compared to Fox News who just has a lot of white panelists dismissing black people and calling them thugs.
Old 01-22-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Carson's jabs were apolitical, just like the rest of the major network late night hosts. The jokes are based on general characteristics of a politician (Dan Quale is dumb, Clinton was overweight), or about specific scandals (Monica Lewinsky, Watergate, etc). No jokes about actual policy or legislation.

I expect Colbert's jokes on Late Show to be similarly apolitical.
I disagree as Letterman has gotten alot more liberal in the past 10 years. I go back to watching him on NBC at 12:30 and I honestly could never tell his political beliefs back then, even in his early days at CBS. But you could see he started to change when Colbert and Stewart came into late night in the 2000's, as Dave is a full-fledged liberal these days and doesnt hide it one bit. We all know that Colbert wont be in character like he was on Comedy Central, but I guarantee you will see his political bias sometimes on the show. The bottom line is they can't help it.
Old 01-22-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I was thinking that the "distinct point of view" was going to be about race relations and what not. Maybe I got confused because it was originally going to be called Minority Report.
Larry Wilmore has said that one thing he's glad about the name change is that the new title doesn't tie them down to the race-relations angle. It can be about all things, but from his point of view.

I disagree as Letterman has gotten alot more liberal in the past 10 years...
I wouldn't know, I haven't watched a major network talk show in over a decade.

I seriously doubt Leno ever did anything but bland, apolitical jokes that appealed to the broadest possible base though.
Old 01-22-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I wouldn't know, I haven't watched a major network talk show in over a decade.

I seriously doubt Leno ever did anything but bland, apolitical jokes that appealed to the broadest possible base though.
You're right about Leno, and the irony is he was always #1. Now don't get me wrong, I watched Letterman over Leno for many years, but Letterman definetly started to change during the post war Bush43 years, and that is when I believe EVERYTHING became partisan on TV with the rise of Colbert and Stewart. That is when I really just tuned out of all political shows, political satire shows, etc. Its just a bunch of people pushing their ideology for 30 or 60 minutes and its pretty insulting to people like me who see right through it.
Old 01-22-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right about Leno, and the irony is he was always #1.
Sure, but he wasn't someone I'd ever watch.

Its just a bunch of people pushing their ideology for 30 or 60 minutes and its pretty insulting to people like me who see right through it.
I'm really not sure what there is to "see right through." It's not like The Daily Show or Colbert Report ever hid their bias. And I don't have a problem with a bias, as long as it's presented in a funny, entertaining way.

I like late comedian Bill Hicks, and I found his act consistently amusing, even when he was espousing viewpoints I didn't agree with. Even when I didn't agree with the point of a joke, I could appreciate the humor of the joke.

Satire, by definition, has a viewpoint. You don't have to agree with the viewpoint to find it funny, and a joke isn't funny just because you agree with the viewpoint.
Old 01-22-15, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't care what the subject matter is as long as its entertaining and funny. I was one of those people that watched ILC over Seinfeld when they were head to head. And I'm pretty damn lily white.

This show just isn't entertaining or funny, and now it's starting to plagiarize. They had a segment the other day that just ripped of "How He Doing" from SNL. Blatantly. That was the end of this show for me.

I doubt this lasts more than it's first season. It's just not good. I would have prefer they gave Wyatt Senac or Jessica Williams a show.
Old 01-22-15, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

What was the first name of the show?
Old 01-22-15, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
What was the first name of the show?
Maybe I got confused because it was originally going to be called Minority Report.
Old 01-23-15, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I'm just not feeling this show. Watched the episodes so far and I felt like turning it off pretty much every episode because it just wasn't clicking for me.

The panel spit firing just is.. meh.
Old 01-23-15, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I feel like it's too short for a panel show. The middle part is the straight discussion part, and it feels like no one even gets to complete their thoughts.
Old 01-23-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not great, more of a meh for me. Don't like the panel for the same reason as above, it's just too short. Maybe if they cut to one or two people it wouldn't seem stilted as it is. Definitely expecting growing pains, but I'm disappointed so far.
Old 01-24-15, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are my thoughts...

