Reload this Page >

Marvel's Agent Carter coming to ABC next season

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-08-14, 10:59 PM

Received 4,554 Likes on 3,089 Posts

I thought this deserved its own thread.

ABC is doubling down on its Marvel fare for the 2014-15 broadcast season.

The network has ordered Agent Carter -- based on the Captain America one-shot on the Iron Man 3 DVD -- straight to series and renewed Agents of SHIELD for a second season.

From showrunners Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas (ABC's midseason drama Resurrection, Reaper) the drama stars Captain America's Hayley Atwell and takes place a year after the events of Captain America: The First Avenger. It follows Steve Rogers' (Chris Evans) girlfriend Agent Carter (Atwell) as she builds her career as a secret agent while the hero is frozen in ice. (Watch the one-shot, above.) Steve McFeeley, Christopher Marcus and Marvel's Jeph Loeb exec produce.

The story is set in 1946 and peace has dealt Peggy Carter a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life -- Steve Rogers. Inspired by the feature films Captain America: The First Avenger and Captain America: The Winter Soldier, along with the short Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter.

The script was penned by Captain America duo Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeeley, with producers Marvel Entertainment keeping the project under wraps. The drama, from ABC Studios and Marvel Entertainment, was never picked up to pilot with a rumored presentation filmed for executives. Marvel TV's Jeffrey Bell and Jeph Loeb exec produce.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Agent Carter will be a short-order series and likely used as a "bridge show" to air during the second season hiatus of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, with both series ultimately being tied-in together.

"That certainly has a good chance to be on the network," ABC Entertainment Group president Paul Lee told reporters in January of Agent Carter.

With Agent Carter, ABC now has two Marvel series on the air. It joins Agents of SHIELD -- Marvel Entertainment's first live-action primetime scripted series -- at the network.

Marvel Entertainment's first foray into live-action scripted fare, The Avengers TV spinoff opened Sept. 24 against stiff competition from The Voice and NCIS and collected a 4.7 rating among adults 18-49 and 11.9 million viewers, ranking as the top network drama premiere since ABC's V in 2009. Opening the night at 8 p.m., it topped both Voice and NCIS episode in the demo. Week two was not the same story though. Going head-to-head with Cote de Pablo's final NCIS episode, the comic-themed drama from EPs Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon andMaurissa Tancharoen lost a third of its massive demo haul -- notching a 3.1 and 8.4 million viewers. The series, which scored a creative rejuvenation thanks to its long-planned Captain America tie-in, is a sold performer among young men and sees its 2.5 million adults 18-49 rating grow more than 60 percent to 4.1 million after seven days of delayed viewing. While not the four-quadrant show ABC's Paul Lee had hoped for, it still ranks as ABC's highest-rated freshman drama in the key demo.

Meanwhile, Marvel is still prepping four series -- Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage -- and a mini (The Defenders) via its partnership with Netflix, with the first due in 2015.

With the pickup, writing partners Butters -- who is married to Arrow exec producer Marc Guggenheim-- and Fazekas will now have two series on the air.
<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x1b8lwz" allowfullscreen></iframe>
[ซับไทย] Marvel One-Shot Agent Carter by thaisubjackal

Old 05-08-14, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts
Re: Marvel's Agent Carter coming to ABC next season

That's actually a really good idea to use this as a bridge for the Fall and Spring seasons of Agents of Shield. I can see this getting a 13 episode order. Agents of Shield will probably air 11 episodes in the Fall, take the 3 month break and then air the final 11 episodes in a row.

This way you get non-stop Marvel content for 7-8 months.
Old 05-09-14, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Will it revolutionize TV?
Old 05-09-14, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Somehow I never got around to watching that One Shot, I'll have to do that this weekend
Old 05-09-14, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrow, Flash, SHIELD, Gotham, this project and whatever Netflix has going with Marvel. The concept of oversaturation really dosent exist in the entetainment industry does it?
Old 05-09-14, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

If it maintains the quality of the excellent short, I will tune in.
Old 05-09-14, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I was in at Hayley Ateell, but this is frok the team behind "Reaper"?!

