Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. -- "The Only Light in the Darkness" -- 4/22/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. -- "The Only Light in the Darkness" -- 4/22/14

Old 04-23-14, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. -- "The Only Light in the Darkness" -- 4/22/14

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Was there some easter egg on that license plate? I didn't know what the significance of that was.
I would guess some point in PA is 500 miles to some other point in Ontario. By the way, did anyone plot the Lat/Long that Fury sent to Coulson's badge? Is it up north somewhere?
Old 04-23-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. -- "The Only Light in the Darkness" -- 4/22/14

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
I would guess some point in PA is 500 miles to some other point in Ontario. By the way, did anyone plot the Lat/Long that Fury sent to Coulson's badge? Is it up north somewhere?
The coordinates on his shield are definitely somewhere in the wilds of northern Ontario. I generated the following map with a 500 mile radius around those coordinates:

Map

The base is almost exactly 500 miles from the PA border. So, depending on how far May travelled before being picked up, this would definitely put her Mom coming from somewhere in PA.
Old 04-23-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

I don't remember the reveal about the dude's grandfather being a Howling Commando. That was kind of a cool tie-in.
Old 04-23-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Tsai Chin was in Joy Luck Club, but she played Ming Na's aunt.
Correct. She played Auntie Lindo, Tamlyn Tomita's mom. I actually shouted "Auntie Lindo!" at the TV when they showed her.
Old 04-23-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Correct. She played Auntie Lindo, Tamlyn Tomita's mom. I actually shouted "Auntie Lindo!" at the TV when they showed her.
Tamlyn Tomita AND Ming Na Wen in the same movie? I don't think I could handle that - my head might just explode! (Or I'd just have a heart attack...)

Too much good stuff there for any one mere mortal to handle.
Old 04-23-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I thought they kind of wasted Amy Acker's cameo role. They could have cast practically anyone in that role. The past romance between her and Coulson rang hollow.

I don't think Ward survives this season, unless he becomes a HYDRA big wig.
Old 04-24-14, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

At this point they seriously cannot do a take back on Ward............oh wait. MIND CONTROL! I rather not go there.
Old 04-24-14, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Or clones?
Old 04-24-14, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Shinobi
Ward has become so much fun to watch. Is anyone else here rooting for him over the SHIELD agents?

The fact that he
Spoiler:
killed Patton Oswalt
just made him even more likable in my eyes.
Spoiler:
I wanted Boyd Crowder to do the same thing.
Old 04-24-14, 09:39 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I thought they kind of wasted Amy Acker's cameo role. They could have cast practically anyone in that role. The past romance between her and Coulson rang hollow.
I'm sure she'll be back. She's a Whedon mainstay.
Old 04-24-14, 11:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave
The coordinates on his shield are definitely somewhere in the wilds of northern Ontario. I generated the following map with a 500 mile radius around those coordinates:

Map

The base is almost exactly 500 miles from the PA border. So, depending on how far May travelled before being picked up, this would definitely put her Mom coming from somewhere in PA.
Cool. Thanks!
Old 04-24-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

That was kind of dick on Coulson's part. She's obviously trying to move on, dude.
Old 04-24-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gooter
or clones?

Life Model Decoy.
Old 04-24-14, 12:34 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Think I will just wait until the inevitable Netflix addition in September or if the whole season is on Hulu Plus for the summer (which happens with some shows).
Old 04-24-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack
Think I will just wait until the inevitable Netflix addition in September or if the whole season is on Hulu Plus for the summer (which happens with some shows).
I'm positive this show will get a Blu-ray release. Home video sales will be a critical factor going forward for this show's survival.
Old 04-24-14, 01:45 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm positive this show will get a Blu-ray release. Home video sales will be a critical factor going forward for this show's survival.
It isn't that serious. Plus a series getting a second season has nothing to do with home video sales. Networks decide that before a first season is even over, typically. There's no way a September home video release will be a determining factor for season 2.
Old 04-24-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Home video sales are non-existent for television shows now thanks due to Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, etc.

The show has all but been confirmed for a second-season. The show is produced by ABC/Disney/Marvel and kills in the 18-34 demo. It's a guarantee.
Old 04-24-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

People don't understand modern television if they think home video sales are not a huge factor. It's from the production side, greater home video sales can mean slightly reduced licensing fees to the network, increasing the chance of a renewal. A show like SHIELD has many business considerations beyond a simple ratings' call.

SHIELD was always going to get a second season, that was almost guaranteed before it ever aired. This was Disney/Marvel/ABC's first attempt to establish the hugely successful Marvel film brand on television. It's been a disappointment in the ratings for them but ABC itself was never the best demographic fit for Marvel.
Old 04-24-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

People don't understand modern television if they think home video sales are not a huge factor.
Has that been the case? Undeniably. Is it currently the case? I can't imagine it is. Sales have fallen off a cliff, hit another cliff on the way down, and then fell off that one too.

As for high-def home video specifically, oodles of popular shows don't get Blu-ray releases. Even series that had a Blu-ray release for one or more seasons will sometimes drop the format and go DVD only. Heck, some popular series are even getting online-exclusive, MOD DVD releases only. It's rough out there. (I am expecting a Blu-ray release of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., though.)
Old 04-24-14, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
As for high-def home video specifically, oodles of popular shows don't get Blu-ray releases. Even series that had a Blu-ray release for one or more seasons will sometimes drop the format and go DVD only. Heck, some popular series are even getting online-exclusive, MOD DVD releases only. It's rough out there. (I am expecting a Blu-ray release of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., though.)
They view the home video release as a promotional platform as much as anything else these days, in the hopes people that skipped it on television will become fans through DVDs and BDs. Especially first seasons to build the overall fanbase.

Mutant Enemy shows do well on home video, though this is obviously not a full Joss Whedon product.
Old 04-25-14, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wonder if it's become harder for studios to profit from shows? It used to be funded by the advertising and reruns, and I'm sure once shows started coming out in boxed sets, the newfound market was huge, but now so much is done via streaming. Obviously, they must have ways of keeping things financially viable, but I wonder how much of a change in the business model it necessitates? I think this might do Well for itself on the basis of being connected to a massive megabucks franchise though.
Old 04-25-14, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
I root for everyone to die except May but including Ward every episode. I was screaming at Skye last night "You can fucking track him about the facility! Why are you panicking? You're another incompetent shitty SHIELD agent!"
Oh c'mon - any other show would have turned it into a hostage situation with Skye confronting Ward, he ties her up or knocks her out and kidnaps her and the chase is on. Instead she pulled her shit together and played HIM. That's a much better decision.
Old 04-25-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cleaver
I root for everyone to die except May but including Ward every episode. I was screaming at Skye last night "You can fucking track him about the facility! Why are you panicking? You're another incompetent shitty SHIELD agent!"
Yeah, I'm ok with Skye, someone that's only been in this life for a few months, having a momentary freakout at the sudden revelation that somebody she trusted implicitly is actually a vicious and brutal murderer and now he's coming after her. Just because she can see him coming doesn't mean she's going to be able to stop him once he catches up to her.
Old 04-25-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

They view the home video release as a promotional platform as much as anything else these days, in the hopes people that skipped it on television will become fans through DVDs and BDs.
I just feel like that's a very past tense statement, and streaming ought to be the dominant part of that conversation. I'm not arguing that home video sales don't matter, but I don't think it's a "critical factor" or "huge factor" to the extent it once was.
Old 04-25-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's not.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.