For whatever reason, I think the opening set up for the show, which lasts 30 seconds is the best part. Wilmore seems the most comfortable there.

As for the rest of the show, the thing I can't help shake is that Wilmore is a bit bland. He seems like a nice guy, but just a little...shy maybe? Like, he wouldn't be the person at a party people would instantly gravitate to in my mind. Doesn't mean he doesn't have good, strong opinions, but he doesn't stand out in a crowd. And I think any TV host has to do that.

The Panel discussion is a majority of the show, but it's fairly weak. I think it works better in the way Maher does it...Mahers guests, whatever side they lean are, are all pretty serious. The host is the one that adds the comedy slant. On Wilmore's show, I feel he's taking a backseat to some of his own guests that are comedians.
Old 01-24-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
The Panel discussion is a majority of the show, but it's fairly weak. I think it works better in the way Maher does it...Mahers guests, whatever side they lean are, are all pretty serious. The host is the one that adds the comedy slant...
Man, I remember the original Politically Incorrect, back on Comedy Central. Back then, it was Maher, 3 comedians/entertainers, and one clearly out-of-their-element politician. That was just non-stop jokes. I stopped watching Maher shortly after Politically Incorrect moved to ABC, it got too self-serious.
Old 01-24-15, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Man, I remember the original Politically Incorrect, back on Comedy Central. Back then, it was Maher, 3 comedians/entertainers, and one clearly out-of-their-element politician. That was just non-stop jokes. I stopped watching Maher shortly after Politically Incorrect moved to ABC, it got too self-serious.
Yeah, I mean I guess in theory it can work. I just kind of think, if you're going to have a show that dedicates itself to talking about serious topics, seriously discuss them. That doesn't mean it can't have comedy--it is Comedy Central--but I think these Stewart and Colbert shows work because people feel like they are both having fun, laughing, and learning. I think Wilmore's show is missing that last element. Maybe they don't want it to have that informative element, but I haven't felt like I've walked away from watching any episode this week feeling like I both laughed and learned something new or appreciated a different perspective on a given topic.
Old 01-26-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This show is horribly unfunny and everytime he says "keeping it 100" I want to stab him in the throat.
Old 01-27-15, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

It's just that they put too many people on that panel for the one segment they have it for. They need to cut it back by at least one - which seems to be the one jackass who tries to be funny but fails terribly so.

They really need to reconsider the panel idea or at least cut back on it. It's just not working out well.
Old 01-27-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
It's just that they put too many people on that panel for the one segment they have it for. They need to cut it back by at least one - which seems to be the one jackass who tries to be funny but fails terribly so.

They really need to reconsider the panel idea or at least cut back on it. It's just not working out well.

Yeah, it would have been a hell of a lot better last night without the Canadian lesbian... She dragged it way down.
Old 02-01-15, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good article/interview with Larry Wilmore about the show:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ts-bill-767446
Old 02-03-15, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Good show tonight. I don't agree with this whole fat acceptance movement, but I also admit as a skinny person I can't fully grasp the struggle. I know some people are more susceptible to gaining weight than others. As a teen I used to eat 6 Chips A'hoy and a Mt. Dew right before bed and couldnt gain a pound. If I had to guess, the fat chick on the panel was fat from the time she was a little girl. That's not her fault because she didnt choose her food and I'm sure her parents gave her way too much junk. By the time you're a 150 lb 10 year old, the battle is all but lost.

It sickens me to see children gorging on candy and soda. Hopefully society starts to change away from that trend eventually.
Old 03-24-15, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Is it just me, or has this show gotten progressively worse? It seems less and less funny each week, and the topics aren't particularly interesting either. I've pretty much stopped watching, and everyone I know who started watching has given up as well. Wilmore seems to care less about his delivery as well, and comes off like he doesn't care and hasn't prepared. It would be interesting to see it's ratings.
Old 03-24-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I stopped a couple weeks ago.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.