Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "Breaker of Chains" -- 4/20/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Game of Thrones -- "Breaker of Chains" -- 4/20/14

Tyrion ponders his options. Tywin (Charles Dance) extends an olive branch. Sam (John Bradley) realizes Castle Black isn't safe, and Jon proposes a bold plan. The Hound (Rory McCann) teaches Arya the way things are. Dany chooses her champion.

Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Alex Graves.

Episode 3 of 10
Old 04-20-14, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "Breaker of Chains" -- 4/20/14

For the book readers it seems we are getting the Strong Belwas scene, just with a different character
Old 04-20-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the fallout in King's Landing, should be entertaining.
Old 04-20-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Time to go brew shopping for tonight!
Old 04-20-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
For the book readers it seems we are getting the Strong Belwas scene, just with a different character
Cutting Strong Belwas is one of the few missteps in the consolidation of the series so far. I think his character is so different that it adds a lot of depth to the series and should have been included.
Old 04-20-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

He has a fight and then vomits two books later.
Old 04-20-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Time to go brew shopping for tonight!
Speaking of brew, I picked up a bottle of the Fire and Blood Red Ale. Has anyone else tried this yet? The parts with the chilies makes me kind of nervous since I'm not big fan of spicy beers but couldn't pass up grabbing one.

Old 04-20-14, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ It's actually pretty good, but I recommend letting it breathe a bit before drinking. It doesn't have fire in the name for nothing.

This show is really starting to take its own direction, and it kind of has to do so. Major events will remain the same, but the path will change. Littlefinger mentioned tonight that several years have passed since the start of the story, which explains how all of the kid characters in the books have aged. Even Joffrey's little brother is now an adolescent. Curious if they will do the same with Illyia's kid.
Old 04-20-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Okay, aside from the first five minutes and last ten, I have no problem with those who will call this one filler. If they are going to try to just cover the second half of Storm of Swords and even a little of Feast, they will have to do this.

I don't remember much about the cannibalistic wildling group in the book. Were they as prominent? Been a couple of years.
Old 04-20-14, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So if Tommen were to die, is the next in line Stannis? I think that he would automatically be the king then and Tywin wouldn't be able to do anything about it. That must be why he was so eager to teach Tommen about the birds and the bees...so that he can produce an heir so Tywin can retain his power.

I'm guessing that Littlefinger wants to eventually marry Sansa? Since he was in love with Catelyn Stark and she's the next best thing and definitely better than Cat's crazy sister.

I was hoping the little boy would tell John Snow specifically about the red haired woman.
Old 04-20-14, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
So if Tommen were to die, is the next in line Stannis? I think that he would automatically be the king then and Tywin wouldn't be able to do anything about it. That must be why he was so eager to teach Tommen about the birds and the bees...so that he can produce an heir so Tywin can retain his power.

I'm guessing that Littlefinger wants to eventually marry Sansa? Since he was in love with Catelyn Stark and she's the next best thing and definitely better than Cat's crazy sister.

I was hoping the little boy would tell John Snow specifically about the red haired woman.
Next in line is Mycella, shipped off to dorne to marry Oberlyn's nephew

Little finger is bethroded to Sansa's Aunt, Catlyn's syster Lysa, briefly seen in S1 breast feeding her 10 year old son
After the war Littlefinger was given Harrenhal, will marry the into ruling the Vale, and have a daughter of the North in his pocket
Old 04-20-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Do you remember when when Cersei ripped up King Robert's final words? Tommen could die tomorrow but, without a lot of support Stannis is in the same position. Robb could've rode down to Kings Landing killed Joffrey and taken the iron throne if he wanted. All he would've needed were enough powerful allies.
Old 04-20-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Next in line is Mycella, shipped off to dorne to marry Oberlyn's nephew
I always thought that females weren't considered to be rightful heirs (in this world) which is why everyone always wants to have a male heir. So is Sansa the rightful heir to whatever's left of Winterfell now? I thought it went all the way down to Bran or was he just in charge while he was there?

I guess that would explain why Dany considers herself to be the rightful heir...I thought it was because she had no direct living male relatives. So if Joffrey had an older sister, would she have become queen instead of Joffrey becoming king?

So what are the exact rules of succession followed in this kingdom?
Old 04-20-14, 10:21 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Tommen could die tomorrow but, without a lot of support Stannis is in the same position.
Yep, the new leige lords in the North and Riverlands owe their spots to Tywin. The Tyrells have opposed Stannis every step of the way backing Renly, then Joffery.