Nice.
Old 05-09-14, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yes! The short was great. Hopefully they can maintain that tone.
Old 05-09-14, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Trophy Wife is indeed cancelled, I wonder if Bradley Whitford will join?
Old 05-09-14, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
That's actually a really good idea to use this as a bridge for the Fall and Spring seasons of Agents of Shield. I can see this getting a 13 episode order. Agents of Shield will probably air 11 episodes in the Fall, take the 3 month break and then air the final 11 episodes in a row.

This way you get non-stop Marvel content for 7-8 months.
That's how they should do it. I think it was a little difficult this year because they tried to do 2 movie tie-ins (November and April). So that probably was a little tricky scheduling wise. But regardless, the way they aired things this year was completely hurtful for the show.

Next year... the season starts after GoTG... they can tie in, but atleast its after the fact. They only really need to make sure they match up with Avengers 2 in May. So like you said, run continuously from fall til winter, take a break while Carter fill in, returns in Spring for a final run with no breaks.
Old 05-09-14, 08:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This should be cool, as long as Captain America and Bucky stop in for cameos every now and then.
Old 05-09-14, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
This should be cool, as long as Captain America and Bucky stop in for cameos every now and then.
Cap would be frozen in ice during this period. Bucky... is probably in a lab somewhere. We could possibly eventually see early Winter Soldier story lines.

If you watch the short... we could get Howard Stark regularly. Dum Dum Dugan...or any other of the soldiers in his squad from the first movie.

But those 2 are pretty much unlikely.
Old 05-09-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Will it revolutionize TV?
It might have a story arc that revolutionizes media by bridging Movies and Television.

We make fun of Agents of Shield, but Marvel/ABC did something that has never been done before.
Old 05-09-14, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I think this has far more potential as a great series than Agents of SHIELD had. I am looking forward to seeing this and especially the lovely Miss Atwell.
Old 05-09-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The short was great. I hope they have Neal McDonough around, too.
Old 05-09-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the one shot was the best one they've done, so I'm definitely looking forward to this.
Old 05-09-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Sure, because this will be the look at how Hydra infiltrates SHIELD.
Old 05-09-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Alias set in the 1940s. ABC's execs have repeatedly tried applying that formula over and over again in the past decade. Someone in the front offices must have loved that show.
Old 05-09-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

So this is like Agents of SHIELD crossed with The Playboy Club?

I saw IM3 in theaters and didn't need to see it again so I had no idea there was an Agent Carter short. I like Atwell and the concept so I'd be in for a short-run series.
Old 05-09-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Hayley Atwell is so hot in Cap 1 that I was hoping they found a way to keep using her. I'm so in for this even though I don't watch Agents of Shield at all.
Old 05-09-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Arrow, Flash, SHIELD, Gotham, this project and whatever Netflix has going with Marvel. The concept of oversaturation really dosent exist in the entetainment industry does it?
If the concepts and execution are different enough, does it really matter? There're lots of police shows on television, but they tend to be different enough that it doesn't feel like oversaturation of those.
Old 05-09-14, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, it's not like they're all straight up super hero shows. Arrow and Flash are in that mold, but SHIELD and Gotham feel like different concepts to me.
Old 05-09-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts

As has been said - if they can keep the tone and style of the Agent Carter one shot then this will be a great show. I'm totally in.

I love the Agent Carter one shot. She's a badass!

And having some of the Howling Commandos make guest appearances would be awesome!
Old 05-10-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I don't think this show will have much, if anything, to do with superheroes.
Old 05-15-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agent Carter will take the place of SHIELD during it's mid-season breaks...

I could see them doing some kind of time travel, time travel is my favorite SFI Theme.
-But, they could also have her solve some kind of mystery and hide info/something for SHIELD to find in the future to defeat the same foe.
-Coulson could also try to rebuild SHIELD in the same image Carter did when she was co-leading SHIELD.
***He could look up old documents/film from her, this could be the way to start out her show and tie them together.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.