Stannis would be in the same spot he is now, claiming the throne with no way to take it.
Old 04-20-14, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it when Daenerys speaks valyrian.
Old 04-20-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh, so Jaime raped Cersei right next to their son's corpse? Man, that family is really messed up.
Old 04-20-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They still think Bran and Rickon are dead. I think that is why Sansa is so important to them. I believe women only rule when there are no male heirs left, and even then, their main purpose is to squeeze out a new heir...
Old 04-20-14, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

I don't remember much about the cannibalistic wildling group in the book. Were they as prominent? Been a couple of years.
The cannibalism part was added to the show to make the Thenns more frightening. The leader is Styr. D&D have switched a bunch of things between Tormund and Styr. In the book, Styr is the one leading the raiding party to attack Castle Black.
Old 04-21-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Yeah, not my favorite episode besides the opening scenes and the end there. That final bit was pretty badass though. Why do all Dany's scenes have to be SO orange and teal? It would be one thing if that's just how she and her men are always dressed, but it's like all of Essos had the same interior designer. Also, isn't her last name Targaryen? Where did this Stormborn name come from? A title like Kahlisi or a moniker like "Mother of Dragons"?
Old 04-21-14, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Defiant1
so Jaime raped Cersei right next to their son's corpse?
With only one hand. Looks like his left hand training is coming in handy already.

This episode felt a little filler-ish to me, but I prefer to think of it more accurately as a sort of Denouement.

There were underlying things that didn't necessarily flesh out on screen that still filled my viewing experience. For instance, Tyrion looks up the creek. I felt bad for him last week with his bitter sister claiming he killed the king. I felt worse for him this week with his own father turning the screws. I haven't read the books, so I have no idea how this all plays out. I'd say they dare not kill one of my favorite characters in Tyrion, but after Ned followed by the Red Wedding, I'm not ruling anything out.

I know Tywin isn't necessarily Tyrion's biggest fan, but in the past he has always made a point of pointing out Tyrion's a Lannister. He made him acting Hand. He made him the equivalent of treasurer. I didn't expect him to so completely turn on Tyrion. I'm holding out hope things are not as they at first seem. People in this world tend to do things for reasons that aren't at all what they initially appear to be. Also, Tyrion may be a drunk and womanizer, but he has reminded us on more than one occasion that he enjoys outthinking people. I sure hope he can pull a rabbit out of his hat.

It'll be interesting to see how the "reformed" Jamie will respond to Tyrion's situation. On the one hand, he did say, "Tyrion's my brother." On the other hand, the show reminded us he's not exactly up for sainthood anytime soon.

Then we had the Wildling massacre, finding a home for the one Wildling mother, the Stannis progression, the Littlefinger reveal, and Dany starting the process of partnering with even more slaves.

Not a big "event" episode by any stretch of the imagination, but it seemed heavy on closing out some threads while setting others in position rather than nothing happening.
Old 04-21-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay
Speaking of brew, I picked up a bottle of the Fire and Blood Red Ale. Has anyone else tried this yet? The parts with the chilies makes me kind of nervous since I'm not big fan of spicy beers but couldn't pass up grabbing one.

It's actually really good, loved the spice from the chilies.
Old 04-21-14, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Also, isn't her last name Targaryen? Where did this Stormborn name come from?
She was born in a storm, hence the moniker "Stormborn". Dany has many, many nicknames, which the show and books have made a point of telling us.
Old 04-21-14, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How did Tywin know about Danny and the 3 dragons? I didn't read the books I don't remember if it came up in a prior season. He seems to be the only character that had a working idea of every single piece of action that is going on, which was quite admirable.
Old 04-21-14, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
How did Tywin know about Danny and the 3 dragons? I didn't read the books I don't remember if it came up in a prior season. He seems to be the only character that had a working idea of every single piece of action that is going on, which was quite admirable.
he's a wise man
Old 04-21-14, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Varys has spies everywhere.

As mentioned up thread, everyone thinks Bran and Rickon are dead. With Rob and the other true born male heirs "dead", that makes Sansa as the eldest female the heir to Winterfell. That's why the Tyrell's and Lannister's were jocking to marry her last year.

In the books, Rob try to supercede that by naming Jon his heir before he died, but since they didn't show that last year, and Rob's dead I don't think that's going to happen this year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.